Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrimmage Today?

Started by Dwyane Wade, April 19, 2014, 10:54:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwyane Wade

SIAP but, wasn't there a scrimmage today? Anyone have any details?

arkansasrazorback

It was a closed scrimmage but I do think Bielema met with the media

Dwyane Wade

I get so impatient around this time of year, I'm craving football. Thanks for the info.

OnTheHillHogFan

The media was able to watch the scrimmage I believe. CBB's PC is on www.wholehogsports.com
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Wildhog

It ended on a BA pick six.  Surprise.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on April 20, 2014, 08:54:35 am

Funny I thought scrimmages ended with the 2s and 3s which means BA was not on the field. On Easter Sunday you should be showing some love to BA.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 20, 2014, 08:54:35 am

I thought I read long return, I must have missed "pick six"?

Wildhog

I read a different practice report.  It said pick six.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 20, 2014, 10:26:11 am
I read a different practice report.  It said pick six.

Blew the whistle, so it didn't count??

Prestworthy

Where can I read a report on the scrimmage?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 20, 2014, 01:47:40 pm
Where can I read a report on the scrimmage?

Maybe if you checked the board and scrolled down?
Go Hogs Go!

Prestworthy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 20, 2014, 01:52:32 pm
Maybe if you checked the board and scrolled down?
maybe you could help me find it like a good mod?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 20, 2014, 02:04:04 pm

Hey Muskogee! I'll take a coke and nachos while you are at it.  :D

In my opinion you have three responses to Presty's demand. 1) Get him his practice report 2) ignore him 3) ban him.

I think you should go for #3.   ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on April 20, 2014, 02:42:49 pm
Hey Muskogee! I'll take a coke and nachos while you are at it.  :D

In my opinion you have three responses to Presty's demand. 1) Get him his practice report 2) ignore him 3) ban him.

I think you should go for #3.   ;)
that makes two posters who have disregarded a simple question with negative remarks. And locus why do you seem to always pop in after my post? Crush?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 20, 2014, 02:04:04 pm
My complete Sunday report on Saturday's practice (with video) is not finished. It will be stickied later. Here's the written version.
-----------------------
A.J. Derby came down just short of the goal line but head coach Bret Bielema ruled his one-handed catch from Austin Allen a touchdown to end the Saturday practice which also marked the conclusion of week four of Razorback spring football. The play, which came against the number one defense, was clearly Allen's biggest moment of the spring.

"It was good to see Austin have some success in the two-minute part," Bielema noted. "B.A. (starting quarterback Brandon Allen) didn't have success in the two-minute segment there at the end but during the course of practice he threw some very good, accurate balls."

Brandon Allen finished the practice 16 of 24 passing for 178 yards, a touchdown and a pick. Austin Allen ended of 9 of 15 for 117 yards with a touchdown and a pick.

Derby actually came up with a couple of one-handed grabs, the first one in a 7 on 7 series earlier in the practice. Bielema called Derby's transition from quarterback to tight end, "seamless," while touting his pass catching and blocking abilities.

"It's amazing to me how well he catches the ball," Bielema raved. "It just absolutely blows my mind because that's not an easy thing to run full speed in traffic and catch it. But what he does in the running game, his wraps, his inside out, his pulls, his pass protection has literally changed our offense overnight."

The other quarterback making a position change in the spring also came up with a big catch. Damon "Duwop" Mitchell snagged a 21 yard pass from Austin Allen during the scrimmaging part of the practice. However, Bielema had revealed a week ago that Mitchell was not totally on board with idea of changing positions.

Saturday he indicated that some progress had been made with Mitchell on that issue, telling reporters, "I think it's getting better for him. I'm not saying he's doing cartwheels around the hallway quite yet but I think he realizes that he might be able to capitalize on that position and be good at it."

Sophomore-to-be running back Korliss Marshall was back at practice after being sidelined for a couple of weeks due to an undisclosed medical issue. Marshall quickly made up for lost time showing his speed on a couple of flashy carries.

"Korliss jumped back in on Tuesday," Bielema explained. "Tuesday was a freak show. He had a couple of runs that were off the charts. The thing I think about all the time, he's a kid that was offered really by one major school. That was us. The impact he's going to have not only this next year but in years ahead, he's an exceptional football player."

Week five of Arkansas spring football will conclude with the annual Red-White game. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. at Reynolds Razorback Stadium.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 20, 2014, 05:23:09 pm
My complete Sunday report on Saturday's practice (with video) is not finished. It will be stickied later. Here's the written version.
-----------------------
A.J. Derby came down just short of the goal line but head coach Bret Bielema ruled his one-handed catch from Austin Allen a touchdown to end the Saturday practice which also marked the conclusion of week four of Razorback spring football. The play, which came against the number one defense, was clearly Allen's biggest moment of the spring.
T
"It was good to see Austin have some success in the two-minute part," Bielema noted. "B.A. (starting quarterback Brandon Allen) didn't have success in the two-minute segment there at the end but during the course of practice he threw some very good, accurate balls."

Brandon Allen finished the practice 16 of 24 passing for 178 yards, a touchdown and a pick. Austin Allen ended of 9 of 15 for 117 yards with a touchdown and a pick.

Derby actually came up with a couple of one-handed grabs, the first one in a 7 on 7 series earlier in the practice. Bielema called Derby's transition from quarterback to tight end, "seamless," while touting his pass catching and blocking abilities.

"It's amazing to me how well he catches the ball," Bielema raved. "It just absolutely blows my mind because that's not an easy thing to run full speed in traffic and catch it. But what he does in the running game, his wraps, his inside out, his pulls, his pass protection has literally changed our offense overnight."

The other quarterback making a position change in the spring also came up with a big catch. Damon "Duwop" Mitchell snagged a 21 yard pass from Austin Allen during the scrimmaging part of the practice. However, Bielema had revealed a week ago that Mitchell was not totally on board with idea of changing positions.

Saturday he indicated that some progress had been made with Mitchell on that issue, telling reporters, "I think it's getting better for him. I'm not saying he's doing cartwheels around the hallway quite yet but I think he realizes that he might be able to capitalize on that position and be good at it."

Sophomore-to-be running back Korliss Marshall was back at practice after being sidelined for a couple of weeks due to an undisclosed medical issue. Marshall quickly made up for lost time showing his speed on a couple of flashy carries.

"Korliss jumped back in on Tuesday," Bielema explained. "Tuesday was a freak show. He had a couple of runs that were off the charts. The thing I think about all the time, he's a kid that was offered really by one major school. That was us. The impact he's going to have not only this next year but in years ahead, he's an exceptional football player."

Week five of Arkansas spring football will conclude with the annual Red-White game. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. at Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
thanks Mike

rzrbackramsfan

I think it would be interesting to ask bb if they ever hesitated in offering kirkos after seeing his video and why more schools wouldn't offer? I think once most people saw his video on hogville they knew this was a playmaker and a guy we should offer.

rzrbackramsfan

Also I take it that peavey is out of the mix for #2?

Mike Irwin

For those of you who have been dogging Brandon Allen here's your opening. For the first time this spring he got challenged by one of the freshmen.

Danny J

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 20, 2014, 06:33:54 pm
For those of you who have been dogging Brandon Allen here's your opening. For the first time this spring he got challenged by one of the freshmen.
Good....we need a solid backup going forward.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 20, 2014, 05:17:19 pm
that makes two posters who have disregarded a simple question with negative remarks. And locus why do you seem to always pop in after my post? Crush?

Ah come on man you know I love ya!  :D

Carl Lazlo

-----------------------

Yup

lumphog

-----------------------

Mike, thanks for what you do for us on here. Happy Easter & God Bless. What's interesting to me is CBB's comment about Marshall's ability. I hope he takes note of the under rated Arkansas talent. It's what is going to make him a success here. I like HomeGrown Hogs.

rzrbackramsfan

I think everyone dogging ba is going to use auburn as our real opening and hope not to have an opening.

Carl Lazlo

Did Peavey get a chance to make any plays?

Prestworthy

what do you mean Mike? Challenged by his brother?

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 20, 2014, 09:56:54 pm
what do you mean Mike? Challenged by his brother?

Apparently.  Peavey probably only got 5 or 6 pass plays. Wouldn't be surprised if they were all completions.

Prestworthy

Quote from: footballmaniac on April 20, 2014, 10:05:52 pm
Apparently.  Peavey probably only got 5 or 6 pass plays. Wouldn't be surprised if they were all completions.
sorry still confused. Which freshman is challenging him?

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 20, 2014, 10:13:23 pm

He's gonna say lil Allen dude come on

Prestworthy

Quote from: footballmaniac on April 20, 2014, 10:22:12 pm
He's gonna say lil Allen dude come on
did anyone read how Peavey did? And it appears BA is still throwing interceptions vs a defense that is near the bottom of the SEC

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: footballmaniac on April 20, 2014, 10:05:52 pm
Boom.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 20, 2014, 10:30:22 pm
did anyone read how Peavey did? And it appears BA is still throwing interceptions vs a defense that is near the bottom of the SEC

He threw one pick, does not say details.  What if it was a pass on the money and the receiver bobbled or tipped it?  Austin will challenge Brandon simply because he's a slightly bit more talented just younger and been around a little less.  Same with peavy but it will take him a year or so to catch up to speed. 

Peavy is probably going to be red shirted baring injury to either Allen's or just going into beast mode.

rzrbackramsfan

Thanks for the update do you now about his yards/ completion percentage?  Also do qbs ever run in these scrimmages?  I'm surprised I haven't heard about peavey taking off yet.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 20, 2014, 10:13:23 pm
Sorry. I assumed that since Austin Allen is featured prominently in the story and Peavey is not mentioned it was obvious which freshman challenged Brandon Allen.

As for the (almost) TD to Peavey it was indeed the biggest moment for either freshman QB this spring because in a two minute drill Austin Allen took the offense 79 yards and he did it against the top defense. Brandon, going up against the two's, failed to move the sticks although as Bielema noted afterward it wasn't his fault. A couple of receivers (one of them Jared Cornelius) dropped first down passes that hit them in the hands.

Overall Brandon still had better numbers than Austin and except for the two minute segment he did a much better job of converting 3rd downs than Austin.

Peavey was almost a non factor. He completed the only pass he threw for 15 yards. He was later (whistle) sacked.

All three QBs do occasionally take off and run but it is discouraged and mostly it is pointless in non tackling situations. I have not noticed Peavey being a better runner than BA or AA but the spring is not a time judge that.

I was encouraged by what I saw because it was the first time one of the backup QBs took charge in an important drill and made things happen.

A major goal of this spring IMO is to have a better alternative this fall if BA were to again be injured. I see some signs that AA is developing. He needs to keep it up.

gmarv

good reporting thanks mike

acey33