Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Only Stats

Started by dotnet, April 21, 2014, 09:09:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dotnet

Looking at the team SEC only stats, Arkansas has the lowest batting average.  However, Arkansas has also scored the 11th most runs and given up the fewest. 

Arkansas has the 4th highest run differential in the conference.  If you took out the Alabama "sign stealing" game, then Arkansas would have the second best in the conference. 

If you looked at expected wins based no run differential, Arkansas should have 11 (10.6) wins.

Looking at the upcoming schedule -

Auburn is 12th in run differential and Missouri is last. 

However Ole Miss is first, by a wide margin.  If you doubled second place Alabama (with the "sign steal" game), they still wouldn't have the run differential of Ole Miss. 

A&M is also much higher than you would think.  They are in fifth place behind Arkansas.

A major note:  A&M lost the series this week but beat UK 14-2 on Sunday.  Without that game, A&M would have a negative run differential and third place UK would be closer to Ole Miss than Arkansas.  These things tend to even out, but with only 30 games, sometimes one outlier that you may allow to save pitching or get people work in a blow out can skew the numbers a little bit.  For example, there are people that pitched in that Friday game against Bama that I don't think have seen an SEC game since. 

dotnet

Oh - I should add... on the list of top SEC pitchers by ERA, Arkansas has numbers 5-7 in the entire league.  Actually, one of those top 4 was the Vandy closer who has started all of one game this year - Saturday. 

So of full year starters, Arkansas has 3 of the top 6 pitchers in the league by ERA.  Impressive.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on April 21, 2014, 11:19:35 am
Oh - I should add... on the list of top SEC pitchers by ERA, Arkansas has numbers 5-7 in the entire league.  Actually, one of those top 4 was the Vandy closer who has started all of one game this year - Saturday. 

So of full year starters, Arkansas has 3 of the top 6 pitchers in the league by ERA.  Impressive.
Is one of them Andy Cox from Tennessee?  He is a reliever for the Vols used very much like we used both Brandon Moore and Cade Lynch.  He actually committed to the Hogs before switching to the Vols when Serrano was hired and we got Colin Poche to replace him.

dotnet

I thought that name sounded familiar.  Andy Cox is tenth in the league.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: dotnet on April 21, 2014, 09:09:17 am

Arkansas has the 4th highest run differential in the conference.  If you took out the Alabama "sign stealing" game, then Arkansas would have the second best in the conference. 

That is one of the more frustrating aspect of following this year's team; having the feeling that they should have a better record than they do based on the fact that it seems nearly every game they lose is one they easily could have (and in some cases, definitely should have) won.  Whereas the games they win, most often, they win by a reasonable margin.

Just look over the last 3 weeks, a stretch in which the Hogs have played 11 games against teams ranked right around #10 at the time they played them, with the exception of S. Carolina - who was the #1 RPI when we hosted them.  We've gone 6-5 in those games.  In our 5 losses, we lost by a total of 8 runs; in our 6 wins, our aggregate margin was 29 runs.  So, our average loss was by 1.6 runs, but our average win was by nearly 5 runs a game.