Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good luck catching up

Started by CallThemHawgs!, April 21, 2014, 12:17:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CallThemHawgs!

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/recruiting/bama-owns-weekend-has-one-of-nations-top-one-day-hauls-ever/

That whole "Cant out Bama, Bama" thing...

If we cant out scheme them, and they recruit like this, we are running in a hamster wheel trying to catch Usain Bolt.

Hope I am wrong.  :razorback:

go hogues

We also have to "Out-Auburn, ATM, MSU, OM, LSU" as well. My opinion is that history says we'll always be middle of the road to just below the line, with a 10 win season every 7-8 years.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HogFanatic

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 21, 2014, 12:17:30 pm
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/recruiting/bama-owns-weekend-has-one-of-nations-top-one-day-hauls-ever/

If we cant out scheme them, and they recruit like this, we are running in a hamster wheel trying to catch Usain Bolt.

Good for them.
Still gotta play the game. Lesser talented teams can and do win all the time. Really the Razorback program just needs to gain some momentum. There is nothing stopping Arkansas from achieving the same measure of success Alabama enjoys. People act like Alabama has always been king of the mountain, and they haven't been. They have had prolonged periods of mediocrity too. Why? Because, like Arkansas, they are a low population density southern state. In fact, Arkansas may have a built in leg up on Alabama in recruiting as Arkansas doesn't compete with another in state top program.

Saban is a good coach. The best. And that is the difference here. Bielema is a great coach as well. We will see how it all shakes out in the next few years.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: go hogues on April 21, 2014, 12:26:27 pm
We also have to "Out-Auburn, ATM, MSU, OM, LSU" as well. My opinion is that history says we'll always be middle of the road to just below the line, with a 10 win season every 7-8 years.

I think this is the sad reality, for a number of reasons.

The realization certainly makes the losses easier

ricepig

You're wrong, feel better?  We aren't going to out recruit the top 5-7 in the SEC, but don't worry, there isn't a lot of difference in those rankings.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2014, 12:34:10 pm
You're wrong, feel better?  We aren't going to out recruit the top 5-7 in the SEC, but don't worry, there isn't a lot of difference in those rankings.

Based on the product Bama has put on the field the past 5 years, it sure does seem like there is a big difference.

ricepig

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 21, 2014, 12:35:46 pm
Based on the product Bama has put on the field the past 5 years, it sure does seem like there is a big difference.

Coaching and overall winning helps.

Mike_e

We don't have to out bama, we just have to play one game better than they do.

It's not best of seven, it's only one game.  It only takes one point more than they have in that one game.

It's about maximizing our opportunities and thwarting theirs and getting a break or three.

Sure better talent makes it easier but manipulating the game progression within the structure and boundaries of the game gives us a chance.

Game theory-  http://www.gametheory.net/
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

choppedporkextrasauce

It must suck to go through life with a defeatist attitude.

Vantage 8 dude

Expecting a lot of cheese with that major whine?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 21, 2014, 01:02:24 pm
Expecting a lot of cheese with that major whine?

Hahaha, uh, no. Just posting an article related to recruiting in the SEC.

If my memory serves me right we hosted a bunch of recruits this past weekend in Fayetteville, even had amazing weather.

How did that go?

ricepig

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 21, 2014, 01:12:34 pm

If my memory serves me right we hosted a bunch of recruits this past weekend in Fayetteville, even had amazing weather.

How did that go?

90% were sophomores, it was designated that way. Our spring game is this weekend.

cosmodrum

How did that go?

The way it goes for us. the big name guys we land come at the end of the process, if at all. Bama, Texas, etc get them earlier. That's why an early-signing period would be devastating for us.

We're not a 10-11 win per year program. We haven't been, and we will never be. We don't have the recruiting base. When we DO have those kinds of years, it's because of an exceptional homegrown class or two. The juniors/seniors that Bobby had in his last two years is a great example.
Go away, batin'

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 21, 2014, 01:22:45 pm
The way it goes for us. the big name guys we land come at the end of the process, if at all. Bama, Texas, etc get them earlier. That's why an early-signing period would be devastating for us.

We're not a 10-11 win per year program. We haven't been, and we will never be. We don't have the recruiting base. When we DO have those kinds of years, it's because of an exceptional homegrown class or two. The juniors/seniors that Bobby had in his last two years is a great example.

Right on the money. What worries me about this is that in order to win in the SEC with BBs system, as he did at Wisconsin, it is going to take talent. Lots of it.

What happens when the talent is depleted for whatever reason? Seasons like last year.

IMO its always better to start with a superior scheme then recruit around it. Rather than do what everyone else is doing and try and out recruit them for the same guys.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2014, 01:16:14 pm
90% were sophomores, it was designated that way. Our spring game is this weekend.

Excellent, I cant wait for this weekend then.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 21, 2014, 01:31:10 pm
I'll be there, man.

You and I both, I will bring the beers. Lets golf.

cosmodrum

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 21, 2014, 01:32:38 pm

You and I both, I will bring the beers. Lets golf.

Oh I think that's the plan actually. let me make sure with Wildvag
Go away, batin'

RazorPiggie

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 21, 2014, 01:26:57 pm
Right on the money. What worries me about this is that in order to win in the SEC with BBs system, as he did at Wisconsin, it is going to take talent. Lots of it.

What happens when the talent is depleted for whatever reason? Seasons like last year.

IMO its always better to start with a superior scheme then recruit around it. Rather than do what everyone else is doing and try and out recruit them for the same guys.

I guess we can't develop average players into talented players?

mmhogs17

Alabama is out recruiting everyone? Who knew! They've had the #1 class for like 5 straight years.. if you ever think we're going to compete with them there you have some unrealistic views.

redeye

The whole can't out Bama thing assumes that we'll play exactly like Alabama, but we won't.  It assumes that Alabama mostly runs the ball, but they don't.  And if they did, I'd like our chances with the success Bielema and Pittman have had running the ball.

The best thing about Alabama is it's defense, but our defense is nothing like theirs.  I'd be very happy if our defense was just close to their's, even if Alabama's was still better.

Point is that while Alabama and Arkansas may both run pro-style offenses that run first, they're still very different teams.  Far too much is made out of this whole can't out Bama thing for that reason.  Some of us seem to think we're simply trying to beat Alabama at it's own game, but that's nonsense.

Vantage 8 dude

That's the spirit: just throw up your hands and say "What the heck, no use trying". Yep, that's the PERFECT solution! If you can't beat 'em just quit. No need to ever try to close the gap or improve our recruiting, coaching, and overall play. No wonder the state of Arkansas, as much as I LOVE it, has always had an inferiority complex.   

Vantage 8 dude

How did that go?
Well we'll see in the end won't we. Ever heard of waiting until the end to determine exactly the results? Just because they all didn't commit on the spot DOESN'T mean that the weekend was a total "washout". Then again, that certainly won't sit well with your "woe is me (us), we're just poor little ole Arkansas what can we do"? song and dance routine. Let's wait and see on NSD where we stand. Not saying we'll beat 'Bama in the standings, however, not saying our efforts won't be well rewarded either.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog Fan...DOH!

First bridge to cross: Get consistently competitive. 

Second: make a bowl game.

Third: make better bowl game by winning more big games.

Fourth:  get to BCS (or equivalent) whereby program competes with big boys for championships. 

Fifth:  For the love of all that is holy, get consistent.  Keep coach for more than 4 years.  Don't keep Nutt for 10.  Done.

Jek Tono Porkins

As long as Saban is there, we will be underdogs to Alabama. It's just the way it is. If you think Bielema is going to beat Saban on a consistent basis, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

hobhog

You can Look forward to the challenge that is in front of us or go wet the bed.

95% of the country is looking up at Bama. It won't last forever, never does. We will get our chances and look forward to it.

Oklahawg

*GASP* I can't believe that there is a thread on this!!

*GASP* I can't believe that Alabama recruits top-rated recruits!

HINT: It has always been that way. Coaching and player development matter. Finding the go-to stud matters.

I love to follow the players who show UA interest but I hate reading crap like this. Makes me want to no longer watch sports.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 21, 2014, 01:22:45 pm

Seems like an early signing period would be an advantage for teams that had a tenured coaching staff without a lot of turnover, so that the coaches forming bonds with the sophomores would be there through the early signing period.  Also would be an advantage for teams having success on the field which could be us as much as most teams going into the future.

Since we have to get more talent from out of state it might help us to lock down a top talent early so the in-state school has less time to flip them.

Not saying you're wrong, but there's pros and cons to consider.  If we can't start winning more than we lose then it won't help us........ but then again what would?
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

PygmalionEffect

I bring up this same point a lot but I don't see anyone else talking about it much, but Sam Pittman seemed to prove so far that he can out-recruit anyone to any school.  His message that we are going to improve and compete obviously has traction with these recruits.

Now for that success to continue, we're going to need to start winning or his message won't be as effective.

We're just one Sam Pittman clone on defense away from being able to recruit well enough to compete with anyone including bama, so in light of reality and what has taken place these last two years right in front of our faces, I have a little trouble with those that say we'll NEVER compete in recruiting with the top 4-5 SEC schools. 

I don't think that's necessarily true.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Tejas_Pete

Stars are over rated. 2B's can make up for it with his stellar in game coaching skillz like when we fake punted going into half with the lead against Mississippi St. 1-0.

Choctaw Hog

Luck will have little to do with catching up.

JansterZ71

Quote from: Tejas_Pete on April 21, 2014, 07:21:31 pm
Stars are over rated. 2B's can make up for it with his stellar in game coaching skillz like when we fake punted going into half with the lead against Mississippi St. 1-0.

I admit I laughed
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

bobcat ball

Quote from: ReddieHawg on April 21, 2014, 05:37:26 pm
As long as Saban is there, we will be underdogs to Alabama. It's just the way it is. If you think Bielema is going to beat Saban on a consistent basis, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

That goes for all schools. The Aubbie and Okie games are not the norm and won't be the norm going forward. Saban is the best coach in the country and that didn't change because of a couple of losses to end the season.

Prolly pissed him off more then anything.
WOO PIG

Hoggish1

Good news is Bama got players from old piss.  Bama is a program, old piss is not...  No reason old piss should get player$ (even with $).

HogFoo

As some have pointed out already.  We don't have to "out bama bama''   And I don't know why some of you fans think that we do.  Yes, bama has great talent at most every position but it's not as if its 85 vs 85  every single play.  Sure, if it was, Bama would win everything on paper.  But it's not that way.    Its 11 on 11.    The style of play that both teams play lends for a shorter game because its a smashmouth style.  Its not quick strike. 

Our OLine in years to come will be every bit as powerful as Bama as will our run game.  I have no doubt about that.  I think our offense in general will be every bit as good as bamas was or is.     

Our defense will take a bit to catch up.  And it's highly doubtful that we will EVER catch up to the amount of talent that bama has.  But, we don't need too.  We don't have to have 5 stars at every position to win. As a previous poster pointed out.  We just have to be better 1 game out of the season. 

It happens all the time.  Teams with supposed "better talent"  not winning the game.  The Hogs will be ok.  Just have to start getting some wins under the belt and our recruiting will truly take off.  I read somewhere someone posted BB's style is not a Win quick style of ball  but it is a consistently win type once you get there.  I do believe that is true. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Oklahawg

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 21, 2014, 06:21:51 pm
I bring up this same point a lot but I don't see anyone else talking about it much, but Sam Pittman seemed to prove so far that he can out-recruit anyone to any school.  His message that we are going to improve and compete obviously has traction with these recruits.

Now for that success to continue, we're going to need to start winning or his message won't be as effective.

We're just one Sam Pittman clone on defense away from being able to recruit well enough to compete with anyone including bama, so in light of reality and what has taken place these last two years right in front of our faces, I have a little trouble with those that say we'll NEVER compete in recruiting with the top 4-5 SEC schools. 

I don't think that's necessarily true.

Great post.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: bobcat ball on April 21, 2014, 08:21:07 pm
That goes for all schools. The Aubbie and Okie games are not the norm and won't be the norm going forward. Saban is the best coach in the country and that didn't change because of a couple of losses to end the season.

Prolly pissed him off more then anything.

I shudder to think about Saban being extra motivated to win. Gawd.

bobcat ball

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 21, 2014, 09:08:06 pm
I shudder to think about Saban being extra motivated to win. Gawd.

For sure. I'm sure he likes all the "experts" saying that he's losing his touch.
WOO PIG

onebadrubi

Oklahoma says darn up, it can be done and that's why the game is played.  Why are we worried about bama, a true dynasty in sports at the moment?  A once in 50 years type, one no program can compete with every year?  We just need to improve and let this good staff coach up these kids. 

CallThemHawgs!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 21, 2014, 07:50:03 pm
I admit I laughed
Really?! Who on earth would have guessed you would?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Tejas_Pete on April 21, 2014, 07:21:31 pm

Hahaha, +1 for facts

RNHog

With the location of the university, you better get used to the "hamster wheel".

gmarv

what a great post by hogfoo. if the whoa is us crowd can,t see it
from his post they never will.

Arkiebarkie

Quote from: RNHog on April 22, 2014, 12:58:33 am
With the location of the university, you better get used to the "hamster wheel".

There is nothing wrong with where the campus is located.  That is the lame excuse that a loser coach would use.  Where are these Razorbacks from?

Tretola,Ragnow, Wallace, J. Williams, A Collins, D. Kirkland, Skipper,Kohler, Peavy, Cornilius, J. Flowers, Jojo Robinson, Philon, J. Winston, Wise etc.  We can and will win with these players. All are from Out Of State.  We need to wrap up the great instate classes coming up. The foundation is being layed, need a few more blocks & rebar...We are within a 5 hour drive of the Metro-Plex of Dallas, St Louis, KC, Memphis, Tulsa and we have done well outside of our region.  We are getting studs from Florida with CBB and staff. Can some of you Cats not see this?  Give it time, we were run into a ditch, we needed a huge Wrecker to get our butts out of it. CBB and staff are a huge driven coaching staff...Thats a huge Wrecker!  Rant over!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 21, 2014, 12:35:46 pm
That has as much to do with coaching as recruiting.

From a purely logical standpoint, CBB's system is far more likely to beat Bama than Bobby's AT ARKANSAS.  Sure, give Bobby (or Gus) Auburn talent and they will beat Bama from time to time.  But year to year, with Arkansas talent, a solid D, and O that wears down your D and doesn't make mistakes, that is the way to beat Bama. 

It is a tried and true strategy, used since the beginnings of football.  Most of you are just too damn young to know it.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 21, 2014, 11:40:03 pm
Depressing isnt it Tyrion...

I mean, it's nothing new.  Certainly not a surprise. 

We've got a great start to 2015, and we'll probably get another commit or two this weekend.  Recruiting is trending upward.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

opineonswine

We couldn't beat them with the Petrino pass and shoot so maybe we'll have better luck with this approach.

Hope so.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2014, 08:29:51 am
I mean, it's nothing new.  Certainly not a surprise. 

We've got a great start to 2015, and we'll probably get another commit or two this weekend.  Recruiting is trending upward.

Well, it was scraping bottom harder than Malaysian Airlines flight 370, so I certainly would hope it is trending updward...