Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The SEC & Cheating

Started by Mike Irwin, April 15, 2014, 11:23:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you stand on SEC cheating?

I like the SEC the way it is.
18 (6.4%)
The NCAA should crack down on cheating boosters but leave the schools alone.
33 (11.7%)
The NCAA should ban cheating boosters and punish the schools too.
115 (40.9%)
The NCAA should be abolished with fewer rules from the new governing body.
30 (10.7%)
Arkansas should be a more competitive cheater.
85 (30.2%)

Total Members Voted: 276

Voting closed: April 22, 2014, 04:15:57 pm

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 17, 2014, 09:12:21 am
Don't forget the $21,500 (of which Herrod paid around $19,000) given to Dean Weber to pay for his legal bills after the UA cut his pay following the DEA investigation about all the unaccounted for Darvocet.
You are right Scott. The thing that always confused me about Harrod was that he seems to have been more interested in helping athletic department staffers than players.

The way I heard it the word got around the BAC that Harrod was a soft touch so if you needed some financial help he was the guy to talk to.

I knew a kid like that in high school. His dad had money and the kid wanted to be everybody's pal. He ended up handing out $20 bills like candy. He even loaned me $20 one day to pay a speeding ticket (I paid him back. I promise). ;D

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgbawb on April 16, 2014, 05:44:11 pm
Maybe if the NCAA allowed players to be paid a standard salary for D1, in addition to schollies, it would make a diff.

Schollies only gives an advantage to private schools with high tuition. Unpaid mixed with huge sums of money at stake to institutions and coaching staffs is a recipe for cheating. 

And does anyone really think he NCAA is even-handed or unbiased?

And do tell what incentive would unscrupulous boosters have for STILL not giving them more illegally?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jesterzzn

Make the NCAA an academic organization that reports to scholastic accreditation organizations.  Violations then should have a serious effect on a school's academic standing.

Problem solved in less and a week, tops.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2014, 08:29:57 am
Not quite sure where you're coming from with that but if you google search Albert Means or Cam Newton I think you will get a pretty clear idea of how cheating goes down in the SEC. It won't be as interesting but you could also check out the name Ted Harrod.

I've slept a few times since those individuals where making headlines but as I recall Means' HS coach was asking $200,000 for himself (I think he only got $150,00).

Newton's dad was asking for a less ambitious $120,000-$180,000 maybe because, as he said, he only wanted enough money to make repairs to the church building where he preached.

As for Harrod, he allowed 15-20 Razorback players to get paid for work they did not perform. It amounted to around $200 per player, hence my claim that when a Razorback booster gets caught he turns out to be a wimpy cheater.

The NCAA never found anything wrong with the Cam recruitment.... Accussing and assuming isn't reality.... You are in front of a camera alot... Make those statements on TV and not on a message board and say people are cheaters that you have no proof of???

You are one of my favorite in the area about telling the truth and not sugar coating things like most other tv and radio personalities.

If you are just saying Arkansas needs to pay more to recruit players I understand. But if you look at Auburn, Alabama, Florida in football or Kentucky and Florida in basketball its easy to see that those schools would be better choices for most by tradition and media coverage and putting more players in the pros than Arkansas.

I am sure cheating probably goes on everywhere at some level. But I have no proof of it anywhere unless the NCAA says its obvious. The NCAA does very little of its on investigating and get all most all of its info from reporters that dive in to and investigate.
SEC!

JansterZ71

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 17, 2014, 12:21:42 pm
The NCAA never found anything wrong with the Cam recruitment.... Accussing and assuming isn't reality.... You are in front of a camera alot... Make those statements on TV and not on a message board and say people are cheaters that you have no proof of???

You are one of my favorite in the area about telling the truth and not sugar coating things like most other tv and radio personalities.

If you are just saying Arkansas needs to pay more to recruit players I understand. But if you look at Auburn, Alabama, Florida in football or Kentucky and Florida in basketball its easy to see that those schools would be better choices for most by tradition and media coverage and putting more players in the pros than Arkansas.

I am sure cheating probably goes on everywhere at some level. But I have no proof of it anywhere unless the NCAA says its obvious. The NCAA does very little of its on investigating and get all most all of its info from reporters that dive in to and investigate.

Very nice post! 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

GlassofSwine

The NCAA also agreed that he was being shopped by Cecil Newton and Kenny Rogers to Miss State. Auburn got a pass because they couldn't find sufficient evidence linking Auburn to his recruitment,  but as stated previously the NCAA is not a court of law. You can make your own conclusions but considering Cecil Newton was  trying to shop his son and then somehow got enough money to remodel his church before it was torn down...I'm leaning to the side that Cam's recruitment was not exactly by the book.

JansterZ71

Quote from: GlassofSwine on April 17, 2014, 07:18:42 pm
  The NCAA also agreed that he was being shopped by Cecil Newton and Kenny Rogers to Miss State. Auburn got a pass because they couldn't find sufficient evidence linking Auburn to his recruitment,  but as stated previously the NCAA is not a court of law. You can make your own conclusions but considering Cecil Newton was  trying to shop his son and then somehow got enough money to remodel his church before it was torn down...I'm leaning to the side that Cam's recruitment was not exactly by the book.

That's just some joke made up by Bama fans on a message board.  His father's church has zero remodeling done.  In fact they couldn't afford to fix 50,000 wort of repairs to bring it to code so it got shut down.  Only 5,000-7,000 worth of repairs were repaired.  Odd that the church didn't stay open with all the fake money floating around. 

Did Newton get handshakes from rogue boosters?  Probably
Did Newton get 6 figures from a Booster?  Hell no.  What booster would pay for an unknown commodity.  No one thought he would be as dominant as he was in 2010.

Teams just don't pay that much for a player.  Free car? Sure , free suits?  Sure
Momma a house? Sure but not 200,000 grand. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Mike Irwin

The NCAA never found anything wrong with the Cam recruitment.... Accussing and assuming isn't reality...
They concluded that his dad asked for money from Mississippi State. Because they could not prove that he asked for and got money from Auburn Newton was cleared. However the NCAA ended up ruling that in future cases if a parent or anyone assumed to be acting on behalf of a recruit asks for improper benefits it  will be treated the same as if the recruit had asked for the money. In other words, the next time this happens that athlete will be declared ineligible wherever he ends up.

Common logic begs the question, if Cam Newton played for Dan Mullen at Florida and if he had publicly declared a desire to play for him at Mississippi State and if his dad asked for $150,000 from Mississippi State but was turned down would he then suddenly go to Auburn for no money?

This is not a court of law. It's not part of the 6 pm news. It's a message board where fans discuss subjects like this.

Why do you think Mike Slive went around the SEC after he was hired telling the media that he was going to crack down on cheating?

Do you believe he quickly cleaned it up and there are no issues anymore?

You can tell yourself you will not believe cheating takes place unless a school gets caught. That's your business, not mine. However I know that some schools do get caught and  I'm convinced others cheat smarter and don't get caught. If the the NCAA ever got serious about identifying the smart cheaters they could greatly reduce the amount of cheating that takes place.

JansterZ71

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2014, 07:55:09 pm
They concluded that his dad asked for money from Mississippi State. Because they could not prove that he asked for and got money from Auburn Newton was cleared. However the NCAA ended up ruling that in future cases if a parent or anyone assumed to be acting on behalf of a recruit asks for improper benefits it  will be treated the same as if the recruit had asked for the money. In other words, the next time this happens that athlete will be declared ineligible wherever he ends up.

Common logic begs the question, if Cam Newton played for Dan Mullen at Florida and if he had publicly declared a desire to play for him at Mississippi State and if his dad asked for $150,000 from Mississippi State but was turned down would he then suddenly go to Auburn for no money?

This is not a court of law. It's not part of the 6 pm news. It's a message board where fans discuss subjects like this.

Why do you think Mike Slive went around the SEC after he was hired telling the media that he was going to crack down on cheating?

Do you believe he quickly cleaned it up and there are no issues anymore?

You can tell yourself you will not believe cheating takes place unless a school gets caught. That's your business, not mine. However I know that some schools do get caught and  I'm convinced others cheat smarter and don't get caught. If the the NCAA ever got serious about identifying the smart cheaters they could greatly reduce the amount of cheating that takes place.

It is common knowledge here that he didn't end up going to Miss State because of the shopping to them.  Auburn knew about the shopping to Moo State before he signed with Auburn.   Everyone else that was recruiting him said that Cecil never shopped him to them.  In other words he went to Auburn to a avoid getting Miss State in trouble.  But obviously it's easier to choose Auburn over State

Is as if you believe the scandal began to happen during season.  No Auburn compliance turned over all documents and info before fall practice.  Auburn knew everything about Cam before they made the decision to play him.

hawgbawb

I'm not a young man anymore, and I can tell you from experience that most of the time when someone or an organization gets busted for something illegal or unethical, it is the tip of the iceberg. Sorta like speeding tickets.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Fatty McGee

The cheating will stop when the schools want to take steps to stop it.  Until then, it will continue.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

root_hawg

I will say this though; we had a kid out of our HS go to UArk.  This kid could barely read and write but he was a phenom on the field.  He made a 25 on his ACT and graduated from the UA.  There is no way this kid had the grades or made that on his ACT.  I think all of em cheat but we are just bad at it.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 17, 2014, 08:14:45 pm
It is common knowledge here that he didn't end up going to Miss State because of the shopping to them.

If Auburn knew this beforehand and turned over all the documents before fall practice why did they end up having to declare him ineligible for several days when the story broke months later?

Regardless, if the NCAA is to be believed the next time that happens the athlete in question will be ineligible no matter what is claimed.

root_hawg

Wish the big 6 would break off and run their own league

GlassofSwine

April 17, 2014, 08:51:11 pm #114 Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:06:20 pm by GlassofSwine
Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 17, 2014, 07:44:24 pm
That's just some joke made up by Bama fans on a message board.  His father's church has zero remodeling done.  In fact they couldn't afford to fix 50,000 wort of repairs to bring it to code so it got shut down.  Only 5,000-7,000 worth of repairs were repaired.  Odd that the church didn't stay open with all the fake money floating around. 

Funny, you say the church is shut down, since they are still operating in a nicely renovated building at the same address these days.

http://www.holyzion.org/home

As for the 50k that was the amount that was estimated for total renovation to come up to standards, including work that was being done. Information was also widely reported by news organizations surrounding the work , monetary problems, etc with the church. IT was not simple message board fodder. And there is this report too from  2010 in the news...

http://www.times-herald.com/local/Holy-Zion-completes-work-to-bring-church-to-code--1358208

Oklahawg

It is common knowledge here that he didn't end up going to Miss State because of the shopping to them.  Auburn knew about the shopping to Moo State before he signed with Auburn.   Everyone else that was recruiting him said that Cecil never shopped him to them.  In other words he went to Auburn to a avoid getting Miss State in trouble.  But obviously it's easier to choose Auburn over State

Is as if you believe the scandal began to happen during season.  No Auburn compliance turned over all documents and info before fall practice.  Auburn knew everything about Cam before they made the decision to play him.

I believe that Newton was a 5-star recruit. OU wanted him and backed off (ironic, isn't it? One of the dirtiest programs in history won't recruit a player because he is tainted?).

Newton didn't go to MS State because once the word got out about the pay-to-play he would be declared ineligible and not be able to play. He'd never be making million in the NFL without a season at Auburn.

It was my understanding that Auburn should get credit for a nifty legal move. The FEDS were in town looking into where all that money was coming from, and if it was really destined for a church. Auburn declared Cam ineligible and appealed to the NCAA who acted quickly to resolve the issue before the Bama game that year. What it did was head off the FEDS. The NCAA effectively blew the civil case with it's ruling. That could be distorted as it came from a lawyer who is not a sports fan.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

The easiest targets are the victims, the players. Make every scholarship athlete submit a FAFSA (financial aid) form every year. Require them to report gifts valued above $100 from the moment they sign a LOI. Require them to declare assets they will possess in college valued at more than $100 (car, computer, etc).

Then, you can pay them a stipend based on a sliding scale of need. But, it allows you to track things like cars, jewelry, etc. May even need to have a scholarship player "audit" every year, a much-ballyhooed moment like the reporting back to campus for the start of what usd to be 2-a-days.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Theolesnort

What about the blue 45,000 dollar + blue dodge ram pickup Cecil started driving about the same time when actually he didn't before hand have two nickles to rub together. Looks to me like we have a new Auburn troll in this thread. One more thing Danny Sheridan doesn't always tell the truth but sometimes he does. Look at the history with Yellow Wood man, Pat Dye and Bobby Lowder and tell me with a strait face that Auburn hasn't made a history of the subject we are talking about. Yep they were caught through the years doing it. It is all part of public record.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

grayhawg

Took me a little while to know for certain, now I'm sure.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JansterZ71

Regardless Auburn is a very clean program.  NCAA was in there for months and found nothing.  I believe most athletic programs are clean.  It's the rogue boosters that aren't clean.  There are many coaching staffs that know it's going on.  Some coaching staffs who point recruits to certain boosters.  And some coaching staffs that actually pay players (see Bama coach who payed Player $500 last season).  I believe most schools athletic programs are clean.

Theolesnort

Quote from: grayhawg on April 17, 2014, 09:48:58 pm
Grayhawg, do you feel like me, that he peed on our leg and told us that it is raining? As long as Pat Dye has any input at all at Auburn plus some other characters we know well, then we know the truth don't we?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

grayhawg

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 17, 2014, 10:00:41 pm
Grayhawg, do you feel like me, that he peed on our leg and told us that it is raining? As long as Pat Dye has any input at all at Auburn plus some other characters we know well, then we know the truth don't we?
Absolutely.

redeye

Outside of Alabama in football and Kentucky in basketball, none of those programs had anything on Arkansas, historically, when Arkansas joined the SEC.  In fact, you can argue that Auburn, and Florida still don't quite match up with Arkansas, historically, in football and basketball.  Arkansas began falling behind in the SWC when other SWC schools began cheating big and I suspect it also has something to do with Arkansas falling further behind in the SEC since '92.

But for what it's worth, I'm not convinced that Florida or Kentucky is a big cheater in football or basketball.

As for Adams and Mallett, they were Arkansas kids, so why would you ever suspect cheating?  They grew up as Arkansas fans, so you seem to be grasping at straws.

redeye

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 17, 2014, 09:59:34 pm
Regardless Auburn is a very clean program.  NCAA was in there for months and found nothing.  I believe most athletic programs are clean.  It's the rogue boosters that aren't clean.  There are many coaching staffs that know it's going on.  Some coaching staffs who point recruits to certain boosters.  And some coaching staffs that actually pay players (see Bama coach who payed Player $500 last season).  I believe most schools athletic programs are clean.

You should tell the NCAA, because they seem to think differently.  Auburn's a 7 time NCAA violator and only a handful of other schools can claim that accomplishment.

jfred59

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 15, 2014, 01:53:01 pm
Sean Tuohy said on Memphis radio one time if they wanted to catch the cheaters put an NCAA undercover rep in the parking lot of ALL colleges. He was referring to look where a player came from and see what kind of car they are driving and follow the money.

Thats the pot calling the kettle black.  Everyone knows that the only reason St.  Sean took Ohor in was so he could get him to Ole Piss

Mike Irwin

Quote from: grayhawg on April 17, 2014, 09:48:58 pm
It's quite a fairy tale.

Cam Newton is Tim Tebow's heir apparent at Florida but he gets arrested for allegedly stealing a laptop computer. It seems that when the cops show up Newton tosses the laptop out of his dorm window claiming later that he was just trying to be funny.

For some strange reason he is not charged but he decides to transfer to Blinn Junior College.

While Cam is at Blinn, his position coach at Florida takes the head coaching job at Mississippi State. After a season at Blinn Cam decides to transfer to a major college. He publicly states that he wants to play for his former position coach at Florida.

Cam's daddy decides to ask Mississippi State for money but he doesn't tell Cam. Mississippi State tells Cecil Newton, No way Jose. Cecil is worried that Mississippi State will get in trouble so he decides to protect them.

Cecil tells Cam, Sorry son. You have to go to Auburn.

Cam asks, Why Daddy?

Cecil says, I can't say.

Cam says, Okay. Anything you say Daddy.

Cam meets with Auburn officials and tells them what he has done. Auburn officials say, Sure Cecil, we'll help you protect Mississippi State. We also won't tell Cam what you have done.

So Auburn officials get all the necessary documents together, including Cecil's confession, and sends them to the NCAA.

The NCAA puts the documents in a closet.

Months go by when suddenly Cecil's money request is all over the media.

The NCAA tells Auburn officials, Oh crap. You need to suspend Cam.

Auburn officials say, Okay but you need to read the stuff we sent you months ago.

A day later the NCAA says, Okay, we read what Cecil said. Cam didn't know. He's reinstated.

Poor Cam. How confused he must have been. Daddy, did you really ask for money from
Mississippi State? I'm shocked and appalled. Oh well, I'm still eligible so I forgive you.

Great reading.

secneahog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2014, 10:22:17 pm
It's quite a fairy tale.

Cam Newton is Tim Tebow's heir apparent at Florida but he gets arrested for allegedly stealing a laptop computer. It seems that when the cops show up Newton tosses the laptop out of his dorm window claiming later that he was just trying to be funny.

For some strange reason he is not charged but he decides to transfer to Blinn Junior College.

While Cam is at Blinn, his position coach at Florida takes the head coaching job at Mississippi State. After a season at Blinn Cam decides to transfer to a major college. He publicly states that he wants to play for his former position coach at Florida.

Cam's daddy decides to ask Mississippi State for money but he doesn't tell Cam. Mississippi State tells Cecil Newton, No way Jose. Cecil is worried that Mississippi State will get in trouble so he decides to protect them.

Cam asks, Why Daddy?

Cecil says, I can't say.

Cam meets with Auburn officials and tells them what he has done. Auburn officials say, Sure Cecil, we'll help you protect Mississippi State. We also won't tell Cam what you have done.

So Auburn officials get all the necessary documents together, including Cecil's confession, and sends them to the NCAA.

Auburn officials say, Okay but you need to read the stuff we sent you months ago.

A day later the NCAA says, Okay, we read what Cecil said. Cam didn't know. He's reinstated.

Poor Cam. How confused he must have been. Daddy, did you really ask for money from
Mississippi State? I'm shocked and appalled. Oh well, I'm still eligible so I forgive you.

Great reading.

Ha.  Good stuff.

I remember listening to Cecil leaving a voicemail to Mississippi st saying auburn has set the bar high at 250'000. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 17, 2014, 08:19:39 am

Who is gonna "do away with the NCAA?" That is pure fantasy.

I would like to know the correlation between folks hell bent on staying put in the SEC but strongly against cheating. Lol the proverb have your cake and eat it too comes to mind.

Actually, doing away with the NCAA & replacing them with an organization that will really do their job & enforce the rules fairly.....is not a fantasy.  Any organization that is not doing their job, can be replaced.....& should be.  We see high profile college football coaches fired each year for not doing their job......& replaced.  No organization is irreplaceable.....specially one that is not enforcing their own rules.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

goodguytex

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2014, 10:22:17 pm
It's quite a fairy tale.

Cam asks, Why Daddy?

Cecil says, I can't say.

Great reading.
Great fictional writing.... Sad and pathetic thing is anyone with a brain bought any of it.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 17, 2014, 06:30:27 am
How did they get Joe Adams and Ryan Mallett who weren't coming to Arkansas???

They fired the coach that was the reason they originally weren't coming.

redeye

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 17, 2014, 08:19:39 am
Who is gonna "do away with the NCAA?" That is pure fantasy.

I would like to know the correlation between folks hell bent on staying put in the SEC but strongly against cheating. Lol the proverb have your cake and eat it too comes to mind.

I would have said the same thing a few years ago, but I've heard plenty of talk on replacing the NCAA in recent years.  I've heard Rick Schaeffer say he expects it to happen very soon.  Personally, I don't know how that would work and have to wonder if the main purpose would simply be to get rid of the bad image associated with the NCAA, but I wouldn't know.

As for the second part of your comment, you seem to be the one drawing a correlation.  I don't see any correlation, so why don't you explain yours?  Or, why can't I be strongly against cheating and still want to stay in the SEC?  Exactly how is that a problem?

redeye

MountieDawg

Quote from: redeye on April 17, 2014, 10:06:03 pm
Outside of Alabama in football and Kentucky in basketball, none of those programs had anything on Arkansas, historically, when Arkansas joined the SEC.  In fact, you can argue that Auburn, and Florida still don't quite match up with Arkansas, historically, in football and basketball.  Arkansas began falling behind in the SWC when other SWC schools began cheating big and I suspect it also has something to do with Arkansas falling further behind in the SEC since '92.

But for what it's worth, I'm not convinced that Florida or Kentucky is a big cheater in football or basketball.

As for Adams and Mallett, they were Arkansas kids, so why would you ever suspect cheating?  They grew up as Arkansas fans, so you seem to be grasping at straws.

Florida has multiple NCAA titles in basketball and football, Arkansas has 1 in basketball and that is it. The claimed football title is not recognized by either the AP or the UPI who were the mainstream polls back in the 60's....

They weren't coming to Arkansas before Petrino... But I don't suspect either came due to cheating... Just making the point that good players go to schools without having to cheat....
SEC!

Cotton

I'm having flashbacks to that 100 page thread on $cam Newton.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

GlassofSwine

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 18, 2014, 06:40:19 am
Florida has multiple NCAA titles in basketball and football, Arkansas has 1 in basketball and that is it. The claimed football title is not recognized by either the AP or the UPI who were the mainstream polls back in the 60's....

They weren't coming to Arkansas before Petrino... But I don't suspect either came due to cheating... Just making the point that good players go to schools without having to cheat....

He is referring to the entire history of the program, no one would argue that Florida has been far superior for the last 20 years in athletics, however all of Florida's National Titles in Football and basketball have come after Arkansas joined the SEC and in fact the first time Florida won a conference championship in football wasn't even until 1991. People are quick to dismiss our program for lack of titles but Frank Broyles legacy and his coaching tree have had as big an influence of college football as anything up through the 80's and early 90's.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 18, 2014, 06:40:19 am

No one in this thread has claimed that all good players get paid to go to a certain school. The outright buying of a player is not the norm even for the cheaters. Some have correctly pointed out that most improper benefits (cheating) come in the form of provided services (a place to live for mom).

Your attitude of, it didn't happen unless somebody is caught is okay with me. Believe whatever you want.

When you talk to various reporters who cover the SEC schools they will tell you, there's lots of cheating going on out there. The SEC does it better than any other conference.

Well then, why don't they go out and prove it, you ask?

It would go like this:

Reporter: I need you to clear my calendar for the next six months. I also need about $50,000 in travel expenses.

Boss: What for?

Reporter: I'm going to go everywhere I need to go and talk to whoever I need to talk to in order to expose the cheaters in the SEC.

Boss: You're real funny. Go back to work.

Hoggish1

I want it to stop.  When the likes of Old Piss start succeeding because of it, something has to be done.

Let everyone in college football sink or swim based on their above board skills.

JansterZ71

Quote from: secneahog on April 17, 2014, 10:40:34 pm
Ha.  Good stuff.

I remember listening to Cecil leaving a voicemail to Mississippi st saying auburn has set the bar high at 250'000.

When the Fck did that happen?? Holy crap some of you guys are smoking crack. I bet you also believe everything you read in the national inquirer.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 18, 2014, 08:25:38 am
When the Fck did that happen?? Holy crap some of you guys are smoking crack. I bet you also believe everything you read in the national inquirer.
What they tend not to believe is an Auburn fan on a Razorback message board.

JansterZ71

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2014, 08:30:18 am
What they tend not to believe is an Auburn fan on a Razorback message board.
Who said I was an Auburn fan? Most everything on te newton case is up for debate sure because we just don't know but for someone to say things like "uh I remember when Cecil told MSU that Auburn is offering this amount" is a little asinine and comes off very uneducated.  Just grinds my gears that so many Arkansas fans non alums have such an obsession with Auburn.  Like they want to secretly be Auburn.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 18, 2014, 08:53:16 am
Who said I was an Auburn fan? Most everything on te newton case is up for debate sure because we just don't know but for someone to say things like "uh I remember when Cecil told MSU that Auburn is offering this amount" is a little asinine and comes off very uneducated.  Just grinds my gears that so many Arkansas fans non alums have such an obsession with Auburn.  Like they want to secretly be Auburn.

After attempting to read your paragraph I find you making the bolded statement  rather comical.

Fatty McGee

April 18, 2014, 09:00:30 am #141 Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:17:46 am by Fatty McGee
Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on April 18, 2014, 12:27:47 am
Actually, doing away with the NCAA & replacing them with an organization that will really do their job & enforce the rules fairly.....is not a fantasy.  Any organization that is not doing their job, can be replaced.....& should be.  We see high profile college football coaches fired each year for not doing their job......& replaced.  No organization is irreplaceable.....specially one that is not enforcing their own rules.

The NCAA is largely a fiction.  It serves the schools at their whim.  It is like a commissioner in pro sports - merely a representative of the collective expression of the will of the schools.  Who would replace it?  If it was replaced by the schools, you would end up with. . . . another NCAA, just with a different name.  And equally ineffectual.

It's like saying "Let's get rid of the IRS!!"  Well, some agency is going to collect taxes.  We can call it the Department of Candy and Ice Cream, but it's still going to be in the business of collecting taxes. 

Mike Irwin

Mike Irwin

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 17, 2014, 09:59:34 pm
Conveniently remaining ignorant of the activities of a school's athletic boosters does not make that program clean.

JansterZ71

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2014, 09:38:34 am
Conveniently remaining ignorant of the activities of a school's athletic boosters does not make that program clean.

All the school has to do is write a cease & desist letter right?  This is Sabans protocols.  See Ttown menswear.  As long as coaches aren't handing out money then NCAA has little they can do.  It's hard to track down random cash from boosters.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 18, 2014, 09:44:55 am
All the school has to do is write a cease & desist letter right?  This is Sabans protocols.  See Ttown menswear.  As long as coaches aren't handing out money then NCAA has little they can do.  It's hard to track down random cash from boosters.
Nonsense. If somebody is out there putting your program in jeopardy you can track them down if you want to.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2014, 09:50:08 am
Nonsense. If somebody is out there putting your program in jeopardy you can track them down if you want to.

Which makes the point - no one wants to.  Plausible deniability is a much better position to take than alienating rabid, donating, fans.  These are the people who pay your salary, after all. 

JansterZ71

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 18, 2014, 09:59:44 am
Which makes the point - no one wants to.  Plausible deniability is a much better position to take than alienating rabid, donating, fans.  These are the people who pay your salary, after all.

Great point.  The boosters that are usually the rogue boosters are the ones that donate large monies to the University.  You have to tread down that path very carefully.

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2014, 09:24:19 am
I did.
Doesn't take long long looking at his post history to figure that out. 

Auburn is a clean program.  They hired the NCAA's director of enforcement to make sure of that. Surely they wouldn't hire someone like that just to find loopholes? Would they? Should be helping Bruce out now that they are on the same side of the fence.

JansterZ71

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on April 18, 2014, 12:07:24 pm
Doesn't take long long looking at his post history to figure that out. 

Auburn is a clean program.  They hired the NCAA's director of enforcement to make sure of that. Surely they wouldn't hire someone like that just to find loopholes? Would they? Should be helping Bruce out now that they are on the same side of the fence.

Well I wouldn't want to hire you as an employee if you are not going to do everything within the rules to make us the top company.  As long as rules aren't getting broken...