Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MA make or break year

Started by bruisemeister, April 20, 2014, 03:35:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bruisemeister

Back in the early part of this century, the state of Oklahoma had 5 big time recruits that Arkansas was looking at. The top name was Sheldon Williams. They were also looking at Deron Williams out of THE COLONY area near Dallas. A central Arkansas radio host predicted that recruiting class will make or break the remaining career at Arkansas for Nolan Richardson. Well, Sheldon went to Duke and Deron went to Illinois. The remaining Oklahoma blue chippers went elsewhere as well. True to the hosts words, Nolan was soon let go at Arkansas.

My question is will the upcoming class with Kevaughn Allen or the 2016 class led by Malik Monk be Mike Anderson's make or break class?

One additional question. Could Malik Monk be to Mike Anderson what Eric Mitchell was to Lou Holtz?

The real Hogules

"IF" CMA and staff miss on these guys it will depend on how good the players he gets instead of them is as to whether his days will be numbered or not.

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HOGINTENNESSEE

If Nolan Richardson hadn't basically asked to be fired at a Press Conference he wouldn't have been let go.

bruisemeister

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 20, 2014, 05:10:41 am
If Nolan Richardson hadn't basically asked to be fired at a Press Conference he wouldn't have been let go.

Maybe or maybe not. I think Nolan said that because he knew that his firing was being discussed. Thats why he said he is entitled to one bad year. He would not have been saying that if he felt his job was safe. That comment would have been easily overlooked had he been bringing in blue chip recruits.

The_Bionic_Pig

Your assuming Andre Igudola wouldn't have made a major impact if he hadn't requested to be fired.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

orgkeith

Holtz was long gone by the time Eric Mitchell, James Rouse and Freddie Childress were seniors.  Holtz got fired while trying to recruit Keith Jackson, Mark Hudson and the Williams kid from Pine Bluff.  Hatfield lost them all in the transition.

poloprince

He will get the opportunity to fulfill the 5 year deal he signed.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Ironhawg

Quote from: poloprince on April 20, 2014, 09:52:57 am

I agree with this.  I firmly believe MA will get at least five years and that he will make Arkansas competitive again.  What I do believe Allen and Monk will tell us about MA is whether he and his staff can recruit well enough to bring Arkansas back to being mentioned among the elite of college basketball. 

Boston RedHogs

^^This

ldfergu

I think we are in it for the long haul with CMA.  Our basketball program needs continuity, not another restart.  It may take awhile to get the results we all want but I just can't see CMA ever getting fired with our current administration...

FineAsSwine

If we play at a high level, win big and have success in the big dance, MA will be secure no matter who we signed out of Arkansas.

passinghog

How do you try to compare missing out on out of state recruits to that of the possibility of missing out on in state recruits? Come with a better comparison. Neither were like an Othella Harrington, who we were a serious contender for. Not to mention the University of Texas...OU....Oklahoma State University...I'm pretty sure they missed out on these guys too and they were actually from their state.

Jek Tono Porkins

One of the most interesting things about the Arkansas fanbase is the way they think that Nolan was in the prime of his career when he was fired. He was 60 years old and hadn't been past the second round of the tournament in six years. Probably, the reason highly-ranked recruits didn't want to play for him is because they could tell he was flaming out.

When you start proving that you can win, you'll get better recruits. A program in decline doesn't get good recruits.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

gmarv

next year is the year of the hog,we will have a better year
the close losses we had this year hopefuly will be close wins.
getting us more than 25 wins and a deep run in the tourament.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: gmarv on April 20, 2014, 03:41:19 pm
next year is the year of the hog,we will have a better year
the close losses we had this year hopefuly will be close wins.
getting us more than 25 wins and a deep run in the tourament.

I can see this being a description of next season.

I think Nolan was right when he recently said that CMA is no longer players away, he's plays away.

We're getting closer and I feel good about the direction of the program.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on April 20, 2014, 04:14:30 pm

I can see this being a description of next season.

I think Nolan was right when he recently said that CMA is no longer players away, he's plays away.

We're getting closer and I feel good about the direction of the program.

Were gonna be freakin awesome next year haha can't wait.

Big Boi

We have a great year if Madden makes 1st team All-SEC.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: bruisemeister on April 20, 2014, 03:35:44 am
Back in the early part of this century, the state of Oklahoma had 5 big time recruits that Arkansas was looking at. The top name was Sheldon Williams. They were also looking at Deron Williams out of THE COLONY area near Dallas. A central Arkansas radio host predicted that recruiting class will make or break the remaining career at Arkansas for Nolan Richardson. Well, Sheldon went to Duke and Deron went to Illinois. The remaining Oklahoma blue chippers went elsewhere as well. True to the hosts words, Nolan was soon let go at Arkansas.
It
My question is will the upcoming class with Kevaughn Allen or the 2016 class led by Malik Monk be Mike Anderson's make or break class?

One additional question. Could Malik Monk be to Mike Anderson what Eric Mitchell was to Lou Holtz?

What a wonderful post. WONDERFUL. On opposite day.

GuvHog

I believe this is true unless this years team totally and Completely collapses on him but I don't see that coming close to happening.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Granny

Quote from: bruisemeister on April 20, 2014, 03:35:44 am

If Coach Anderson misses out on Allen and monk I sure hope we don't make the same mistake twice.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Granny on April 20, 2014, 09:00:59 pm
If Coach Anderson misses out on Allen and monk I sure hope we don't make the same mistake twice.

What of they are filled with McClure, Whitt, Moore, and my mind just went blank on the other name being mentioned often with seemingly close ties.

Seebs

With the instate talent on the horizon, you do not want to upset the apple cart and start anew with those in-state relationships. I hope Mike is here a good long while and leaves on his terms.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on April 20, 2014, 08:28:00 pm
I believe this is true unless this years team totally and Completely collapses on him but I don't see that coming close to happening.

Did you forget about Alabama and South Carolina to end the season along with the Cal game?

donkey

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 21, 2014, 10:17:20 am
Did you forget about Alabama and South Carolina to end the season along with the Cal game?

That's not really a collapse.  They had a bad game against Alabama for sure, didn't shoot well against a USCe team that was playing well, and played bad again at Cal.  But losing 3 of the last 4 still doesn't qualify as a collapse.  Especially given the fact that they won 8 of their final 10 regular season games. 

A collapse is what happened in MA's first year here and virtually every year Pel was here.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 21, 2014, 10:17:20 am

I think he's really more saying if we have a losing season or something like that.