Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Caucasian basketball players in Arkansas

Started by Dudeman, April 20, 2014, 06:27:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Are there just not very many talented white basketball players in Arkansas? Seems odd to me. Not trying to start any race crap either so don't even go there. Seriously though, isn't it just a little bit odd to any of you? I wonder what the roster would look like if Mike Krzyzewski or Bill Self were the Head coach at Arkansas.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

Beaverfever

I've thought about it too honestly.  Despite common misconception it's not like white people are incapable of playing basketball.  When you watch the tournament you see plenty.  Yet Arkansas basically never produces great white players.  Matt Jones would've been one but he chose football.  Who was the last besides him?

Beaverfever

Not the kind of conversation Hogville wants I guess. 

Dudeman

LL COOL HOG

Dusty Hannahs will be on the hill just for you.

tophawg19

We need our white boy who can shoot . Nolan always had one , Bradley , rimac , Linn , . That was the true secret to Nolan's success . He could always bring in his double secret weapon white boy .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 20, 2014, 06:57:12 am
We need our white boy who can shoot . Nolan always had one , Bradley , rimac , Linn , . That was the true secret to Nolan's success . He could always bring in his double secret weapon white boy .

LOL, but it's true. :)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 20, 2014, 06:57:12 am

I don't know cause you see several from Arkansas signing over on FF but none to the Hogs in a while.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dudeman

I think there is a bias for the African American in basketball. While it is true that African Americans on average are more talented at basketball, it just seems strange that more caucasians aren't being sought after. I looked up the demographics for Arkansas and I think it was 82% caucasian and 15% African American. So, a little under 3 million people in the state and 82% would be a bit more than 2 million caucasians. For the United States it's 72% caucasian and 12% African American. Such a huge group producing so little talent. So, my point is that I think it is very well possible that there is a little bias for blacks/against whites in basketball.

DeltaBoy

White boys are not playing as much Basketball as they did years ago.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

bplease

It started with the parents. IE. You people.
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

DeltaBoy

MTBrookHog

Back in the day, everybody played all sports. Today, it is more specialized. During the summer you have 7 on 7 in football and AAU in basketball.

DeltaBoy

Too many rich folks got video games to play now days too.

Wildhog

I was the next great white hope, but I chose golf.

Mad handles.

:)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LL COOL HOG

You guys are having a discussion about the lack of white bb players. Now bb is so low on the list of what's important in life.  White ppl don't have to worry about the high # of whites in prison.  Corporate board rooms are over flowing with my White homies.

Torqued pork

April 23, 2014, 11:49:44 am #16 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:51:14 pm by Torqued pork
We probably should start a H-O-R-S-E league for all of the unathletic types whose game consist of nothing but hitting 30 foot unguarded set-shots.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 22, 2014, 09:44:03 am
White boys are not playing as much Basketball as they did years ago.

Thats right, they are going to be Doctors and Lawyers and stuff.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

bplease

Quote from: DewUar88 on April 23, 2014, 12:05:48 pm
Thats not really true either..
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

DeltaBoy

Cedar Ridge won the state 2A Basketball Title again this year and they are almost an all white team.

Hogfaniam

Div II is loaded with white boys playing...and studying to be doctors and lawyers and stuff
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

DeltaBoy

We have tons based on the team pictures I see at FF so why are they not going to D1 schools is beyond me.

Wildhog

Quote from: bigrod155 on April 23, 2014, 11:12:28 am
You guys are having a discussion about the lack of white bb players. Now bb is so low on the list of what's important in life.  White ppl don't have to worry about the high # of whites in prison.  Corporate board rooms are over flowing with my White homies.

werd
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

yraciv

I don't know how this got classified to vent'n rumors, but I actually think this is a valid thread.  Obviously basketball is a heavily African American influenced sport, but just out of sheer numbers you would think a SEC caliber white guy would come out of the state.  I've followed AR basketball for a while and I just can't think of many that would thrive in the SEC. Obviously Matt Jones could have and it could be argued that Michael Sanchez was a decent enough player, but after that I can't really think of any.  Rakestraw had hope but faltered, and I can name a handful that have contributed to midmajor teams recently, but none have had much impact.  Hopefully Hannahs is the answer, and there is another good one coming up in Lawson Korita at PA who I think could be the next great white hope for our state. 

Another thought is our style of play really isn't that ideal for white players.  Hannahs is a pretty good example of a guy we thought didn't fit our style of play coming out of high school.

goodguytex

I honestly don't care what race of player we get to play for the Hogs as long as the ones we get help us win championships. That's all that matters. What difference does it make if one or zero players coming out of Arkansas are white?

Dudeman

I'm not one bit worried about the race of any player either. I've enjoyed watching Arkansas basketball through the years and I think the program is headed in the right direction. Glad to have Mike Anderson back on the sideline. It's just an observation that I'm curious about.

DeltaBoy

They are there but the best Athletes are playing Football , Baseball and other things like Tennis .

rusvegashog

Best white player to come out of Arkansas that I know of didn't even get a sniff from the U of A, so he went to Ole Miss and promptly whipped our tails.

PonderinHog

Because their mommas wouldn't let them grow up to be cowboys.