Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derek Fisher

Started by root_hawg, April 26, 2014, 09:09:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

Just tied Big shot bob for most career playoff games in career

latrops

From the department of redundancy department?

latrops

Kinds surprised he is still playing....don't recall any news on him in a couple of years.

Hogarusa

Quote from: latrops on April 27, 2014, 08:38:45 am
Kinds surprised he is still playing....don't recall any news on him in a couple of years.

So what you are saying is you dont watch any NBA
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: lowberh on April 27, 2014, 05:51:48 pm
So what you are saying is you dont watch any NBA

LOL. I sure doesn't know Pargo is still playing either.

root_hawg

Pat Beverly still playing as well

HogFaninMemphis

Why should we care about Derek Fisher? He's an awful basketball player whose only crowning achievements have been playing for good teams (unlike Robert Horry, who was actually good) and getting forcibly removed as head of the players' union.
He hit a couple of big shots throughout the years, but that's it. He's been a below-average point guard basically his entire career. No offense to the OP, I just am so sick of media love for him.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 27, 2014, 09:24:20 pm
Why should we care about Derek Fisher? He's an awful basketball player whose only crowning achievements have been playing for good teams (unlike Robert Horry, who was actually good) and getting forcibly removed as head of the players' union.
He hit a couple of big shots throughout the years, but that's it. He's been a below-average point guard basically his entire career. No offense to the OP, I just am so sick of media love for him.

He has played for so long because he is a great teammate and leader on the floor and locker room. Most coaches want unselfish players.

Pork Twain

Is he still playing basketball in the National Basketball Association for basketball players playing basketball?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: bigrod155 on April 27, 2014, 09:35:51 pm
He has played for so long because he is a great teammate and leader on the floor and locker room. Most coaches want unselfish players.

But he's horrible. He can't play defense and really isn't a very good shooter, so being a leader is pretty helpless when there's no ability attached.

sickboy

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 27, 2014, 11:41:29 pm
But he's horrible. He can't play defense and really isn't a very good shooter, so being a leader is pretty helpless when there's no ability attached.

Then why has he been a point guard in the league for nearly 20 years? Most of which as a starter on a multi championship dynasty... You don't do that if you're horrible with no ability.

Mick Hogger

Yeah there was a reason that Kobe and Shaq both loved to play with Derek. If we was just average at his age, he wouldn't be getting contracts.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

ifghog

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 27, 2014, 11:41:29 pm
Yeah man he is what you call a clutch player. He hits the big shot and brings strong leadership to the locker room and court. He is an average player talent wise but has big time clutch skills.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: ifghog on April 28, 2014, 01:47:46 pm
Yeah man he is what you call a clutch player. He hits the big shot and brings strong leadership to the locker room and court. He is an average player talent wise but has big time clutch skills.
average + clutch = valuable
terrible + clutch = below average overall
He's a big reason Udrih has had a good series for the Grizzlies against OKC.

DeltaBoy

He was Great at UALR and been great in the NBA!  He is a solid blue collar hardworking player with Big game Clutch skills.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

arkhogball

I wish I were so terrible at basketball!!!
He gets paid a lot of money to be a bad basketball player.

The_Iceman

Quote from: latrops on April 27, 2014, 08:37:15 am
From the department of redundancy department?

I'll +1 you for that, since no one else appreciated it. :)

The_Iceman

Why, at 39 years old, do you think professional basketball teams are still putting him on their rosters?

Is he the most talented player to ever play? No. But to shoot 38% career from 3-pt and 80%+ career from the FT line in impressive. He was a consistent 10pt, 4 asts, 1 stl, 1 TO a game player in his prime that understood his role on the team and showed great leadership and poise in the biggest moments.

k.c.hawg

You might want to check your facts before posting crap and reciting headlines you heard. Billy Hunter was forcibly removed from the union after making false accusations against Fisher and others. An independent investigation found Hunters accusations to be false and he was ousted from the union. Fisher served his term until it expired. Hunter filed lawsuits against Fisher, Kobe Bryant and anyone else he could throw in (trying to collect $10 million he was owed by the union for the rest of his contract) and most of that lawsuit has been thrown out as baseless. Your statement couldn't have been further from the truth.

As far as Fisher as a player, a man with 11 rings wanted him on the floor running his offense for him. Of course he isn't going to have the gaudy statistics you need to validate him being a good player, playing with the offensive forces he played with. And Joe Montana can't begin to put his stat line up against Dan Marino's but some coaches put a tremendous value on having a player that can go out on the court or the field and get every other player out there to execute the coach's game plan, his offense, exactly as he envisions. Throw in the fact that the guy can hit some of the most clutch shots in NBA playoff history and that makes him a memorable player that deserves the run he gets. I've never been a Derek Fisher fan as I never liked the Lakers except during the old Showtime era but your post was full of inaccuracies and lame opinion so I felt obligated to defend the guy.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

trashcan maN

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 07, 2014, 09:28:05 am
You might want to check your facts before posting crap and reciting headlines you heard. Billy Hunter was forcibly removed from the union after making false accusations against Fisher and others. An independent investigation found Hunters accusations to be false and he was ousted from the union. Fisher served his term until it expired. Hunter filed lawsuits against Fisher, Kobe Bryant and anyone else he could throw in (trying to collect $10 million he was owed by the union for the rest of his contract) and most of that lawsuit has been thrown out as baseless. Your statement couldn't have been further from the truth.

As far as Fisher as a player, a man with 11 rings wanted him on the floor running his offense for him. Of course he isn't going to have the gaudy statistics you need to validate him being a good player, playing with the offensive forces he played with. And Joe Montana can't begin to put his stat line up against Dan Marino's but some coaches put a tremendous value on having a player that can go out on the court or the field and get every other player out there to execute the coach's game plan, his offense, exactly as he envisions. Throw in the fact that the guy can hit some of the most clutch shots in NBA playoff history and that makes him a memorable player that deserves the run he gets. I've never been a Derek Fisher fan as I never liked the Lakers except during the old Showtime era but your post was full of inaccuracies and lame opinion so I felt obligated to defend the guy.
You just won the thread.

hoglady

Don't know why anyone would want to downgrade Fisher's accomplishments.
What Fisher has always had going for him - smarts, an understanding of the game, confidence and probably the hardest worker on the team.
Fisher is Kobe's favorite teammate ever, the OKC players have tried to talk him out of retirement all year / I don't think that happens to players who bring nothing to the table.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rusvegashog

I've lived in Arkansas since 1985 and the only time(s) I've watched UALR play D Fish played for them. He's always been able to ball. They aren't making any more roster spots and he's still in the league after all this time. Not every player is Isiah or Lebron. I HATE the Lakers, but I've always pulled for the cat from Arkansas. By representing himself well he represents our state(us) well. No one is mistaking him for Magic Johnson, but his success is not unmerited. Kids look up to athletes, he'd be a good one to emulate. Ill step down off this soap box now

Hogfaniam

With BIG apologies to Marc Cohn and HFiM.  I just couldn't resist.

Trollin' In Memphis

Put on my blue suede shoes
And I boarded the plane
Trolled down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the pouring rain

Larry Finch
Won't you look down over me
Yeah, I got a first class ticket
But I'm as blue as a troll can be

Then I'm trolling in Memphis
Was trolling with my keyboard, ten feet off of Beale
Trolling in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel

Saw the ghost of Don Poier
On Union Avenue
Followed him up to the gates of The pyramid
Then I watched him walk right through

Now security they did not see him
They just hovered 'round the tomb of doom
But there's a microphone, waiting for the king
Down in the Media Room

When I was trolling in Memphis
I was trolling with my keyboard, ten feet off of Beale
Trolling in Memphis

They've got catfish on the table
They've got gospel in the air
And Reverend Green, be glad to see you
When you haven't got a prayer
Boy, you got a prayer in Memphis

Now Muriel, plays piano
Every Friday at the Hollywood
And they brought me down to see her
And they asked me if I would

To do a little number
And I sang with all my might
She said, "Tell me are you a Troll, child?"
And I said, "Ma'am, I am tonight"

Trolling in Memphis
(Trolling in Memphis)
I was trolling with my cellphone, ten feet off of Beale
Trolling in Memphis
(Trolling in Memphis)

Trolling in Memphis
(Trolling in Memphis)
I was trolling with my iPad, ten feet off of Beale
Trolling in Memphis
(trolling in Memphis)

Put on my blue suede shoes
And I boarded the plane

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

TrueBlue

In a world of sports that is dominated by the self-centered, narcissistic, wreck-less, morally challenged athlete, Derek is definitely a breath of fresh air. I too have never liked the Lakers, but I have always been as supportive of him as he is to the state of Arkansas. I would love to see him be the HC of UALR. A very good ambassador to the state who presents himself with class every time he is in front of a microphone.

JayBell

LRrazorback

Great to see for a guy who was about the 3/4th best on his high school team.  If you remember, he was on the Parkview team that won two straight championships and Maurice Robinson (Fla.St/Ok St.) was the big man in the middle and was highly recruited, Dion Cross (Stanford) still holds shooting records at Stanford, and another player Marcus Taylor? went to a high D1 college.  In all, around 7-8 guys went D1 from that Parkview team.  If I remember, Derek's only D1 scholarship was UALR. 

Hog Fan from Camden

You have got to be kidding, right?

hoglady

Quote from: LRrazorback on May 08, 2014, 09:34:41 am
Great to see for a guy who was about the 3/4th best on his high school team.  If you remember, he was on the Parkview team that won two straight championships and Maurice Robinson (Fla.St/Ok St.) was the big man in the middle and was highly recruited, Dion Cross (Stanford) still holds shooting records at Stanford, and another player Marcus Taylor? went to a high D1 college.  In all, around 7-8 guys went D1 from that Parkview team.  If I remember, Derek's only D1 scholarship was UALR. 

True - and I think the coaches had to beg Jim Platt to take him. Derek was a GREAT player for UALR. I hardly ever missed a game back then and always enjoyed watching him play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

husker71

Read up about Billy Hunter if you want to read about nepotism and how it IMHO nearly destroyed the NBA players union.  For that guy who does not understand about why teams would want a 39 year old Fisher just look at Indiana a see what the trading of locker room leader Danny Granger has done to that team.  Derek is about as good as it gets in leading a positive locker room.

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: LRrazorback on May 08, 2014, 09:34:41 am

Quincy Lewis was on the Minnesota Final Four team on '97.  Parkview was loaded throughout the 90's.
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

CoachVisor

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

AWHAWG

Quote from: CoachVisor on May 10, 2014, 11:52:30 pm
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
He was a good trumpet player too.

k.c.hawg

Phil Jackson waiting to hire a coach for the Knicks until after he has a chance to interview Derek
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

TomBigBeeHog

Nice. Never expected Derek to be the player he was. Then he became a leading player rep and now being talked up as a coaching prospect. What's next, a run for the White House in 2016?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

870hogfan

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2898155/

Fisher sure did leave the Mavs on good terms...

sowmonella

Why do you keep embarrassing yourself with posts like these?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

rusvegashog

May 19, 2014, 08:45:49 pm #36 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:06:40 pm by rusvegashog
Somebody call a doctor cause D Fish has got a bad case of Boogie Fever. He's on fire.

Dr. Starcs

rusvegashog

All4Nodda. I'd like to see KD and Steph Curry play a game of horse. Old school for some McDonalds cheeseburgers, over the backboard nothing but net.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hoglady

Quote from: TomasPistola on May 20, 2014, 12:56:00 am
GO SPURS!

Go OKC!!
Spurs have probably been my least favorite team for over a decade.
Don't know why I just don't like Tim Duncan - if your eyes are truly the window to your soul - then Duncan looks like a Charles Manson.

JayBell

Quote from: hoglady on May 20, 2014, 08:25:17 amGo OKC!!
Spurs have probably been my least favorite team for over a decade.
Don't know why I just don't like Tim Duncan - if your eyes are truly the window to your soul - then Duncan looks like a Charles Manson.

Yeah!!!  Eff the Spurs!  All they have done is everything right.

In an age of increasingly selfish, individual play, the Spurs have continued to win with a team-oriented system years after people thought they would crumble.  Their players and coaches stay out of trouble and just take care of business.

But yeah, screw the Spurs.  I mean, why would I want to watch Manu Ginobili get a steal, pass to Tony Parker, watch him send a bounce pass to Duncan and see Duncan bank in his millionth point of his 45-year career when I could watch Dwayne Wade try a full-court alley oop to Lebron James five times a game?  Why oh why?

hoglady

Quote from: JayBell on May 20, 2014, 09:11:11 am
Yeah!!!  Eff the Spurs!  All they have done is everything right.

In an age of increasingly selfish, individual play, the Spurs have continued to win with a team-oriented system years after people thought they would crumble.  Their players and coaches stay out of trouble and just take care of business.

But yeah, screw the Spurs.  I mean, why would I want to watch Manu Ginobili get a steal, pass to Tony Parker, watch him send a bounce pass to Duncan and see Duncan bank in his millionth point of his 45-year career when I could watch Dwayne Wade try a full-court alley oop to Lebron James five times a game?  Why oh why?

I understand what you're saying.
I know - I should like the Spurs, but I don't.
I never have since Duncan took the floor for them.
Believe me - I've tried to actually make myself root for them.
But in the end - I can not.
For what it's worth - I sure in the heck don't root for Miami.
If that ends up being the final - I will be forced to root for Spurs.
But right now - I'm pulling for OKC all the way!!

JayBell

Quote from: hoglady on May 20, 2014, 09:32:40 amI understand what you're saying.
I know - I should like the Spurs, but I don't.
I never have since Duncan took the floor for them.
Believe me - I've tried to actually make myself root for them.
But in the end - I can not.
For what it's worth - I sure in the heck don't root for Miami.
If that ends up being the final - I will be forced to root for Spurs.
But right now - I'm pulling for OKC all the way!!

Ha, I know, just showing there's no logical reason to dislike the Spurs unless you're a fan of one of their Western Conference foes.  Yet everyone calls them boring and would rather see OKC vs. Miami in the finals.  It's so weird.  We'd rather see horrible people play selfish basketball than watch the team that does it the right way.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayBell on May 20, 2014, 12:02:21 pm
Ha, I know, just showing there's no logical reason to dislike the Spurs unless you're a fan of one of their Western Conference foes.  Yet everyone calls them boring and would rather see OKC vs. Miami in the finals.  It's so weird.  We'd rather see horrible people play selfish basketball than watch the team that does it the right way.

?

Cresthog

Quote from: JayBell on May 20, 2014, 09:11:11 am
I could watch Dwayne Wade try a full-court alley oop to Lebron James five times a game?  Why oh why?

And injure himself doing so.

The Heat aren't winning the title this year. And for that much, I am happy.

I'd love to see Pacers and Spurs.

Sed76

One thing I always loved and appreciated about Derek Fisher was how well spoken he is. When he is interviewed he actually comes across as someone intelligent instead of saying "you know" every other word.

JayBell

Quote from: Cresthog on May 20, 2014, 12:04:48 pmAnd injure himself doing so.

The Heat aren't winning the title this year. And for that much, I am happy.

I'd love to see Pacers and Spurs.

I don't know.  As much as I may not like the general NBA playing style these days, the Heat still have a great team.  All we hear about is Lebron, but the Heat's next seven-best players could start for most teams in the league.  I'd love to see any of the other three teams win it, but I think the Heat are still the overwhelming favorites.  Miami could go down 0-3 to Indiana and the Heat would still be my pick.

btw, sorry for the thread derailment.

Cresthog

Quote from: Sed76 on May 20, 2014, 12:05:55 pm
One thing I always loved and appreciated about Derek Fisher was how well spoken he is. When he is interviewed he actually comes across as someone intelligent instead of saying "you know" every other word.

Like Jason Kidd?

SONofHAM

This is funny. 

In Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals, Fish had 16 pts on 4/6 3PTs and 4/4 from the foul line.  Clearly not "horrible."
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"