Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all the Brandon Allen doubters.

Started by BornaHog, April 18, 2014, 08:34:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 19, 2014, 11:53:35 am
B.S., nobody on here could take a snap from center, much less pass a ball in that window. I assume you were being facetious, if not slap a Gopro camera on your head and do it with the neighborhood kids, haha.

Not sure if you're kidding.

Quote from: lowberh on April 19, 2014, 09:11:06 am
We talkin about practice? I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game.

What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man.
I'm just sittin here and we talkin bout practice.

ricepig

Oklahawg

Carefully crafted to not show much but does prove BA's arm is capable of a zip throw - hits a tiny window. Those critiquing clearly don't get the big issue - holding the MLB so the window is open. The safety couldn't get the ball even if in Hatcher's hip pocket.

The need to bag on Allen is a sign of a mental condition, maybe? He may not be a top five draft pick but guess what? Damn few of those in the SEC and even fewer who are ready to be under fire (lots of young QBs this coming year which is a good thing). Allen needs to only be an AJ McCarron or of the quality of the typical LSU QBs - a better leader than thrower.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BornaHog

I guess I'll chime in again.
   I posted the link from CBB's twitter. He thought enough of it to send it on twitter to all of his followers. To me(my opinion), that says he thought it was an informative 20 second video! What it mostly shows, again(my opinion)from the first view doesn't really look anything too fast. The second view was a little quicker and showed a little more of the offensive view. The third was the QB view and everything that BA saw was what we all saw, IN THE SAME TIME FRAME.

Again I will state that in my opinion, No one posting here on Hogville could make that play. The 2 to 2 1/2 seconds from start to finish is way above the abilities of us.

WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lowberh on April 19, 2014, 09:11:06 am
We talkin about practice? I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game.

What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man.

And when is the next game? That is a long time not to talk.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

secneahog

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 19, 2014, 11:37:41 am
Although the angles and film work is killer (I really like the one from behind the QB), that's probably not the best example to make the OP's point.  DB's playing outside technique and no over-the-top help...anyone on here could have made that throw.

But I understand the intention.  BA was hurt most of last year, yes, but he was also extremely snakebit.  There were many times when it was obvious that he couldn't wait to get rid of the ball - that clock in his head was running twice the speed of the actual play.  After a while, he drops back and it's like "oh * oh * oh *, if I don't get rid of this ball something awful is gonna happen".

It happens to alot of guys, and the only thing you can do is play out of it.  Many QB's fold when this sets in, and Arkansas has sure had their share.  But I don't think BA is one of them, I really don't.  I think the more he plays, the better he'll get.  He'll be fine imo.

Your ridiculous.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 19, 2014, 11:37:41 am
Although the angles and film work is killer (I really like the one from behind the QB), that's probably not the best example to make the OP's point.  DB's playing outside technique and no over-the-top help...anyone on here could have made that throw.

But I understand the intention.  BA was hurt most of last year, yes, but he was also extremely snakebit.  There were many times when it was obvious that he couldn't wait to get rid of the ball - that clock in his head was running twice the speed of the actual play.  After a while, he drops back and it's like "oh * oh * oh *, if I don't get rid of this ball something awful is gonna happen".

It happens to alot of guys, and the only thing you can do is play out of it.  Many QB's fold when this sets in, and Arkansas has sure had their share.  But I don't think BA is one of them, I really don't.  I think the more he plays, the better he'll get.  He'll be fine imo.

Quote from: secneahog on April 19, 2014, 03:55:35 pm
Your ridiculous.

You see what happens when you try to be nice? It totally confuses everyone. For the sanity of this board stop it!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

CallThemHawgs!

Seriously though, posting a video of a WR running a slant and Brandon Allen hitting him 5 yards down field without even attempting to look him off or make another read.

WOW... so impressive / end sarcasm

He could challenge Andrew Luck for the Colts job

Mike Irwin

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 19, 2014, 05:05:16 pm
Seriously though, posting a video of a WR running a slant and Brandon Allen hitting him 5 yards down field without even attempting to look him off or make another read.

Really? Braylon Mitchell bites on the fake to Korliss Marshall leaving Keon Hatcher uncovered across the middle and BA is supposed to look him off, make some reads and then find other receivers to throw it to?

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 19, 2014, 05:28:38 pm
Really? Braylon Mitchell bites on the fake to Korliss Marshall leaving Keon Hatcher uncovered across the middle and BA is supposed to look him off, make some reads and then find other receivers to throw it to?

Sure, you never throw to the first guy, HV expects you to check down to the Hail Mary.

ChitownHawg

Football ignorant is the only way to describe your post.  :-\

CallThemHawgs!

No, I guess my post was misunderstood.

It was directed at the OP, as if this was evidence that Brandon Allen is somehow now ready to conquer the SEC.

Sure, the DB bit on the play fake to the RB yada yada, awesome.

Point is, it was a simple play with one option that was designed to go there. He did. It was completed.

I guess we should be excited he can actually complete passes at this point, considering his completion percentage was below 50% last year. Which wont get it done at any level, let alone in the SEC.

sickboy

On that helmet cam... I realize that that's somewhat of a routine play... but that makes me shutter to think of what an NFL QB is going through at NFL speed. This is just college practice speed and I didn't even have time to separate the defender from the receiver visually -- let alone see that the MLB was in position to make the pick if he didn't throw the ball immediately, with touch, over his head.

I couldn't make this throw if I practiced it for a week straight.

LZH

Quote from: locusbug on April 19, 2014, 04:20:02 pm
You see what happens when you try to be nice? It totally confuses everyone. For the sanity of this board stop it!  ;D

Hee hee.  Yeah, I guess he's not a BA fan.

Break & Run

Some have never heard of timing routes. Something Petrino lived on.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Grunt

Never "pinch" a receiver. Hell, throw it the way he's going. Guarantee, that db learned more on the play than did BA. And guys, if he stares down receivers, do you think the coaches need *you* to tell them?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Break & Run on April 19, 2014, 07:08:16 pm
Some have never heard of timing routes. Something Petrino lived on.

Some might not have, and by some I would hope we are referring to old women and small children between the ages of 3-7.

My criticism remains. Maybe Brandon Allen is ready to be a better than average QB in the SEC, I have not however seen anything to prove that he is.

This short little video of a 5 yard slant included.

Wants2Win

What does Brandon Allen do exceptionally well?

Oklahawg

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 19, 2014, 08:07:08 pm
Some might not have, and by some I would hope we are referring to old women and small children between the ages of 3-7.

So which are you? Old woman or small child.

You clearly miss everything about why this would be posted (I helped you above).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

root_hawg

Hmm... A J McCarron   668-1,026  67%  77 Tds  15 int

I would take that out of any QB

hog911

Quote from: BornaHog on April 18, 2014, 08:34:08 pm

http://vimeo.com/92363752

If you think you could do what BA does, I really doubt that you could. He practices doing this day in and day out. In your opinion he is not an SEC QB. THIS WAS AN SEC CALIBER PLAY!!!

Just give him a chance to prove you wrong, and if he does, please come back to eat your fair share of CROW!     WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG

BA is only one of the many problems facings us! He definitely wouldn't start or even be a second string QB for any other SEC team! In his defense we don't have much of a O line either! Basically we completely suck and will be 0-20 in the SEC this time next year! So enjoy! Thanks Jeff, make sure you put yourself first and destroy everything this state loves before you skip town!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 19, 2014, 01:44:23 pm
Carefully crafted to not show much but does prove BA's arm is capable of a zip throw - hits a tiny window. Those critiquing clearly don't get the big issue - holding the MLB so the window is open. The safety couldn't get the ball even if in Hatcher's hip pocket.

The need to bag on Allen is a sign of a mental condition, maybe? He may not be a top five draft pick but guess what? Damn few of those in the SEC and even fewer who are ready to be under fire (lots of young QBs this coming year which is a good thing). Allen needs to only be an AJ McCarron or of the quality of the typical LSU QBs - a better leader than thrower.

Oh, he only needs to be an AJ McCarron type? Right, thanks for helping me Bear Bryant.

lefty08

Quote from: secneahog on April 19, 2014, 11:10:24 am
Crazy how are defense get scored on and people go to the doom and gloom mindset.

Sad people. ...

are?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

LZH

Prestworthy

Was that Derby running fullback/h-back?

bruisemeister

The following were horrible SEC quarterbacks when I first saw them:
Ben Leard, Auburn
Jason Campbell, Auburn
Connor Shaw, South Carolina
Stewart Patridge, Ole Miss
Clint Stoerner, Arkansas

The first two ended their careers as 1st team SEC. The remaining ones had sensational careers. Brandon Allen could end up being the next Ben Leard or Clint Stoerner. He could end up being the next Pete Burks. This year will tell. I think people are wanting him out of the way because they want to make room for Peevey or Storrey or longterm hopes for the Bentonville QB. "they may leave or transfer or never come here if Allen is the man for the next two years. What if his brother is his heir apparent?'
For those, let me remind you of a guy who was sandwiched in between a national championship qb and the nations top recruit. This guy would never live up to the success as the guy he followed(even though defense won that team a national title)and he certainly wasn't as talented as the new phenom...This guys name...Tom Brady.

HOGINTENNESSEE

April 20, 2014, 06:06:21 am #77 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:28:27 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=17WPa_dR29s

I beg you to say the same thing about the video above

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVcRTKLwGg

Or this one.

HOGINTENNESSEE

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Break & Run on April 19, 2014, 10:56:08 am
And we won't in Spring ball.  Coach B probably took the most basic play they practiced to put on vimeo so it wouldn't leave anything for opponents to look at.

Oh yeah, I agree. Most likely the case and it was a nice, quick hitting throw that was pretty much on the numbers. I just can't wait to see what occurs when it is live and the primary is covered.
Go Hogs Go!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: BornaHog on April 18, 2014, 08:34:08 pm

http://vimeo.com/92363752

If you think you could do what BA does, I really doubt that you could. He practices doing this day in and day out. In your opinion he is not an SEC QB. THIS WAS AN SEC CALIBER PLAY!!!

Just give him a chance to prove you wrong, and if he does, please come back to eat your fair share of CROW!     WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
well, it was thrown just a tad behind the receiver, so I could improve on that.....I keed I keed

PP

harrisburghog

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: harrisburghog on April 20, 2014, 07:28:52 am

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for joining the ranks of the completely uninformed. On a quick slant how much time to you think a QB has before the window closes on that route? I'll give you a clue - you should focus on the name of the route "quick slant".

ChitownHawg

April 20, 2014, 07:52:01 am #83 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:36:39 am by locusbug

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of you guys embarrass me as a fan and fellow Arkansan. Have you ever seen a football game? You remind me of some Cub fans. They cannot tell you what a squeeze play is - but they can tell you verbatim the drink menu at Wrigley. They are only there to be seen and for the party. Nothing wrong with that but you would think they would pick up a bit of the game along the way.

Learn a bit of the game.  :puke:

Steef

As has been pointed out elsewhere, it's been years since we even TRIED to throw to the middle of the field.

The quick slant is the absolute best play to burn a blitz. Anybody remember us getting blitzed last year?

It also takes precise timing between QB/WR.

Maybe not the single most exciting play in the playbook, but certainly one of the most useful. Nice to see it back in our arsenal.

masshog2412

Quote from: steefhog on April 20, 2014, 07:58:58 am
As has been pointed out elsewhere, it's been years since we even TRIED to throw to the middle of the field.

The quick slant is the absolute best play to burn a blitz. Anybody remember us getting blitzed last year?

Maybe not the single most exciting play in the playbook, but certainly one of the most useful. Nice to see it back in our arsenal.
this right here.  im not going to resort to calling most of you idiots ( you prob already know).   This quick slant shows me two things...the timing is getting there with the receivers over the middle and most importantly BA was able to squeeze it into a small windo which will be a necessity against top notch SEC defenses.  When your getting blitzed by Bama or whoever for that matter and you need to pick up that 3rd and 4 to keep a drive moving im willing to bet there will still be plenty of people complaining that he didnt check down to a second or third receiver even though we would pick up the 1st down on that play.  And for you guys saying anyone on here could make that pass....be for real man you aint gotta lie to kick it

ChitownHawg

Quote from: steefhog on April 20, 2014, 07:58:58 am

What I have read by several of the more knowledgeable Hogvillians is that Bama would rough up our WRs which prevented our vaunted passing attack under CBP from working. That makes sense if the WR is worried about getting hammered they begin to not stretch for the ball. Probably the best counter move against a master play caller like CBP - keep his players from executing the brilliant play.

For the guys watching our WRs in practice are they big enough to fight back and brave enough to not worry about a LB taking their head off when they cross the middle? I know it is only practice, but we should be seeing a glimpse on their capabilities (good or bad) across the middle - right?

Break & Run

Good god.  I've Bobby Petrino had been the coach and they posted this video, most of y'all would be slobbering all over his tool.  Get over yourselves and enjoy life!  GOODNESS!!!!

Happy Easter to those who enjoy life.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

buldozer

Yea he was throwing 8-10 yard bombs last year.... and we won three games. IMO the proof is against SEC opponents... If we can win at least 3 SEC games this year I am satisfied this was a good comeback from hell

TeedupHigh

Quote from: rlamb on April 19, 2014, 02:44:46 am
For he originator of is thread, you must take moonlight walks with ole Brandon?  Yes our defense is horrible, but last year even though our defense was worse than horrible, QB was our weakest position and it will be this year also. 

Just stop!  If you can't at least try to support then find another team to bitch about!!!

TeedupHigh

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really pay attention to football or are you just another who only goes for the tailgating?  As you so well stated "hitting him 5 yards down the field", just how long does ANY qb have in looking off before that throw has GOT to be made?  Find another team and player to bash

jkstock04

Brandon Allen looked good early last year... Especially the Louisiana Layfayette game I thought.  When the competition stepped up and his injury hit is when it went south for him. This video isn't proof of much.... other than 1 good play that any division 1 qb should be able to complete. Jury is still 100% out on him and I hope it works out. Coaches need to put him in situations where he can succeed. In my opinion last year they did not do a good job of this.

Someone above said we hadn't tried throwing over the middle of the field in years? From what I have witnessed we have been trying it ever since HDN's departure. We weren't afraid to try it last year even..it just didn't work.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Steef

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 20, 2014, 10:08:30 am
Brandon Allen looked good early last year... Especially the Louisiana Layfayette game I thought.  When the competition stepped up and his injury hit is when it went south for him. This video isn't proof of much.... other than 1 good play that any division 1 qb should be able to complete. Jury is still 100% out on him and I hope it works out. Coaches need to put him in situations where he can succeed. In my opinion last year they did not do a good job of this.

Someone above said we hadn't tried throwing over the middle of the field in years? From what I have witnessed we have been trying it ever since HDN's departure. We weren't afraid to try it last year even..it just didn't work.

We didn't try it much. Without that timing, the ball can go right into the hands of a safety instead. Or get bounced...who knows where. And the receiver has to know he CAN get there, which isn't always true with the zebras we have in the SEC.

For most of this century, every coach and/or QB we've had, has wanted our short passing game to be primarily to the sideline, which is a MUCH safer throw (for everybody, including the receiver). Nutt was scared to throw anything BUT sideline. Bobby knew that Mallett was going to throw too hard and could easily get deflected. And Tyler just wanted to know where Jarius was on every play.

But the quick/slant is meant to burn a blitz. Has to be eye-blink fast. Gotta be thrown right where that blitzing linebacker USED to be, because he's already in the QB's face.

There is no more sinking feeing to a Mike, than seeing that ball go whistling over his head, knowing its going to HIS territory.

It's a middle finger to every DC who's disrespecting our passing game and blitzing like crazy. Which was every DC last year.

Which is why (I'm guessing) Bret deliberately chose to SHOW that play. "Come on and blitz us now!"....I believe is his message.

masshog2412

Quote from: TeedupHigh on April 20, 2014, 09:48:00 am
Just stop!  If you can't at least try to support then find another team to bitch about!!!
cant expect a lions attitude from a lamb

LZH

Quote from: masshog2412 on April 20, 2014, 08:35:27 amAnd for you guys saying anyone on here could make that pass....be for real man you aint gotta lie to kick it

The quick-in is the easiest pass in the game.  Well, actually throwing what we called a '5 route' to the left is a little easier than throwing one to the right (or at least it was for me - right handed).  So, I swear, I promise, I assure you that if you can throw a football, you could make this pass.

I was defending BA for Pete's sake, and still there are guys jumping on a post just because............well, I guess just because it's April and there's nothing else to argue about?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 20, 2014, 11:04:08 am
The quick-in is the easiest pass in the game.  Well, actually throwing what we called a '5 route' to the left is a little easier than throwing one to the right (or at least it was for me - right handed).  So, I swear, I promise, I assure you that if you can throw a football, you could make this pass.

I was defending BA for Pete's sake, and still there are guys jumping on a post just because............well, I guess just because it's April and there's nothing else to argue about?

Whether easiest or not, he effectively executed the play action fake, thus freezing the MLB, which made the play possible and then delivered the ball on target in a small window.

If this play had occurred against Alabama and we scored on it, as we did on this play, everyone would be proclaiming how great the execution was and what a great throw it was. But it is spring ball and everyone is more pre-emptively negative about BA based on last year when he played with a hurt throwing shoulder and couldn't have executed this throw.

Just sayin, it looked great, great throw in a narrow window, but lets give the kid the benefit of the doubt until we see live game action in the fall.
Go Hogs Go!

Fort Dweller

Quote from: ricepig on April 19, 2014, 11:53:35 am
B.S., nobody on here could take a snap from center, much less pass a ball in that window. I assume you were being facetious, if not slap a Gopro camera on your head and do it with the neighborhood kids, haha.

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 20, 2014, 11:19:35 am
Whether easiest or not, he effectively executed the play action fake, thus freezing the MLB, which made the play possible and then delivered the ball on target in a small window.

If this play had occurred against Alabama and we scored on it, as we did on this play, everyone would be proclaiming how great the execution was and what a great throw it was. But it is spring ball and everyone is more pre-emptively negative about BA based on last year when he played with a hurt throwing shoulder and couldn't have executed this throw.

Just sayin, it looked great, great throw in a narrow window, but lets give the kid the benefit of the doubt until we see live game action in the fall.

Yeah, I agree with ya.  With folks saying that he looked ho-hum on that play, my point was "no kidding, it's not supposed to be a flashy play - the OP didn't pick a very flattering example".

masshog2412

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 20, 2014, 11:04:08 am

i hear what your saying i played quarterback in HS back in early 2000s at 5a school in central Ark.  I know what it entails to make that pass it requires quick thinking and premier ball placement when the CB is on the WR hip and the LBs are blitzing....but you got to remember im only 6'1 and trying to squeeze that in between the DL\OL against SEC defenses is hardly something anybody on here could do....i read a lot of your posts and i respect you opinion and i dont doubt you and few on here could possibly make that throw (questionable against SEC) but to say anyone on here is a little over the top IMO

ricepig