Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou AD: Haith left program in better shape than 3 years ago...

Started by BigNasty, April 18, 2014, 04:09:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigNasty

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10803958/tulsa-golden-hurricane-hires-frank-haith-new-coach

"Alden said he granted Haith permission to talk with Tulsa and the coach indicated in a text message Friday that he was leaving. He said he was disappointed, but noted that Haith had left the program in better shape than it was three years ago."

Really?  Anderson had a stellar team setup when he left.  Enough for Haith to go 30-5.   

secfan30

Smithian

That's called trying to cover your backside over a bad hire.

Hawg Red

nextlevel

In the last month or so these incidents have occurred for Mizzou:

Wes Clark and Shane Rector getting arrested for possession, Tony Criswell getting sued for refusing to pay his lease (owed $3,000), Zach Price attacking his former teammate Earnest Ross causing Ross to file a restraining order, (Price ramming Ross's car), Jones skipping classes.

Mizzou has also had a massive drop off in ticket sales and attendance during the Haith era.

Baghdad Alden: "Program is in great shape. Everythings fine. 
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

BigNasty

I think he's trying to talk up the situation for the next hire, but come on!  They were all set when Anderson left. 

-Blu

Quote from: BigNasty on April 18, 2014, 04:14:49 pm
I think he's trying to talk up the situation for the next hire, but come on!  They were all set when Anderson left.

According to Mizzou fans, Mike left them with no recruits and just did them so bad.

I'm sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with that.  If I were a coach I'd actually prefer not to have to keep a class of guys recruited for another system.  I wish Pelphrey left us with no recruits, so Mike could have brought in some JUCOs and late bloomers that fit our system.  We'd be going into this season with a senior laden team of guys that actually fit our system.  And you never know, we may have got another Qualls and Clarke had he been able to bring his own guys in that first year.  But instead we ended up not getting much value out of any of Pels recruits except Madden.  You could argue BJ Young, but he really wasn't a system fit, although a very talented player.

k.c.hawg

Yeah I was writing a post on this after hearing it in his presser. Total BS!!! I know he has to say it but can't believe it.

Mike Anderson:

Left an experienced team with 3 straight tournament appearances
Left a team returning 90% of it's scoring and rebounding ultimately capable of winning 30 games the next season
4 tournament wins in 3 tournament appearances
Left to go home, to a school with more basketball tradition and a raise
Left 3 weeks earlier leaving Mizzou more time and candidates to chose from

Frank Haith:

Losses increased every year
this season ended 5 year NCAA streak
Leaves a roster with approx 15% of it's scoring returning
No tournament wins in his 3 years
Blindsides the University to go to fricking Tulsa
Leaves the program suffering from severe fan apathy
Leaves on the heels of a bad scandal with a player assaulting a teammate and subsequent restraining order
From best I can tell they have 7 scholarship players and who knows who is sitting out or still waiting and 3 signee's who may or may not end up there (after Mike Anderson was heavily criticized for leaving a Sr laden team and no recruiting class)

We will see Mike Alden.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hoghappy

k.c.hawg

Maybe he meant left the program in better shape as in.....we would have been paying $500k to $1m to fire Haith next year but now we are getting $500k and getting a year head start on rebuilding.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Danny J

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Marshfieldhog

Stupid remark by the AD, even Mizzou fans should see through that one.

Adam Stokes

Mike did leave the program pretty top heavy class wise, but it was Haith's fault for loading up on the number of transfers he did.  Eventually you have to recruit freshman consistently.

Sawyer

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 18, 2014, 05:05:43 pm
Stupid remark by the AD, even Mizzou fans should see through that one.

Not exactly stupid, but it's debatable.

Anderson left Mizzou with 10 players. That became eight when two kids left, then seven when Bowers got hurt (not Anderson's fault).

The issue was that as well as they were set up for the first year, they had little coming back. That can be a positive, as others have noted, but there's a middle ground that's ideal. You don't want a roster clogged with another guy's players, but you don't want to have to fill nine scholarships in year one, either.

Haith is leaving a program that has some nice pieces and also some holes. But IMO it's a better mix of experience, talent and flexibility for a coach looking to build a program at Mizzou. It's not set up as nicely for a great first year, but it's set up better for a great year two and three.

HognitiveDissonance

Coach-speak.
AD-speak.

It's all the same. You hear the same comments in certain situations, no matter what. Like, when a coach leaves, 'the program is better now than when he took over'.

But you hear that now at Ark, too. 'the program is in better shape now'. Another version is 'the program was in such disarray when Anderson took over'.

Well, not really. Not much has changed, really. We still haven't cracked the NCAAs since he took over.

But I digress. The main point is that sometimes you can predict very easily the press quotes when certain events happen.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 18, 2014, 10:45:35 pm
Coach-speak.
AD-speak.

It's all the same. You hear the same comments in certain situations, no matter what. Like, when a coach leaves, 'the program is better now than when he took over'.

But you hear that now at Ark, too. 'the program is in better shape now'. Another version is 'the program was in such disarray when Anderson took over'.

Well, not really. Not much has changed, really. We still haven't cracked the NCAAs since he took over.

But I digress. The main point is that sometimes you can predict very easily the press quotes when certain events happen.

I remember those 14 win seasons by Pel. Things have changed.

hawgmasta

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 18, 2014, 10:53:50 pm
I remember those 14 win seasons by Pel. Things have changed.

It feels so great to actually be excited again about the upcoming season.

hoghiker

What else is he going to say? The guy I hired tanked us.

Breems

Lmao.

Even NIT Haith was able to achieve 30 wins because of Mike Anderson (non-debatable).

The next coach will be in quite a mess.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: -Blu on April 18, 2014, 04:28:40 pm
According to Mizzou fans, Mike left them with no recruits and just did them so bad.

I'm sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with that.  If I were a coach I'd actually prefer not to have to keep a class of guys recruited for another system.  I wish Pelphrey left us with no recruits, so Mike could have brought in some JUCOs and late bloomers that fit our system.  We'd be going into this season with a senior laden team of guys that actually fit our system.  And you never know, we may have got another Qualls and Clarke had he been able to bring his own guys in that first year.  But instead we ended up not getting much value out of any of Pels recruits except Madden.  You could argue BJ Young, but he really wasn't a system fit, although a very talented player.
MA was going to get Otto Porter that year but after he left to go to Arkansas Mizzu had no chance. Put Porter on that team with Ratliffe, English, Denmon and Pressey and they are going to make another deep run in the the tourney.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Sawyer on April 18, 2014, 06:45:32 pm
Not exactly stupid, but it's debatable.

Anderson left Mizzou with 10 players. That became eight when two kids left, then seven when Bowers got hurt (not Anderson's fault).

The issue was that as well as they were set up for the first year, they had little coming back. That can be a positive, as others have noted, but there's a middle ground that's ideal. You don't want a roster clogged with another guy's players, but you don't want to have to fill nine scholarships in year one, either.

Haith is leaving a program that has some nice pieces and also some holes. But IMO it's a better mix of experience, talent and flexibility for a coach looking to build a program at Mizzou. It's not set up as nicely for a great first year, but it's set up better for a great year two and three.

Well Mizz's Juco All America and 4 star recruit are one looking to go elsewhere. So pretty much the same situation now.

Plus most consider Otto Porter a look for Mizz before Mike left.

TMc

Quote from: Smithian on April 18, 2014, 04:11:58 pm
That's called trying to cover your backside over a bad hire.

I believe if I were him, I would keep my mouth shut.  He looks even more foolish now.  Mizzou is going to be terrible next year.  No balance in the classes, a bunch of transfers and a high school player or two. They are going to be awful next year.

jfred59

He may be looking at this way,  he knows how bad Haith was when he hired him and he is going so yeah he left it in better shape by leaving

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 18, 2014, 10:45:35 pm
Coach-speak.
AD-speak.

It takes intentional ignorance to use that as your only point. We DID make postseason for the first time since 2008 last year, and now we return 4 starters including our top 3 leading scorers (Madden, Portis, Qualls). That's a great setup.

Jek Tono Porkins

Say WHAT?! The AD needs to put up the crazy pills. There is no way that you could possibly argue that Frank Haith left the Mizzou program better than he found it.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Breems

Quote from: ReddieHawg on April 19, 2014, 05:23:39 pm
Say WHAT?! The AD needs to put up the crazy pills. There is no way that you could possibly argue that Frank Haith left the Mizzou program better than he found it.

He has to say stuff like this, though. No biggie.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dominicanhog

There's even a question here? ... I'd be more expletive if they hadn't beaten us every time we stepped o the court.  Leave Missouri for Tulsa?  Give me a break.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Breems on April 19, 2014, 07:49:16 pm
He has to say stuff like this, though. No biggie.

Exactly.  Boiler plate stuff.  Nothing earth shaking in the least.

Sharky

Quote from: ReddieHawg on April 19, 2014, 05:23:39 pm

Well, Anderson left no recruits at Mizzou, players who were frustrated with his system (lost 5 of their last 6) and felt abandoned, a sliding record, and a documented rape allegation that was certain to surface and did resulting in the removal of a top scorer (Michael Dixon). Not everyone at Mizzou was sad to see Anderson go. He finished conference 8-8 in 2010.

Hogville likes to claim that Haith only succeeded that first year because of Anderson's players, and that's only partly true. Some of those players had actually gotten worse every year under Anderson, and then exploded under Haith. Kim English, particularity, blamed Anderson for his statistical drop between his sophomore and junior year. English played much better on a team that ran set plays, no doubt aided by the fundamentals Anderson instilled.

Anderson is an above average coach. However, teams with solid, experienced guard play tend to expose the split defense caused by the press. His player development is questionable (BJ Young also dropped statistically under Anderson). And our recruits next year are average.

The fact is that Mizzou swept us this year. And Haith went 3-1 against Anderson during his SEC tenure. Next year we'll see whether we continue to rise or whether we've peaked under Anderson.

HOGINTENNESSEE

April 20, 2014, 05:36:27 am #30 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:47:43 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Sharky on April 20, 2014, 02:35:05 am
Well, Anderson left no recruits at Mizzou, players who were frustrated with his system (lost 5 of their last 6) and felt abandoned, a sliding record, and a documented rape allegation that was certain to surface and did resulting in the removal of a top scorer (Michael Dixon). Not everyone at Mizzou was sad to see Anderson go. He finished conference 8-8 in 2010.

Hogville likes to claim that Haith only succeeded that first year because of Anderson's players, and that's only partly true. Some of those players had actually gotten worse every year under Anderson, and then exploded under Haith. Kim English, particularity, blamed Anderson for his statistical drop between his sophomore and junior year. English played much better on a team that ran set plays, no doubt aided by the fundamentals Anderson instilled.

Anderson is an above average coach. However, teams with solid, experienced guard play tend to expose the split defense caused by the press. His player development is questionable (BJ Young also dropped statistically under Anderson). And our recruits next year are average.

The fact is that Mizzou swept us this year. And Haith went 3-1 against Anderson during his SEC tenure. Next year we'll see whether we continue to rise or whether we've peaked under Anderson.

Lol, at Anderson leaving "No" recruits Mizz only had 1 open schollie. They were saving that for Otto Porter.

You are right about Mike's teams exploding under Haith. Becoming only the 5th 2 Seed to lose in the NCAA tourney to a 15 seed.

You also Give MA the blame for Kim English's decline. So Mike gets zero credit for English going from a 6 ppg player to a 14 ppg player? English just did that without any coaching?

Why didn't you bring up Demarre Carroll who's stats went up every season at Mizz? Going from a 4 ppg player his freshman year to 16ppg as a Sr? I assume because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Look at the Statically improvements this year for both Ky Madden and Michael Qualls. They are staggering.

And as Far as Mike Anderson being a average coach. He is one of only a hand full of Coaches to never have a losing record and has taken both UAB and Mizz to the Sweet 16.

Finally, let look at the schools he has won at. UAB Prior to Mike Anderson hadn't won an NCAA tourney game since 1985-1986 season. Mike won a total of 3 NCAA tourney games when he was there and UAB has not won an NCAA tourney game since he has left (8 years)

Mizz had not won more than 16 game the previous 3 seasons before MA arrived. MA won 4 NCAA tourney games in his 5 seasons. Mizz had won only 5 tourney games in the previous 11 years before MA came Mizz. In addition Mizz won the Big 12 conference championship in 2008-2009 for the first time in School History.

Mizz, like UAB has not won an NCAA tourney game since Mike Anderson's departure.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 20, 2014, 05:36:27 am
Lol, at Anderson leaving "No" recruits Mizz only had 1 open schollie. They were saving that for Otto Porter.

You are right about Mike's teams exploding under Haith. Becoming only the 5th 2 Seed to lose in the NCAA tourney to a 15 seed.

You also blame Give MA the blame for Kim English's decline. So Mike get zero credit for English going from a 6 ppg player to a 14 ppg player? English just did that with any coaching?

Why didn't you bring up Demarre Carroll who's stats went up every season at Mizz? Going from a 4 ppg player his freshman year to 16ppg as a Sr? I assume because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Look at the Statically improvements this year for both Ky Madden and Michael Qualls. They are staggering.

And as Far as Mike Anderson being a average coach. He is one of only a hand full of Coaches to never have a losing record and has taken both UAB and Mizz to the Sweet 16.

Finally, let look at the schools he has won at. UAB Prior to Mike Anderson hadn't won an NCAA tourney game since 1985-1986 season. Mike won a total of 3 NCAA tourney games when he was there and UAB has not won a NCAA tourney game since he has left (8 years)

Mizz had not won more than 16 game the previous 3 seasons before MA arrived. MA won 4 NCAA tourney games in his 5 seasons. Mizz had won only 5 tourney games in the previous 11 years before MA came Mizz. In addition Mizz won the Big 12 conference championship in 2008-2009 for the first time in School History.

Mizz, like UAB has not won an NCAA tourney game since Mike Anderson's departure.

brutal rebuttal.  Nothing more to say.

-Blu

You also blame Give MA the blame for Kim English's decline. So Mike get zero credit for English going from a 6 ppg player to a 14 ppg player? English just did that with any coaching?

Finally, let look at the schools he has won at. UAB Prior to Mike Anderson hadn't won an NCAA tourney game since 1985-1986 season. Mike won a total of 3 NCAA tourney games when he was there and UAB has not won a NCAA tourney game since he has left (8 years)

dang, you killed him man.  Just drop the mic and walk off, nothing left to say.  +1

Fatty McGee

I would like to see the transcript, because another article referenced the three years, but was talking about Mizzou's program overall.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/18/4967745/mus-alden-will-speak-at-11-tulsa.html

Still, Alden is confident that interest in the Tigers' job will be high because of their facilities and the league, which is set to launch the SEC Network in August.

"I think that we're positioned to be a much stronger program today perhaps than we were three years ago," Alden said, adding that Missouri will not act hastily.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

secfan30

You also Give MA the blame for Kim English's decline. So Mike gets zero credit for English going from a 6 ppg player to a 14 ppg player? English just did that without any coaching?

Finally, let look at the schools he has won at. UAB Prior to Mike Anderson hadn't won an NCAA tourney game since 1985-1986 season. Mike won a total of 3 NCAA tourney games when he was there and UAB has not won an NCAA tourney game since he has left (8 years)

Great response to a fake Razorback Fan.

EastexHawg

I think he's trying to talk up the situation for the next hire.

What did he say when Mike left?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Sharky on April 20, 2014, 02:35:05 am

No one ever accused Missouri fans of being intelligent.