Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steroid Talk (was Jim "Ultimate Warrior" Helwig passes away today)

Started by PorkRinds, April 09, 2014, 11:43:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

April 09, 2014, 11:43:23 am Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:38:56 pm by Doug "Bear" Hazard
Let's be honest.  These guys die young because most of them pumped up on roids for a couple of decades.

hvsupastar

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2014, 11:43:23 am
Let's be honest.  These guys die young because most of them pumped up on roids for a couple of decades.

You are misinformed

Steroids have never killed anybody. Nobody did more steroids than Billy Graham and even though he has had to have several fusions and transplants he is still alive.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2014, 11:43:23 am

lets be honest, people die at all ages because that's what happens to people, they die.  Young, old, fat, skinny, in shape, obese, and everything in between.  A thousand 54 yr olds will die in a short amount of time, it just so happens this one was somewhat famous.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Eddie Goodson

Multiple concussions, steroids, beating their bodies up 300 days a year on top of drugs and alcohol use take years off these guys lives. To suggest that steroid abuse doesn't destroy organs and shorten your life is silly.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

hogsanity

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on April 09, 2014, 12:55:35 pm
Multiple concussions, steroids, beating their bodies up 300 days a year on top of drugs and alcohol use take years off these guys lives. To suggest that steroid abuse doesn't destroy organs and shorten your life is silly

Not suggesting that at all.  Just see no reason for anyone ( not saying you ) to pile on that boat right now is pointless.  I had a friend drop dead earlier this year of a heart attack, mid 40's, non-smoker, non-drinker, was carrying maybe 15 lbs too many. Regardless of cause, it is just sad.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boll Hawg

Multiple concussions, steroids, beating their bodies up 300 days a year on top of drugs and alcohol use take years off these guys lives. To suggest that steroid abuse doesn't destroy organs and shorten your life is silly.

Co-signed!
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

hvsupastar

Steroid abuse does, Steroid use does not. Whose to say the Warrior was an abuser?  Steroid use is scientifically proven to improve quality of life.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Eddie Goodson

Anyone taking steroids solely to build muscle is abusing them. If your body naturally needed the extra hormones, it would produce it. There is nothing that suggests longterm use is healthy.

All that said, who is to say that played a role. The man could have had an aneurism and died. We won't know til the coroner says what it is.

It is without dispute that wrestlers force their bodies to do things that have longterm effects. It is a sad part of the business.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

PorkRinds

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 09, 2014, 11:54:31 am
You are misinformed

Steroids have never killed anybody. Nobody did more steroids than Billy Graham and even though he has had to have several fusions and transplants he is still alive.

Say what? You serious clark?

http://www.examiner.com/article/adverse-side-effects-of-steroids-are-real-and-often-fatal

hvsupastar

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2014, 02:55:54 pm
Say what? You serious clark?

http://www.examiner.com/article/adverse-side-effects-of-steroids-are-real-and-often-fatal

There is no scientific data to prove that steroids had to do with any of those deaths. The young boy mentioned, his parents are a huge advocate for the abolishing of steroids, yet he never considers that it may have been the psychological drugs (anti-depressants) or the depression which caused him to take the medication in the first place that led to his suicide.

There have been less than 30 deaths linked to steroids officially in the last 6 years. To say that the Ultimate Warrior passed away due to steroid use when he hadn't been active in wrestling in nearly 20 years is way off base.

PorkRinds

You are misinformed

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 15, 2014, 11:05:14 am
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ultimate-warrior-20140415,0,4923426.story#axzz2yyIK17K1

M.E. reports that he died from Heart Disease. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100427171802.htm

QuoteSource: American Heart Association

Summary:

Long-term anabolic steroid use may weaken the heart more than previously thought, a new study finds. Steroid-related heart impairment is severe enough to potentially increase the risk of heart failure. The left ventricle, the heart muscle primarily responsible for pumping blood throughout the body, was significantly weaker among steroid users

So yeah, what was that about steroids not causing health problems?  When a guy this young, in this kind of shape, who obviously abused steroids for a couple of decades at least, dies of heart disease it's not that much of a stretch to connect the two.  Especially since the AHA disagrees with you about steroid use and says it can cause both heart attacks and heart disease.

hvsupastar

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 15, 2014, 01:48:03 pm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100427171802.htm

So yeah, what was that about steroids not causing health problems?  When a guy this young, in this kind of shape, who obviously abused steroids for a couple of decades at least, dies of heart disease it's not that much of a stretch to connect the two.  Especially since the AHA disagrees with you about steroid use and says it can cause both heart attacks and heart disease.

How much actual research has the AHA done on steroid use. Actual, physical research? I'll give you a hint, it's illegal to do.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 15, 2014, 05:40:02 pm
How much actual research has the AHA done on steroid use. Actual, physical research? I'll give you a hint, it's illegal to do.

So then how can you claim it isn't dangerous? If the studies haven't been done (they have) how can you claim it's harmless? Again, when an otherwise healthy and in shape guy that's fairly young dies of heart disease, and looked like he-man for 20 years, you can connect the dots. It isn't that much of a reach.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 15, 2014, 10:12:18 pm
So then how can you claim it isn't dangerous? If the studies haven't been done (they have) how can you claim it's harmless? Again, when an otherwise healthy and in shape guy that's fairly young dies of heart disease, and looked like he-man for 20 years, you can connect the dots. It isn't that much of a reach.

Same thing got Brad Armstrong at 51
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hvsupastar

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 15, 2014, 10:12:18 pm

Fair point. I can't really say that as fact. My personal belief is that it's the other vices that wrestlers partake in, particularly pain killers and cocaine that destroy their bodies, which often leads to heart trouble amongst other things.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 16, 2014, 12:40:35 am
Fair point. I can't really say that as fact. My personal belief is that it's the other vices that wrestlers partake in, particularly pain killers and cocaine that destroy their bodies, which often leads to heart trouble amongst other things.

But abusing steroids is A-OK?  I mean, didn't UW get in a tussle with WWF about steroid use back in the day?  All I'm saying is that it's obvious the guy was pumping roids for two decades, and now he has heart disease and a weak heart at 50 something years old.  Sure, the pain killers and blow probably didn't help, but to ignore the implications of steroid use by pro wrestlers, and pro bodybuilders (which he was first) is to ignore a huge issue.  These guys aren't like most pro athletes, where they use PED's to heal quicker or get back from injury.  They did it to LOOK like monsters, and at the expense of their own health. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2014, 09:21:42 am
But abusing steroids is A-OK?  I mean, didn't UW get in a tussle with WWF about steroid use back in the day?  All I'm saying is that it's obvious the guy was pumping roids for two decades, and now he has heart disease and a weak heart at 50 something years old.  Sure, the pain killers and blow probably didn't help, but to ignore the implications of steroid use by pro wrestlers, and pro bodybuilders (which he was first) is to ignore a huge issue.  These guys aren't like most pro athletes, where they use PED's to heal quicker or get back from injury.  They did it to LOOK like monsters, and at the expense of their own health. 

It is a SAD SAD Choice THEY made. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mick Hogger

Has the UW ever been accused of using drugs, especialy cocaine? He's always been a health freak from anything I remember about him.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

hvsupastar

On a side note, did anybody catch Nancy Grace blaming OWEN HARTS death on steroids. I hate her.

hvsupastar

Quote from: Mick Hogger on April 16, 2014, 03:48:53 pm
Has the UW ever been accused of using drugs, especialy cocaine? He's always been a health freak from anything I remember about him.

No, I'm just speaking in general. UW could have abused steroids for years, that could have made him have a premature heart attack, but as this point there is no scientific evidence to back it up. Just educated guesses from scientists. UW could just as well of had genetics that were going to equal heart trouble at a late-middle age.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 16, 2014, 10:56:13 pm
No, I'm just speaking in general. UW could have abused steroids for years, that could have made him have a premature heart attack, but as this point there is no scientific evidence to back it up. Just educated guesses from scientists. UW could just as well of had genetics that were going to equal heart trouble at a late-middle age.

It's proven he abused steroids, as he admitted it.  It's proven steroids cause heart disease and heart problems, because the AHA sponsored study proved it.  It's proven he died of a heart attack and heart disease.  So yeah, no one will ever come out and say that's why he died, but let's be real here.  That's why he died.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 17, 2014, 09:40:40 am
It's proven he abused steroids, as he admitted it.  It's proven steroids cause heart disease and heart problems, because the AHA sponsored study proved it.  It's proven he died of a heart attack and heart disease.  So yeah, no one will ever come out and say that's why he died, but let's be real here.  That's why he died.

Really, that's why he died?  You are SURE?  Well, what about my friend I mentioned earlier in this thread, heart attack, mid 40's, never smoked or drank, and was not obese.

Sure steroids could have been the cause, or he could have been genetically pre-disposed to heart disease. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2014, 10:28:58 am
Really, that's why he died?  You are SURE?  Well, what about my friend I mentioned earlier in this thread, heart attack, mid 40's, never smoked or drank, and was not obese.

Sure steroids could have been the cause, or he could have been genetically pre-disposed to heart disease.

Yep, he could have been one of the few people (comparably) that die from genetic heart problems.  Again, those problems would have been made worse by his admitted drug use whether he had the genetic component or not.  Heck, the guy admitted using illegal steroids after he retired.  He was obviously an abuser of them, so it's not a huge stretch to think it led to his heart problems.  Sure, there could have been other factors, but let's not kid ourselves. If someone smokes for 40 years and ends up with lung cancer and emphysema, are we really gonna say "yeah, but it could have just been genetic"?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 17, 2014, 10:50:20 am
Yep, he could have been one of the few people (comparably) that die from genetic heart problems.  Again, those problems would have been made worse by his admitted drug use whether he had the genetic component or not.  Heck, the guy admitted using illegal steroids after he retired.  He was obviously an abuser of them, so it's not a huge stretch to think it led to his heart problems.  Sure, there could have been other factors, but let's not kid ourselves. If someone smokes for 40 years and ends up with lung cancer and emphysema, are we really gonna say "yeah, but it could have just been genetic"?

More folks die from Genetic Heart issues than Modern Medicine would ever admit.  I had a St Vincent Infirmary Cardiologist tell me that.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 17, 2014, 02:12:10 pm
More folks die from Genetic Heart issues than Modern Medicine would ever admit.  I had a St Vincent Infirmary Cardiologist tell me that.

But most of them actually die from exacerbating the effects of their genetics by over eating, sedentary lifestyle, and of course, drugs.  Did he tell you that too?

Murr

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 16, 2014, 10:53:45 pm
On a side note, did anybody catch Nancy Grace blaming OWEN HARTS death on steroids. I hate her.

wut does this have to do with the effects of roids discussion?  Owen died during a failed high wire accident

hvsupastar

Quote from: Murr on April 18, 2014, 10:22:17 pm
wut does this have to do with the effects of roids discussion?  Owen died during a failed high wire accident

Exactly

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Murr on April 18, 2014, 10:22:17 pm

It shows Nancy Grace had a Blond moment.

HiggiePiggy

Nancy grace "the war on women".  She needs to get off the air.  She is all about war on men.  Most of the time she doesn't get any of the facts right about what she is talking about.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Pulled(PP)pork

You are misinformed

thats sacrilage!!  God bless Brother Billy

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2014, 10:28:58 am

** luck or bad genetics, duh

PP