Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee Opening

Started by Porked Tongue, April 15, 2014, 06:05:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Break & Run

I love this.  They're reaching...a lot.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Hawg Red

Missouri and Tennessee both should look at the recently fired Mike Woodson. Never coached at the collegiate level but that isn't stopping teams from considering college coaches with no pro experience.

WilsonHog

The coach at Louisiana Tech - who played in the SEC - had rather stay there than take the Tennessee job.

Gas explosions have caused lesser fireballs than what we're seeing in Knoxville.

"What do you mean Billy Donovan said no?"

nextlevel

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 21, 2014, 05:04:37 pm
The coach at Louisiana Tech - who played in the SEC - had rather stay there than take the Tennessee job.

Gas explosions have caused lesser fireballs than what we're seeing in Knoxville.

"What do you mean Billy Donovan said no?"

Actually, he said yes, but the hang up was the buyout in his contract.

He wanted himself to be protected after the 3rd year, the Tennessee AD wanted a low buyout to make it easier to fire him if needed. They also refused to pay his buyout at LaTech, meaning he would have to cover that cost.

The Tennessee AD is broke, they've payed out 11 mil (or so) to Fulmer and Dooley the past four years, the only money they really have to work with in this hire is the buyout Cal payed.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Porked Tongue

It's hard to imagine them hiring someone so far down the scale.  They certainly have screwed the pooch.  They obviously are going to have to go broke if they want a real name.

Hoggish1

Shaka-can...  Remember her?

Hoggish1

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 07:10:30 pm
Kirby turned them down last time.

That was probably not very Smart

Break & Run

the Tennessee players responses on Twitter has a lot to do with this coaching search. All the candidates heard what they said after Martin left for Cal.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

nextlevel

Quote from: Break & Run on April 21, 2014, 08:08:35 pm
the Tennessee players responses on Twitter has a lot to do with this coaching search. All the candidates heard what they said after Martin left for Cal.

There isn't very much talent on the roster, the contract given to White was a "win now" type expectations, he wanted a bigger buyout after year 2 and 3 due to the roster, Tennessee's AD had the buyout dropping down to near nothing after year 2.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Biggus Piggus

I have a feeling that Tennessee's opening is going to get a lot wider before they hire a replacement men's basketball coach. John Pelphrey's warming up in the wings.
[CENSORED]!

husker71

these guys think they are an elite program   and they could possibly be some day but now they are above average and except for what in IMHO was a bad call were almost to the elite 8 but those guys are gone and they need a hire that will get the ship rebuilt quickly (2 to 3 years) but after CM that job may not be as attractive as the Orange fans think

nextlevel

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 21, 2014, 08:34:01 pm
I have a feeling that Tennessee's opening is going to get a lot wider before they hire a replacement men's basketball coach. John Pelphrey's warming up in the wings.

Southern Miss is going to need a new HC soon...

ell oh ell

Porked Tongue

They can make a case that they are more "elite" than we are without much argument.  I don't like it, but it's true.

That being said the perception of them is not currently a positive.  I still believe they can get a "name coach" but it will come with a price out of a notsofull wallet.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: nextlevel on April 21, 2014, 09:41:01 pm
More than anything that would show me they realize they're settling.

Dropkick

Quote from: nextlevel on April 21, 2014, 09:41:01 pm
I have heard this from a Vol booster fwiw

tannerstahl

ESPN - Donnie Tyndall to leave Southern Mississippi to become Tennessee coach - ESPN and reports

SIAP
i love the hogs....so very very much

opineonswine

Quote from: tannerstahl on April 21, 2014, 09:50:33 pm
ESPN - Donnie Tyndall to leave Southern Mississippi to become Tennessee coach - ESPN and reports

SIAP

Wow....not impressed.

latrops

Not a bad hire.  Fairly experienced for an up and comer.  Morehead State won 4 games the season prior to his hiring, and he had them in the NCAAT in his third year.  He has averaged about 25 wins a year over the last six seasons with two programs.  They could have certainly done worse.  His resume is better than Cuonzo's was coming in.

The_Iceman

MikePiazza

Quote from: latrops on April 22, 2014, 07:07:08 am
Not a bad hire.  Fairly experienced for an up and comer.  Morehead State won 4 games the season prior to his hiring, and he had them in the NCAAT in his third year.  He has averaged about 25 wins a year over the last six seasons with two programs.  They could have certainly done worse.  His resume is better than Cuonzo's was coming in.

Tyndall will probably have a rough first year but he'll get them competitive again in no time. Not a home run hire, but the Vols have a runner in scoring position.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 08:43:02 am
My first thought was: "Who?......"

I bet you said that about the coach that just left tenner also when they first hired him...................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Hogfather

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 22, 2014, 11:56:21 am
I bet you said that about the coach that just left tenner also when they first hired him……………………………..

Not really.  Cuonzo didn't exactly light the world on fire, either.  They had a timely run.  Prior to that, they underachieved.  He seems pretty average to me.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 22, 2014, 12:03:02 pm
Not really.  Cuonzo didn't exactly light the world on fire, either.  They had a timely run.  Prior to that, they underachieved.  He seems pretty average to me.

My point was a lot of people think that a school can just go hire anybody they want to and that isn't always true.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Hogfather

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 22, 2014, 12:04:19 pm
My point was a lot of people think that a school can just go hire anybody they want to and that isn't always true.

We did.  Seems pretty easy.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 22, 2014, 12:07:24 pm
We did.  Seems pretty easy.

Sometimes easier than others. Especially IF there is was previous attachment of some sort.

nextlevel

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 22, 2014, 02:37:42 pm
Sometimes easier than others. Especially IF there is was previous attachment of some sort.

Cash reserves helps as well, Tennessee has none.

ell oh ell