Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Major Props from Tim Brando this Morning

Started by WilsonHog, April 22, 2014, 08:32:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

He caught heat from Tennessee fans on Twitter over his assertion that Arkansas is no worse than the third best job in the SEC, and maybe as good as Florida given our respective histories. He gave credit to Eddie and Nolan and recognized our fans' passion for basketball. He also said it was obvious that the energy returned to our program with Mike, and that we would be great again. Almost were this year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 22, 2014, 08:32:14 am
He caught heat from Tennessee fans on Twitter over his assertion that Arkansas is no worse than the third best job in the SEC, and maybe as good as Florida given our respective histories. He gave credit to Eddie and Nolan and recognized our fans' passion for basketball. He also said it was obvious that the energy returned to our program with Mike, and that we would be great again. Almost were this year.

If Florida lost Donovan, and they returned to mediocrity, Florida fans wouldn't care as long as football was winning.

That's not the case at Arkansas.

popcornhog

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 22, 2014, 08:32:14 am

All objectively true.

UF has surpassed us though. They're a Final 4/Elite 8/National Title machine under Donovan.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:43:55 am
If Florida lost Donovan, and they returned to mediocrity, Florida fans wouldn't care as long as football was winning.

If Donovan left and they declined and during that time we won a national title or made a couple if final fours, we could definitely position ourselves back ahead of them for a long time.

That said, whenever Billy D retires, surely they'll be able to hire a great coach.

But yeah, our hoops fans definitely are more engaged.
WPS

pigture perfect

Why would Tennesee fans be upset by that statement? They still think basketball is primarily a Title IX sport.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The_Iceman

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 22, 2014, 08:49:07 am
Why would Tennesee fans be upset by that statement? They still think basketball is primarily a Title IX sport.

Arkansas Women's Basketball lost $3 million dollars last year.

WilsonHog

I love listening to Brando, because he is objective. He has a balanced view that I appreciate. He has perspective that is hard to find on message boards.

Part of his argument today was that history matters, and history is much more than the last five or 10 years.

Dr. Starcs

Objectivity? I'll never forget his comments after Nutts departure.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Albert Swinestein

If those Tennessee callers got your blood pumping, then you will enjoy this thread over on a Tennessee message board where Arkansas is ranked as the 9th best basketball job in the SEC.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1398&t=12826699

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Albert Swinestein on April 22, 2014, 09:28:45 am
If those Tennessee callers got your blood pumping, then you will enjoy this thread over on a Tennessee message board where Arkansas is ranked as the 9th best basketball job in the SEC.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1398&t=12826699

That's just silly- doesn't make me mad.  In my opinion, national titles and Final Fours are a great indicator of success and potential.  I'd throw in professional players, facilities, and revenue as major factors as well. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 22, 2014, 08:49:07 am

Post of the day candidate.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

razorhead94

Final Fours:

Arkansas - 6
Tennessee - 0

Enough said
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

The Boar War

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:51:46 am

We spent more than $3 million on women's basketball last year?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:51:46 am

Hence the hiring of Dykes

MountieDawg

Quote from: razorhead94 on April 22, 2014, 01:10:47 pm
Final Fours:

Arkansas - 6
Tennessee - 0

Enough said

I think Arkansas is a better job than UT, but not using recent history you would have to say San Fransico and Cinncinatti are better jobs than Arkansas because more National Titles and UCLA is s better Job than UK, Kansas, Duke and N Carolina... You are also saying City College of New York, Holy Cross, Wyoming and Loyola IL are all about the same job as Arkansas since they all have 1 national title...

The Hog job is probably about the 3rd best job in the SEC but the Hogs need to gain some relevancy in the near future or they will fall in the City College of New York category.... You don't have to be the prettiest girl at the dance, but if you don't go to the dance... NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE YOU HOME...
SEC!

Hogarusa

I always enjoys reading comments after a national writer/columnist speaks fondly of the Hogs.  Fair, Balanced, and objective.  It's hard to argue our worth when at one time the best hire we could manage was John Pelphrey.

I am sure he mentioned it but the fact is there are really only 4 jobs in the SEC that would be great to have in basketball.  Every other school is far behind football and spring football
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Cresthog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 22, 2014, 02:16:45 pm
Hence the hiring of Dykes

Like that's going to change anything?

It's more fun to light money on fire than watch or even pay to watch woman's bball.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 22, 2014, 09:10:24 am

I don't remember his comments specifically.

I think it was time for UA and Nutt to part ways. The relationship had become frayed on both ends. Having said that, I did not agree with the banners or with the FOI requests; I thought they were unseemly. Thought so then, think so now. Had I been a national media guy then, I would have said so.

To the extent Brando said something like that, he and I would have agreed.

Paul

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:43:55 am

That could have been said for us before Sutton & Richardson.  Once you've tasted success though, fans will be more demanding.

jjdlc

Quote from: popcornhog on April 22, 2014, 08:47:01 am
If Donovan left and they declined and during that time we won a national title or made a couple if final fours, we could definitely position ourselves back ahead of them for a long time.

That said, whenever Billy D retires, surely they'll be able to hire a great coach.

But yeah, our hoops fans definitely are more engaged.

The past decade here at Arkansas should tell you that isn't necessarily the case.  Sure, Nolan was fired, but we weren't that far removed from back to back NC appearances, we should have been able to hire a great coach.

hoglady

Quote from: jjdlc on April 24, 2014, 04:06:48 pm
The past decade here at Arkansas should tell you that isn't necessarily the case.  Sure, Nolan was fired, but we weren't that far removed from back to back NC appearances, we should have been able to hire a great coach.

We could have hired a great coach after Nolan got fired.
But John White didn't let us.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

immahog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 22, 2014, 09:10:24 am

I look over what he said b/c his heart was in it ....he was an is very close to Nutt
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

immahog

Quote from: hoglady on April 25, 2014, 07:12:37 am
We could have hired a great coach after Nolan got fired.
But John White didn't let us.

yep anybody heard of Bill freakin SELF
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

PonderinHog

Quote from: immahog on April 25, 2014, 07:36:20 am
I look over what he said b/c his heart was in it ....he was an is very close to Nutt
He's an anus ???

Kevin

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 22, 2014, 07:00:20 pm
I don't remember his comments specifically.

I think it was time for UA and Nutt to part ways. The relationship had become frayed on both ends. Having said that, I did not agree with the banners or with the FOI requests; I thought they were unseemly. Thought so then, think so now. Had I been a national media guy then, I would have said so.

To the extent Brando said something like that, he and I would have agreed.

brando was very negative about the fans and the foi. he said arkansas could not get a better coach than nutt.

he bashed arkansas administration & fans for a while.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Smithian

Quote from: jjdlc on April 24, 2014, 04:06:48 pm
If Billy Donovan were to take the Timberwolves job he would leave a significantly better situation than Nolan Richardson did. No lawsuit, program having been to four straight Elite Eights, including a Final Four. Florida had two five star freshmen coming off the bench this season. I can see the Gators slipping back when Donovan leaves but Florida won't turn into an Alabama or Georgia.

Mick Hogger

KY thought they were getting a winner in BCG. It's always a roll of the dice.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.