Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I know it's wrong, but!!!

Started by Lake City Hog, April 20, 2014, 07:55:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

We need to sweep Auburn!
We need to take 2 of 3 from ATM and Missouri.
We need to win 1 at Ole Miss and stealing a 2nd would be huge!

That scenario would leave us with a conference record of 17 - 13 and I think that would get us a 2 seed.

popcornhog

I think we'd host in that scenario. A two seed would be more than certain.
WPS

Kenny Dowell Loggains

April 20, 2014, 09:53:03 pm #2 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:03:25 pm by gguillo
Hosting is pretty much non-existent unless we go into beast mode the rest of the season, and win a lot in the SEC tourney (which history tells us that's like hell freezing over)

These days you need about 40+ wins to host, 38-39 wins if you're in a power conference like the SEC or ACC to be a host lock.  As we've seen in recent history, doesn't matter what conference you're from or how tough your conference is.  Teams get a host (because of record) even if they play in inferior conferences and against inferior opponents.  Example: Coastal Carolina, Purdue, and Indiana in recent years.

Assuming the above plays out, plus we win both games against NWState and the game vs. Missouri St., that would still only give us 36 wins, plus whatever we do in the SEC tourney (which is usually not good).  A 2 or 3 seed is what we're looking at.  Which is decent considering early in the season (after the South Alabama and West Coast tourney debacle) there were many, myself included, that thought we could be in jeopardy of missing the tourney for the first time under DVH.

Having said all that, the best thing you can do is take care of business and hang around the Top 16 in rankings and RPI at the end of the season, that way you can be in the discussion!  Even then (Hogs in 2012), sometimes you get screwed and they let Louisville host instead.

reddogjcss

josh_sec33

Watch La-La get a site.

and I promise we'll be sent there.

Not that I'd complain or anything.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Cotton

Quote from: josh_sec33 on April 20, 2014, 10:40:11 pm
Watch La-La get a site.

and I promise we'll be sent there.

Not that I'd complain or anything.
La-La might be small, but it's one of the best baseball atmospheres in the country.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Kevin

Why would they not send a mississippi team to la-la and us to Stillwater or a site in texas
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on April 21, 2014, 06:49:37 am
Why would they not send a mississippi team to la-la and us to Stillwater or a site in texas
Stillwater may not be hosting. In the most recent PG projection, they were a 3 seed. I know they swept Kansas this week, but their RPI is 53, and their SOS is 139. I don't care what their overall record is, if Arkansas is a 3 seed with a SOS of 45 and RPI of 50, then OK State shouldn't be projected to host with a worse number in each category, and just a few wins/loss difference.

Although, like usual, the committee will pick and choose when it is important to use SOS and RPI and when it isn't.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on April 21, 2014, 08:31:10 am
Stillwater may not be hosting. In the most recent PG projection, they were a 3 seed. I know they swept Kansas this week, but their RPI is 53, and their SOS is 139. I don't care what their overall record is, if Arkansas is a 3 seed with a SOS of 45 and RPI of 50, then OK State shouldn't be projected to host with a worse number in each category, and just a few wins/loss difference.

Although, like usual, the committee will pick and choose when it is important to use SOS and RPI and when it isn't.

I think the "committee" always tries to punish us for our weak non-con home schedule, using whichever  category they choose. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but it sure seems like our comparable record to others is always judged more harshly.

Kevin

Quote from: jry04 on April 21, 2014, 08:31:10 am

if they win the big 12, hard not to have them host.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on April 21, 2014, 10:01:43 am
if they win the big 12, hard not to have them host.
I agree, but that will be a difficult task. They have Texas, Kansas State, and OU left on their conference schedule. They also have a pretty difficult series with Arizona State.

dotnet

Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2014, 09:24:38 am
I think the "committee" always tries to punish us for our weak non-con home schedule, using whichever  category they choose. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but it sure seems like our comparable record to others is always judged more harshly.

Yeah, I agree.  Other SEC schools have similar schedules (win or lose) and yet Arkansas always seems to be penalized more.  Maybe Arkansas should play more "neutral" site games like LSU does, an hour away. 

Put it into perspective -

UH
Top 1-50:     3-6
Top 51-100:  13-2
Total top 100:  16-8

Arkansas
Top 1-50:     10-10
Top 51-100:  1-3
Total top 100:  11-13

Regardless of the won/loss record, why is Arkansas SOS a 5 and Arkansas is 45?  It makes no sense.  They have played the exact same number of games against the top 100.. but it isn't even close for top 50.  No way you can say UH has a harder schedule.

From a math stand point - UH gets points because they have played 4 top 50 games on netrual sites or away... and all of those have been within the city limits of Houston.  Its frustrating.

Kevin

Quote from: jry04 on April 21, 2014, 11:06:59 am
I agree, but that will be a difficult task. They have Texas, Kansas State, and OU left on their conference schedule. They also have a pretty difficult series with Arizona State.
kansas state is last in the league, and texas just got swept by tcu

bighog2255

Quote from: dotnet on April 21, 2014, 11:46:28 am

Regardless of the won/loss record, why is Arkansas SOS a 5 and Arkansas is 45?

5 games against teams around the 300 mark would be my guess. Houston has played 2 games against teams 150+. We have played 13!

Baseball Hog

Sos is flawed.  Bad.  We discuss this every year.

There needs to be a "floor".  An RPI 150 team and an RPI 300 team should effect a top 75 RPI team equally.  There isn't any comparative difference in those teams, yet one barely hurts your RPI, one kills it.

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on April 21, 2014, 11:56:10 am
kansas state is last in the league, and texas just got swept by tcu
Ok? Because Texas got swept they aren't a good team? It is @ Texas, and they are 30-11 with a RPI of 7 and SOS of 10. They are 11-6 vs the top 50. You are right though, playing @ Texas isn't going to be difficult.

Oklahoma State lost 2 of 3 to both Baylor and SD. Texas is better than both of them.

popcornhog

Quote from: lchog on April 20, 2014, 07:55:40 pm
We need to sweep Auburn!
We need to take 2 of 3 from ATM and Missouri.
We need to win 1 at Ole Miss and stealing a 2nd would be huge!

That scenario would leave us with a conference record of 17 - 13 and I think that would get us a 2 seed.

If we win 4/5 series , including a sweep, to close the season and finish with 17+ SEC wins how would we not be a lock? We're already back in the top 25. If everything in the OP happened we could finish in the top 10.

Maybe you're right, I just don't see it.
WPS