Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 40 Thread: Arkansas (24-15, 8-8 SEC) vs. #19 Vanderbilt (28-11, 7-9 SEC)

Started by ucahogfan, April 19, 2014, 04:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Wernes runs the count full, and he chases ball 4 on a pitch that almost hits him.

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

Wilkerson runs the count full, and he looks at strike 3 right down the pipe.

Vandy takes Game 2 2-1.

JHicks3636

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

ucahogfan

TEAM         1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      R   H   E
Vanderbilt   0   0   0   2   0   0   0   0   0      2   6   1
Arkansas    0   0   0   0   0   0   0   1   0      1   8   0

LOB
Arkansas - 8
Vanderbilt - 4

W - Fulmer (1-1)
L - Beeks (5-3)
S - Miller (3)

knoxvillehog

Pitiful 9th inning. Guess that's why they are at the bottom of the order.

ucahogfan

Quote from: knoxvillehog on April 19, 2014, 08:47:29 pm
Pitiful 9th inning. Guess that's why they are at the bottom of the order.
Against a guy with a sub 1 ERA who was a preseason AA and would be Vandy's closer if not for Carson Fulmer.  Wernes did chase ball 4, but the bottom of the lineup put together some good ABs.

JonClaudeVanHam

Man, we really could have used that game. Let's win the rubber-game tomorrow.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

trippigs

8 hits is pretty good.....just didn't as we needed them. Lets split on Sunday

tennesseehogwild

Dont care what u say UCA Bernal should have chanced it amd tried for 3rd. ;D.....Next guy hits deep fly to left if he makes it...If he dont we still have spoon on 2nd...Great job always on PBP...+1.....Go Hogs take game 3.

prisonhog

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on April 19, 2014, 08:50:24 pm
Dont care what u sat UCA Bernal should have chanced it amd tried for 3rd. ;D.....Next guy hits deep fly to left if he makes it...If he dont we still have spoon on 2nd...Great job always on PBP...+1.....Go Hogs take game 3.
That is easy to say now. If he goes for third and gets thrown out we would complain about that. Just have to swing the bats better.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

pigture perfect

I agree we needed that one. I think we outplayed them. Just didn't win. Good PBP though. See ya tomorrow.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Another 1 run loss.  The 1000th time that's happened in the last 4 seasons.

tennesseehogwild

Who knows what goes through college RF's minds also...I won't ever biatch about hustle plays. Anyways we are playing ball now like we all thought we should. Let's go get take Sunday!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Sixth 2-1 game Hogs have lost this season, 9th one run game loss of the season.

Extremely Unlucky.  I blame Houston Nutt.

hogman64

I have never seen a pitching staff throw more balls and hold a team to 1 run.. vanderbilts pitchers were all over the place .........

azhog10

Unacceptable to watch strike three in the final inning in the possible final at bat. No excuse. No excuse to continue to bunt with 2 strikes when he couldn't get it down before. Players and coach made mistakes tonight.

ricepig

Well, that puts a lot of pressure on tomorrow's game, Vandy isn't worried about making the tournament.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: gguillo on April 19, 2014, 09:06:12 pm
Sixth 2-1 game Hogs have lost this season, 9th one run game loss of the season.

Extremely Unlucky.  I blame Houston Nutt.
First time we have scored less than 3 runs since the first USCe game, which we lost 2-1. The next day is when we changed the top of the batting order and started getting more aggressive with the bats and the offense excelled. It seems as though we took a step back in time today. We out hit Vandy today 8-6, but had only one timely hit. 

hogman64

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 19, 2014, 10:08:08 pm
First time we have scored less than 3 runs since the first USCe game, which we lost 2-1. The next day is when we changed the top of the batting order and started getting more aggressive with the bats and the offense excelled. It seems as though we took a step back in time today. We out hit Vandy today 8-6, but had only one timely hit. 

we had a lot of guys strike out on ball 4 , just off the top of my head I can think of Spoon twice, Anderson once and Wernes once..........the vandy pitchers were trying to walk us but we wouldn't let them for the most part

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: hogman64 on April 19, 2014, 10:14:27 pm
we had a lot of guys strike out on ball 4 , just off the top of my head I can think of Spoon twice, Anderson once and Wernes once..........the vandy pitchers were trying to walk us but we wouldn't let them for the most part
Yep and Anderson should be getting better pitches to hit now, with the way Bax is hitting behind him.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogman64 on April 19, 2014, 10:14:27 pm
The announcers said that Anderson thought a hit and run was probably on with Serrano moving.  Should have still known that there was 3 balls in the count, but the heat of the moment like that can drive a hitter to do crazy things and chase bad pitches.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

hogman64

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 19, 2014, 10:19:17 pm
The announcers said that Anderson thought a hit and run was probably on with Serrano moving.  Should have still known that there was 3 balls in the count, but the heat of the moment like that can drive a hitter to do crazy things and chase bad pitches.

I think they just said he swung like a guy swings with a hit and run I don't think they really thought he was thinking that with a full count... they couldn't believe he swung so weakly........but Anderson hasn't been clutch late in games when we need a big hit, even tho he is overall one of the top two hitters...

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogman64 on April 19, 2014, 10:22:55 pm
I think they just said he swung like a guy swings with a hit and run I don't think they really thought he was thinking that with a full count... they couldn't believe he swung so weakly........but Anderson hasn't been clutch late in games when we need a big hit, even tho he is overall one of the top two hitters...
A lot of Anderson not coming up clutch has to do with the opposing pitching not giving him anything even remotely good to hit.  Both of Bax's hits today came on hanging breaking balls and I don't think Anderson has seen one of those in a month of more.  But like what was said a few posts up that Anderson will start seeing more pitches to hit with Bax and Fisher heating up behind him.

And I was shocked he put such a feeble swing on it as well.

azhog10

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 19, 2014, 10:26:39 pm
A lot of Anderson not coming up clutch has to do with the opposing pitching not giving him anything even remotely good to hit.
Except he continues to swing at said garbage.

hogman64

Quote from: azhog10 on April 19, 2014, 10:30:38 pm
Except he continues to swing at said garbage.

Exactly opposing coaches know when its clutch time he will swing at bad pitches that's why they don't have to give him anything to hit.

TikiHog

couple of things from the park...I think Benetendi should have tried for 3rd...DVH yelled at Anderson "What were you doing" when he got back to the dugout...funniest thing of the night #25 long fly to left that Serrano ran down at the wall well he thought he hit it out...he rounded 3rd and slapped skin with HC and trotted on touched home slapped skin with the next batter then had to be told in the dugout he didn't hit it out...his teammates were all laughing at him...also Vandy travels in 3 RV's that I would say are million dollar RV's...lets get them tomorrow

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TikiHog on April 20, 2014, 12:54:10 am
couple of things from the park...I think Benetendi should have tried for 3rd...DVH yelled at Anderson "What were you doing" when he got back to the dugout...funniest thing of the night #25 long fly to left that Serrano ran down at the wall well he thought he hit it out...he rounded 3rd and slapped skin with HC and trotted on touched home slapped skin with the next batter then had to be told in the dugout he didn't hit it out...his teammates were all laughing at him...also Vandy travels in 3 RV's that I would say are million dollar RV's...lets get them tomorrow
Good stuff Tiki, THX!

TikiHog

your welcome...the RV's are sweet and #25 thinking he hit it out was classic

TuckFexas

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 19, 2014, 10:19:17 pm

I don't buy the heat of the moment argument, IF this is what happened. You have to know the situation before you get in the box, especially a guy like Anderson. I think he had committed to swinging before the pitch was delivered, expecting a strike. That typically only happens when you feel you're a bit over-matched by the pitcher. Anderson is good, but nowhere near clutch.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

azhog10

For a team that wants to bunt as much as we do. You would think we would be better at it.

ucahogfan

Quote from: TuckFexas on April 20, 2014, 08:42:48 am
I don't buy the heat of the moment argument, IF this is what happened. You have to know the situation before you get in the box, especially a guy like Anderson. I think he had committed to swinging before the pitch was delivered, expecting a strike. That typically only happens when you feel you're a bit over-matched by the pitcher. Anderson is good, but nowhere near clutch.
I was just trying to rationalize why Anderson swung at such a bad pitch, but Anderson has been chasing more bad pitches this year than in the past 2 years and the only explanation I can come up for it is that he is pressing at the plate and trying to hit a HR every time.  He just needs to remember that AB he had in the top of the 8th in Baton Rouge that 1 hopped the wall in the RCF.  I was a heck of an AB and he didn't really chase a bad pitch and waited out until he got a pitch he can drive.

I think it was about this time last year that the switch flipped for Anderson and he went on a tear until the end of the season hitting like .400 and getting on base at like a .550 clip.  He was hitting like .270-.280 before that and couldn't be stopped after.

hogman64

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 20, 2014, 09:10:17 am
I was just trying to rationalize why Anderson swung at such a bad pitch, but Anderson has been chasing more bad pitches this year than in the past 2 years and the only explanation I can come up for it is that he is pressing at the plate and trying to hit a HR every time.  He just needs to remember that AB he had in the top of the 8th in Baton Rouge that 1 hopped the wall in the RCF.  I was a heck of an AB and he didn't really chase a bad pitch and waited out until he got a pitch he can drive.

I think it was about this time last year that the switch flipped for Anderson and he went on a tear until the end of the season hitting like .400 and getting on base at like a .550 clip.  He was hitting like .270-.280 before that and couldn't be stopped after.
We need Anderson to go up there and take a walk in the late innings if that is what they want to give him and stop swinging at anything they throw , your best hitters are supposed to be who you want at the plate in the late innings in clutch situations but Anderson is one of the last I want to see at the plate if the game is on the line.  Someone said all they give him are  bad pitches because of who hits behind him, well how many times has he walked in a clutch situation?   and  his BA is  good now it is his ability to deliver the clutch hit that is  not  good.

ricepig

I wonder what his average this year is with RISP, vs not? I told my boys as we were watching that the inning he led off, he'd get a hit. I understand his mentality before Bax and Fisher started heating up, there wasn't much hope of driving in a run after him. Hopefully, he'll relax and hit the pitches he can do something with.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogman64 on April 20, 2014, 09:26:51 am
We need Anderson to go up there and take a walk in the late innings if that is what they want to give him and stop swinging at anything they throw , your best hitters are supposed to be who you want at the plate in the late innings in clutch situations but Anderson is one of the last I want to see at the plate if the game is on the line.  Someone said all they give him are  bad pitches because of who hits behind him, well how many times has he walked in a clutch situation?   and  his BA is  good now it is his ability to deliver the clutch hit that is  not  good.
Which I agree that Anderson should be willing to take a walk if they are bouncing a lot of breaking balls to him like they have been, but he is pressing and trying to make things happen when he should just let it come to him.

I just gave you a situation where Anderson came through in the clutch just last week.  That was his best AB of the last couple of weeks and what he needs to do the rest of the year in a clutch situation.  And I said he doesn't see anything remotely good to hit in that pitchers leave breaking balls hanging and fastballs that find the middle of the plate.  Pitchers are gonna paint the corners with fastballs and make him chase breaking balls moreso than any other hitter on this team.  Most pitchers don't let him walk in those situations and make really good pitcher's pitches and Anderson has helped them out a little chasing some bad pitches, but for the most part the pitchers are making him hit pitcher's pitches.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on April 20, 2014, 09:34:22 am
hit the pitches he can do something with.
Which he doesn't see with runners on base.  Even with Bax and Fisher heating up, opponents still realize that our offense is only as good as Anderson so they are going to make them hit tough pitches for us to score.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 20, 2014, 09:44:16 am
Which he doesn't see with runners on base.  Even with Bax and Fisher heating up, opponents still realize that our offense is only as good as Anderson so they are going to make them hit tough pitches for us to score.
Which means don't chase bad ones.

Kevin

Some of you guys think about Anderson the way I have all year

Right now, we have 3 guys I want at the plate in the clutch.  They may not get a hit, but I think the will put the ball in play

Serrano
Benintendi
Bax- he did not try to kill the ball yesterday, took the ball where it was pitched, for a RBI.

Plus, notice all of fisher's balls yesterday, went straight up.  I hope he is not going to fall into trying to hit hr's
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22