Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Oliver

Started by porkrindjimmy, April 21, 2014, 04:04:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

porkrindjimmy

I am going to preface this by saying I know this kid personally but the kid is a bulldog. I love Beeks and Killian but I believe Chris should be the friday night starter. There is no doubt he is a big game pitcher, will definitely be our first player drafted.

Just hadnt seen alot of love for Chris and believe this guy is a bulldog.

PRJ

Break & Run

He is great when the defense isn't making errors.  He loses focus when that starts happening.  That wouldn't be a good way to start a weekend series.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

TikiHog

he's fine where he's at

Baseball Hog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 21, 2014, 04:04:03 pm
will definitely be our first player drafted.

Definitely?  Eh.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Baseball Hog on April 21, 2014, 04:31:26 pm
Definitely?  Eh.

I believe he will be the first hog off the board in the draft.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Break & Run on April 21, 2014, 04:12:10 pm
He is great when the defense isn't making errors.  He loses focus when that starts happening.  That wouldn't be a good way to start a weekend series.

Our friday night starter is 2-6 with those same defensive errors. Chris over his last few starts has knuckled down and delivered when he has had to.

The guy is a bulldog.

PRJ

hogfan14

we're 5-1 in sunday games with him. I wouldn't change what is working lol

Scott7703

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 21, 2014, 04:38:56 pm
Our friday night starter is 2-6 with those same defensive errors. Chris over his last few starts has knuckled down and delivered when he has had to.

The guy is a bulldog.

PRJ

While I agree that Oliver has pitched well how in the world do you even almost take a jab at trey Killian? Killian has gotten little to no run support or would have 6-7 wins. Killian has thrown great as have Oliver and Beeks.

TikiHog

Porky I can promise you if the starting 3 stay healthy Oliver wont be throwing on Friday

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 21, 2014, 05:18:34 pm
While I agree that Oliver has pitched well how in the world do you even almost take a jab at trey Killian? Killian has gotten little to no run support or would have 6-7 wins. Killian has thrown great as have Oliver and Beeks.

There was no jab aimed at Trey. I simply stated his record on fridays was a result of no run support and shotty defense.

PRJ

Sueie

Quote from: TikiHog on April 21, 2014, 05:48:07 pm
Porky I can promise you if the starting 3 stay healthy Oliver wont be throwing on Friday
Well at least you are not still on the Oliver to the bullpen BS. I told them almost 3 months ago. He would not be in the bullpen.

Sueie

Quote from: hogfan14 on April 21, 2014, 05:09:40 pm
we're 5-1 in sunday games with him. I wouldn't change what is working lol
Agree!!!!!

jacobp

Arguing with Suie ain't gonna get anyone anywhere...especially if you're talking about his kid

TikiHog

Quote from: Sueie on April 21, 2014, 06:49:49 pm
Well at least you are not still on the Oliver to the bullpen BS. I told them almost 3 months ago. He would not be in the bullpen.

sorry wrong again Ive never said anything about your kid being in the pen...I actually like your kid on and off the field...you I tolerate :)

hound

Ya`ll better back off McBee Jr.

Sueie

Not you in particular. You as "the board". You tolerate me EVEN after I posted the Astros were horrible? You are a true friend. My apologies. LOL

Sueie

Quote from: hound on April 21, 2014, 07:40:09 pm
Ya`ll better back off McBee Jr.
These people could not hold McBee spit cup. Wanna be's by the bus full. Ha

ucahogfan

Chris Oliver has shown why it is good for a pitcher to go to college.  He went from topping at about 93 his freshman year with fringe average offspeed to working 91-95 and hitting 96-97 late in games with a plus curveball and a very nice change up his junior year.  He will be very wealthy man here in about 2 months along with Brian Anderson who might go off the board ahead of him although Chris is probably the better prospect.

The best thing is knowing that Chris will be starting on Sundays with Trey on Friday and Jalen on Saturdays.  Very few teams in the country have that kind of stability in their weekend rotation and know that each of them will pretty much give you a quality start by major league standards every single time out.

This pitching staff is Omaha good, and the offense has played well enough the last couple of weeks to show promise in getting us there.

TikiHog

Quote from: Sueie on April 21, 2014, 07:42:11 pm
Not you in particular. You as "the board". You tolerate me EVEN after I posted the Astros were horrible? You are a true friend. My apologies. LOL

you know before the season is over I'll have to come over and say Hi

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Sueie on April 21, 2014, 07:42:11 pm

Oh I see how it is....lol

PRJ

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 21, 2014, 07:54:32 pm

This pitching staff is Omaha good, and the offense has played well enough the last couple of weeks to show promise in getting us there.
Man..... I'm so glad we (almost all) are saying and thinking this at this time of the season. A month ago not many of us were thinking this at all.

Sueie

No conflicts in the locker room will help a team improve. Won't it?

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Sueie on April 21, 2014, 08:53:38 pm
Yes!

And, attitude and confidence go a long way over the course of a long baseball season.

And, sometimes changes are good.

Dr. Starcs

So how high will Oliver and Beeks go and what kinda $ are they looking at?

futurehogdad

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 21, 2014, 04:36:51 pm
I believe he will be the first hog off the board in the draft.

PRJ

A certain coach that "I won't name" said Oliver was the most "talented/with upside" pitcher on this team.  He also said Chris was on par with talent to last years staff.

He could be the first Piggie taken this year.

Scott7703

Quote from: Sueie on April 21, 2014, 08:53:38 pm

Were there conflicts last year?

I take it they all get along great this year?

ucahogfan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 21, 2014, 09:19:17 pm
Oliver will go no later than the 2nd-3rd round much like Anderson.  Oliver could even sneak into Comp Bal A or the 1st round if he closes strong.  His improvement from even last year to this year is incredible.  Oliver is looking at a 800K+ bonus probably.

Beeks is a top 10 round pick type.  He is more the crafty lefty, but was hitting 94 at certain points on Saturday as well.  Beeks is more 250-300K probably.

seasonhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 21, 2014, 09:19:17 pm

Those calling the game for ESPN sun said Oliver would go for a million, & maybe Beeks also.

porkrindjimmy

Ollie has the game and competitiveness to be an outstanding MLB pitcher. Hitting 97 on the fastball with the breaking ball and change that has improved leaps and bounds from last year and continues to improve game by game...I just love his stuff and his moxie. He reminds me of the mold of Wainwright and Wacha. Not saying he is there but I believe he can get to that point.

PRJ

ucahogfan

Quote from: futurehogdad on April 21, 2014, 09:36:06 pm
A certain coach that "I won't name" said Oliver was the most "talented/with upside" pitcher on this team.  He also said Chris was on par with talent to last years staff.

He could be the first Piggie taken this year.
I feel like the weekend rotation this year is more talented than the one we had last year. 

Oliver and Stanek are very similar in that they are tall, athletic pitchers with a mid 90s fastball with life and a plus breaking ball (curve for Oliver, slider for Stanek), but they have spells of wildness (Oliver in Baton Rouge) and don't strike out a ton of hitters for the stuff they have and yet are really good, effective pitchers.  I give a slight edge to Stanek because of experience.

Killian and Astin are very similar as well in that they are the Friday night guy, but aren't gonna blow you away with stuff.  Killian will be 88-92 much like Astin, but they have good life on their fastballs.  Both are strike-throwers, but I feel like Killian has the better control.  Astin has the better breaking ball though.  I give a slight edge to Killian because he has thrown a ton of innings this year.

Beeks and Fant are both the crafty LHPs of the staff.  Fant was more of a two pitch guy with an upper 80s fastball and a plus changeup while Beeks is a 3 pitch guy with a fastball topping at 93-94, a changeup in the mid 80s that RHHs have trouble sitting back on, and a breaking ball that LHHs can't touch.  The edge goes to Beeks here.

Sueie

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 21, 2014, 09:39:58 pm
Were there conflicts last year?

I take it they all get along great this year?
Yes and Yes.

porkrindjimmy

Well...I stand by my opinion and feel it wil be vindicated.

He is a bulldog that barring injury, I will be watching tear up MLB for many years.

PRJ

Baseball Hog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 21, 2014, 10:47:05 pm
Well...I stand by my opinion and feel it wil be vindicated.

He is a bulldog that barring injury, I will be watching tear up MLB for many years.

PRJ

Setting the bar kinda high on the kid.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Baseball Hog on April 21, 2014, 11:00:18 pm
Setting the bar kinda high on the kid.

In my opinion, he is that good. I have watched him a very long time and as I said before, he has the makeup and moxie to do it.

PRJ

Kevin

All the starters are pitching their guts out.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dotnet

Quote from: Kevin on April 22, 2014, 06:41:25 am
All the starters are pitching their guts out.

I agree.  If DVH came out tomorrow with a completely different order of the three, I would be 100% indifferent (except for rest purposes).  I probably feel the most confident with Beeks for some reason.. but I feel the team is just as likely to win with any of the three on the bump. 

It makes for a fun season..