Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Missouri Opening

Started by Porked Tongue, April 17, 2014, 05:24:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

This will be a fun search too.

I figure we'll hear Melvin Watkins mentioned.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 17, 2014, 05:24:29 pm

I highly doubt that.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Porked Tongue

Mentioned being the key word.

chiefhawg

Absolutely no way. Watkins is linked to Anderson as far as Mizzou is concerned.

PharmacistHog

Won't be too damn fun if they get Greg Marshall. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Scott7703

Any chance we are lucky enough to see TJ Cleveland get the gig!

I know there isn't but it would be good for arkansas if it happened.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: chiefhawg on April 17, 2014, 05:27:01 pm
Absolutely no way. Watkins is linked to Anderson as far as Mizzou is concerned.
I can believe that but I think Watkins wants to be a HC again.  I don't think he'll stay at Arkansas as Anderson's assistant for that much longer.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 17, 2014, 05:28:06 pm
Some good coaches are setting pretty good as the arms race heats up.  The price just went up all around.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 17, 2014, 05:32:15 pm
Some good coaches are setting pretty good as the arms race heats up.  The price just went up all around.

I'll miss Haith.  He was one of those guys you just love to hate. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

OnTheHillHogFan

If Watkins goes to Mizzu we can say good bye to Jimmy Whitt coming here.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

k.c.hawg

I'm sorry but Melvin Watkins hasn't really done anything to land another head coaching job above a reaching mid major. He's making $350k per year and many lower mid majors will be reaching to pay that. I like Melvin Watkins and I hope he does get another job but he has fallen into that too old to be an up and comer and carries the baggage of having been a major failure at A&M as a head coach. Alden took major heat for hiring Haith....he would get fired for mentioning Melvin Watkins name.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 17, 2014, 05:28:06 pm

Their coach just left for Tulsa. Why would Gregg Marshall be interested if he wasn't interested in Marquette or California? Heck, Marshall would probably go to Tennessee over Missouri.

yraciv

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 17, 2014, 05:31:13 pm
I can believe that but I think Watkins wants to be a HC again.  I don't think he'll stay at Arkansas as Anderson's assistant for that much longer.

I think he is perfectly happy where he is, and won't move until his son is no longer on the team.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 17, 2014, 05:40:32 pm
I'm sorry but Melvin Watkins hasn't really done anything to land another head coaching job above a reaching mid major. He's making $350k per year and many lower mid majors will be reaching to pay that. I like Melvin Watkins and I hope he does get another job but he has fallen into that too old to be an up and comer and carries the baggage of having been a major failure at A&M as a head coach. Alden took major heat for hiring Haith....he would get fired for mentioning Melvin Watkins name.

Melvin Watkins is the best recruiter we have on staff....you might want to re - think your statement.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

pigture perfect

Pel will probably be looking to get back to being an HC, wouldn't be surprised to see him mentioned.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Porked Tongue

Quote from: yraciv on April 17, 2014, 07:14:13 pm
I think he is perfectly happy where he is, and won't move until his son is no longer on the team.
He is happy but if he did find a job as HC you would have to concede that his son would go with him.  I don't want either to go.

To clarify a bit on the MO job I only meant that his name would surface.  Not that he was the best or leading candidate.  My bad for not putting it better.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 17, 2014, 07:17:51 pm
Melvin Watkins is the best recruiter we have on staff....you might want to re - think your statement.

What is there to rethink? He was always an outstanding recruiter. He recruited 8 Top 100 players to A&M which was unheard of. Yet he had seasons of 7 wins, 8 wins, 10 wins, 10 wins, 12 wins and 14 wins. Then the guy comes in behind him and with most of his players goes 21 wins, 22 wins and 27 wins. I like Melvin Watkins and think as I said, he is in the perfect position to utilize what he is best at, being someones top assistant, adding head coaching experience to the staff and being a good recruiter.  I think he would also be a possible target for a low mid major with budget restraints and might be able to recreate his Charlotte success. But any power conference school with basketball aspirations and a matching basketball budget are not coming after a guy that got a 6 year audition at a power conference school and produced 61 wins. It's not a knock on Melvin Watkins, some guys are great coordinators, some guys are a great #1 assistant....those are great jobs and in themselves put you at a very high level in your profession.

Sawyer

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 17, 2014, 07:05:36 pm
Their coach just left for Tulsa. Why would Gregg Marshall be interested if he wasn't interested in Marquette or California? Heck, Marshall would probably go to Tennessee over Missouri.

Marquette is in a shell of the Big East. Marshall wasn't interested in them for the same reason Buzz left them for Virginia Tech.

California is on the west coast and an academic school. Marshall is an east coast/southern guy, so it's not a good cultural fit, and he's relied heavily on juco players, which probably wouldn't fly at Cal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he preferred Tennessee over Missouri, but Missouri would probably be higher on his list than the other two.

Watkins, Cleveland and Pelphrey aren't even close to the conversation.

Pigsrus

Mizzou's athletic department is financially MUCH better off than Tenn.  If they cut loose a $2.5M offer they could drag Marshall in.  Will be interesting to see

Lots of Norm Stewart fans will be pushing for his former assistant that just won the D2 Natty at Central Missouri.

Sawyer

Quote from: Pigsrus on April 17, 2014, 08:33:50 pm
Mizzou's athletic department is financially MUCH better off than Tenn.  If they cut loose a $2.5M offer they could drag Marshall in.  Will be interesting to see

Lots of Norm Stewart fans will be pushing for his former assistant that just won the D2 Natty at Central Missouri.

Kim Anderson has been the top choice of a lot of Mizzou fans for each of our last three openings. Coming off a DII title, he's positioned as well now as he's ever been, but at this point that ship has likely sailed. Probably too old for serious consideration.

Slater

In Columbia (family) as we speak
Hotttttt names
Howland
Altman- Can't deny he is great coach, his family misses the midwest, might take it?
Smart- If he turns down UCLA why would he choose MU?

fallback is Kim Anderson from Central Missouri who would take job and would stay
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Big Nasty 34

Didn't someone say Kim wouldn't take the job because he got spurned  years ago?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: ZoneBuster34 on April 17, 2014, 09:30:24 pm
Didn't someone say Kim wouldn't take the job because he got spurned  years ago?

Yes. Jeff Goodman of ESPN said when contacted Anderson said he knew when he was passed over for Mike Anderson he would never take it if offered. That being said he probably doesn't have a clue what would come out of his mouth if that call came. But that call won't be coming.

pigture perfect

I think it will most likely be a surprise. I was surprised by the hiring of Haith.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Breems

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 17, 2014, 10:17:29 pm
I think it will most likely be a surprise. I was surprised by the hiring of Haith.

They would seriously have to do months of research and ignore any sensible external advice to make a hire as surprising as Haith.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dwight_K_Shrute

Howland would be a huge upgrade over Haith.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

secfan30

They had better talent when they hired Haith then they do now. I'm guessing the surprise would be how low they went with the next hire.

nextlevel

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 17, 2014, 10:42:25 pm
Howland would be a huge upgrade over Haith.

That is a dangerous limb you are going out on...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

High Octane Hog

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 17, 2014, 07:50:32 pm
Pel will probably be looking to get back to being an HC, wouldn't be surprised to see him mentioned.
I just can't help it, I know Pelphrey gave Arkansas his best, but every time I think of him I just have to chuckle. Good lord please let Mizzou hire Pel, please!!  ;D

Nipsey Mussle

Our fans think Arkansas people are in line for every single coaching position. This past football offseason was the first in memory that Malzahn wasn't a candidate for every available coaching position, as reported on Hogville.

It won't be Watkins, Cleveland, and definitely not Pel. Their names won't surface, except on Hogville.

Mizzou has a great deal of money they can allocate to a HC but would a guy like Marshall come in to a situation where the best returning scorer averaged like 6 a game?

I can tell Mizzou fans are starting to believe it's going to be Marshall or another top guy. If it's someone the caliber of Haith...oh boy.

Breems

Greg Marshall is the new Jon Gruden.

Everyone thinks they have some sort of connection with him that will finally break him from his comfort zone.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hawg66

Quote from: Breems on April 18, 2014, 12:43:25 am
Greg Marshall is the new Jon Gruden.

Everyone thinks they have some sort of connection with him that will finally break him from his comfort zone.

I think he's more like Chris Petersen at Boise.  He's got a great situation where he is.  Mizzou though, truthfully, is alot like the Washington job was for Petersen.  A great school with big potential in an area he's comfortable with.  It's in his wheelhouse, so to speak.  I think it'll take $3 million to get him, if then.

hhicNaychaBoi

why did haith leave? was he fired?

MatCauthon

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on April 18, 2014, 07:47:09 am
why did haith leave? was he fired?

No but the writing was on the wall. Another mediocre season next year and he was gone

farmhawg

am I the only one that finds that hilarious? Who's head coach leaves to go to Tulsa? 8)
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Inhogswetrust

I was shocked that Mizzou hired him. I'm even more shocked Tulsa did.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

I was shocked that Mizzou hired him. I'm even more shocked Tulsa did.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Mizzou hired him because other coaches turned them down.   This move isn't surprising from the Haith side.  He didn't have full support from his AD or the fans at Mizzou.  It's never seemed to be working and stable there in his 3 seasons.  His roster was turned over after one season, a head case of a PG he inherited caused a number of losses in season 2 and 3 came with transfers not quite living up to their potential as a team.  Taking jobs is about timing.  The Mizzou job was setup as risky because of the imbalance in scholarships left behind by Mike and a team who appeared to have quit on Mike at the end of his tenure there.  It could have been seen as an opportunity by some coaches to get to mold the program quickly into what they wanted with all of the available scholarships in their first full recruiting class and with getting a team capable of winning in season 1.  Obviously it wasn't though with them ending up with a coach looking to bail from the Miami situation.  Then Haith decided to take transfers, talented transfers, to keep winning instead of rebuilding with recruits.  When you don't feel you have the support of your AD or the fans, you should look to leave.  Haith was fortunate to find another landing spot.

I don't like this from the TU side except they are at least getting someone with head coaching experience in major conferences as they step up in competition.  I think they should have stuck to their roots and hired an assistant.  South Florida made a great hire in Antigua.  Too bad timing wise, TU didn't have the opportunity to go after him. 

As far as Arkansas assistants, will Anderson have an assistant get a major college coaching job?  He is reaching the point in his career where he should start seeing his tree at least sprout a limb. 

Mizzou has money, facilities and can draw recruits and its in a conference without a lot of good teams setting up an opportunity for success.  It is a good job.  I haven't looked to see how it is setup from a roster standpoint.  Will be interesting to see the perception of SEC basketball from candidates.  Could the conference's officiating and home vs road make the opening less attractive?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: farmhawg on April 18, 2014, 08:36:09 am
am I the only one that finds that hilarious? Who's head coach leaves to go to Tulsa? 8)
This is amazing and I love it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

doc53

Too bad Haith left. Next coach will most likely be a better one.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

Dwight_K_Shrute

All in all we should want Missouri to be a good basketball school.  The league needs quality depth and that was not happening with Alphonso Ribeiro.  Competing against good teams will only make our team better.  Recruiting against good coaches will only make our coaches better.  Playing against good opponents will only make games at BWA better/more exciting.  That's why almost every d*** SEC football game is exciting. It's like playing a bowl game every week.

Was the league this pile of suck when we won the NC?  No it was a strong/deep basketball league with good coaches, lots of talent and a lot of guys going to the NBA.

I hope they do hire Marshall it would be fun going against them.  If they can't land him they should go over a strong mid major guy that has 4 year or more track record of success.  Haith was a desperationo hire and mistake to begin with.  He was not an up and comer, but rather a water treader.  How the hell could he even impress someone at the interview especially sitting on a phone book.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 18, 2014, 09:10:26 am
Mizzou hired him because other coaches turned them down.   This move isn't surprising from the Haith side.  He didn't have full support from his AD or the fans at Mizzou.  It's never seemed to be working and stable there in his 3 seasons.  His roster was turned over after one season, a head case of a PG he inherited caused a number of losses in season 2 and 3 came with transfers not quite living up to their potential as a team.  Taking jobs is about timing. 

The head case of a point guard is playing pretty good for the Boston Celtics this month. I would take that head case in a razorback uniform any day. The people never really wanted Haith at Missouri and I think Haith made the best move for his career.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 18, 2014, 09:29:12 am
The head case of a point guard is playing pretty good for the Boston Celtics this month. I would take that head case in a razorback uniform any day. The people never really wanted Haith at Missouri and I think Haith made the best move for his career.

He may be but he made a lot of horrible mistakes in late game situations at Mizzou leading to losses. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 18, 2014, 09:28:51 am
All in all we should want Missouri to be a good basketball school.  The league needs quality depth and that was not happening with Alphonso Ribeiro.  Competing against good teams will only make our team better.  Recruiting against good coaches will only make our coaches better.  Playing against good opponents will only make games at BWA better/more exciting.  That's why almost every d*** SEC football game is exciting. It's like playing a bowl game every week.

Was the league this pile of suck when we won the NC?  No it was a strong/deep basketball league with good coaches, lots of talent and a lot of guys going to the NBA.

I hope they do hire Marshall it would be fun going against them.  If they can't land him they should go over a strong mid major guy that has 4 year or more track record of success.  Haith was a desperationo hire and mistake to begin with.  He was not an up and comer, but rather a water treader.  How the hell could he even impress someone at the interview especially sitting on a phone book.

Yes, the conference's product needs to improve and it would help all programs.  Thousands of empty seats in the middle of conference play even at some of the better supported programs combined with games that settle into FT shooting contests makes for a less attractive product. 

thegrizz

Better odds of Kate Upton throwing herself at me.

Smithian

This was a quality troll post.

dgfclt

Mentioned and dismissed in the same paragraph.

dgfclt

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 18, 2014, 09:12:53 am
This is amazing and I love it.

One whose boss doesn't have his back and not giving him an extension.

Surprised::::  That he left MO and that Tulsa hired him.