Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA and NBA are in talks to increase the rookie age limit to 20.

Started by dsims2k3, April 18, 2014, 04:51:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggle

Quote from: Cotton on April 19, 2014, 08:08:39 am
Funny, it benefits everybody but the players. The ones actually playing the game.

But hey it makes money for the NCAA! Rich get richer....

Which players are you referring to?  It does benefit players already in the NBA, and future NBA players (the ones I think you are concerned about) once they earn a job in the NBA.

nextlevel

Quote from: Cotton on April 19, 2014, 08:08:39 am
Funny, it benefits everybody but the players. The ones actually playing the game.

But hey it makes money for the NCAA! Rich get richer....

Actually it benefits the players who are in the player's union.

The player's union and the leagues reach a bargaining agreement for the players to work for the teams.

It is like that in every industry that has a union, the union representatives meet with the employer and reach an agreement for the good of union members.

The agreement being proposed is beneficial to NBA veteran players, it adds job opportunities and security in the league for them as they have less of chance in being cut so the team can have a 17-20 year old developmental player on the roster sitting in "their spot" on the bench. The league agrees because it helps provide them a better product on the court that they can sell and increases revenue. These players many feel are being done "so wrong" will benefit from these agreements once they meet the age requirement and if they actually land on a roster in the league.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

HawgnCorona

Quote from: FaytownHog on April 19, 2014, 07:44:27 am
ABSOLUTELY! The NBA and MLB aren't leagues where the game requires  you to collide your body against your opponent in every play. In the NFL/NHL, a grown man, pro athlete up against a HS kid, might LITERALLY kill him. In the NBA/MLB, you throw a ball, put it through a hoop or hit it with a bat etc. If you can do it at the highest level, let em do it! If not, don't draft em, let em go to college etc. What's the big deal?

Absolutely my estute fellow Hogvillian..

Now, would you agree that there is a certain level of violence that exits in all sports--excepting golf and track?
That being so, what is at least one thing--injury-- that ties all above mention Pro sports together. Regardless of the level of violence?

That said I do not believe it is the underlying reason behind the NBAs reasoning for the corporate speak "business decision"...to require a 3yrs min. before entry.
Now let me see if I can explain my view as well as you did yours-----a bit be warned.
There are at the moment few out of high school who are "physically" ready to play basketball at the PRO level.
IMO, it is the undeveloped mental aspect of the game that really leads to this business decision. Its necessary in ALL sports. And validated by scientific study.Not the age, not there physical skills on a playing surface.
Plenty of studies out there to back that up too...
For those of you who bet that is what the odds makers use to determine the potential winner of and a sporting event.

So it one makes sense why its a bad decision to draft young players not mentally ready for game at the PRO level. Paying them X dollar in a developmental league of guaranteed money for some, is waste. Very few develop enough to get there and stick.
So you give them three yrs to develop mentally in the game at the college level and then go...And sadly, some aren't going to really student-athletes.

But no one is forcing you to go college.

I don't have to wonder why Shabazz Napier was the big force UCONNs' in Championship run. He had the physical and mental game to impose his will on his opponent and therefore the outcome of the game.

The mental game gave him the edge. To all watching HE alone had the mental TOUGHNESS that carried his team. It is what separates to equally talented teams.

Requiring 3yrs before entry they hope to get  players--mentally and physically skilled. And lesser players in which to evaluate at that Jr yr, only.
That should make for a better quality game and increased profit(margin). With more butts in seat and marketing sales.

That is whats important to the NBA. To survive and not be road kill someday as a PRO sport and the owners know it.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8