Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Mizzou Basketball Coach Faces Challenges

Started by jbcarol, April 23, 2014, 09:33:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  1h 
From today's P-D: Marshall, Anderson or whoever faces challenges as Missouri's next coach  http://m.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-s-next-coach-faces-challenges/article_70356179-7d3e-5111-bbdc-f3f110f47cdb.html ...

COLUMBIA, Mo. • Whether it's Gregg Marshall, Kim Anderson or an out-of-nowhere hire like the last one, Missouri's next basketball coach will inherit a program in need of stability.

When Frank Haith blindsided Mizzou with his departure to Tulsa last Friday, athletics director Mike Alden insisted the program was in better shape than Haith found it three years earlier when he replaced Mike Anderson. Yes, the Southeastern Conference has opened new revenue streams and the SEC Network promises enhanced national exposure, but three years of endless player and staff turnover leaves Mizzou's next coach with few established pieces.

Less certain is the identity of Alden's fourth coaching hire in 15 years.

Connected sources confirmed Tuesday that Anderson, the former Missouri player and assistant coach, is a serious candidate for the job and has been discussed by multiple campus leaders in recent days.

The 1977 Big Eight player of the year from Sedalia, Mo., and longtime Mizzou assistant coach under Norm Stewart has been the head coach at Division II Central Missouri for the last 12 years. The Mules won the Division II national championship in March and Anderson was named Division II coach of the year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Anderson, who turns 59 in May, is 274-95 at UCM with three Final Four appearances in the Division II Championships. Anderson lettered at Mizzou from 1974-77 and worked on Stewart's staff from 1982-85 and from 1991-99.

Anderson, according to sources, is seen as a preferred option at Mizzou over less experienced coaches at lower profile Division I programs.

But Wichita State's Marshall remains Mizzou's top target.

Earlier in the week, Marshall's agent, Myles Solomon, said his client had not been contacted by Missouri. But in a phone interview Tuesday with the Post-Dispatch, Solomon's tone shifted. Solomon declined to comment on any current job openings, including Missouri's situation.

"I'm going to stay away from any talk about searches," Solomon said.

Marshall, 51, is 174-71 in seven seasons at Wichita State with three straight NCAA Tournament appearances, including a Final Four trip last year. The AP national coach of the year is on a seven-year rolling contract that runs through 2021. His salary is a reported $1.75 million.

While Marshall's name has been linked to multiple job searches at high-major programs in recent years, Solomon said he's happy in Wichita.

"The administration has done a great job there making sure that he and his family are taken care of and giving them as much support as you ever hope for really," Solomon said.

Solomon cited Wichita State's rabid fan base, Marshall's salary and WSU's plush travel resources — the team always uses charter flights — as reasons Marshall could stay put.

"He's at the program that's considered at the pinnacle of the league he's in," Solomon said. "It's very attractive all around."

For now, it's uncertain which other candidates Alden is targeting. Texas El-Paso coach Tim Floyd is very interested in the position and has reached out to MU, multiple sources confirmed. Floyd, 60, is 409-232 in 20 college seasons at Idaho, New Orleans, Iowa State, Southern California and UTEP. He stepped down at USC in 2009 after a recruiting scandal but was cleared of any wrongdoing. UTEP athletics director Bob Stull, the former Mizzou football coach, said Tuesday that MU had not contacted him about interviewing Floyd.

A source indicated Tuesday that MU has cooled on former UCLA coach Ben Howland after showing initial intrigue. Interest in Purdue's Matt Painter, Alden's top choice when he hired Haith, appear dim, too.

Alden's next coach will take over a team with only six scholarship players back from last year's 23-12 team, plus two Division I transfers who become eligible next season. Last fall, Mizzou signed two high school recruits rated among the top 100 players in the country, but both could head elsewhere depending on Alden's hire.

If so, that would leave the new coach with five open scholarships for the upcoming season — the same roster snafu Haith inherited from Anderson three years ago. Haith's solution was to load up on transfers: Of the 18 players in his first three classes, eight were Division I transfers and two more came from junior colleges. Under Haith's watch, 10 players left the program: five transferred, three entered the NBA draft early and two were dismissed.

Haith's coaching staff was also in flux throughout his three years at Mizzou. Seven different coaches filled his three full-time assistant chairs. The only one left at MU, Tim Fuller, is a candidate for the head coaching job at Florida A&M and will consider leaving...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  9h 
In Wednesday's P-D, @realbburwell writes Mizzou needs to go all out for Marshall http://bit.ly/1kZPe7B

Outside of a golf course, life doesn't usually work this way. It's not often in real life when fate tosses you a big, fat, honest-to-goodness mulligan, but that's precisely what the University of Missouri is looking at now when it comes to its basketball program.

With the surprising exit of Frank Haith to Tulsa, Mizzou director of athletics Mike Alden has been handed the rare opportunity to make a transformative hire for his basketball program. He has a chance to find a new coach who won't self destruct (Quinn Snyder), won't bolt for his "dream job" (Mike Anderson) or won't be treated like he has the cooties the minute he arrives on campus (Haith). With his coffers brimming with all that fat SEC money, Alden has been given a do-over to do something that will make people speak his name without so many unflattering qualifiers.

All he has to do is find himself a coach who has pizzazz, who has a glittering resumé, who is charming and charismatic, who isn't learning on the job, who isn't carrying any negative NCAA baggage, doesn't consider Columbia to be a way station on his way to his more preferable hoop ("Hawg?") heaven. All he has to do is find a guy who can recruit and win big, who will not only make the old-guard fan base happy, but will resonate well beyond the state borders with folks who don't give a hoot about the warm and fuzzy Norm Stewart glory days. All he has to do is find a guy who can immediately send MU on a trajectory to gain equal footing with Kentucky and Florida every year.

Yeah, I know, that's a long, long punch list for Alden.

But I'll make it easy for him.

Just go get Gregg Marshall...

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  12h 
Tim Floyd's five-year UTEP deal runs through 2015. Guaranteed salary is $600,000 - but no financial penalty clause for breaking contract

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik ·11 hrs
For the record, it remains unclear how strongly Missouri is targeting Floyd, but source said that should be obvious next day or two.

Steven St.John ‏@SSJWHB ·2 hrs
.@tsnmike says that Plan A for #Mizzou should be Gregg Marshall...If he says no, Plan B should be Ben Howland...Forget everything else.

jbcarol

Gregorian Chant: Mizzou fans do not hold breath on Marshall or Floyd hire

Five days-plus after University of Missouri men's basketball coach Frank Haith made his escape to Tulsa official, the search process either is a brilliant stealth campaign, a clinic in diversionary tactics or just clunked up in gridlock. Choose one.

If I had to hazard a guess in the void right now about whose potential candidacy MU is exploring with the most energy, I'd say Ben Howland.

Why? Well, why not? And because he guided UCLA to three Final Fours and is available, maybe even at a reasonable price.

But mostly just because his camp is eerily silent, and his agent hasn't returned a number of messages from The Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/23/4978534/very-few-certainties-in-mu-search.html

That SI article has hurt Howland.  He did deliver pizzas to students standing in line and we have not seen UCLA in the Final Four since he was let go.

Notes that Mizzou is coming off a public, contentious contract negotiation process (see Tennessee threads) and why would Marshall leave chartered jets for that.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  13h  You were going to read in Thursday's P-D about Tim Floyd being a possible fit @ Mizzou. That's what Control X is for. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/floyd-not-a-candidate-for-mizzou-job/article_68bd6a8a-5365-531f-a188-72dd428924f4.html ...

Here's what it's like to cover a college coaching search: You file your story at 6 p.m., leave the house to pick up dinner and return to receive a tip that turns your story to mush.

In Thursday's Post-Dispatch you were going to read more about the career of Texas-El Paso coach Tim Floyd and his possible connection to Missouri's coaching vacancy.

Wednesday night, though, a source close to the situation confirmed that Missouri is not considering Floyd for the position.

So, there's that.

Floyd was interested in the job, a source close to the coach told the Post-Dispatch on Monday, and on Tuesday, ESPN's Jeff Goodman reported that he's emerged as "a strong candidate." Missouri's genuine interest in Floyd, 60, has been suspect all week, but it's clear now he's not on the Tigers' radar.

Central Missouri coach Kim Anderson, who turns 59 next month [is] older than every current coach in the SEC. (Anderson remains a candidate for the job.)

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  2h
Talked w/ #Mizzou hoops commit Kevin Punter. The State Fair Community College SG is interested in visiting UT. Story coming at @GoVolsXtra.

jbcarol

Austin Kim @AustinKKim  ·  22h
Truman Hotel welcomes #Mizzou athletics "carvan" in Jeff City #IWouldLikeToBuyAVowel

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  26m 
From today's P-D, Missouri's next basketball coach faces recruiting challenges - starting with signees http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-recruits-in-limbo-as-search-continues/article_c6455a22-e268-5a56-8754-67351db2acf1.html ...

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  20m 
Quote from Gant's AAU coach not in PD story: "If it's a coach who doesn't play the style that will help get him to the next level and if he doesn't think he has a chance to win with the guys who are staying, then all of that will play a role." (AAU coach on Gant at MU)

4-star Effingham County (GA) 6-8, 200 PF Jakeenan Gant

mizzouman

Should be named no later than Monday afternoon.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  36m 
Curators call for Monday meeting. Is the Mizzou search over? http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/um-curators-set-meeting-for-monday/article_a8043d0c-7e14-50d0-b3e2-94baf07519e5.html ...

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  59m 
Curators must vote on major hires, such as a new head coach. Board will not confirm what meeting is about, but easy to figure out.

jbcarol

David Ubben ‏@davidubben ·21m
I trust the media's first question for Mizzou's new coach will be instructions re: what to do if we encounter him in a fight w/ a bear.

Break & Run

Kim Anderson, I almost guarantee it.  LOL
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on April 25, 2014, 01:10:48 pm
Should be named no later than Monday afternoon.

Any thoughts on who?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 25, 2014, 01:30:05 pm
Any thoughts on who?
Very tight lipped.  Could be either Marshall, Howland and a late entry in Jay Wright.  Don't know.

Break & Run

I'm still saying Anderson.  I don't see Marshall or Wright going.  Possibly Howland though.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  11h
If you're scoring at home, scratch La Tech's Mike White off your Mizzou candidate list. I'm told he's not involved in MU search.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  13h
Old news here but statement from UCM on behalf of Kim Anderson: "I have not been offered the Missouri job. I am still coaching the Mules."

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  13h
Story might not see light of day depending on how news breaks, but talked to an in-state college coach today on Kim Anderson. A few quotes:

"Recruiting is all about networking and contacts. Kim is so well respected in this business."

"In this state, you better have the respect of the high school coaches. Look at Bradley Beal, Tyler Hansbrough, David Lee, Alec Burks ..."

"Look at all the kids who left the state ... Kim Anderson will have the respect of the Missouri high school coaches. I guarantee you that."

Just sharing some thoughts from a coach. Not saying I necessarily agree.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  16h
Gotta give Missouri AD Mike Alden credit if he's found his guy. Extremely quiet. What is clear: Central Missouri's Kim Anderson in the mix.

jbcarol

Quote from: popcornhog on April 26, 2014, 09:46:21 am
Local news KCTV5 in Kansas City is reporting Anderson has been offered the job.

jbcarol

Xavier Hoops ‏@XUHoopsRumors ·15h
#Missouri has confirmed that they have NOT reached out to @CoachChrisMack for their head coach vacancy #Xavier

Just tweetin'

jbcarol

Dana O'Neil ‏@ESPNDanaOneil ·19 hrs
Don't know who will be Mizzou next coach. Know it's not Jay Wright. Texted me. Wasn't contacted, isn't interested & happy at Nova.Rumor dead

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·15 hrs
I kind of hope Mizzou hires Gregg Marshall just so this @Kilgore_n_KC guy can forever be like: "I CALLED THAT!"

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS  17h
Here's me, being candid, and telling you everything I can tell you right now about the Missouri opening: http://cbsprt.co/1jSqSc9

QuoteThe Missouri Board of Curators has scheduled a meeting for Monday at University Hall in Columbia, presumably to approve a contract for the Tigers' next men's basketball coach. That seems clear. What's less clear, though, is the name of the coach Missouri will eventually hire because, on this search, there's been more bad information than good.

Here's what I can tell you at this moment: In talking to countless people within the industry over the past 48 hours, the only names consistently mentioned by sources are former UCLA coach Ben Howland and Central Missouri coach Kim Anderson.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik ·5h
Who will it be? The wait continues to learn #Mizzou's next coach - Columbia Daily Tribune http://m.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/who-will-it-be/article_8322b23e-cdc0-11e3-848a-10604b9ffe60.html ...

Retweeted by Steve Walentik
Dusty Mudd ‏@dmudd1 ·4 hrs
@Steve_Walentik Is there not 1 Edward Snowden in the AD office that will leak info then flee to kansas for protection

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  1h
I'd be stunned if MU has told team/signees who it will hire. You don't go to these lengths to keep private - then hand news to a19 year old

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond  49m
One day there's gonna be a day I know who #Mizzou's basketball coach is and I can spend time away from my computer. That day isn't today.

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond  45m
@Jabber28 Assume it will break somewhere tomorrow, press conf/announcement Tuesday

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond  45m
@Emacdog1994 They don't want any leaks.  As to why, IDK, that's the way they're running it.  Got burned last time by publicity

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  2h 
As @todpalmer reports, Missouri used Collegiate Sports Associates to assist in search. Dave Odom works for firm, have heard he was involved

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  2h 
Dave Odom, former Wake Forest & South Carolina coach, is senior consultant for Collegiate Sports Associates search firm.

jbcarol

Vahe Gregorian ‏@vgregorian ·14 hrs
Via text message, Kim Anderson declines comment on MU search situation even as curators work to approve a contract tomorrow for next coach

jbcarol

April 28, 2014, 11:58:16 am #30 Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:46:31 pm by jbcarol
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·1m
Missouri has not revealed  next coach, but a source told me that Kim Anderson has already begun receiving mail at Mizzou!! #forwhatitsworth

Professor Kim Anderson, not the coach

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  53m 
Was told Kim Anderson is in his office at UCM, not a flight to Columbia. UCM aviation school has training flights in the air all the time

jbcarol

TJ Carpenter ‏@TJCarpenterWHB ·10 mins
Said this on friday, when the search becomes the story and not the candidates, a school has a problem. Mizzou has a problem.

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond ·10 mins
@TJCarpenterWHB depends on who they hire

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  36m
President/curators not expected to release statement or answer questions after today's meeting.

Which went into executive session via conference call.

jbcarol

Dani Wex @DaniWex  ·  35m
Did something happen at #mizzou today? holy timeline.

Mizzou Basketball ‏@MizzouHoops  2m
All fans are welcomed to attend tomorrow's fan reception (it's Free) in the practice gym. Come join us!

jbcarol

Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS  ·  Apr 28 
It should be noted that Mizzou hired a coach that it could've hired 11 days ago AFTER a recruiting weekend that could've been beneficial.

jbcarol

Austin Kim @AustinKKim  ·  3h
Kim Anderson keeps Bryan Tibaldi on as Director of Basketball Operations. Another familiar face for MU players as they enter Anderson era.

Austin Kim @AustinKKim  ·  51m
Just got a text from former Rock Bridge star Ricky Kreklow: "#Mizzou has shown interest and has reached out to contact me.

I'm definitely going to listen and am interesting in the possibility of returning."