Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derek Fisher

Started by root_hawg, April 26, 2014, 09:09:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Quote from: JayBell on May 20, 2014, 12:02:21 pm
Ha, I know, just showing there's no logical reason to dislike the Spurs unless you're a fan of one of their Western Conference foes.  Yet everyone calls them boring and would rather see OKC vs. Miami in the finals.  It's so weird.  We'd rather see horrible people play selfish basketball than watch the team that does it the right way.

For me it has nothing to do with the way they play.
It has to do with Duncan.
And honestly there's no logical reason for me to dislike him like I do.
I just do.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JayBell

Quote from: hoglady on May 20, 2014, 03:35:13 pmFor me it has nothing to do with the way they play.
I just do.

I can understand that.  What bugs me is when people try to make up reasons and try to slander guys like Duncan, Fisher, Battier, etc.

Jackrabbit Hog

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/10963466/kevin-durant-oklahoma-city-thunder-endorses-derek-fisher-coach-candidate

Kevin Durant said Tuesday that teammate Derek Fisher has all the attributes to make a good NBA coach, if that's the path his Oklahoma City Thunder teammate chooses after this season.

"Without a doubt. He's a smart guy, smart mind. He's a great motivator, great speaker and can really relate to a lot of guys and demands that respect from everybody," Durant told the New York Post. "He's a great locker room guy. I'm sure he'll do a great job."

Thunder forward Nick Collison also endorsed Fisher, saying he would make a "great" coach and lauding the veteran point guard for his leadership skills.

"He's unique, one-of-a-kind. The only guy I ever played with who can address the team in a way as a leader. He's able to address the team more so than anybody I played with, and he backs it up on the court, too," he told the newspaper.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dr. Starcs

I stopped listening to player endorsements when our players wanted John L.

rusvegashog

^^^^^^How true how true^^^^^^I chuckled, but only to keep from crying.

Dr. Starcs

Fisher coulda scored 34 and they woulda lost tonight.

rusvegashog

I'm loving it. Unless your just not a fan of San Antonio I don't know how you couldn't enjoy watching this TEAM play basketball.

Dr. Starcs

^^^^
Exactly! And I don't really know what's to dislike about sa.

Sounds like ibaka could be back at some point.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 21, 2014, 11:20:55 am
I stopped listening to player endorsements when our players wanted John L.

Hindsight is sometimes not good.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

dhornjr1

Reports: Derek Fisher accepts Knicks job, finalizing five-year, $25 million contract

http://nba.si.com/2014/06/09/derek-fisher-coach-new-york-knicks/

QuoteDerek Fisher has agreed to become the head coach of the New York Knicks and is currently finalizing a five-year, $25 million contract, according to reports.

The development was first reported by Frank Isola of the New York Daily News and the terms of Fisher's deal were later revaled by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

Fisher, 39, played 17.6 minutes per game off the bench for the Thunder this season. He was a regular contributor throughout Oklahoma City's run to the Western Conference finals and all the while a prominent figure in the Knicks coaching search.

New York reportedly held interest in Fisher as a coaching candidate for months, in large part due to his nine seasons as a point guard under Phil Jackson, who now serves as the Knicks' team president. Not only would their established working relationship help to smooth over relations between New York's coaching staff and front office, but Fisher's familiarity with the triangle offense could help in the potential installation of that system. Jackson even went as far as to discuss the possibility of Fisher coaching the team publicly, for which he was tagged with a $25,000 tampering fine.

"The last two summers, Derek and I have talked about the next step in his career," Jackson said during a press conference last week. "So I kind of know what he wants to do, and his feelings. He's got family in L.A. He's got little kids still in L.A. I have no idea if he wants to move his family and come here. Those are things that he would have to express. There are so many unknowns."

When asked whether he would be willing to venture outside of his circle to find a new coach, Jackson responded simply: "I have a big circle." Fisher very much falls within it, as do the early reported candidates to fill out his staff. Former Jackson assistant (and current Lakers assistant) Kurt Rambis will likely join Fisher on the bench as an assistant, per Howard Beck of Bleacher Report. Rick Fox, Bill Cartwright, and Luke Walton — all of whom played under Jackson — are also reported to be in the running.

The Lakers also had expressed some interest in Fisher, but reportedly decided to remove the point guard from their coaching search and focus on more experienced candidates. Fisher, though an 18-year veteran, is a complete newcomer to the coaching scene. The same was true of Nets head coach Jason Kidd — a similarly tenured point guard who took Brooklyn to the second round of the 2014 playoffs in the season immediately following his retirement. Steve Kerr, who verbally agreed to take the Knicks job in May only to change course, will also be a first-time head coach this coming season with the Warriors. Kerr reportedly signed a five-year, $25 million contract similar to Fisher's.

The Knicks scheduled a press conference for Tuesday to make a "major announcement."

popcornhog

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 27, 2014, 09:24:20 pm
Why should we care about Derek Fisher? He's an awful basketball player whose only crowning achievements have been playing for good teams (unlike Robert Horry, who was actually good) and getting forcibly removed as head of the players' union.
He hit a couple of big shots throughout the years, but that's it. He's been a below-average point guard basically his entire career. No offense to the OP, I just am so sick of media love for him.

You can certainly argue that he gets too much love but terrible?

Lolcatz
WPS

hoglady

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 27, 2014, 09:24:20 pm
Why should we care about Derek Fisher? He's an awful basketball player whose only crowning achievements have been playing for good teams (unlike Robert Horry, who was actually good) and getting forcibly removed as head of the players' union.
He hit a couple of big shots throughout the years, but that's it. He's been a below-average point guard basically his entire career. No offense to the OP, I just am so sick of media love for him.

For starters - he's an Arkansas boy who made it big.
He represents himself, the league, the players and his home state well.
The NBA would be a lot better off with a few more like him.
Arkansas folks as a whole take pride in the accomplishments of one of our own.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

HogFaninMemphis

I'm happy for him getting the head coaching job. Being a leader with no great basketball smarts should make him a good head coach. I don't hate Derek Fisher or his accomplishments, just thought he was overrated as a player. I think his skills will translate better than Jason Kidd's.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: hoglady on May 20, 2014, 03:35:13 pm
For me it has nothing to do with the way they play.
I just do.

I know what you mean...I feel the same about Lebron. But I know why I dont like him logical or not.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

hoglady

Quote from: HawgnCorona on June 10, 2014, 04:20:29 pm
I know what you mean...I feel the same about Lebron. But I know why I dont like him logical or not.

Well I don't like Lebron either.
I am rooting for the Spurs 100% in spite of Duncan.

rusvegashog

Quote from: hoglady on June 10, 2014, 09:28:16 am
For starters - he's an Arkansas boy who made it big.
He represents himself, the league, the players and his home state well.
The NBA would be a lot better off with a few more like him.
Arkansas folks as a whole take pride in the accomplishments of one of our own.
I couldn't agree more. Fisher reminds me a lot of Mark Martin w how they strap up and put in the work every single day. Their respect and admiration from their peers is well documented and as a fan of sports and these Arkansas athletes I truly appreciate the way they represent us. Just my two cents worth.