Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why mess with our logo this much?

Started by Ghost of Houston Nutt, April 18, 2014, 09:24:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Houston Nutt

Long time Lurker here...
I really would like to get ya'lls true feelings on this new logo being thrown around the internet. A lot of people said that it was a joke, but now we have "sources" confirming that its authentic. Thoughts?

http://lightlybuzzed.com/2014/04/17/new-logo-arkansas-razorbacks/

Wildhog

It's a secondary logo.  I'm not a huge fan, but it's not a huge deal, either.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Also, there's a whole thread on this.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Mike_e

Have to see it in person.

You can't really tell from that one small jpg.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Ghost of Houston Nutt on April 18, 2014, 09:24:51 am
Long time Lurker here...
I really would like to get ya'lls true feelings on this new logo being thrown around the internet. A lot of people said that it was a joke, but now we have "sources" confirming that its authentic. Thoughts?

http://lightlybuzzed.com/2014/04/17/new-logo-arkansas-razorbacks/

Like most things the consumer will vote with their money whether they like it or not. No harm in trying something new. If you don't like it don't buy product that has the new logo.

PorkRinds

I'll wait til they release it.  The embroidered mini-version isn't going to look that great.

LZH

+1 for the "Ghost of Houston Nutt" idea.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2014, 09:26:48 am
It's a secondary logo.  I'm not a huge fan, but it's not a huge deal, either.
Apparently it is a big deal. When Frank Broyles people started cranking out secondary logos there was an immediate negative reaction. I know fans that were willing to drop their contributions to Hog athletics they were so ticked off. We don't see too much of the popcorn or dinosaur Hogs these days.

Sometimes doing a little research can reveal a lot. I'm surprised this is happening again under a different athletics administration staff.

Wildhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2014, 09:47:16 am
Apparently it is a big deal. When Frank Broyles people started cranking out secondary logos there was an immediate negative reaction. I know fans that were willing to drop their contributions to Hog athletics they were so ticked off. We don't see too much of the popcorn or dinosaur Hogs these days.

Sometimes doing a little research can reveal a lot. I'm surprised this is happening again under a different athletics administration staff.

Arkansans being melodramatic dumbasses is nothing new.  They'll get over it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2014, 09:48:28 am

+1

TrueBlue

twistitup

Why is it cross-eyed?

Guess we are trying to be all inclusive
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

LZH

Is it the end of the world?......no.  But how is it OK with ya'll to keep over-messing with the Razorback brand?  I mean, how many versions of Texas' Longhorn, or USC's Trojan, or LSU's Tiger do you see?

I know, I know, it's only a hat.

PorkRinds

I love how people are already butt hurt having not even seen the logo.  A secondary logo at that.  Just goes to show, in Arkansas there's always a reason to gripe about the razorbacks. 

Wildhog

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 18, 2014, 09:57:06 am
Is it the end of the world?......no.  But how is it OK with ya'll to keep over-messing with the Razorback brand?  I mean, how many versions of Texas' Longhorn, or USC's Trojan, or LSU's Tiger do you see?

I mean, I don't like all the messing with the brand, either.  But I guess I just can't bring myself to get too worked up over it, especially when we've got MUUUUCH bigger problems. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2014, 09:48:28 am
I remember hearing one of Frank's key people saying that too. He's not
working at the U of A anymore. He was fired.

PorkRinds

Is it the end of the world?......no.  But how is it OK with ya'll to keep over-messing with the Razorback brand? I mean, how many versions of Texas' Longhorn, or USC's Trojan, or LSU's Tiger do you see?

Quite a few actually...

http://www.google.com/#q=LSU+tiger+logos

http://www.google.com/#q=texas+longhorns+logos

http://www.google.com/#q=usc+trojans+logos

So yeah, looks like every school has multiple logos.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2014, 10:00:31 am

Mike, you're the last guy I expected to be over reacting about this.  The logo isn't even released yet.  One grainy picture from the back of a hat, and we're talking about people getting fired for previous logo faux-pax? 

Wildhog

People are fired for making sense all the time.  Especially in Arkansas.

1909/1964/1965/1977

jb11

At least there is no popcorn coming out its nose!

Hog Fan...DOH!

How does something stupid and comical like that make it out of committee?  And ya, other programs have different logos- that's fine.  If this thing actually looked good nobody would mind. 

EastexHawg

That warms my heart even though it happened years ago.  Good riddance.

The difference is Coach Broyles, while from Georgia, lived and breathed the Razorbacks...the traditions, the history, the brand, everything about them.  For him it wasn't just a job, it was a life.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on April 18, 2014, 10:10:28 am
How does something stupid and comical like that make it out of committee?  And ya, other programs have different logos- that's fine.  If this thing actually looked good nobody would mind.

You do realize no one has actually seen the logo yet right?  All that's been seen is a grainy image embroidered mini sized on the back of a hat.  Can we not wait til we've actually seen the logo before we get upset?  I mean, I hate to ruin a good old fashioned outrage party, but we could reserve judgment until we've actually seen the logo.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 18, 2014, 10:13:43 am
That warms my heart even though it happened years ago.  Good riddance.

The difference is Coach Broyles, while from Georgia, lived and breathed the Razorbacks...the traditions, the history, the brand, everything about them.  For him it wasn't just a job, it was a life.

Yep. Sometimes he was guilty of mother hening the football coach a bit too much. (Holtz and Hatfield). But he lived and breathed CARDINAL red and white.
This is my non-signature signature.

Wildhog

I'll bring the pitchforks.  FCJ can bring the carpetbagger.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2014, 10:15:37 am
You do realize no one has actually seen the logo yet right?  All that's been seen is a grainy image embroidered mini sized on the back of a hat.  Can we not wait til we've actually seen the logo before we get upset?  I mean, I hate to ruin a good old fashioned outrage party, but we could reserve judgment until we've actually seen the logo.

LOL, HV burning couches, firing people, and withholding donations over a yet to be seen secondary logo. You got to love the people on here.

arkbadger

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2014, 09:47:16 am

like most shiny new things there will be an initial push of it out the gate and people will buy it.  Jeff Long see's things in $$$$$$ first, this has been obvious throughout his tenure.  sometimes it is good, sometimes it isn't so great.  the logo at center court of BWA is the first that comes to mind.  it's another chance at a cash grab the way I see it.  maybe it will work, the last time he tried it seemed to work out ok (Never Yield).
You can keep that skoal baby.

Ghost of Houston Nutt

I am not a fan of this logo. It looks almost exactly like the 90's Chicago Bulls hat. Front facing Bull, all squished-up. Plus, the wording font on the front is awful, just awful. I love what Jeff Long has done for this school, he has helped bring us out of the stone ages, pretty much, but I feel like this re-branding and logo change, along with the color change, going from cardinal to more of an almost A&M color, is like Jeff Long doesn't understand tradition and the pride that we Alumni and life-long fans hold so dear.

My opinion, I hate it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ghost of Houston Nutt on April 18, 2014, 10:22:02 am
I am not a fan of this logo. It looks almost exactly like the 90's Chicago Bulls hat. Front facing Bull, all squished-up. Plus, the wording font on the front is awful, just awful. I love what Jeff Long has done for this school, he has helped bring us out of the stone ages, pretty much, but I feel like this re-branding and logo change, along with the color change, going from cardinal to more of an almost A&M color, is like Jeff Long doesn't understand tradition and the pride that we Alumni and life-long fans hold so dear.

My opinion, I hate it.

My opinion, you're over reacting and coming from a place of not understanding what's actually going on. That's ok, but it means you're just spinning your wheels for no reason. Our colors aren't changing.  And there is no rebranding. Its a secondary logo.

CallThemHawgs!

1) Looks like ass

2) Maroon is for women

3) Looks like ass

4) That maroon color looks cheap as hell, like the off brand Razorback gear from Wal Mart

... Jeff Long messing with more stuff, go figure.

LZH

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on April 18, 2014, 10:10:28 am

Yeah, I'd like to know who OK's stuff like this in the first place.  Long?  I would call this over-branding, and just can't imagine how this kind of thing could be a good idea.

When the uniform changes came out, I didn't care for them and said so.  Of course, I was laughed at as a get-off-my-lawn-tuck-in-your-polo-shirt-missionary-position-only Republican-type 46 year old stuck-up dude who was against any change.  That ain't me - I promise.  But, I just don't see how constantly fooling with the Razorback image or whatever is anything but bad for business in the long run.  I don't know how it wouldn't de-value what's already a very unique and national brand.

ricepig

Quote from: Ghost of Houston Nutt on April 18, 2014, 10:22:02 am

My opinion, I hate it.

Have you liked the last few years uniform's colors? If so, then you'll love these, they're the same. As an alum, I've seen the color change for 40 years to some minute degree.

Wildhog

Every time I feel down about our branding, I see the Ole Miss black/brown/rebel bears and feel better.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 18, 2014, 10:24:57 am
Yeah, I'd like to know who OK's stuff like this in the first place.  Long?  I would call this over-branding, and just can't imagine how this kind of thing could be a good idea.

When the uniform changes came out, I didn't care for them and said so.  Of course, I was laughed at as a get-off-my-lawn-tuck-in-your-polo-shirt-missionary-position-only Republican-type 46 year old stuck-up dude who was against any change.  That ain't me - I promise.  But, I just don't see how constantly fooling with the Razorback image or whatever is anything but bad for business in the long run.  I don't know how it wouldn't de-value what's already a very unique and national brand.

The better question is how WOULD it devalue the brand?  One secondary logo and normalizing the colors across merchandise is gonna kill the brand?  Come on.

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2014, 10:29:45 am
Every time I feel down about our branding, I see the Ole Miss black/brown/rebel bears and feel better.

Ha!  You're right.  Now THAT is a mess.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2014, 10:30:18 am
The better question is how WOULD it devalue the brand?  One secondary logo and normalizing the colors across merchandise is gonna kill the brand?  Come on.

One secondary logo is fine.  But this is one more added to....how many have we seen over the years?

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2014, 10:30:18 am

I appreciate you fighting the good fight, but no matter what you type, those opposed don't listen. I mean, why wait until it's actually unveiled, just shoot the product and the messenger, it fits their agenda better.

I'll withhold judgment until I actually see the product on more than the back of a black hat I wasn't going to buy anyway.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 18, 2014, 10:33:05 am
One secondary logo is fine.  But this is one more added to....how many have we seen over the years?

And how many of those have devalued the brand?  It's worth more now than it ever has been, so how did those specifically devalue the brand?  As someone else said, it's likely an attempt to have a vertical logo instead of a horizontal logo, which makes printing and such easier.  I just fail to see why it's a huge deal.  Did it devalue LSU, USC, and Texas when got secondary logos, of which there have been many? 

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on April 18, 2014, 10:34:22 am
I appreciate you fighting the good fight, but no matter what you type, those opposed don't listen. I mean, why wait until it's actually unveiled, just shoot the product and the messenger, it fits their agenda better.

I'll withhold judgment until I actually see the product on more than the back of a black hat I wasn't going to buy anyway.

You're obviously right.  Sometimes I just get sucked into the negativity when I should just back away slowly...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: twistitup on April 18, 2014, 09:56:31 am
Why is it cross-eyed?

Guess we are trying to be all inclusive

Thanks for noticing... +1

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 18, 2014, 10:24:50 am
1) Looks like ass

2) Maroon is for women

3) Looks like ass

4) That maroon color looks cheap as hell, like the off brand Razorback gear from Wal Mart

... Jeff Long messing with more stuff, go figure.

1. Logo does suck

2. Writer is wrong about color, and continues to make the same mistake others have.

3. Logo does indeed suck

4. See # two and quit hating on Long...

+1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2014, 10:36:07 am
And how many of those have devalued the brand?  It's worth more now than it ever has been, so how did those specifically devalue the brand?

I'm not sure there's any way of actually knowing.  And when I said de-value or cheapens, I guess I wasn't necessarily talking about money - which is probably pretty silly...'cause I reckon money is all that matters at the end of the day, anyway.  If all these little cartoon Razorbacks didn't sell hats and T-shirts, there wouldn't be any point.  My point, though, is there needs to be a line in there somewhere.  How much is that worth?  I don't know.

razorback44

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 18, 2014, 10:33:05 am

Well we don't have any other secondary logos currently so this is one more added to zero. 

So according to your own words this logo is fine.  Time to lock this thread up and move along.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

ricepig

Quote from: razorback44 on April 18, 2014, 10:50:23 am
Well we don't have any other secondary logos currently so this is one more added to zero. 

So according to your own words this logo is fine.  Time to lock this thread up and move along.

That's just way overboard on the number of secondary logos, don't you know anything!!

LZH

Quote from: razorback44 on April 18, 2014, 10:50:23 am

Anything other than this logo is a secondary logo, and Arkansas has had dozens over the years.

razorback44

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 18, 2014, 10:53:17 am

Anything other than this logo is a secondary logo, and Arkansas has had dozens over the years.

Congrats, every school has had multiple secondary logos over the year.  That's kind of the point of secondary logos.  That still doesn't change the face that we only have one currently.

Hell, LSU is using four different logos right now.  You should be happy that we only have two.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

PorkRinds

Quote from: razorback44 on April 18, 2014, 10:57:22 am
Congrats, every school has had multiple secondary logos over the year.  That's kind of the point of secondary logos.  That still doesn't change the face that we only have one currently.

Hell, LSU is using four different logos right now.  You should be happy that we only have two.

Technically we only have one right now, because the second one hasn't been released yet... ;D

LZH

One last thing and I gotta go.

Why doesn't Coca-Cola or Apple or Ford change their logos every few years?  It's about brand recognition, isn't it?  If they changed their logo, would they make any less money?...I don't know.  But you don't see all kinds of secondary Coke or Apple or Ford logos in their ads.  To me, the more versions of that Razorback there are, the less impact the one on that helmet has.

LZH

Quote from: razorback44 on April 18, 2014, 10:57:22 am

Two?  What's popcorn hog?  What's slobberin' hog?  What's the hog in the 'A'?  What's the hog leaning against the 'A'?  If you're gonna argue and be condescending about it, make it good.

RazorPiggie

I thought this whole thing was because of Nike and not our athletic department?