Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Herb's work on Chris Smith

Started by Slimac4, April 17, 2014, 12:24:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slimac4

Chris is coming into NFL form. Stole this from his Instagram. Hope coach Herb is having this kind've success with all our guys!

[attachment deleted by admin]

CallThemHawgs!

Well he is clearly sweaty/post workout/flexing in one, and not in the other. But impressive none the less. Dude is a specimen.

ldfergu

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on April 17, 2014, 12:27:20 pm
Well he is clearly sweaty/post workout/flexing in one, and not in the other. But impressive none the less. Dude is a specimen.

Yeah it's not that crazy. I'm sure there are better before and after photos. Nonetheless CS is a beast!

Slimac4

What I think is most impressive is the gains in his legs. They may be flexed but they're a lot thicker than they were in the before.

PorkRinds

Quote from: JMACbleedred on April 17, 2014, 12:34:54 pm
What I think is most impressive is the gains in his legs. They may be flexed but they're a lot thicker than they were in the before.

If Chris himself is posting this and is impressed with the gains he's made, I'd just trust his judgment over the pictures.

hogwild210

He is flexing, but he has very clearly added substantial mass all over.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

GalaHawg

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

secneahog

Quote from: JMACbleedred on April 17, 2014, 12:24:09 pm
Chris is coming into NFL form. Stole this from his Instagram. Hope coach Herb is having this kind've success with all our guys!

Pump or not his lower body mass is very different.

I know Bielema said Herbert focuses a lot on lower body, core and back. Glad to see guys getting right.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

trashcan maN

Choctaw Hog

And lets all ignore Smith's comments about Herbert. That's too positive for some.

Dr. Starcs

You mean Coach Heber?

Impressive nonetheless.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Pigsknuckles

Legs, abs, pecs, lats can be put on just about anybody. It's the look on his face that tells me he believes.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Pork Twain

I hope he does more than tell him to change his underwear and flex
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hoggish1

Quote from: JMACbleedred on April 17, 2014, 12:34:54 pm

Yep.  It's the most clear improvement.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Coach Herb is the best. It easy to see why he has putt so many into the NFL.

secneahog

Every time a player is asked about their lifting numbers they always first point out their squat and dead lift.

Herb is getting their base huge.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

bennyl08

Quote from: secneahog on April 17, 2014, 09:59:49 pm
Every time a player is asked about their lifting numbers they always first point out their squat and dead lift.

Herb is getting their base huge.

Isn't that what every person who lifts weight would start with?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawgmasta

I hope nobody looks over my shoulder as I'm seeing this. .

clew

Not to beat a dead horse, but there are definitely a couple of camera things going on with this. The positioning/flexing of arms, chest and legs make it difficult to discern improvements. In addition, the 1) camera is slightly closer in the second photo and 2) the camera is pointed more at the floor in the first photo. The first differential obviously makes him appear larger. The second one is a little more sneaky--tilting the perspective just a bit makes his legs appear smaller than his chest. Straightening it out for the second shot plus being a hair closer does a double whammy in the appearance of his lower body. Haven't looked at any more of these to see if it's standard practice.
Pure as the dawn

RNHog

Quote from: Camera Hog on April 18, 2014, 04:18:41 am
Not to beat a dead horse, but there are definitely a couple of camera things going on with this. The positioning/flexing of arms, chest and legs make it difficult to discern improvements. In addition, the 1) camera is slightly closer in the second photo and 2) the camera is pointed more at the floor in the first photo. The first differential obviously makes him appear larger. The second one is a little more sneaky--tilting the perspective just a bit makes his legs appear smaller than his chest. Straightening it out for the second shot plus being a hair closer does a double whammy in the appearance of his lower body. Haven't looked at any more of these to see if it's standard practice.

Hogville optimism at it's finest right here folks.

clew

Lol. Didn't say a single negative thing about the player and my post has ZERO to do with optimism.  I think he's a great player in great physical shape. I know a little bit about cameras, lenses, and angle distortion and pointed facts out that most people would miss.

Quote from: RNHog on April 18, 2014, 05:46:55 am
Pure as the dawn

Choctaw Hog

April 18, 2014, 07:03:32 am #26 Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:28:22 am by Choctaw Hog
Quote from: Camera Hog on April 18, 2014, 06:28:49 am
Lol. Didn't say a single negative thing about the player and my post has ZERO to do with optimism.  I think he's a great player in great physical shape. I know a little bit about cameras, lenses, and angle distortion and pointed facts out that most people would miss.

And you are just like a bad manager who always points out the negatives in people's work and ignores the positives.  Instead of trying to impress us with your "camera knowledge" why didn't you just make a positive comment about Smith's comments about Herbert and comment on the photos for what they are, proof of impressive work in short order.  Nah, that's way too positive for you and those like you. 

And with all your "camera knowledge" you miss the most obvious tactic.  Wearing black or dark colors makes one appear "thinner".  But wait.  Chris was wearing balk in the after photos so he must really be bigger than he appears in the photo.  I know that doesn't fit your agenda but you will have a difficult time explaining that away.  Must be the lighting. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: RNHog on April 18, 2014, 05:46:55 am
It is hard to find anyone on here more optimistic than me, but this guy is right on the money with these photos.  People slamming others for just pointing out the obvious is pretty sad and you are just as bad as the overly negative people.  It goes both ways...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Chief Mac

and while you may have a very valid point, some of us know a little about exercise science.  While it can be pointed out that Smith is flexing a bit in the "after" shot, there is discernible difference in bulk in his quads as well as loss of body fat around his pecs and abs.  Herbert, as some in this thread have pointed out, has had Smith doing some serious leg work
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

trashcan maN

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2014, 11:41:33 pm
Isn't that what every person who lifts weight would start with?
I think bench is the standard measuring stick for gym bros

clew

Good gravy. I absolutely didn't mention the positives...they had already been mentioned. Look, I get tired of people who constantly derail thread after thread with their obvious hate for our coach, those who slam players because they hate the coach, and all those who are negative just to be negative. I also get annoyed with Pollyannas--granted some of you are just so tired of the negativity you have a hair trigger.  Sorry I peed in your Cheerios.
Pure as the dawn

PorkRinds

Quote from: Camera Hog on April 18, 2014, 07:43:12 am
Good gravy. I absolutely didn't mention the positives...they had already been mentioned. Look, I get tired of people who constantly derail thread after thread with their obvious hate for our coach, those who slam players because they hate the coach, and all those who are negative just to be negative. I also get annoyed with Pollyannas--granted some of you are just so tired of the negativity you have a hair trigger.  Sorry I peed in your Cheerios.

You're good bro.  You just got hung up in the crossfire for a bit.  ;)

Craig O Squeal

Here's an idea...let's have all the naysayers post their photos in nothing but their skivvies and let Hogville dissect the pics. I'm sure we're ALL built as well as CS (heavy sarcasm). Half of the haters I wonder if they could even get their gut in the shot..."Dang Harold, I didn't even know you were wearing a belt in that picture!"

Pork Twain

I never got passed the summer sausage he was trying to hide in his shorts but his quads do look massive in the 2nd picture.  Not much difference in the upper body.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 18, 2014, 07:16:35 am
and while you may have a very valid point, some of us know a little about exercise science.  While it can be pointed out that Smith is flexing a bit in the "after" shot, there is discernible difference in bulk in his quads as well as loss of body fat around his pecs and abs.  Herbert, as some in this thread have pointed out, has had Smith doing some serious leg work
Come on Christopher...  Just because they don't agree with you does not mean you know more than them.

hogwild210

As a certified strength coach, I know a little about strength and conditioning. Chris has made some noticeable, impressive gains that have nothing to do with the camera.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

Chief Mac

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 18, 2014, 08:15:52 am
I never got passed the summer sausage he was trying to hide in his shorts but his quads do look massive in the 2nd picture.  Not much difference in the upper body.

LOL!  Yeah, upper body does look as if he just shed body fat (which is natural with additional mass) but does not have much, if any growth.  That might be by design as he looks like he already had very good upper body muscle. 

With Smith's height disadvantage (based on average NFL DE),  he is going to have to generate more power in order to not be engulfed by NFL OTs that have 3-5 inches on him as well as 40-70 lbs.  Building lower body strength seems like a great idea
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

RNHog

Quote from: Camera Hog on April 18, 2014, 07:43:12 am

Good gravy. I love it! Haha

Chief Mac

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 18, 2014, 08:19:59 am
Come on Christopher...  Just because they don't agree with you does not mean you know more than them.

You're right, I may not know more than them.  I wasn't disagreeing with camerahog on his assessment, just adding that from my perspective based on seeing a lot of "before/after" pictures in relation to strength training, I could see distinct improvement.  :)

Pork Twain

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 18, 2014, 08:54:23 am
You're right, I may not know more than them.  I wasn't disagreeing with camerahog on his assessment, just adding that from my perspective based on seeing a lot of "before/after" pictures in relation to strength training, I could see distinct improvement.  :)

;)

Been10Hog

The "small" apparent difference in pictures could be a 15-20# wt gain when you talk about body as a whole. Love to see people who never played a down of div 1 football post and bring out their "nerd" side!