Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The spring game is important . . .

Started by lumphog, April 24, 2014, 12:31:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lumphog

"IF" they can show that they can throw the ball with success, DC's will have to prepare for a passing attack & back out of the box. This will be HUGE for the running game. I believe with a "Balanced O" we could be dangerous THIS year. With so many teams breaking in new QB's we have a chance to be better than most think. And of course, a much improved D.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Here's to the next step. GO HOGS!!!

ricepig

We passed pretty well last spring game.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

lumphog

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2014, 12:32:42 pm
We passed pretty well last spring game.
Yea, but that didn't last long. It was pretty obvious last year, after the first 3 or 4 games, that IF you stop the run you had us. We can run on anyone "IF" we can keep them from stackin the box. A passing threat will open up our success on the O

Cotton

Quote from: lumphog on April 24, 2014, 02:12:37 pm
Yea, but that didn't last long. It was pretty obvious last year, after the first 3 or 4 games, that IF you stop the run you had us. We can run on anyone "IF" we can keep them from stackin the box. A passing threat will open up our success on the O
Two Questions.
Who got hurt 3-4 games into the season?

Which teams did we start playing after the first 3-4 games of the season?
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

trashcan maN

I'm pulling for the passing D this year. I believe our QB/WR has improved, but I'll believe the D has improved when I see them ball hawking and picking off passes in the spring game.

Defense should be ahead in the Spring, right?

lumphog

Quote from: Cotton on April 24, 2014, 02:25:18 pm
Two Questions.
Who got hurt 3-4 games into the season?

Which teams did we start playing after the first 3-4 games of the season?
BA & the SEC...... It was pretty obvious by that time how to stop us. That's my point. Even then we could still run the ball. IF we can throw it successfully and make them pull the extra defenders from the box playing run every down, it will only make us a better O.

woodhog14

The passing game will probably look pretty good considering Bielema said it will be the #1 offense vs. the #2 defense. So yes I expect the passing game to look pretty good since it will be against a bunch of back ups. BTW, the Spring Game is not that important. It's more for the fans. The situational scrimmages held during spring practice are more important than an exhibition for the fans.

lumphog

I agree, but IF they come out throwing the ball all over the field Saturday, it will give DC's something to think about besides stackin the box every play. If teams have to scheme for a passing attack, we WILL gash them with our run game. "IF" we have a more balanced O this year..... we could be very dangerous.

ricepig

Quote from: lumphog on April 24, 2014, 03:32:32 pm
I agree, but IF they come out throwing the ball all over the field Saturday, it will give DC's something to think about besides stackin the box every play. If teams have to scheme for a passing attack, we WILL gash them with our run game. "IF" we have a more balanced O this year..... we could be very dangerous.

Why not have them all stacked, and then pass on them in the game, works both ways. To be good, you need to be able to run when the expect it, and pass when they expect it.

yraciv

Spring game means very little, and is built for the offense to succeed. Of course we'd like to see our QB have success, but one scrimmage 4 months before the year isn't going to have any baring on how defenses are going to play us. Auburn is going to stack the box that first game, even if Brandon Allen throws for 400+ yards Saturday because he has a year of not showing it in primetime.  Our top 2 QB last year completed 2/3 of their pass and had 300+ yards in the spring, but we didn't see that during the season.

Now keep in mind, I'm not the guy on here that says our passing game will repeat itself this year. Just we're going to have to prove it on Saturday's in the SEC before anyone takes it seriously.  Just like I show very little concern Saban will get his QB struggles this spring figured out. Spring games mean very little!

ClearEyes

The spring game is a total waste of time.  The coaches will not show anything of substance as anything creative will be under wraps before the opener at Auburn.

The spring game is a good time for fans and it's free.  Other than that, it's another chance to see some football. 

pcolapiggy

Quote from: woodhog14 on April 24, 2014, 03:23:45 pm
The passing game will probably look pretty good considering Bielema said it will be the #1 offense vs. the #2 defense. So yes I expect the passing game to look pretty good since it will be against a bunch of back ups. BTW, the Spring Game is not that important. It's more for the fans. The situational scrimmages held during spring practice are more important than an exhibition for the fans.

So how bad should we start freaking out if BA throws more than one pick?

And what if they're just athletic plays by the D?

I'm still curious to see what they'll be doing for a game-like situation

Hogarusa

The spring game isn't important.  I will be there but I know what I watch means nothing.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hoghearted

Quote from: lumphog on April 24, 2014, 02:12:37 pm

As I recall, there were posters who were concerned that we didn't use our passing game more when we played the cupcakes, in the belief that it would be a good time to polish and refine it. They were 'pooh-poohed' by the rest, with the claims of, 'why pass it when you don't have to'.

I still believe it would have been a benefit to do so.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

lumphog

Quote from: hoghearted on April 24, 2014, 05:38:02 pm
As I recall, there were posters who were concerned that we didn't use our passing game more when we played the cupcakes, in the belief that it would be a good time to polish and refine it. They were 'pooh-poohed' by the rest, with the claims of, 'why pass it when you don't have to'.

I still believe it would have been a benefit to do so.
Agree, we had "problems" last year & if we can find a passing game, I think we will be much better this year. I think we can run on anyone & if we can keep D's off balance with some passing, we will be MUCH better.

razorbackkid

Quote from: lowberh on April 24, 2014, 04:37:03 pm
The spring game isn't important.  I will be there but I know what I watch means nothing.
But we are simplifying the defense and opening up the offensive.

I think this is a required statement.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

secneahog

Quote from: lowberh on April 24, 2014, 04:37:03 pm

The coaching staff made up of million dollars disagrees with you.

That pretty much tells HV everything about your post.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!