Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1978 Notre Dame Third Place Game Highlights

Started by Jborohog09, April 19, 2014, 11:20:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jborohog09

Highlights of the win over ND in the 1978 Third Place game, enjoy!

ricepig

I was a Jr on the Hill and went to the Final 4 that year, great time, except losing to Ky.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

EastexHawg

That was a really good Notre Dame team, with future NBA stars like Bill Laimbeer, Kelly Tripucka, and Bill Hanzlik.  Tripucka was a prolific scorer who averaged over 21 ppg as a rookie with the Pistons and close to 27 the next year.

Marvin Delph is one of the great outside shooters in college basketball history.  Notice in the video they said he shot 55 percent from the field that year.  Most of those shots were from downtown.  If he had had a three point line and played for a team or in a system that allowed him to shoot more he would have put up outrageous scoring numbers.

Lanny

Quote from: Jborohog09 on April 19, 2014, 11:20:25 am
Highlights of the win over ND in the 1978 Third Place game, enjoy!

Thanks for the link, it's been a long time since I've seen that game.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

MikePiazza

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 20, 2014, 09:17:30 am
That was a really good Notre Dame team, with future NBA stars like Bill Laimbeer, Kelly Tripucka, and Bill Hanzlik.  Tripucka was a prolific scorer who averaged over 21 ppg as a rookie with the Pistons and close to 27 the next year.

Marvin Delph is one of the great outside shooters in college basketball history.  Notice in the video they said he shot 55 percent from the field that year.  Most of those shots were from downtown.  If he had had a three point line and played for a team or in a system that allowed him to shoot more he would have put up outrageous scoring numbers.

Martin Terry-esque numbers?
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

EastexHawg

Quote from: MikePiazza on April 21, 2014, 02:13:05 pm
Martin Terry-esque numbers?

Yep.

I grew up with Martin Terry and Dean Tolson.  I thought it was perfectly normal for Hog basketball players to score 35-45 points and get 20 rebounds in a game.

MikePiazza

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 21, 2014, 02:21:06 pm
Yep.

I grew up with Martin Terry and Dean Tolson.  I thought it was perfectly normal for Hog basketball players to score 35-45 points and get 20 rebounds in a game.

Was Van Eman just a lousy coach? I've never really delved into that era of Razorback basketball.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

EastexHawg

Quote from: MikePiazza on April 21, 2014, 02:28:18 pm
Was Van Eman just a lousy coach? I've never really delved into that era of Razorback basketball.

I would say so.  Eddie Sutton took over a lot of the same talent...minus the star player, Dean Tolson...with which Van Eman put up a losing SWC record in 1973-74 and went 11-3 for a second place conference finish in 1974-75.

Robert Birden, Rickey Medlock (the greatest foul shooter in Arkansas history), Jack Schulte, etc.  Scoring went down but fundamentals went way up with Sutton.  In 1974-1975 his starting backcourt, Medlock and Birden, shot .939 and .915 from the free throw line.

The 1976-77 and 1977-78 teams, which combined for 58 wins and 6 losses, both led the nation in field goal percentage with around 55% despite the fact that they were led by a trio of 6'3" to 6'4" guards/small forwards.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 21, 2014, 02:58:35 pm
I would say so.  Eddie Sutton took over a lot of the same talent...minus the star player, Dean Tolson...with which Van Eman put up a losing SWC record in 1973-74 and went 11-3 for a second place conference finish in 1974-75.

Robert Birden, Rickey Medlock (the greatest foul shooter in Arkansas history), Jack Schulte, etc.  Scoring went down but fundamentals went way up with Sutton.  In 1974-1975 his starting backcourt, Medlock and Birden, shot .939 and .915 from the free throw line.

The 1976-77 and 1977-78 teams, which combined for 58 wins and 6 losses, both led the nation in field goal percentage with around 55% despite the fact that they were led by a trio of 6'3" to 6'4" guards/small forwards.

Kent Allison 6'6".  Van Eman missed on Lloyd Free, Dexter Reed, Lanky Wells, etc.

EastexHawg

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on April 21, 2014, 05:45:39 pm
Kent Allison 6'6".  Van Eman missed on Lloyd Free, Dexter Reed, Lanky Wells, etc.

Kent was a standout on Sutton's earliest teams but I am pretty sure he was gone by the time the Triplets were putting up 26-2 and 32-4 records in 1976-78.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 21, 2014, 09:18:11 pm
Kent was a standout on Sutton's earliest teams but I am pretty sure he was gone by the time the Triplets were putting up 26-2 and 32-4 records in 1976-78.

yeah if I remember right he was a JC transfer and was there 74-75. He had exhausted his eligibility by 75-76.