Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's talk Texas Tech

Started by razorjack12, April 22, 2014, 12:07:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorjack12

I'm nearly obsessed with this game because of the contrasting styles, Big XII-SEC matchup, and the implications it has for Arkansas' post season chances.

I'm particularly interested to see how our OL matches up against Techs DL.   Tech lost their entire DL from last season and is basically hoping that 3 JUCO players can help them plug holes.   

Our projected OL outweighs Techs projected DL by a whopping 55lbs on average.    But this weight disparity does not include the addition of Techs JUCOs especially Rika Levi  http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Rika-Levi-149984;_ylt=AijIZ14tjOqddnjfNT.Aec5DPZB4 

As of right now, I would make the Red Raiders a slight favorite in this game.

What say you?

Lysol

I can see our RBs really having a field day against this team. With the improvement Jwill made from his frosh to soph year it's exciting to think how all 3 of our RBs will look come fall. The question will probably be how consistent we are in getting pressure on Webb and slowing down that spread but I like our chances

bennyl08

This game reminds me a lot of the Aggie game from the past season. Our offense should be able to move with ease, but will have to play in a hostile environment and not hurt themselves. The biggest difference is that the caliber of players with the aggies is much, much, much higher than the caliber we will be facing vs TTU. Plus, we kept the aTm game close last season. Combine that with the idea that we didn't lose very much ourselves, and that sets us up for what should be a solid victory for the hogs, IMO.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ZERO

It should be a high scoring affair, for sure. I would give us the nod, but being a road game makes me a little nervous.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

razorjack12

10 of our 11 starters on offense either started in 2013 or received considerable playing time.   I fully expect vast improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

Defense is still a huge question mark.  I can see us having difficulty covering Techs receivers, especially if we are unable to pressure the QB.

gchamblee

I think this game comes down to how well our secondary plays. If we can force them to run the ball I like our chances.

31to6

We won't win a close one.

Either we will run over them with long, sustained, TD-scoring drives and keep the ball out of their offense's hands or they will blow our doors off.

Mike_e

I say we roll em up and smoke em like a cheap cigar.

Look for us to put up over 300 yards on the ground and 125 or so in the air.

We'll give up maybe 200 yards in passing and another 80 on the ground to them.

Final:  Arkansas 42, ttu 24
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

razorjack12

Quote from: Mike_e on April 22, 2014, 01:26:23 am

Look for us to put up over 300 yards on the ground

I actually think this is very possible...if their DL fails to come together. 

razorjack12

Look for us to put up over 300 yards on the ground

bennyl08

They do lose their top 2 receivers. Over 40% of their stats are gone in that department. Not saying it will be easy, but it certainly helps. Even though Cobi was uncoverable, still had a tough time winning games.

It will be a great test to see if our secondary has improved as much as we have been hearing it has. However, IMO, the big matchup will be our DL v their OL. Basically the standard matchup b/w any Big 12 vs SEC team. I think our DL can be on a different level than their OL (even losing three starters on the DL). If so, our secondary won't matter too much.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawgzinbowlz

If we minimize mistakes/turnovers we should be able to move the ball and score enough for the win. Keeping the ball out of their offenses hands will allow us to control the game.
Our O line and D line are still somewhat of a work in progress but after viewing the scrimmages we have the pieces for both lines. Now it's a matter of Coach Pittman and Coach Segrest finding the right combinations/chemistry and helping to install an effective game plan.
We should win, with efficient play.

" GO HOGS "

RNHog

We can't talk texas tech. Too much whining about the Uniforms.

Tick Hog

I say we roll em up and smoke em like a cheap cigar.

Look for us to put up over 300 yards on the ground and 125 or so in the air.

We'll give up maybe 200 yards in passing and another 80 on the ground to them.

Final:  Arkansas 42, ttu 24
I think we win but we may very well give up 200 yds passing the first Qt. These guys know how to sling it around that's what they do. I think our Db's will be improved but I still say we give up a ton of yards through the air against them

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 22, 2014, 01:54:04 am
They do lose their top 2 receivers. Over 40% of their stats are gone in that department. Not saying it will be easy, but it certainly helps. Even though Cobi was uncoverable, still had a tough time winning games.

It will be a great test to see if our secondary has improved as much as we have been hearing it has. However, IMO, the big matchup will be our DL v their OL. Basically the standard matchup b/w any Big 12 vs SEC team. I think our DL can be on a different level than their OL (even losing three starters on the DL). If so, our secondary won't matter too much.

That could be the case Benny, but let's keep in mind that their passing game tends to be their running game. They will throw a lot of quick dink and dunk stuff underneath hoping our tackling is poor and that they can turn it into a big play. And once they have us reacting to that they will try to go deep on us.

Not saying you are wrong, as you said it will come down to our Secondary and LB's covering and tackling effectively, but this will also be where we will need great conditioning for the DL leading into this game because it may be a miracle if they ever get a hand on the QB before he releases the ball. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Quote from: razorjack12 on April 22, 2014, 12:07:41 am

I'm particularly interested to see how our OL matches up against Techs DL.   Tech lost their entire DL from last season and is basically hoping that 3 JUCO players can help them plug holes.   

I'm looking for a big TOP advantage for Arkansas with the TT O not being able to get on the field all that much.

Prestworthy

I think this game could be a huge confidence boost for the team, especially if the Auburn game is a loss.  This game could get them back on track.

Mike Irwin

They were using Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey with the two offense to simulate some of Tech's plays in practice today. The defense stuffed everything but obviously the real thing is going to be much harder to defend against.

Lake City Hog

This is really a game where TOP can make a huge difference in the 4th quarter.
If we can keep it close until the 4th quarter and lean on their D'Line all day long the 4th quarter should be ours for the taking!

Make their O stand on the sideline and maybe get just a bit antsy. Maybe force a couple of throws, make an error here or there out of frustration. IF we can run the ball effectively enough to have some 6 to 8 minute drives we can put them in a bind.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: razorjack12 on April 22, 2014, 01:33:45 am
Look for them to pass over 500 yards against us

870hogfan

bennyl08

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on April 22, 2014, 10:44:36 pm
Look for them to pass over 500 yards against us

Best way to beat a passing team is to keep them out of rhythm. Long periods between offensive drives, throwing the receivers off their routes, and hitting the qb are all good ways to do this. I think we will be able to do two of those things quite well in the game.

Tick Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 23, 2014, 01:21:49 am
Best way to beat a passing team is to keep them out of rhythm. Long periods between offensive drives, throwing the receivers off their routes, and hitting the qb are all good ways to do this. I think we will be able to do two of those things quite well in the game.
I'm not being a downer but what would possibly make you think this? I hope it's not because the coaches are saying that we're making progress because their gonna say that no matter what. You also have to think that anybody that gets to watch is seeing our Db's against B Allen and OUR air attack. I'll bet a hundo against anyone that thinks we hold them under 300 yds passing. No wonder people are mad at the world on this site when we loose. We hire a new D-Cord and DB coach and now all of a sudden we have Mich St's pass defense?

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

bennyl08

Quote from: tick hog on April 23, 2014, 02:03:25 am
I'm not being a downer but what would possibly make you think this? I hope it's not because the coaches are saying that we're making progress because their gonna say that no matter what. You also have to think that anybody that gets to watch is seeing our Db's against B Allen and OUR air attack. I'll bet a hundo against anyone that thinks we hold them under 300 yds passing. No wonder people are mad at the world on this site when we loose. We hire a new D-Cord and DB coach and now all of a sudden we have Mich St's pass defense?

Looking closely, I said we can do 2 out of the three. Our D line is still good, even as far as SEC lines go. Therefore, I think we will be able to hit their qb. Moreover, they lose a lot of defensive players, and aren't exactly known for their defense in the first place. Therefore, I like our odds to be able to do our bidding while on offense.

BENTON PIGGEE

Many of you will be sorely disappointed, I'm afraid.

The only games we will be favored to win will be Phillips State, UNI and UAB.

Here is a preseason poll:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/2/7/5387456/2014-college-football-rankings-football-outsiders-projections

MSU #29, Texas Tech #25, One Miss #26, A & M #7, UGA#8, Missouri #31, LSU#5, Bama#1, Auburn #12.

We come in at #48, with UNI at 51 and  UAB at 115.

:(

870hogfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on April 23, 2014, 02:55:59 am

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/2/7/5387456/2014-college-football-rankings-football-outsiders-projections

MSU #29, Texas Tech #25, One Miss #26, A & M #7, UGA#8, Missouri #31, LSU#5, Bama#1, Auburn #12.

Pre season polls usually aren't worth a great deal unless you are talking about the top 10 and even then they tend to miss.

Just keep in mind that Texas Tech started out their season last year playing teams that had a combined win percentage of .333 for their entire seasons. In other words, they went 7-0 against the softest part of their schedule and then folded like a cheap suit, when by all rights they should have been playing their best football, going 1-5 the last 6 games of the season when they played ranked teams.

I'm just saying, there isn't anything wrong with giving them respect before we play them, but they are far from from being unbeatable.
Go Hogs Go!

Tick Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 23, 2014, 02:24:38 am
Looking closely, I said we can do 2 out of the three. Our D line is still good, even as far as SEC lines go. Therefore, I think we will be able to hit their qb. Moreover, they lose a lot of defensive players, and aren't exactly known for their defense in the first place. Therefore, I like our odds to be able to do our bidding while on offense.
Sorry you're right I was half asleep when I responded. I do believe that we should be able to play a little keep away and get a decent pass rush. I thought I was arguing with the holding them to under 200 passing crowd. LoL

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tick hog on April 23, 2014, 05:20:51 am
Sorry you're right I was half asleep when I responded. I do believe that we should be able to play a little keep away and get a decent pass rush. I thought I was arguing with the holding them to under 200 passing crowd. LoL

I think they will probably pass for 300 against us, wouldn't surprise me a bit. After all, they passed for more than 300 yards in every game that they lost last season. But we have to keep in mind that their passing game is more like their running game as well with as many short passes as they tend to throw underneath coverage. Keep them contained, give them the little short completions, don't allow big plays, extend our drives to keep their offense off the field, don't turn the ball over and we will have a good shot at coming out of Lubbock with a W, IMO.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

It will take a solid D performance and we will need some long time eating TD drives and some ST scores.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

EastexHawg

Arizona State was 10-3 when they played Tech.  Their three losses were against Stanford (twice) and Notre Dame.  Notre Dame was 9-4 and beat ASU by three points in Jerry World early in the season.

Going into the Pac 12 Championship Game, Arizona State had won seven in a row.  Among their wins were Wisconsin (9-4), USC (10-4), Washington (9-4), UCLA (10-3), and Arizona (8-5). 

Texas Tech throttled them in the Holiday Bowl.

Yes, Tech came into that game riding a five game losing streak.  Their five losses were to Oklahoma (11-2), Oklahoma State (10-3), Kansas State (8-5), Baylor (11-2), and Texas (8-5).

How many teams of that caliber did we beat last year?  How many of the five do you suppose we would have won?

All that is to say I'm not sure why anyone thinks this trip to Lubbock ought to be almost automatically pencilled into the W column, or why we would assume we'll dictate how the game is played.  Can we win?  Of course we can, but when we start looking at who teams beat and didn't beat, and how long their losing streaks were...let's not forget our own.

BigBen

I think for playing against spread teams like Tech is one of the main reasons they wanted to move TQ Coleman to a hybrid LB/S position. I wouldn't be surprised to see us come out in some version of the 3-3-5 stack against them. Having Flowers, Philon, and Wise on the line would give us a big strong but yet still quick line to pass rush but also defend the run. But have Coleman playing a rover type position to help in the run support but also cover the underneath routes and be able to come up and make tackles to prevent the short throws from breaking free. If the coaches put this scheme in and it's as effective as I think it would be I wouldn't be surprised to see us win by 14+ points.

NaturalStateReb

I'm nearly obsessed with this game because of the contrasting styles, Big XII-SEC matchup, and the implications it has for Arkansas' post season chances.

Our projected OL outweighs Techs projected DL by a whopping 55lbs on average.    But this weight disparity does not include the addition of Techs JUCOs especially Rika Levi  http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Rika-Levi-149984;_ylt=AijIZ14tjOqddnjfNT.Aec5DPZB4 

What say you?

I think Taco Tech will be pretty mediocre defensively, and will be outstanding offensively, provided that QB Davis Webb stays healthy.  So, standard Big XII fare there. 

I think this is a great matchup and should produce a close game.  I think if Arkansas starts turning the ball over, Taco Tech will make them pay, but Tech's defense wasn't very good at producing turnovers last year, forcing only 19 during last season.  I'd feel better about this one if it was a home game.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Biggus Piggus

We would have had no prayer of stopping Tech with Ash as defensive coordinator. The horrible coverages would have given receivers free reign. Our pass rush would have collapsed from a hopeless inability to reach the QB before he got rid of the football. The new scheme might help, might work only until the secondary tires, or might simply allow Tech to score faster. At least the coverage will be on receivers longer than 0 seconds. And blitzes have a chance to do some good.

I'll never fully understand how much scheme/philosophy had to do with the poor number of takeaways last season.
[CENSORED]!

bphi11ips

Based upon everything we generally know about college football, Arkansas is likely to have superior athletes and superior depth.  That doesn't mean we will win the game, but it could account for our 28-7 record against Texas Tech overall, 15-2 in Lubbock.  If anything, Arkansas may have improved comparatively since joining the SEC. 

This is a generalization.  Every year is different.  I do believe Arkansas will be much better than anticipated in 2014.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

code red

What say you?
On the road....I would make them overwhelming favorites.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on April 23, 2014, 02:55:59 am

I ssoooooooo agree with this.  Every SEC team we play will be preseason top 25.....except for maybe Mizzou.  We play 3 teams that are fresh off of BCS bowl appearances.  We have an unproven QB that on occasions has folded under pressure.  It is looking to be not much better than last year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

phadedhawg

I'm gonna be there and will be with my buddy who's a Texas Tech fan.  If we lose I will never hear the end of it

wupigsuey

We'll be fine. It's not like they're world beaters. They beat 4-8 WVU as the only win of note last year and lost their last 5 games not counting the bowl against AzSt. I know we had a tough year last season but I still think we're better than our record was.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

secneahog

Honestly not worried about this game. You think three jucos are going to stop our oline?

This game worries some but not me. To say we won't win because of PRE SEASON rankings is a joke.

Amatuer hour.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

masshog2412

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 22, 2014, 10:12:56 pm
They were using Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey with the two offense to simulate some of Tech's plays in practice today. The defense stuffed everything but obviously the real thing is going to be much harder to defend against.
i would assume that it is good news the defense is stopping ANYBODY

secneahog

Quote from: masshog2412 on April 23, 2014, 01:08:41 pm
i would assume that it is good news the defense is stopping ANYBODY

Think more. Post less.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

masshog2412

Quote from: tick hog on April 23, 2014, 02:03:25 am
huge difference in 500 and 300...we could give up 300 and still get the W

masshog2412

Quote from: secneahog on April 23, 2014, 01:10:37 pm
Think more. Post less.
says the guy with 2500 posts mostly full of drivel

secneahog

Quote from: masshog2412 on April 23, 2014, 01:12:40 pm
says the guy with 2500 posts mostly full of drivel

To know what my 2500 posts consist of worries me about you. Catch a hobby bro.

trashcan maN

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 23, 2014, 09:00:10 am

All that is to say I'm not sure why anyone thinks this trip to Lubbock ought to be almost automatically pencilled into the W column, or why we would assume we'll dictate how the game is played. 
Who is saying this? Basically everyone in this thread concedes that we will give up a chunk through the air but we should have superior line play which gives us a chance to control the pace. No one is pencilling anything.

masshog2412

Quote from: secneahog on April 23, 2014, 01:17:46 pm
To know what my 2500 posts consist of worries me about you. Catch a hobby bro.
haha your right .....nice talk

DeltaBoy

I got several on my wife side of the family who will hound me through Christmas if we lose to TECH!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Deep Shoat

Line play will allow us to dictate the game.  Sure, they will throw for some yds and likely score a few points.  But we will hit their QB a lot and our OL will destroy their DL.

We win going away, 42-24.
All Gas, No Brakes!