Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derby Settles in at Tight End; Mitchell May Be "Buying in" at Receiver

Started by Mike Irwin, April 15, 2014, 10:36:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

FAYETTEVILLE--A week after Arkansas head football coach Bret Bielema talked backup quarterback A.J. Derby into moving to tight end the senior from Iowa City, Iowa appears to be settling in at his new position.

"No matter what spot he's at A.J.'s got a tremendous amount of football intellect," offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said after Tuesday's practice. "He gets the game of football. Everything comes pretty simple for him."

Teammate and fellow tight end Hunter Henry said Derby is doing more than just adapting to the position. He's helping the other tight ends better understand their overall role in the offense, telling reporters, "Just from being a quarterback his knowledge of the offense is bringing a lot to the tight ends. The coverages, the blitzes we face. Everything. He's bringing a different side to us."

Derby admits that as a senior he didn't immediately warm up to the idea of switching positions.
-------------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/derby-settles-in-at-tight-end-mitchell-may-be-buyi/22840/P5H4Itur30isqgHiB6YSdA

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

PorkRinds

Quote from: secneahog on April 16, 2014, 10:02:59 am
In his video he looks really happy. Glad to see that.

Same here.  In the end, as a senior it's going to be way more fun and enjoyable to be on the field catching passes than on the sideline watching others play.  Glad he's open to it.  I hope he lights the world on fire. 

Virgil

I hope he has a good Sr. year, he deserves it.  I can't imagine how hard it is to change positions your Sr. year. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

gmarv

Hawgzinbowlz

A plus that AJ is giving a "big picture" perspective to the other TE. I'm sure AJ would share offensive formation advice/information to any TE, receivers, etc. that would be asked of him.
I like his interview and his attitude.
This looks like the proverbial win/win...

" GO HOGS "

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

BigE_23

oldfart

ok so Derby seems like he has bought into the move  but no discussion as to how mitchell is accepting the new role. any word from anyone?