Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Receivers Making Progress in Spring Practice

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 15, 2014, 06:20:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Good article.

"The Razorbacks believe there's more potential for success in 2014, beginning with Wilson's return from last season's torn anterior cruciate ligament. Arkansas also has Hatcher back after the junior caught 27 passes for 346 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Razorbacks are watching the growth of two newcomers this spring as well.

Junior college transfer Cody Hollister, who began his career at Nevada, and freshman Jared Cornelius enrolled early to participate in spring drills and have shown promise."

- See more at: http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/morgan-receivers-making-spring-progress#sthash.NgklcWEe.dpuf
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

This is some good news if these guys keep growing and improving then we will win some more games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

3kgthog

It isn't saying much considering the defense they are going up against.

I'll believe it when I see it against a team with a pulse.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 15, 2014, 09:57:56 am

Give it a rest dude, damn!

ifghog

Gosh can you say one sincere positive thing about Razorback Football?? I am just curious.

cosmodrum

walk into traffic
Go away, batin'

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Frankly, none of us know how good or bad the defense may be this year. So saying what you just did is nothing but negativity based on last year. I understand where some of you are coming from with attitudes like that, NOBODY liked what we saw on the field the last two seasons. You are not alone in your desire to see the team win more games and put a solid product on the field.

But why is it necessary for those of you who have a negative opinion of the HC or even the team, to not be open to the possibility that exists that this team might actually improve, perhaps even significantly, over last year?

Don't you really, deep down, harbor that hope? If so, you are no different than those of us who try to look for the good and the improvement and also have the hope that they win more games.
Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I loved this final quote from Morgan.

..."I definitely feel like I'm in the role this year," Morgan said about his spot in the rotation. "A lot of learning points last year. I think we got off on the right start with quarterbacks and receivers, really caught the ball well, really made a big improvement. Not only from last year, but the offseason and stuff. ...

"But we have improvements to make. We're nowhere near satisfied."
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jamie Jones

There should be another forum called Whiners Derailers & Trolls, where certain people are immediately sent when they log on. Some of the other teams fans are actually more positive about our program than some of our own. SMH
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

kingofdequeen

i guess you've been debbie downer a lot given some of the replies.

i for one agree with you.  tired of talk, hopes and wishes. 

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

DeltaBoy

Well they got to improve cause last year they had too many Roberto Duran Hands of Stone moments.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

grim_sleeper

How come I am not hearing anything about Jo-Jo Robinson?  Isn't he a receiver and suppose to be a 4 star that switched from Florida st?  I figured he would be getting some play time.

PorkRinds

Quote from: grim_sleeper on April 16, 2014, 10:49:41 am
How come I am not hearing anything about Jo-Jo Robinson?  Isn't he a receiver and suppose to be a 4 star that switched from Florida st?  I figured he would be getting some play time.

Not on campus til the fall...

ldfergu

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2014, 10:51:45 am
Not on campus til the fall...

Will any of them be here for summer workouts?  I really have no idea how that all works

PorkRinds

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on April 16, 2014, 10:57:20 am
Will any of them be here for summer workouts?  I really have no idea how that all works

I think most of them report in June, so they'll be around for some summer workouts.  I saw a list of when they report, but I don't remember much of it.  Jared Cornelius is already on campus, and is already making a mark evidently, so we'll see him get lots of PT. Cody Hollister is the same.  The rest of the guys will have to wait til fall to see where they fit.

ldfergu

Hawgzinbowlz

Based on the 2 open Saturday scrimmages the wide receivers have more focus and better hands. Hollister and Cornelius, as newcomers, should contribute. Cowan, Hatcher and Morgan seemed to also be focused.
In last Saturdays scrimmage #4 KH caught the ball and as he turned up field he was hit and dropped the ball, after having possession. CBB had a few words and KH was running field laps pronto.
HH, Sprinkle and AJ (except the ridiculously open, for a TD,drop), also did a nice job catching the ball.

" GO HOGS "

chitwnhog

Quote from: jhawg2009 on April 15, 2014, 03:59:29 pm
There should be another forum called Whiners Derailers & Trolls, where certain people are immediately sent when they log on. Some of the other teams fans are actually more positive about our program than some of our own. SMH

This idea has merit...

Hawgzinbowlz

DuWop also has nice, "receiver", hands. I hope he decides to stick it out.
He is simply a very good athlete, running, receiving, and the threat of passing.

" GO HOGS "

lumphog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2014, 03:33:08 pm
Frankly, none of us know how good or bad the defense may be this year. So saying what you just did is nothing but negativity based on last year. I understand where some of you are coming from with attitudes like that, NOBODY liked what we saw on the field the last two seasons. You are not alone in your desire to see the team win more games and put a solid product on the field.

But why is it necessary for those of you who have a negative opinion of the HC or even the team, to not be open to the possibility that exists that this team might actually improve, perhaps even significantly, over last year?

Don't you really, deep down, harbor that hope? If so, you are no different than those of us who try to look for the good and the improvement and also have the hope that they win more games.
Musk, what's funny is all these doubters will be eating CROW & jumping on the bandwagon. THIS staff & CBB are doing some great things & IF these guys can't see that . . . . . We are on the right track & it WILL show THIS year. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!!

hawgmasta

Having just somebody close to as good as Childs pre-injury or Jarius would do wonders for our QB. Hunter Henry is probably going to be the closest thing but Allen needs a wideout that can bail him out as well.

hogwild210

Quote from: jhawg2009 on April 15, 2014, 03:59:29 pm

What forum should we send the people who are constantly complaining about the "whiners, derailers, and trolls"?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

JayBell

It's a low bar to set, but Arkansas could have a pretty explosive group of receivers this year if they hone their craft.  The level should go up every year for the foreseeable future.

You can't take anything away from the effort made by Herndon and Horton, but I was shocked at how little separation they could get from SEC secondaries (the team really missed Allen against Rutgers when he could have stretched the defense better; Rutgers did not have an SEC level secondary and Arkansas could have taken advantage of that).

Now you take away those guys and you give a year of experience to Cowan, Hatcher, Hawkins, Morgan and Wilson.  Then they added Cornelius and Hollister at the semester.  Jojo and Edwards aren't even on campus yet, and many have them ranked ahead of Cornelius in terms of potential.

You've got to have some kind of agenda to not see the upside in the situation at receiver. It'd be tough to get any worse.

razorbacksnum1

The scrimmages I've attended this spring Hunter Henry looks the best and then there's a drop from there. Hatcher made some good catches and seems more reliable but had another big fumble last scrimmage. Morgan looked solid last year but didn't contribute much so I don't know about him yet. Cornelius looks very solid and he will definitely play.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on April 16, 2014, 01:38:52 pm
The scrimmages I've attended this spring Hunter Henry looks the best and then there's a drop from there. Hatcher made some good catches and seems more reliable but had another big fumble last scrimmage. Morgan looked solid last year but didn't contribute much so I don't know about him yet. Cornelius looks very solid and he will definitely play.
I just think we don't have the speed at reciever we need.  Teams will load the box again.  Brandon will get a lot of man cover.  Can our receivers out run it???  That is the big question.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

lumphog

Quote from: code red on April 16, 2014, 01:49:21 pm
I just think we don't have the speed at reciever we need.  Teams will load the box again.  Brandon will get a lot of man cover.  Can our receivers out run it???  That is the big question.
Hawkins was one of the fastest HS players in the country. We DO have a streeeeetcher. He can fly

SPAL

3g2k is a known troll and is negative and never says anything positive. So why do you allow him to derail a very upbeat and positive post? I say just ignore the idiot and stop griping about how he is a troll. That's what derails the thread.

I'm excited to hear about how the passing game is coming along. We are gonna be young there, but we should have some playmakers.

The_Iceman

Aren't you the same idiot that trolls the Women's forum bashing Jimmy Dykes?

BorderPatrol

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2014, 04:07:39 pm
i guess you've been debbie downer a lot given some of the replies.

i for one agree with you.  tired of talk, hopes and wishes.

I guess it would be pointless to mention that this is sping, a time of talk, hopes and wishes.

bp

Hawgzinbowlz

April 16, 2014, 07:13:00 pm #34 Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:23:17 pm by MorrellHog
For Hog Fans That Prefer Optimism : Wide Receiver Speed, Coming or Already Here
Eric Hawkins  #14 ; Sophmore , 6'0", 180 lbs.
2010 Texas Track Championship : 4th in 100 meters
                                                  3rd in 200 meters
2011 Texas Track Championship : 4th in 100 meters  10.51
                                                  2nd in 200 meters  21.1

Jojo Robinson

WR, 6-0, 185, Miami, Fla. (Miami Northwestern HS)

Robinson was rated a four-star prospect by ESPN and Scout.com. Touted as one of the best route runners in the 2014 class, he was ranked as the No. 22 athlete in the country and No. 35 prospect in Florida by 247Sports.com Composite ranking. Rivals.com pegged him as the No. 59 receiver in the country and the No. 55 prospect in Florida, while ESPN ranked him No. 145 on the ESPN 300. His junior season he made 35 receptions for 445 yards and three touchdowns and added 161 yards and one touchdown on 29 rushing attempts to help the Bulls to the regional semifinal round of the 6A state playoffs. As a sophomore, he caught 16 passes for 153 yards and one touchdown while rushing 29 times for 98 yards and two touchdowns on an eight-win team. He was coached at Miami Northwestern by Stephen Field. Robinson chose Arkansas over numerous offers including Florida State, LSU, Auburn, TCU and South Florida.

Edit : Class 6A is the largest in Florida High School.

" GO HOGS "

HawgFan70

Quote from: lumphog on April 16, 2014, 12:16:44 pm
Musk, what's funny is all these doubters will be eating CROW & jumping on the bandwagon. THIS staff & CBB are doing some great things & IF these guys can't see that . . . . . We are on the right track & it WILL show THIS year. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!!

So you are saying the Hogs will do what this year?? Win 10 games? Win 7? What are these great things?
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

lumphog

Quote from: HawgFan70 on April 16, 2014, 08:24:02 pm
So you are saying the Hogs will do what this year?? Win 10 games? Win 7? What are these great things?
Hide & watch

HawgFan70

being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

MuskogeeHogFan

Like a lot of folks on here, this is a wait and see proposition for me. Oh I think we will be improved overall, but the question is by how much or how little and at which positions?

I hope that WR is greatly improved. They have to be, we can't suffer through another season of low production in that area. As long as BA stays healthy, I think he will be greatly improved.

The O-Line may be about the same in terms of run blocking, maybe not as good at pass blocking, at least early. Not one concern about the RB's or TE's, just a concern about ball security and that aspect has to improve.

I am concerned about the DT's and their production and quality depth, but not the DE's, they will be fine. LB'er will be improved (my opinion) and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a greatly improved Secondary.

All of these things point to an improved team (overall). Should we win 6 games or more? Hard to say. We need some breaks at key moments to go our way this year and that certainly wasn't the case last year. We have to get better at converting on third down and better in the RZ. All of this along with a better T/O Ratio and improved play in the back seven on defense will contribute to our level of success this year.

But I am not ready to start taunting some of the naysayers on here because some of them have valid concerns about the 2014 Hogs. I am cautiously optimistic, but I'll wait and see.
Go Hogs Go!

Jamie Jones

Quote from: hogwild210 on April 16, 2014, 01:33:10 pm
What forum should we send the people who are constantly complaining about the "whiners, derailers, and trolls"?
I knew that someone would ask. The fact that you had to ask, says a lot about which of the three you are. If the Whiners, Derailers, and Trolls were confined to their own forum, the only way the "complainers" could complain would be to insert themselves into the forum with them. See how that works?
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

acey33

Yeah and here's hoping Hatcher has a break out year this year if he gets enough targets. I think he's our best option at wr and mix in some of the new guys...well we should have a decent passing attack this year when needed. I know we will be a run first team but to make that work we have to open the field and show teams we can pass the ball...WPS

I think we can get 6 wins this year or more if we get some breaks or calls going our way

Theolesnort

I will not be surprised, more like pleased.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

DeltaBoy

This group looks to be much improved from last year.

lumphog

Quote from: HawgFan70 on April 16, 2014, 09:58:06 pm
im asking
Sorry, It's getting hard to wade through the SmartAzzs. I think BA will be MUCH improved as a leader & healthy. The receivers will be MUCH improved & have a HUGE impact. The TE's will be the BEST in the country. We have a great crop of RB's, Look for Evans & Walker to make a difference (they'll have to play with attitude to get carries) & KM will be the homerun threat that we lacked last year (I have visions of him gutting D's up the middle like D-mac) I have alot of faith in Chaney & what he can do with a balanced O (Like he did at TN) With the right ppl in place, he's NOT scared to through the LongBall & stretch the field. A balanced O will make us dangerous. AND, I see the D being MUCH improved (Barring Injuries) I think we have the talent to field a real SEC D. Front line will be GOOD, Starting LB crop will be GOOD, & the secondary will be MUCH IMPROVED. I like what CBB is building & he's building it for the LONG HAUL. We will surprise alot of teams with our physical play. We'll hit em in the mouth & I like that. They'll know they were in a fight. I see good things coming & we'll make a huge stride THIS YEAR!! 

code red

Quote from: lumphog on April 17, 2014, 10:41:00 am
Sorry, It's getting hard to wade through the SmartAzzs. I think BA will be MUCH improved as a leader & healthy. The receivers will be MUCH improved & have a HUGE impact. The TE's will be the BEST in the country. We have a great crop of RB's, Look for Evans & Walker to make a difference (they'll have to play with attitude to get carries) & KM will be the homerun threat that we lacked last year (I have visions of him gutting D's up the middle like D-mac) I have alot of faith in Chaney & what he can do with a balanced O (Like he did at TN) With the right ppl in place, he's NOT scared to through the LongBall & stretch the field. A balanced O will make us dangerous. AND, I see the D being MUCH improved (Barring Injuries) I think we have the talent to field a real SEC D. Front line will be GOOD, Starting LB crop will be GOOD, & the secondary will be MUCH IMPROVED. I like what CBB is building & he's building it for the LONG HAUL. We will surprise alot of teams with our physical play. We'll hit em in the mouth & I like that. They'll know they were in a fight. I see good things coming & we'll make a huge stride THIS YEAR!! 
And you are basing this on ?????????

lumphog

Quote from: acey33 on April 17, 2014, 07:19:09 am
Yeah and here's hoping Hatcher has a break out year this year if he gets enough targets. I think he's our best option at wr and mix in some of the new guys...well we should have a decent passing attack this year when needed. I know we will be a run first team but to make that work we have to open the field and show teams we can pass the ball...WPS

I think we can get 6 wins this year or more if we get some breaks or calls going our way
I agree, about Hatcher, But I want to see Hawkins step up. He's the SPEED we NEED to really stretch the field & pull the extra defenders out of the box. He can FLY!!!

lumphog

A fairy told me, It's spring, I can say what I want!!!!

lumphog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 17, 2014, 05:53:55 am
Like a lot of folks on here, this is a wait and see proposition for me. Oh I think we will be improved overall, but the question is by how much or how little and at which positions?

I hope that WR is greatly improved. They have to be, we can't suffer through another season of low production in that area. As long as BA stays healthy, I think he will be greatly improved.

The O-Line may be about the same in terms of run blocking, maybe not as good at pass blocking, at least early. Not one concern about the RB's or TE's, just a concern about ball security and that aspect has to improve.

I am concerned about the DT's and their production and quality depth, but not the DE's, they will be fine. LB'er will be improved (my opinion) and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a greatly improved Secondary.

All of these things point to an improved team (overall). Should we win 6 games or more? Hard to say. We need some breaks at key moments to go our way this year and that certainly wasn't the case last year. We have to get better at converting on third down and better in the RZ. All of this along with a better T/O Ratio and improved play in the back seven on defense will contribute to our level of success this year.

But I am not ready to start taunting some of the naysayers on here because some of them have valid concerns about the 2014 Hogs. I am cautiously optimistic, but I'll wait and see.
I agree, but hey, It's spring Jack . . . I'm going to taunt  :P  . . . I do have alot of faith in this year & "think" we'll be MUCH better. We were alot closer in some games last year than some give us credit for . . . With a little luck . . . 

code red

One of my flaws I guess is I get wrapped up in personnel and match ups.  Guys...there are significant match up problems across the board with every SEC team and Arkansas.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: lumphog on April 17, 2014, 10:41:00 am
I agree with ya lumphog! I feel like we will see a much better team this year. IF we so happen to beat Auburn that would turn every head in the nation. (Due to them being the previous national runner-ups and SEC champion)