Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Evaluation of our 4th Opponent-NIU (by Bill Connelly)

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 16, 2014, 06:24:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Really lays out the strengths and weaknesses of Northern Illinois and Bill Connelly projects us as the strongest team that they will face all season.

"Most of Northern Illinois' recent strengths will get stronger in 2014; the skill units are overflowing with options, the offensive line is fantastic, and the linebackers are strong. But the defense will still be sketchy, and there's still the matter of one of the best players in MAC history leaving."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/14/5500898/niu-football-2014-preview-schedule-roster
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

These are the stats for Northern Illinois' QB:

Passing:
237 of 384...3,216 yards...28 TDs...6 interceptions

Rushing:
194 carries...1,379 yards...11 TDs

Yep, it's hard to replace a guy who puts up numbers like those. 

Wait...are we talking about Jordan Lynch?  No, those stats were for the QB before Lynch, someone named Chandler Harnish.  That's what he did in 2011.  Jordan Lynch was his backup that year.

It looks like someone has installed a pretty good offensive system for a QB to play in up there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 16, 2014, 07:45:35 am
These are the stats for Northern Illinois' QB:

Passing:
237 of 384...3,216 yards...28 TDs...6 interceptions

Rushing:
194 carries...1,379 yards...11 TDs

Yep, it's hard to replace a guy who puts up numbers like those. 

Wait...are we talking about Jordan Lynch?  No, those stats were for the QB before Lynch, someone named Chandler Harnish.  That's what he did in 2011.  Jordan Lynch was his backup that year.

It looks like someone has installed a pretty good offensive system for a QB to play in up there.

I think that is true but now they have to replace a kid (Lynch) who far surpassed his predecessor. Plus, it appears that they my have some defensive issues.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

We should beat them soundly if our D is as improved as I believe they will be.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2014, 08:06:55 am
I think that is true but now they have to replace a kid (Lynch) who far surpassed his predecessor. Plus, it appears that they my have some defensive issues.

That game is far enough into the schedule that we'll have a good idea of where we stand.  It should be far enough along that what we don't see is one of those "Impose our will" type of stubborn approaches where Chaney/BB don't vary the play calling early to keep them honest and off balance.  That's my fear.  I get that they want to instill in our players that "We're going to commit to, and succeed running the ball," and that they should go into that game expecting to be able to run on NIU, BUT...if that's all any defense has to gear up for, it's playing right into a lesser talented team's hands. 

That game will tell a lot for me.  If we can't win that game at home, then it will mean that we may be a few more years removed than I currently think.  Let's face it...if we can't beat NIU at home, then we aren't that close to competing in the SEC, and there's no sugar coating that. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ifghog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 16, 2014, 08:25:49 am
That game is far enough into the schedule that we'll have a good idea of where we stand.  It should be far enough along that what we don't see is one of those "Impose our will" type of stubborn approaches where Chaney/BB don't vary the play calling early to keep them honest and off balance.  That's my fear.  I get that they want to instill in our players that "We're going to commit to, and succeed running the ball," and that they should go into that game expecting to be able to run on NIU, BUT...if that's all any defense has to gear up for, it's playing right into a lesser talented team's hands. 

That game will tell a lot for me.  If we can't win that game at home, then it will mean that we may be a few more years removed than I currently think.  Let's face it...if we can't beat NIU at home, then we aren't that close to competing in the SEC, and there's no sugar coating that. 
great rational post! +1

Hawgzinbowlz

If their defense is as sketchy as some think, we'll "pound the rock", and pass only when necessary to allow us to "pound the rock".
We'll try to impose our will, and do so if it's working. It's in CBBs DNA.
If we cannot impose our will running the ball it will be interesting to see if CBB and JC adjust enough, during the game, for us to win.

" GO HOGS "

HogFanatic

This game won't be nearly as easy as some think. NIU has a good team. Our schedule is tougher this year than it was last year, and that is saying something. I tend to think we should win this game, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we didn't.

hawgmasta

I think they'll play us with a chip on their shoulder and a great game plan. Well get ahead early and get too comfortable. They'll start to come back and Either tie or geat ahead; then by the end our talent and size will wear them down and we win by 7-10.