Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Lowe on turnovers

Started by jabohog, April 19, 2014, 07:59:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jabohog

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec
With all the talk about Brandon Allen, I thought this and other mistakes (penalties, etc.) cost us more games than the passing game. I know his performance included some of this, but let's say Brandon is fixed but we keep doing these kind of things, do we win more games? I don't think so, but that's just me.

Prestworthy

Wow last in turnover margin for the last 3 seasons and it's not close.

Ugly Uncle

The shocking number to me is how few turnovers we forced.  Not really shocked, because it was noticeable while it happened, but our defense has been HORRIBLE at forcing turnovers.
Retired Radio Host

Fayettechill14

By year:

2011: +1
2012: -19
2013: -9

If we can just go even this year I think we can win 5-6 games on that alone. It really is worth that much.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 19, 2014, 10:42:27 pm
By year:

If we can just go even this year I think we can win 5-6 games on that alone. It really is worth that much.

Luckily turnovers are very dependent on luck. We can probably expect some regression to the mean with turnover margin.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MuskogeeHogFan

April 21, 2014, 04:34:23 pm #5 Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:16:50 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: jabohog on April 19, 2014, 07:59:32 pm
With all the talk about Brandon Allen, I thought this and other mistakes (penalties, etc.) cost us more games than the passing game. I know his performance included some of this, but let's say Brandon is fixed but we keep doing these kind of things, do we win more games? I don't think so, but that's just me.

Ironically enough, given opportunities for T/O's (and not all can be attributed to Allen last season), our offense committed fewer T/O's per play than we did in 2012 when TW was at QB. Yes, you heard me right.

In 2012 we committed 1 T/O for every 26.6 offensive plays that we ran.

In 2013 we committed 1 T/O for every 33.7 offensive plays that we ran.

Not taking sides in any way here or trying to take up for Allen, just stating the facts.

Not only that, but our defense in 2012 created 1 T/O for every 71.6 plays that our opponents ran, while in 2013 our defense created 1 T/O for every 58.1 plays that our opponents ran.

All that being said, since 2001 when we have had a positive T/O Ratio we averaged giving up 21 T/O's and averaged creating 29 against our opponents per season, a +7 difference on an average of 13 games per season (a 9-4 average). A +.59 T/O Ratio average.

When we have had a negative T/O Ratio we have averaged giving up 24 T/O's and averaged creating only 17 T/O's against our opponents per season, a -7 difference on an average of 12 games per season (6-6 average). A -.60 T/O Ratio average.

In 2013 we had a net -9 or a -.80 T/O Ratio, giving up 23 and only gaining 14.

I think we were closer to at least a 6 win season last year than anyone realizes, but it was just the timing of the T/O's, like Collins fumble near the Miss State goal line or Allen's pick 6's at key moments that knocked the skids out (and the momentum) from underneath the team.

And keep in mind that this was only in Bielema's first year. I think that we will be far better this year in terms of wins and losses than we were last year, provided that we improve on our T/O Ratio and don't give up T/O's in key situations.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Adam Stokes

Beilema was doing nothing but preaching that we need to make sure that we "don't beat ourselves."  He had a good record with that at Wisconsin and I think we will slowly see Arkansas get to that level.

WizardofhOgZ

By the way, here is the link to the specific article, so you don't have to scroll down and look for it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/82099/ball-security-in-the-sec

ricepig

I prefer apple, but will eat peach. The reason we don't force many, is because we weren't in the picture when the pass was completed. We did a pretty decent job of stripping the QB when we got a sufficient pass rush.

ChitownHawg

Coach Smith seem to indicate they are placing more emphasis on creating turnovers. I think beyond losing the possession you have a huge swing in "mo". Our guys never seem to quit, but they sure could have used something to get excited about. Take the Conley hit that ended practice. My understand was the defense was going crazy.

Being in Chicago I have seen a lot of the Bears the last few years. No one ever accused them of being an offensive dynamo, but they succeeded due to their multi turnover games.

Our coaches know this and I expect us to continue to climb the chart.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 21, 2014, 04:34:23 pm
Ironically enough, given opportunities for T/O's (and not all can be attributed to Allen last season), our offense committed fewer T/O's per play than we did in 2012 when TW was at QB. Yes, you heard me right.

Not taking sides in any way here or trying to take up for Allen, just stating the facts.

Not only that, but our defense in 2012 created 1 T/O for every 71.6 plays that our opponents ran, while in 2013 our defense created 1 T/O for every 58.1 plays that our opponents ran.

All that being said, since 2001 when we have had a positive T/O Ratio we averaged giving up 21 T/O's and averaged creating 29 against our opponents per season, a +7 difference on an average of 13 games per season (a 9-4 average). A +.59 T/O Ratio average.

When we have had a negative T/O Ratio we have averaged giving up 24 T/O's and averaged creating only 17 T/O's against our opponents per season, a -7 difference on an average of 12 games per season (6-6 average). A -.60 T/O Ratio average.

I think we were closer to at least a 6 win season last year than anyone realizes, but it was just the timing of the T/O's, like Collins fumble near the Miss State goal line or Allen's pick 6's at key moments that knocked the skids out (and the momentum) from underneath the team.

And keep in mind that this was only in Bielema's first year. I think that we will be far better this year in terms of wins and losses than we were last year, provided that we improve on our T/O Ratio and don't give up T/O's in key situations.

JMO

Good point. Two turnovers in the 1st Q are much different than in the 4th when you are coming from behind or trying to hold a lead.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: locusbug on April 21, 2014, 05:34:42 pm
Good point. Two turnovers in the 1st Q are much different than in the 4th when you are coming from behind or trying to hold a lead.

That's true, but you can't afford to give up 2 T/O's in the first quarter either, that tends to put you behind the 8-ball and make you play catch-up all game long.
Go Hogs Go!

Oklahawg

Turnovers are directly related to the ability needed to produce them. If the DBs are too slow to be able to play in-your-face man defense they will not get a lot of INTs.

Offensive TOs matter, of course, but there is no way to predict that the 2012 or 2013 defense would have been able to "hold serve" if you don't commit turnovers. Defensive TOs avoid scores at some point. That is huge.

TOs might not have gotten us bowl eligible but toss in speed issues in the return game and we might have been 6-6.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 21, 2014, 05:49:15 pm
Turnovers are directly related to the ability needed to produce them. If the DBs are too slow to be able to play in-your-face man defense they will not get a lot of INTs.

Offensive TOs matter, of course, but there is no way to predict that the 2012 or 2013 defense would have been able to "hold serve" if you don't commit turnovers. Defensive TOs avoid scores at some point. That is huge.

TOs might not have gotten us bowl eligible but toss in speed issues in the return game and we might have been 6-6.

But as mentioned above, our offense and defense were better per play ran on average, or defended against, than the 2012 team. Our big problem seemed to be the timing of the T/O's that seemed to occur at key junctures in the most important games (I know, they were all important) that might have turned the tide of momentum in our favor at key moments.

Instead, they worked against the collective "psyche" or mental toughness of the team in those games. We were young, we are still pretty much young, but I believe that this team has learned and grown from what they experienced last year and with a more aggressive, play-making approach, I think the defense might provide the added edge to get us over the top between being unsuccessful and successful. Time will tell.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 21, 2014, 05:40:40 pm
That's true, but you can't afford to give up 2 T/O's in the first quarter either, that tends to put you behind the 8-ball and make you play catch-up all game long.

Muskogee, understood. I was more trying to make the point the timing of the turnover can possibly be more important than the number of turnovers.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 21, 2014, 05:58:58 pm
But as mentioned above, our offense and defense were better per play ran on average, or defended against, than the 2012 team. Our big problem seemed to be the timing of the T/O's that seemed to occur at key junctures in the most important games (I know, they were all important) that might have turned the tide of momentum in our favor at key moments.

Instead, they worked against the collective "psyche" or mental toughness of the team in those games. We were young, we are still pretty much young, but I believe that this team has learned and grown from what they experienced last year and with a more aggressive, play-making approach, I think the defense might provide the added edge to get us over the top between being unsuccessful and successful. Time will tell.

My points exactly. More eloquently stated though.  ;)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: locusbug on April 21, 2014, 06:02:09 pm
Muskogee, understood. I was more trying to make the point the timing of the turnover can possibly be more important than the number of turnovers.

I agree, but I think that both the number of T/O's and the timing of those are equally important. If you go all game long and never have a T/O and you get down to the last 6 minutes of the 4th Qtr and you are 3 points down on your opponent, but you start a drive from your own 20 and drive to their 30 and then fumble the ball away or throw a pick on their 15, you are screwed and the wind is taken out of your sails.

I agree that it would have been preferable to have sustained the T/O early, but point is, whenever it comes it is damaging. Early T/O's can potentially put you down by 14 and force you fight back. Second half T/O's can crush the spirit of a team, particularly if they are competing at the time (see last years A&M game).
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

JMO

I think timing of the turnovers does make a big difference, as well as where they occur on the field.  Heck...I remember one year under HDN where it seemed like we turned it over on a kick return or a muffed punt once a HALF!  That's just like giving the opposition 50+ yards of field position for free, with a free trip to the red zone. 

I completely agree that last season, there was a lot of contributing factors to the turnover issues.  Experience plays a part in that, and while we always talk about "blue chip" athletes, when you're realistically talking about a team that is primarily constructed of 3 star players that are thrust right into action, it's a recipe for disaster.  They get excited, and are in the process of thinking about the big picture, and they forget the simple things like ball security.  Oops.

These stats do tell a compelling story though.  We have to do better with the turnover margin, and I don't see how anyone can refute that it has had a detrimental effect on the last two seasons.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Smokehouse on April 19, 2014, 11:07:47 pm
Luckily turnovers are very dependent on luck. We can probably expect some regression to the mean with turnover margin.

Tell that to the Honey Badger... He was a NYC foozbawl pick pocket..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ChitownHawg

April 21, 2014, 06:20:18 pm #19 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:27:26 am by locusbug

Peanut Tillman creates turnovers. He simply looks to strip the ball every time he tackles someone. No luck there.

Defenses practices takeaways. Where the ball bounces once it hits the ground is luck - good takeaway defenses creating the turnover is skill.

urkillnmesmalls

We'll never win the turnover battle, if we don't create any. 

Signed,

Captain Obvious

It's right up there with never winning any baseball games if you don't score any runs. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 21, 2014, 06:31:45 pm
We'll never win the turnover battle, if we don't create any. 

Signed,

Captain Obvious

It's right up there with never winning any baseball games if you don't score any runs.

Not sure who you are talking to but that kind of is my point. Luck has little to do with turnovers - they are created. I had to say so due to someone else chalking them up to luck.

But Captain Obvious is a childhood hero of mine!  ;)

LZH

We attempted 158 more passes in 2012 than we did in 2013, but had only 5 more INT's.  I don't know the numbers, but I'd guess that many more turnovers are a result of INT's than fumbles....which fits BB's run-heavy offensive strategies quite well.  Actually, I think it was you MHF that posted on here about five or six years ago how the turnover ratio was the true "Secret", football's law of attraction or the God number, etc.  I don't remember the figure, but whoever wins the TO battle wins an incredibly high percentage of games.

I may not care much for BB, but his brand of football will do well in this conference if he gets some more good football players in here.

Smokehouse

Quote from: locusbug on April 21, 2014, 06:20:18 pm
Peanut Tillman creates turnovers. The simply looks t strip the ball every time he tackles someone. No luck there.

Defenses practices takeaways. Where the ball bounces once it hits the ground is luck - good takeaway defenses creating the turnover is skill.

That bounce is more important than you think. Yes, some defenses will be better at forcing turnovers than others. That's not what I'm saying. It's just that the +/- of a defense is not that extreme in the long run. The Saints were something like +15 the season they won the Super Bowl, fell to +6 or so the next season. Still a good defense with elite players, just hard to consistently get (or lose) big numbers of turnovers.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

kchogfan14

Luck? Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it!

A defense MAKES turnovers with pressure on the QB, tight coverage, hitting the receivers and the running backs with a desire to create turnovers. Luck only has to do with the bounce of the ball AFTER it is fumbled!

Oklahawg

To echo MHF (and others) on the notion of emotional response and timing...

...the late 70s OU Sooners had as much swagger as any team I've ever watched. I liked them, else I would have hated them just as much as the late 80s Miami teams.

OU rushed for over 5000 yards in 1978. The real story? The defense had 28 INTs and 50 forced turnovers, roughly 2.5 and 4.0 per game. In 1980, OU had five fumbles vs Nebraska (lost 2). The 1978 team was #1 when they lost at NU 17-14, recording 9 fumbles (losing six).  The only fumble that mattered, though, was on the last drive when OU was (predictably) driving down the field, ready to pull out their "Sooner Magic" that Switzer always bragged about: Billy Sims fumbled on the 3-yard line with 3:27 left in the game. Ouch.

They had the swagger. Turnovers were something that did not affect them. Even nine in a game. To the then #4 team in the country. At that team's home field (in the midst of a 300-game home sellout streak). Well, they affected them when the last one happens 3 yards from the EZ (and a likely win) with 3:27 to go.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogFanatic

Chris Lowe strikes again. Captain Obvious says, "if your team's turnover ratio is in the plus column, they will be more successful than if it were in the negative."

And no, turnovers are not "luck". Not in any sport. The offense practices taking care of the ball, the defense practices taking it away. Look at hogs basketball. They force gobs of turnovers. They do it with pressure defense and they jump passing lanes. Same thing in football. You have to practice it and expect it as a defense. The football hogs haven't been good at it in awhile.

3kgthog

So, the things BB teams were supposed to be good at we are actually terrible at? Makes sense.

jkstock04

Quote from: HogFanatic on April 21, 2014, 10:04:19 pm
Chris Lowe strikes again. Captain Obvious says, "if your team's turnover ratio is in the plus column, they will be more successful than if it were in the negative."

And no, turnovers are not "luck". Not in any sport. The offense practices taking care of the ball, the defense practices taking it away. Look at hogs basketball. They force gobs of turnovers. They do it with pressure defense and they jump passing lanes. Same thing in football. You have to practice it and expect it as a defense. The football hogs haven't been good at it in awhile.
I agree with what you said about the turnovers...was actually thinking the same thing. No chance this turnover ratio stuff simply equates to luck.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 21, 2014, 10:33:16 pm
So, the things BB teams were supposed to be good at we are actually terrible at? Makes sense.

Look at the numbers. The year BEFORE CBB we were -19 and with him we were -9. That is a pretty good swing in the right direction. Nice logic there Einstein - did you even read the article or contemplate it? I guess haters will be haters no matter what.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: locusbug on April 21, 2014, 06:20:18 pm
Peanut Tillman creates turnovers. He simply looks to strip the ball every time he tackles someone. No luck there.

That's true and that was the reason for Collins fumble near MSU's goal line. Here's the video. 5:30 remaining at the Miss State 13 yard line.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10024277

And the big play before the fumble that got us to the MSU 13.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10024275
Go Hogs Go!

jkstock04

Quote from: locusbug on April 22, 2014, 04:33:19 am
Look at the numbers. The year BEFORE CBB we were -19 and with him we were -9. That is a pretty good swing in the right direction. Nice logic there Einstein - did you even read the article or contemplate it? I guess haters will be haters no matter what.
I read the article and did not see those stats. From what I read it showed the last three seasons combined. Guess I'm no Einstein either. Either that or maybe you didn't read it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DeltaBoy

Solid Tackling and Creating Turnovers will help Brandon Allen a ton.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

When you go several consecutive seasons with horrid defensive recruiting your defense is horrible.  When your lb's and db's cant tackle, and can't find the ball in the air, you don't get many turnovers, and that is what we have seen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 22, 2014, 07:53:07 am
I read the article and did not see those stats. From what I read it showed the last three seasons combined. Guess I'm no Einstein either. Either that or maybe you didn't read it.

Sorry I should have clarified that I was quoting from Fayettechill's post. See below. He is very solid with his research so I take his numbers as being correct.

And this wouldn't be the first thread on Hogville where people comment without reading the article. Plus just tired of people using every thread to take a shot at CBB.

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 19, 2014, 10:42:27 pm
By year:

ChitownHawg

Bumping this to the top to see if I can get others to discuss this. I am kind of bored with the uniform / logo topic.  :D

wholehog92

The lack of turnovers is directly related to the quality of our defense.  RBs are far more likely to give up the ball at the end of the run when a whole gang of guys is taking a shot at pulling the ball out than one guy struggling just to make the tackle.  You are far more likely to actually recover that fumble when you have 11 guys in the area of the fumble than you are with the one guy who made the tackle buried under the back and 5 free blockers looking for people to block standing around the ball.  You are far more likely to make an INT when your safety is within 1 yard of the catch than if he's not even in the picture.

In this league the offense is going to give up some turnovers with the level of defense we face.  The only way to even it out is to improve our overall defense.

Captain obvious strikes again of course.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Hawgon

There are turnovers and there are turnovers.  We were inordinately high in pick sixes and very long interception returns last year.  Five fumbles at the 40 probably don't hurt you as bad as one pick six does, never mind one in two or three games running.

hogsanity

Quote from: locusbug on April 22, 2014, 11:54:28 am
Bumping this to the top to see if I can get others to discuss this. I am kind of bored with the uniform / logo topic.  :D

wont get much action, requires talking defense, and most people here have no use for, or desire to talk about defense. They find it boring.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on April 22, 2014, 12:04:02 pm
There are turnovers and there are turnovers.  We were inordinately high in pick sixes and very long interception returns last year.  Five fumbles at the 40 probably don't hurt you as bad as one pick six does, never mind one in two or three games running.

So what you are saying is some turnovers are apple and some cherry?  ;D

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 22, 2014, 07:53:07 am

In 2012 we turned the ball over 31 times and only gained 12 T/O's. A net of -19.

In 2013 we turned the ball over 23 times and gained 14. A net of -9.

That's a net improvement by 10.

No one need be an "Einstein" to read recorded stats. Just sayin.

www.ncaa.org
Go Hogs Go!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: jabohog on April 19, 2014, 07:59:32 pm

Turnovers change momentum in the game

Music City Hog

This is what happens when your talent is waaaaay worse than your opponents talent on a week in and week out basis.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Music City Hog on April 22, 2014, 05:22:29 pm
This is what happens when your talent is waaaaay worse than your opponents talent on a week in and week out basis.

I'll disagree with that. Even lesser talent can exercise great ball control. Now in your QB that might be right because it depends a great deal upon the quality of decisions that are made by the QB and the arm strength to make certain throws successfully. But to make a blanket statement about overall talent having something to do with the overall T/O Margin, is stretching it a bit, IMO.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

I thought it was because Ash was a crappy DC.

ChitownHawg

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 22, 2014, 05:37:13 pm
I thought it was because Ash was a crappy DC.

Maybe not crappy, but he definitely had an inability to adjust his defense to the talent on hand.
Go Hogs Go!

aar0n

Not necessarily true.  You're only allowed 10 hours a week or so per NCAA rules for practice, and you can spend all 10 of those hours devoted to making the least skilled football team in the world the best at ball security and turnovers.  The problem is, they won't be good at anything else.

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 22, 2014, 05:48:15 pm
Maybe not crappy, but he definitely had an inability to adjust his defense to the talent on hand.

I was poking fun at the folks whose explanation for our pitiful defense last year was "we have no talent", then it immediately switched to "Ash wasn't very good" right after he left.

I don't remember what exactly happened on every play, but I can't help but think that one of us could have randomly picked a defensive set on that final drive at LSU and could have done a better job than he did....couldn't have done any worse.  I know you can't go out on the field and make plays for the players, but when they were pinned in inside their own 5 yd line his calls weren't very aggressive.  I certainly know hindsight and 20/20 and all that, but with nothing else to lose and everything to gain, playing it safe while they had a backup freshman QB and 99 yard to go just made no sense to me.

DeltaBoy

The Hogs giveth but they rarely taketh away Cursed be the Hogs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.