Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem for Slive: African American coaches leaving the SEC for lesser schools?

Started by popcornhog, April 18, 2014, 11:55:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

All this racism talk every time something slightly bad happens to a person of color is really sad. When the first thing someone jumps to is race, it really shows that the person is in fact probably slightly racist themselves.

Why can we all just be judged on our performance and not our actions. Haith and Martin were treated no worse than Pelphrey was at Arkansas. This is just a tough conference that demands performance. Stop whining about race, geez....starting to sound like Obama and Eric Holder.

secfan30

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 18, 2014, 12:14:42 pm
Yes it does. It "seems" that most of the coaches who feel pressure to leave are black. I can't think of any white coach that has left under similar circumstances in the last 5 or 6 years.

Actually what has happened is some people felt the heat, stayed and either succeed or failed and got fired. Others felt the heat and ran.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

popcornhog

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on April 18, 2014, 12:11:22 pm
the fact that they were black seems unrelated to why they left.  But to the PC'ers out there it is always a reason.

Maybe, maybe not.

But the universal theme is black coaches leaving under weird circumstances for lateral or downgraded positions -- without being fired.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 18, 2014, 01:09:23 pm
No white coach has ever been fired in the SEC. It's blatant racism!

[/liberal sarcasm off]

I'm not saying that I agree with the article, but you are certainly missing the entire point.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 18, 2014, 03:41:15 pm
All this racism talk every time something slightly bad happens to a person of color is really sad. When the first thing someone jumps to is race, it really shows that the person is in fact probably slightly racist themselves.

Why can we all just be judged on our performance and not our actions. Haith and Martin were treated no worse than Pelphrey was at Arkansas. This is just a tough conference that demands performance. Stop whining about race, geez....starting to sound like Obama and Eric Holder.

Again, I don't know if I agree with the article. But you're missing the entire point, regardless of whether you agree with it. The guys weren't fired, unlike Pel. They just left. That's the curious part.
WPS

HawgnCorona

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 18, 2014, 03:41:15 pm

Something wrong with freedom of expression? I think you are doing that right now, and well said Im might add. Doesn't make others necessarily racist though.

Otherwise send your concern Mike Silves' email if you really are that concerned about it Ice_Man. It's his article and he obviously is trying avoid a trend.

How many of those left are filled by Black Coaches--not that they have to be. Other than qualified, like all and given the chance to success.

That includes support from Admin as well as the fan base. This was clearly Cuonzos' problem.

Is he making a valid point is the question, if not why not....??
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 18, 2014, 03:22:41 pm
Two coaches left the SEC and they are both black, must be race...  Couldn't be that Cal is better than TN and that  black cloud Haiths' past is following him, no need for the pun intended.

FIFY Beo...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

sickboy

latrops

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 18, 2014, 12:14:42 pm
Yes it does. It "seems" that most of the coaches who feel pressure to leave are black. I can't think of any white coach that has left under similar circumstances in the last 5 or 6 years.

I suppose Pel could have left for Tulsa or UAB a year before Arkansas fired him.....not sure what difference it makes.  I guess you could say the black coaches are smarter than the white coaches in that they are getting out before getting canned where the white guys stick it out to their own detriment.

latrops

Quote from: popcornhog on April 18, 2014, 04:22:25 pm
Maybe, maybe not.

But the universal theme is black coaches leaving under weird circumstances for lateral or downgraded positions -- without being fired.

If they were leaving what, by all accounts, were very positive situations for lesser jobs it would be puzzling and quite a concern.  Ultimately, only Haith's departure is truly surprising.  Every other coach was squarely or figured to soon be onnthe hot seat.  Even Haith's job security was no sure thing beyond nextnyear.

popcornhog

Quote from: latrops on April 18, 2014, 06:58:38 pm
If they were leaving what, by all accounts, were very positive situations for lesser jobs it would be puzzling and quite a concern.  Ultimately, only Haith's departure is truly surprising.  Every other coach was squarely or figured to soon be onnthe hot seat.  Even Haith's job security was no sure thing beyond nextnyear.

You're not necessarily wrong but part of the point is just that perception can hurt even if not reality.
WPS

The_Bionic_Pig

Why does it matter the ethnic background....Most fanbases could care less....it's all about Wins not skin shade.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

98hogs

Haith sucked and rode Mike's coat tail.  Attendance was dropping.  He was smart to leave.  Martin followed Bruce Pearl and was in a no win situation.  No racism.  Just good moves for both.

Hoggish1

A non article and much written about nothing. Forde answers his own questions. If you under perform, that's what happens. 

Getting out before the hot seat burns you up is not a bad idea regardless of what color you are...

latrops

Quote from: popcornhog on April 18, 2014, 07:03:45 pm
You're not necessarily wrong but part of the point is just that perception can hurt even if not reality.

If Forde didn't bring it up....would the "perception" be out there at all?  It just seems that the race is being highlighted rather than the specifics of each situation....driving the perception, in a sense, as opposed to actually examining what likely went on.  JMO.

hoghiker

The number of  African American coaches being pushed out the door is directly related to how many were inside the door. The SEC is a sausage grinder of a league. Coaches get chewed up and spit out. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rusvegashog

How is going to Cal from Tenner a lesser job? Ridiculous article looking to stir up something that is not there.

MountieDawg

Making this a RACE ISSUE is completely STUPID!!!  To call this a RACE ISSUE, you have to spend your day looking for RACE ISSUES....  If a mom quits her job to stay home with the kids is it a race issue?
If you stop running marathons to run 5k's is it a race issue...

This was much more about, I don't know if I can handle the pressure... Haith got out before the posse...  The fans didn't get rid of Pearl the NCAA did... Its hard to replace a fan favorite....
SEC!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: popcornhog on April 18, 2014, 11:55:09 am
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/frank-haith-merely-the-latest-african-american-coach-to-leave-sec-for-lesser-job-060826346.html

In fact, it would be difficult to believe if it didn't perpetuate a trend that should deeply concern Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive. African-American coaches keep leaving his league for lesser jobs.

???  How can this really be a concern for Mike Slive??  I didn't know he hired, fired or had any control of what color the coaches in the SEC are??   What is he suppose to do?  Tell the schools they have to hire more black coaches.....or tell the schools they can't fire black coaches...or they must pay them more money & benefits, so they will not quit & will stay with their SEC jobs? 

The AD's & Administration of each school should be doing what is best for their employer, by trying to maintain the best coach.  If not, that is an internal problem for those particular schools to deal with, not the SEC office.  Each school should be hiring & trying to keep the best coach possible....whatever their skin color.  Hard to imagine any SEC school not trying to do this. Also, can't see the SEC office, running around trying to keep track of the skin color of all the coaches in the league.  This changes nearly every year, with coaches coming & going.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

daprospecta

The late great Patrice O' Neal had an interesting take on this subject.  His thought process was if their are enough black coaches or players in a sport, the race card shouldn't be played unless it's blatant.  I feel the same way honestly.   I watch a lot of cbb and I don't have the exact number but I know there are quite a few black head coaches.  At this point, if your a black coach getting fired, 9/10 it is because of a culmination of fans/attendance/results/boosters and not because of color.