Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Colors: Cardinal and White

Started by The_Iceman, April 22, 2014, 08:30:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

April 23, 2014, 08:23:54 am #50 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:35:26 am by The_Iceman

Of course, even the shade of the pictures and the monitors we use can change the way the reds look, but it seems pretty close.

DeltaBoy

As I stated before I got hog stuff from every decade from the 60's till now and the shade of red is all over the place.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 23, 2014, 08:26:25 am
As I stated before I got hog stuff from every decade from the 60's till now and the shade of red is all over the place.

Hopefully, this rebranding effort by Nike and the Administration will help get everything closer.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2014, 08:37:12 am
Hopefully, this rebranding effort by Nike and the Administration will help get everything closer.

My question then is this (btw - I think the official line from the BAC is no longer "rebranding" but "Updated Brand Identity", which is a very good description of what the UofA and Nike are up to) - does it make more sense to establish an official "Pantone" color, or does it make more sense for the UofA to have approval rights over each licensed piece of merch?  For example, maybe Pantone 200 looks more like Razorbacks red on a wool cap, whereas Pantone 202c looks Razorbacks red on a jersey.  Can't the athletic department control this with approval rights?  Before anyone says I'm just an idiot Hogville poster, understand that I do merch and licensing deals all the time for my celebrity clients in the entertainment business, and we always have approval rights.  That's part of protecting the brand.  There will always be pirated merch in the marketplace.  A pirate is not going to care whether he uses Pantone 202c or Pantone 200, but he will try and make his unlicensed merch look as much like the real thing as possible. 

So my question is this - is it more important for licensed merch to all look to the eye as close to Razorbacks red as possible, or is it more important to ALWAYS use Pantone 202c, and how do you think this will ultimately play out in practice?   

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 23, 2014, 08:52:17 am
My question then is this (btw - I think the official line from the BAC is no longer "rebranding" but "Updated Brand Identity", which is a very good description of what the UofA and Nike are up to) - does it make more sense to establish an official "Pantone" color, or does it make more sense for the UofA to have approval rights over each licensed piece of merch?  For example, maybe Pantone 200 looks more like Razorbacks red on a wool cap, whereas Pantone 202c looks Razorbacks red on a jersey.  Can't the athletic department control this with approval rights?  Before anyone says I'm just an idiot Hogville poster, understand that I do merch and licensing deals all the time for my celebrity clients in the entertainment business, and we always have approval rights.  That's part of protecting the brand.  There will always be pirated merch in the marketplace.  A pirate is not going to care whether he uses Pantone 202c or Pantone 200, but he will try and make his unlicensed merch look as much like the real thing as possible. 

So my question is this - is it more important for licensed merch to all look to the eye as close to Razorbacks red as possible, or is it more important to ALWAYS use Pantone 202c, and how do you think this will ultimately play out in practice?   

You make some good points, as Pantone 202c will probably look a lot darker on certain materials. I'm not sure what the best answer is.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 23, 2014, 08:52:17 am
My question then is this (btw - I think the official line from the BAC is no longer "rebranding" but "Updated Brand Identity", which is a very good description of what the UofA and Nike are up to) - does it make more sense to establish an official "Pantone" color, or does it make more sense for the UofA to have approval rights over each licensed piece of merch?  For example, maybe Pantone 200 looks more like Razorbacks red on a wool cap, whereas Pantone 202c looks Razorbacks red on a jersey.  Can't the athletic department control this with approval rights?  Before anyone says I'm just an idiot Hogville poster, understand that I do merch and licensing deals all the time for my celebrity clients in the entertainment business, and we always have approval rights.  That's part of protecting the brand.  There will always be pirated merch in the marketplace.  A pirate is not going to care whether he uses Pantone 202c or Pantone 200, but he will try and make his unlicensed merch look as much like the real thing as possible.  Imo

In practice - not much will be improved. Specs are the easy part of identity control as you probably know. The hard part is policing. I think many schools simply hope it doesn't get out of hand on its own as they don't have the resources to police the marketplace. They can possibly control the major retail brands, but the smaller shops and eCommerce are simply too many.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

SONofHAM

@jakenevill

To show color change, uni color will be same as last year. Aligning web, merch, etc. to 201 to match uni color. pic.twitter.com/0mKWUhiChy

[attachment deleted by admin]
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

SONofHAM

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 23, 2014, 08:12:34 am
By the way, those "triangles" are meant to be tusks.  If you look at our logo, the big tusk goes up and a smaller tusk at an angle to the big one.  Also, see a real boar.  Unlike the stupid lightning bolt that was meant to emulate the spine of the hog, I like this.  Tusks coming at you baby!
@jakenevill

Note if you are iffy on the shoulders; you generally view unis from the top 3/4 view. The shoulders weigh nicely on that cut line.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 23, 2014, 09:24:31 am
@jakenevill

Note if you are iffy on the shoulders; you generally view unis from the top 3/4 view. The shoulders weigh nicely on that cut line.

Man you guys are really deep into this. I would hate to be the sales guy when you step onto the lot to buy a car!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

The_Iceman

Another interesting tweet from him:

@jakenevill
If anything, uniforms will seem much lighter in overall color due to eliminating the black elements altogether.

SONofHAM

Quote from: locusbug on April 23, 2014, 09:27:43 am
Man you guys are really deep into this. I would hate to be the sales guy when you step onto the lot to buy a car!  ;D
just relaying insight from someone who knows more than me:)

The_Iceman

No black fade.

Good view of red pants.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

http://www.sc.edu/toolbox/officialColors.php

Even though we are supposed to be the same shade of red, South Carolina's is much different. The black and their materials really darken it.

hoghearted

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 22, 2014, 05:39:10 pm
Not to my eye, it isn't.  Georgia has always had a little orangish tint to it - ours never has.

More important - ours looks like Razorback Red, and that's all that really matters to me.  We've always been pretty close to Alabama and OU's shade of red anyway.

Georgia's red has a yellow undertone to it, while Arkansas' has a blue undertone.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

razorbackfanatic

April 23, 2014, 10:53:45 am #65 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:23:32 am by razorbackfanatic
Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2014, 06:54:06 am
If 202c is what we used on our new uniforms, then its perfect Razorback red.

202c is what we used for the new unis and the unis the last two seasons in football and last season in basketball. If u think they are perfect then u should be happy. But for several years before this we were lighter, closer to pantone 200. Adidas was always a little lighter than Nike. When Matt Jones was a freshmen and sophomore we were Nike and it was a bit darker and then we went to Adidas and it was a little lighter. Like many have stated our red has been all over the place for years but it hasn't been this dark in a long time. Meaning the last two seasons. These new jerseys are the exact same color as the past football season. I personally prefer 201 to 202c but 202c is fine on the actual uniforms. In on screen graphics it's a little too dark for my taste. The red in the McFadden worn Adidas jerseys are my favorite.

Also South Carolina does have more black which clouds everything up but as u can see by this pic from last season with both teams in the same frame, that the red is the same. Also light angles make a huge difference. The pic of Collins is too dark and wine tinted for what I prefer but I can live with it, but then here's a pic of where it looks like the perfect shade. That's why I'm ok with the actual unis in true light. The graphics are darker than Razorback red should be.

atekido

all white looks like garbage.  reminds me way to much of Texas when they go all white.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on April 23, 2014, 10:53:45 am
202c is what we used for the new unis and the unis the last two seasons in football and last season in basketball. If u think they are perfect then u should be happy. But for several years before this we were lighter, closer to pantone 200. Adidas was always a little lighter than Nike. When Matt Jones was a freshmen and sophomore we were Nike and it was a bit darker and then we went to Adidas and it was a little lighter. Like many have stated our red has been all over the place for years but it hasn't been this dark in a long time. Meaning the last two seasons. These new jerseys are the exact same color as the past football season. I personally prefer 201 to 202c but 202c is fine on the actual uniforms. In on screen graphics it's a little too dark for my taste. The red in the McFadden worn Adidas jerseys are my favorite.

razorbackfanatic

Just like I showed above different light angles can change the color drastically. Unless u have a shot of the McFadden jersey from Adidas in the same pic with the new ones u can't compare pics. Now u can compare the graphics though. 200 vs 202c

These are all the same season and the same color of our new unis.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on April 23, 2014, 11:27:37 am
Just like I showed above different light angles can change the color drastically. Unless u have a shot of the McFadden jersey from Adidas in the same pic with the new ones u can't compare pics. Now u can compare the graphics though. 200 vs 202c

The only way to truly compare would be to have each jersey in front of you under the same light. No pictures will be the same due to the cameras, brightness of the photo, contrast, etc.

But, all those pictures above show the red being pretty close to the same color. All of those appear to be day game (I'm not sure about the McFadden photo). I can pull pictures of the exact same uniforms looking darker as well.

According to Waddell, we've used 202c for a long time on our jerseys, not just the last few.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2014, 11:30:35 am
The only way to truly compare would be to have each jersey in front of you under the same light. No pictures will be the same due to the cameras, brightness of the photo, contrast, etc.

But, all those pictures above show the red being pretty close to the same color. All of those appear to be day game (I'm not sure about the McFadden photo). I can pull pictures of the exact same uniforms looking darker as well.

According to Waddell, we've used 202c for a long time on our jerseys, not just the last few.

Exactly except we've only been using this color since the the football jerseys in the 2012 season(John L Smith). And we were still using pantone 200 in the style guide until earlier this year. I am a fan of the page ArkansasRazorbacks.com on Facebook and I literally saw them change the graphics a few months ago to the 202c and it's a big difference in graphics, but not too bad on the actual uni. But it's darker for sure than it has been in a long time.

MP24

January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

pillowhog

Is there anyway they can change the color of our turf?  Looks like crap on TV.  Looks better live but terrible on TV for some reason

secneahog

Quote from: pillowhog on April 23, 2014, 12:43:53 pm
Is there anyway they can change the color of our turf?  Looks like crap on TV.  Looks better live but terrible on TV for some reason

Your game is weak.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

pillowhog

Quote from: secneahog on April 23, 2014, 01:13:58 pm
Your game is weak.
You seem to mouth everything I post.  You want to meet up in person?

secneahog

Quote from: pillowhog on April 23, 2014, 02:18:16 pm
You seem to mouth everything I post.  You want to meet up in person?

Wouldn't be a good idea.

And looking a your karma rating no one likes your posts.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: MP24 on April 23, 2014, 12:09:41 pm
Oh No!?

https://twitter.com/CoachJoelT/status/458982967587512321/photo/1

I like anthracite once or twice a year. Except for the white outline around the Hog on the helmet, it makes the helmet look like a plastic toy. The red helmets with the anthracite from 2012 looked nice and we killed Kentucky in them. Just take that white outline off and make it the reverse of the white helmet and I think it would look sweet as well. But if prefer black to anthracite any day.

Melorock089

I'm not a big fan of the white helmets, but I'm okay with them as long as the red helmet is still our primary helmet.

I like the white helmet, white jersey, and red pants while vice versa, red helmet, red jersey, white pants. It looks real slick having the jerseys match the helmet in my opinion.

Anyway, not much room to complain in comparison to recent years. I think these could be the best uniforms since the 06-07 era. Never did like Petrino's uniforms much, always looked like we belonged to conference USA or something.

Now we play like conference USA, but thank God we don't look conference USA anymore at least. :P

razorbackfanatic

April 24, 2014, 12:40:30 am #78 Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:56:32 am by razorbackfanatic
Quote from: Hambulance Chaser on April 23, 2014, 10:29:34 pm
It's probably been stated, but just for comparison, our red now is essentially identical to Bama - both Pantone 201

Coca Cola Red for Contrast

Arkansas Red

Alabama Red

Lol a lot has been stated over and over again. Pantone 201 is not our color now. Pms 202c is. That's also what South Carolina and Miss State, even though MSU's jerseys are clearly maroon. It's all above in links and many redundant posts by me and others. Via Mike Waddell the color is pms 202c. Here's some of the links info. Let's make it clear that Waddell says that the uniforms last season were already 202c and they just changed the style guide and every thing else from pantone 200 to pantone pms202c so that everything can me more consistent. The unis were changed to this color in 2012. Most people didn't even notice that it was darker. Some of us did.

razorbackfanatic

We all know now those other hints were the secondary logo.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hambulance Chaser on April 23, 2014, 10:29:34 pm
It's probably been stated, but just for comparison, our red now is essentially identical to Bama - both Pantone 201

Alabama's red is not as dark as people think it is. On TV, it seems to always appear much darker than ours for some reason.

razorbackfanatic

Even with our satin helmet finish and their glossy finish our red seems to look just barely lighter but real close. If ours was glossy it would def look lighter.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on April 24, 2014, 12:22:21 pm
Even with our satin helmet finish and their glossy finish our red seems to look just barely lighter but real close. If ours was glossy it would def look lighter.

On the field/court, it always appears to be just slightly darker. I don't know if there's has a different tint to it or something, but it just seems like it even tho pictures of both teams would show they are almost identical.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on April 23, 2014, 11:27:37 am

These are all the same season and the same color of our new unis.

It's not "Light Angles" so too speak, it's more about color temp (kelvin), the quality of light (sunny or cloudy--time of day) but also what lenses were used (low contrast or higher contrast), film or digital, how the photo was manipulated in photoshop and how is your monitor set up for critical viewing.  :razorback:

It's all about your image acquisition and viewing chain... There are so many variables that affect color and tint.

With that being said, I can't wait to see a game this year.

Maybe I can get my Press Creds out and shoot some 6K and 4K Highspeed footage this fall... Happy to pull stills as well from my Motion Work.

LRAFBHog

IMHO, our red sure looks a whole lot like Alabama Crimson. 
WPS

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: The_Hog_Father on April 24, 2014, 02:58:00 pm
It's not "Light Angles" so too speak, it's more about color temp (kelvin), the quality of light (sunny or cloudy--time of day) but also what lenses were used (low contrast or higher contrast), film or digital, how the photo was manipulated in photoshop and how is your monitor set up for critical viewing.  :razorback:

It's all about your image acquisition and viewing chain... There are so many variables that affect color and tint.

With that being said, I can't wait to see a game this year.

Maybe I can get my Press Creds out and shoot some 6K and 4K Highspeed footage this fall... Happy to pull stills as well from my Motion Work.

Yes you are definitely right about that. But since I've had about 20 posts on this thread lol I just thought light angles was enough to get my point across that u can't compare photo to photo unless it's in the same shot and even in the same shot there are some variables still like how one teams fabric may be effected by the weather differently from the other team. Good post. +1

goodguytex

So the new razorback red now is pretty close to the red on hog vile? That pretty close?

razorbackfanatic

On graphics yes it's pretty close.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on April 24, 2014, 07:53:55 pm
Yes you are definitely right about that. But since I've had about 20 posts on this thread lol I just thought light angles was enough to get my point across that u can't compare photo to photo unless it's in the same shot and even in the same shot there are some variables still like how one teams fabric may be effected by the weather differently from the other team. Good post. +1

All good my man, I hope I came across right and not disrespectful. +1 back at you sir! :razorback:

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 23, 2014, 07:54:29 am
For many of us, Bill Montgomery is sporting perfect Razorback red in the photos above.  I know nothing about pantones, but Pantone 202c looks pretty darn close to it.

For me, this (below) will always be "Razorback Red":

CDBHawg

Will the new unit at times say "Arkansas" and at times say "Razorbacks" across the front?

I prefer "Arkansas" right there in big bolded all caps letters.

But all in all the new unis look really good.

razorbackfanatic

Not this season anyways. Razorbacks for red jersey and Arkansas for white. Home/away. Basketball is this way but reversed. It's still Razorbacks on red but red is away in basketball.