Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Since we play Georgia this year...

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 15, 2014, 06:04:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Here is a report on their status coming out of their spring game.

2. Floyd and Johnson could be a solid combo: There's no question that Georgia's defense still needs a lot of work. The secondary had its issues and the defensive line is still looking for more playmakers. But one thing that really stood out on Saturday was the play of defensive lineman Toby Johnson and linebacker Leonard Floyd. Both required constant double teams on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/81842/five-things-from-georgias-spring-game
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

The Dawgs have put a ton in the NFL but they are not playing like it in College, I expect the Hawgs to beat the Dawgs this fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 15, 2014, 08:46:24 am
The Dawgs have put a ton in the NFL but they are not playing like it in College, I expect the Hawgs to beat the Dawgs this fall.

Interesting to read that their weak spot on defense appears to be their Secondary at this point. Let's hope it stays that way until after we play them.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

Historally under Mark R. they lay an egg or two each year and we are due.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 16, 2014, 08:27:49 am
Historally under Mark R. they lay an egg or two each year and we are due.

I agree with you but about the only time over the last four seasons that Georgia has laid an egg from October on was against ranked teams. Question is, will we be ranked leading up to Georgia on Oct 18th with having played Auburn, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Alabama prior to that time?
Go Hogs Go!

Cotton

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2014, 08:36:58 am
I agree with you but about the only time over the last four seasons that Georgia has laid an egg from October on was against ranked teams. Question is, will we be ranked leading up to Georgia on Oct 18th with having played Auburn, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Alabama prior to that time?
Not a chance.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cotton on April 16, 2014, 09:05:00 am
Not a chance.

I agree, but I still think it is going to be a hard fought ball game that we will have a chance to win. Georgia may have a lot of offensive weapons back but they also have a lot of question marks on defense (from the article) and unless they solve those by the middle of October, this may wind up being a close game.
Go Hogs Go!

Cotton

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2014, 09:25:09 am
I agree, but I still think it is going to be a hard fought ball game that we will have a chance to win. Georgia may have a lot of offensive weapons back but they also have a lot of question marks on defense (from the article) and unless they solve those by the middle of October, this may wind up being a close game.
I think we will play them close honestly. They're a good team but they are beatable. Considering the circumstances like not being a team we play every year, and playing them in LR give us even more chances of winning. I'm excited to see Georgia and Richt play in person.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ADavisTheGOAT

We could easily be 5-1 or 4-2 heading into that game.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

go hogues

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 16, 2014, 09:47:14 am
We could easily be 5-1 or 4-2 heading into that game.
Pass the reefer, brah.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Laughing Hog

I really hope we beat these guys this year. We need to even our record up against them (at least start moving it in the right direction)and most importantly, I need to shut up all my Gawga buddies here. Their 'confidence' borders on the cocky side because they have had so many 'great' recruiting classes and have had a lot of 'good' years (I always have to remind them that they can't seem to ever make it to the tippy top). I also have to ask them what the over/under will be (usually averages about 8-10/yr) on how many will get thrown in jail/kicked off the team/suspended for 'x' # of games..... I usually get a lot of murmuring and excuses at that point.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Tick Hog

I know a loss is a loss but I'm not sure anybody blows us out this year

Fayettechill14

Quote from: go hogues on April 16, 2014, 10:02:02 am
Pass the reefer, brah.

4-2 isn't out of the question. Losses to Auburn and Alabama are all but guaranteed, but we could beat Texas A&M, who has lost everyone from their offense, and Texas Tech, who lost their top receiver and has a suspect defense. NIU and Nicholls State are the guaranteed wins.

bennyl08

As for their question marks on defense, they only lose 1 starter, on the DL, and a backup safety from their entire two deep. Granted, their defense last season ranked in the 11th-8th in most defensive team categories. However, they have a history of having having some ebb and flow when it comes to production, and a history having top notch athletes. Meaning, one, usually if one side of the ball is ebbing, the other is still flowing, and, two, even in a bad year, they still usually get 8 wins.

They also have a history of losing games early in the season and came a caught pass away from quite possibly beating Bama in the SECCG. Their bowl record of late has been surprising. Watching the games, it is apparent that Georgia is the far more talented team, but they are great at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

While their defensive production was down last season, the SEC obliterated the former record of draft selections with 63. Want to know why many teams were down last season, particularly on defense? The SEC also set the record for the junior early departures. Complete conjecture, but given UGA's history of recruiting and developing players, I give them the benefit of the doubt that the players will be much improved next season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2014, 03:18:08 am
As for their question marks on defense, they only lose 1 starter, on the DL, and a backup safety from their entire two deep. Granted, their defense last season ranked in the 11th-8th in most defensive team categories. However, they have a history of having having some ebb and flow when it comes to production, and a history having top notch athletes. Meaning, one, usually if one side of the ball is ebbing, the other is still flowing, and, two, even in a bad year, they still usually get 8 wins.

They also have a history of losing games early in the season and came a caught pass away from quite possibly beating Bama in the SECCG. Their bowl record of late has been surprising. Watching the games, it is apparent that Georgia is the far more talented team, but they are great at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

While their defensive production was down last season, the SEC obliterated the former record of draft selections with 63. Want to know why many teams were down last season, particularly on defense? The SEC also set the record for the junior early departures. Complete conjecture, but given UGA's history of recruiting and developing players, I give them the benefit of the doubt that the players will be much improved next season.

Not sure how accurate "National Champs" is, but here they show three key losses on defense, two of them being Safeties and one NT.

Offfensively they appear to have been hit harder having lost their QB (Murray), 2 WR's, a TE and 3 O-Linemen.

I haven't checked to see if anyone in their two deep has been suspended or dismissed for disciplinary issues.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2014/earlybird/teams/georgia.htm
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Those are all players they have returning next season. The players you reference will be seniors this fall. They do show a lot more gaps on the two deep, however. Maybe some players transferred, or aren't expected to keep their jobs next season?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

lumphog

They'll have a new D-cord. this year too, Graham is with Bob

code red

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2014, 09:25:09 am
If our secondary is not significantly improved it will not be a close game.  Let's remember
                              Comp   At     Yds    %    avg   TD    INT   Rating
Mason Hutson          67   110   968   60.9   8.80     5     3   144.4
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2014, 11:31:04 am
Those are all players they have returning next season. The players you reference will be seniors this fall. They do show a lot more gaps on the two deep, however. Maybe some players transferred, or aren't expected to keep their jobs next season?

Below is what I was quoting. Those are losses, not returnees.

GEORGIA BULLDOGS
2014 College Football Early Preview

------RETURNING STARTERS------
OFFENSE - 6
DEFENSE - 10

KEY LOSSES

OFFENSE: Aaron Murray-QB, Rantavious Wooten-WR, Rhett McGowan-WR, Arthur Lynch-TE, Kenarious Gates-OT, Dallas Lee-OG, Chris Burnette-OG

DEFENSE: Garrison Smith-NT, Connor Norman-SS, Josh Harvey-Clemons-SS
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2014, 08:36:58 am

lol
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Garrison Smith was the lone starter that I was referring to. He was listed at DE on the depth chart for the bowl game. Norman was the 3rd string Safety I referred to. He apparently started two games last year at the beginning, but was quickly buried. Harvey-Clemons did start 11 games last season, switching between OLB and SS. However, he was listed nowhere on the depth chart for the bowl game, so his production escaped me. Usually I try and find a table with the game by game starters, but i didn't see it on my initial run through.

Statistically, Smith and Norman were both basically non-factors. Harvey-Clemons is a loss. Even still, that is 17% of tackles lost, 19% of TFL's, 19% of sacks, 17% of int's, 12.5% of pbu's, and 12% of qbh's. That is barely a dent all things considered. In general, it is only significant if you lose 40% or more, OR if the player lost was clearly one of the bigger playmakers. I.e. think Damontre Moore with the Aggies 2 seasons ago or Nick Fairly in 2010. Granted, both of those teams also lost a lot of other players, but the key difference was that they lost their main playmakers who also freed up other guys. From my interpretation, that is not the case with Georgia.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2014, 05:27:38 pm
Garrison Smith was the lone starter that I was referring to. He was listed at DE on the depth chart for the bowl game. Norman was the 3rd string Safety I referred to. He apparently started two games last year at the beginning, but was quickly buried. Harvey-Clemons did start 11 games last season, switching between OLB and SS. However, he was listed nowhere on the depth chart for the bowl game, so his production escaped me. Usually I try and find a table with the game by game starters, but i didn't see it on my initial run through.

Statistically, Smith and Norman were both basically non-factors. Harvey-Clemons is a loss. Even still, that is 17% of tackles lost, 19% of TFL's, 19% of sacks, 17% of int's, 12.5% of pbu's, and 12% of qbh's. That is barely a dent all things considered. In general, it is only significant if you lose 40% or more, OR if the player lost was clearly one of the bigger playmakers. I.e. think Damontre Moore with the Aggies 2 seasons ago or Nick Fairly in 2010. Granted, both of those teams also lost a lot of other players, but the key difference was that they lost their main playmakers who also freed up other guys. From my interpretation, that is not the case with Georgia.

I agree that Harvey-Clemons (dismissed from Georgia football) and Smith (NT) were the biggest losses. Harvey-Clemons showed great potential and might have earned All SEC in the future based on what he had done so far...25 games, 8 passes defended, 7 PBU's, 1 INT and 59 total tackles (asst tackles divided by 2 plus solo tackles) in two years of play.

Smith had played in 48 games, having recorded 6 total sacks (same formula as tackles above), 16 TFL and 109 total tackles.

Norman may have been less of a contributor overall, but he was good enough to make appearances in 38 games and have 42 total tackles over his career at Georgia.

Georgia's biggest losses were on offense, but according to what I have read, it seems that with all that they have coming back on defense, they are still having a hard time finding folks who are willing step up and produce, or at least that is what I got from what I have read.
Go Hogs Go!

GlassofSwine

I think this is one of the SEC games that is winnable next year. In LR, with Murray gone and all the other losses. I also believe having Gurley as their best offensive weapon plays more into our defensive strengths than if we were going up against a high powered passing attack.

TMc

April 18, 2014, 04:14:02 am #23 Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:39:43 pm by TMc
I thought we might beat Georgia this year too. But looking at the schedule it goes: A&M, Alabama, then Georgia.  How beat up will we be? The QB they have now looks very good to me, he can move and throw it all over the place.  I think it's going to be a difficult game for us to win.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TMc on April 18, 2014, 04:14:02 am
I thought we might be Georgia this year too. But looking at the schedule it goes: A&M, Alabama, then Georgia.  How beat up will we be? The QB they have now looks very good to me, he can move and throw it all over the place.  I think it's going to be a difficult game for us to win.

Keep in mind that they lose 3 starters from their offensive line this season who averaged 40 games of playing experience each. They return 3 kids on the OL that have an accumulated total of 27 starts, but 13 of those belong to one player. Of course, by the time we get them they will have had 6 games under their belt including Clemson, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Vandy and Missouri. Five of their first six games aren't a cakewalk.
Go Hogs Go!

TMc

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2014, 07:30:35 am
Keep in mind that they lose 3 starters from their offensive line this season who averaged 40 games of playing experience each. They return 3 kids on the OL that have an accumulated total of 27 starts, but 13 of those belong to one player. Of course, by the time we get them they will have had 6 games under their belt including Clemson, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Vandy and Missouri. Five of their first six games aren't a cakewalk.

Well I'm with you.., in my gut I feel like we beat them in the Rock.  It depends on how we develop early.  It would be a great win if we could pull it off.  It should be a great atmosphere to set it up.

Cotton

Interesting some on here say they lost a lot and we could beat them, while the SEC experts have pegged them as NC title contenders (for example Barrett Sallee today on Bo's show).

I think we have some factors in our favor like I said above, but Georgia is gonna be good this year no matter what they lost.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Cotton on April 18, 2014, 05:11:17 pm
Interesting some on here say they lost a lot and we could beat them, while the SEC experts have pegged them as NC title contenders (for example Barrett Sallee today on Bo's show).

I think we have some factors in our favor like I said above, but Georgia is gonna be good this year no matter what they lost.

If experts have Georgia pegged as possibly being in the national championship then they are no experts in my opinion.  How many national championship games has mark Richt played in as a head coach?  0. He will never get to the national championship game.

If you consider 7 or 8 wins as good then you are right about Georgia this year.  That's about how many games they will win this coming season. 

Looking at there schedule.  I could see why experts would think that.  They play auburn from the west at home and that is it.  They don't face LSU or Alabama. I still say they lose at least 3 games this year.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bennyl08

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 19, 2014, 10:46:46 am
If experts have Georgia pegged as possibly being in the national championship then they are no experts in my opinion.  How many national championship games has mark Richt played in as a head coach?  0. He will never get to the national championship game.

If you consider 7 or 8 wins as good then you are right about Georgia this year.  That's about how many games they will win this coming season. 

Looking at there schedule.  I could see why experts would think that.  They play auburn from the west at home and that is it.  They don't face LSU or Alabama. I still say they lose at least 3 games this year.

Who on their schedule do they not have the talent to defeat? Their toughest game will be vs Auburn. They can go toe to toe with them in the run game, UGA has better receivers, and at the moment, Auburn may have the advantage at the qb position, but come mid-november, who knows. Personally, I think Mason is a better thrower than Marshall. SC will be their second toughest game, but Georgia certainly has the talent to win that game. Either Mizzour or Florida will the their third toughest. They certainly have the schedule and talent to go undefeated. They also have a tendency to not do that as well.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 19, 2014, 01:01:35 pm
Who on their schedule do they not have the talent to defeat? Their toughest game will be vs Auburn. They can go toe to toe with them in the run game, UGA has better receivers, and at the moment, Auburn may have the advantage at the qb position, but come mid-november, who knows. Personally, I think Mason is a better thrower than Marshall. SC will be their second toughest game, but Georgia certainly has the talent to win that game. Either Mizzour or Florida will the their third toughest. They certainly have the schedule and talent to go undefeated. They also have a tendency to not do that as well.

They have the talent every year.  The problem isn't the talent. It has and always will be Mark Richt. 

They have had the schedule to go undefeated a few years under him and never have. Under mark Richt they will never win a national championship or even play in one.

Cotton

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 19, 2014, 10:46:46 am

Past appearances don't have anything to do with potential appearance this year.

Only 2 teams play for the title, but it would be foolish to say there aren't around 15 or more "Title Contenders" each year.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

bennyl08

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 19, 2014, 01:15:21 pm
They have the talent every year.  The problem isn't the talent. It has and always will be Mark Richt. 

They have had the schedule to go undefeated a few years under him and never have. Under mark Richt they will never win a national championship or even play in one.

He was able to coach neck and neck vs Nick Saban in the SECCG. I agree that they can do better, but the odds of finding a coach better are quite low. Look at LSU. Les isn't a genius by any stretch, but he has really good defensive coordinators, and enough talent on offense to win (until they got Cameron, now they have a really good OC too). UGA has a new DC. Whether or not he's an upgrade has obviously yet to be determined. However, I don't buy the idea that they CAN'T win or at least appear in a  NC game under Richt. They have a tendency to ebb and flow. Last year was an ebb, and 2015 will be a rough year for them. However, 2014 has a ridiculously experienced football team and an easy schedule as far the SEC is concerned. Ergo, NC contender.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Cotton on April 19, 2014, 04:57:10 pm
Past appearances don't have anything to do with potential appearance this year.

Only 2 teams play for the title, but it would be foolish to say there aren't around 15 or more "Title Contenders" each year.

Mark Richts potential is close to national championship.  His teams are national championship caliber.   No matter what kind of team he has he will never make it to the championship game.

I never said there aren't contenders. I'm just saying Mark Richt will never play in one.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 19, 2014, 05:43:50 pm
He was able to coach neck and neck vs Nick Saban in the SECCG. I agree that they can do better, but the odds of finding a coach better are quite low. Look at LSU. Les isn't a genius by any stretch, but he has really good defensive coordinators, and enough talent on offense to win (until they got Cameron, now they have a really good OC too). UGA has a new DC. Whether or not he's an upgrade has obviously yet to be determined. However, I don't buy the idea that they CAN'T win or at least appear in a  NC game under Richt. They have a tendency to ebb and flow. Last year was an ebb, and 2015 will be a rough year for them. However, 2014 has a ridiculously experienced football team and an easy schedule as far the SEC is concerned. Ergo, NC contender.

You are right that they have a tendency to "ebb & flow" in terms of great seasons and not so good seasons. And Richt actually should be contending for the SECCG every year, if you just look at the successful recruiting classes that he has had. But they are pretty good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory from time to time.

By all rights, they should have a very successful season though they lost their starting QB. But since 2004 they have had a tendency to have 2 double digit win seasons in a row, then 1 or 2 seasons in a row where they have single digit win seasons before returning to a couple of double digit win seasons back to back.

But since 2006 and when Georgia has had a Sr. at QB, they have gone 8-5 and when they have had a Soph or Jr at QB they have had double digit win seasons 4 times. I don't think that having Mason Hutson (who is a Sr.) with some experience at the helm, is a guarantee that they are going to have a great season.

We'll see, but I think they are beatable.
Go Hogs Go!