Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Players have to play two years in college now

Started by pillowhog, April 21, 2014, 09:41:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pillowhog

Hearing it is a done deal.  I see this hurting us more than helping us.  Hopefully we can get Monk, would be fun having him for two years

Hawg Red

No president for the NBAPA. How can it be a done deal?

trashcan maN

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 21, 2014, 09:45:20 am
No president for the NBAPA. How can it be a done deal?
It's not a done deal yet, but Silver has said several times that this is his #1 priority. That makes me think it's inevitable.

Brewerfan10

We will start seeing a lot more guys re-classifying up a year if at all possible.

Hawg Red

Quote from: kj0N on April 21, 2014, 09:49:29 am
It's not a done deal yet, but Silver has said several times that this is his #1 priority. That makes me think it's inevitable.

Right, but that's a lot different than what the OP is saying. It will happen but there's still a lot that has to happen between now and "done deal." All kinds of negotiating and concessions. They likely haven't even talked to the NBAPA about it yet.

The_Iceman

I personally like the one and done rule. I think in terms of protecting players from making bad decisions out of high school, its the best way to see if players are ready for the NBA.

But, if they do change, I think they should do a Go Pro or Stay 2 (or 3) years rule like in baseball.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 21, 2014, 09:53:41 am
I think they should do a Go Pro or Stay 2 (or 3) years rule like in baseball.

I don't think you'll ever see the NBA do that. There will be no early window of opportunity with the NBA. And the reason why is because all of the elite prospects, and even a number of the semi elite prospects, would just go pro right away instead of being tied down to multiple college seasons. That would really defeat the purpose of the age limit. The NBA will always have the rule be that the player is eligible for the draft after X years out of HS.

pillowhog

Just going on what I heard from ESPN.  I think it will be great for college basketball

trashcan maN

Quote from: pillowhog on April 21, 2014, 09:57:55 am
Just going on what I heard from ESPN.  I think it will be great for college basketball
ESPN reporting it's done?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: kj0N on April 21, 2014, 10:35:23 am
ESPN reporting it's done?

No. Silver is saying all the right things publicly, but it takes two to tango and the NBAPA will certainly not simply bend over and let Silver dictate terms.

The OP is confused.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

popcornhog

Quote from: pillowhog on April 21, 2014, 09:41:32 am
Hearing it is a done deal.  I see this hurting us more than helping us.  Hopefully we can get Monk, would be fun having him for two years

I can't find ANYTHING showing that it is a done deal.
WPS

jjdlc

But, if they do change, I think they should do a Go Pro or Stay 2 (or 3) years rule like in baseball.

I'm in favor of that as well.  I think after getting burned a few times by paying millions to straight out of HS kids that aren't really ready, most teams would shy away from that route, and would only take chances on the most elite talent.  I think, in the long term, it would improve both College ball and the NBA.

popcornhog

I personally like the one and done rule. I think in terms of protecting players from making bad decisions out of high school, its the best way to see if players are ready for the NBA.

Yeah, the baseball rule is what I'd like to see because it would benefit the college game so much. That said, it's not good for players who have zero interest in academics.

I guess the kids could always just go to Europe out of high school if they don't have grades or interest in college.
WPS

Fatty McGee

Quote from: jjdlc on April 21, 2014, 10:55:38 am
I'm in favor of that as well.  I think after getting burned a few times by paying millions to straight out of HS kids that aren't really ready, most teams would shy away from that route, and would only take chances on the most elite talent.  I think, in the long term, it would improve both College ball and the NBA.

They don't get burned like that anymore courtesy of the CBA and the three year rookie contracts.  So you can take a high schooler and spend time with him working on his game full time, or he can be in school, having limited practice hours and having to juggle everything else.

If you're the player, you want to go pro early.  Why let your draft stock potentially be affected by an injury or a bad coaching/team situation and have to wait longer until you're out of the rookie contracts?

What the NCAA SHOULD do is let players get drafted, and if they don't like their position, let them come back to school but make them stay a couple years if they want to do that.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

The Boar War

Quote from: popcornhog on April 21, 2014, 10:58:10 am

I guess the kids could always just go to Europe out of high school if they don't have grades or interest in college.

They would.  That's why this won't happen.