Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arknasas in-state LB recruits (few yet far between)

Started by downsouthhawg72, April 14, 2014, 04:28:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

downsouthhawg72

I'm kinda surpirsed the state of Arkansas don't produce more LB's like the Brooks Ellis type at least once a year. That's really not much to ask for in getting 1 Stud LB out of this state a year. Why do you all think we can't get at least 1 a year every year out of all the players in this state.
DownSouthHawg

ricepig

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on April 14, 2014, 04:28:50 pm
I'm kinda surpirsed the state of Arkansas don't produce more LB's like the Brooks Ellis type at least once a year. That's really not much to ask for in getting 1 Stud LB out of this state a year. Why do you all think we can't get at least 1 a year every year out of all the players in this state.

SEC quality LB's are few and far between, no matter the state.

Huds_HawgTide

we have so really good athletic ones in southern and eastern arkansas but they usually play multiple positions and usually dont make grades for college
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

MH04

Dre Greenlaw from Fayetteville and Avery Johnson from Highland are two prospects in state who are S/LB type players

onebadrubi

It's because the stud types are transformed to other positions early on.  In 8 or 9th grade the types that would be great are needed to be a RB or maybe TE plus the MLb.  Well, it's more flashy to be a RB.  So coaches have started the trend at a younger age. 

hogville38

Linebacker in the SEC takes special players. Kids who are extremely physical. Not many kids welcome the hard hitting only the good ones want to hit.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogville38 on April 15, 2014, 03:08:34 am
Linebacker in the SEC takes special players. Kids who are extremely physical. Not many kids welcome the hard hitting only the good ones want to hit.

They guys I know who played MLB are almost crazy.  I'm talking about eating broken glass type of crazy.  Seriously...they seem to almost get a high off of pain.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

secneahog

Quote from: MH04 on April 14, 2014, 04:39:07 pm
Dre Greenlaw from Fayetteville and Avery Johnson from Highland are two prospects in state who are S/LB type players

I like both of those prospects.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 04:31:13 pm
SEC quality LB's are few and far between, no matter the state.

a quality LB is a quality LB.   I'll take a Khalil Mack any day of the week, as would every other SEC team.  He had no other offers coming out of high school in S. Florida other than his Buffalo offer.  We have signed a few highly rated ones, ones that had really good offers, and some outright sleepers.  None have panned out.  Rather that is poor evaluatinon/recruiting, poor development, or both,  we just have to do a better job of evaluating and developing LB's- period.

The 10 best projected OLB's in the upcoming NFL draft are not from the SEC and only 4 of the top 25 total are from the SEC 

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2014&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=27

Just 2 of the top 14 MLB's are from the SEC

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2014&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=65

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on April 15, 2014, 02:20:05 pm
a quality LB is a quality LB.   I'll take a Khalil Mack any day of the week, as would every other SEC team.  He had no other offers coming out of high school in S. Florida other than his Buffalo offer.  We have signed a few highly rated ones, ones that had really good offers, and some outright sleepers.  None have panned out.  Rather that is poor evaluatinon/recruiting, poor development, or both,  we just have to do a better job of evaluating and developing LB's- period.

The 10 best projected OLB's in the upcoming NFL draft are not from the SEC and only 4 of the top 25 total are from the SEC 

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2014&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=27

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2014&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=65

Which just proves how few there are, much less in Arkansas.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2014, 02:24:18 pm
Which just proves how few there are, much less in Arkansas.

indeed they don't grow on trees.  i just think people get too caught up in phrases like "SEC Quality LB's" rather than just  "Quality LB's".  We just need to get a few each year that can get off blocks, diagnose  the play and make tackles. 

Since we play in the SEC i guess that would make infact make them "SEC Quality" :)

downsouthhawg72

I think it goes to the High school coaches are not teaching LB play like they should. Out of all the schools, players in Arkansas, it's not or shouldn't be that hard for the whole State combined to produce just 1 good LB prospect a year. If that happens we don't have as big of a LB problem. We talk about Dre & Avery, they are safety's being talked about as LB so their converted. Need to put a tough player at LB early & leave him there so when he gets to college he don't have to switch to play LB. Case & point. The guy from Ft Smith that's playing LB right now. He will come in playing the position he played in college.
DownSouthHawg

JackJohnson

of course, if we want to be technical about it the state has produced 1 per year from 2010-2013

2010- Braylon Mitchell will be a 2 year starter
2011- Speight even though he went to JC he graduated HS in 2011
2012- AJ Turner would have likely been in line to start and was SEC All Fr
2013- Ellis

Now we can debate the quality of the above players, however they all were/are contributing.

i agree if we can continue to get at least one contributer/starter from the state each year at LB it will make everything a lot better for us

secneahog

Quote from: JackJohnson on April 15, 2014, 02:58:29 pm
of course, if we want to be technical about it the state has produced 1 per year from 2010-2013

2010- Braylon Mitchell will be a 2 year starter
2011- Speight even though he went to JC he graduated HS in 2011
2012- AJ Turner would have likely been in line to start and was SEC All Fr
2013- Ellis

Now we can debate the quality of the above players, however they all were/are contributing.

i agree if we can continue to get at least one contributer/starter from the state each year at LB it will make everything a lot better for us

Your correct.

Braylon. Rb.
Spaight. Bad grades had to juco.
Aj. Work ethic sucked.
Ellis. Real deal.

So yeah it's hard to find legit linebackers who can get accepted to division 1 and have a great upside.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: secneahog on April 15, 2014, 03:46:01 pm

Your correct.

Braylon. Rb.
Spaight. Bad grades had to juco.
Aj. Work ethic sucked.
Ellis. Real deal.

So yeah it's hard to find legit linebackers who can get accepted to division 1 and have a great upside.

AJ Turner was thrown into the fire as a true freshman and responded very well, made the SEC all-freshman team if I remember correctly.

Following that impressive freshman year he injured his wrist and for some reason it would never heal properly.  The last diagnosis I read was that part of the bone in the wrist was dead and they were going to try to surgically repair the bone so it would heal.

Sucky work ethic?  I don't think so.  Sucky lack of knowing what you're talking about is the correct answer here.

Wouldn't surprise me if Mitchell and/or Spaight had a decent to break out year now with one year under their belt and a DC that knows how to coach winning defense with equal to inferior talent.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Porkatarian

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 15, 2014, 10:47:08 pm
AJ Turner was thrown into the fire as a true freshman and responded very well, made the SEC all-freshman team if I remember correctly.

Following that impressive freshman year he injured his wrist and for some reason it would never heal properly.  The last diagnosis I read was that part of the bone in the wrist was dead and they were going to try to surgically repair the bone so it would heal.

Sucky work ethic?  I don't think so.  Sucky lack of knowing what you're talking about is the correct answer here.

Unfortunately there was a LOT more to AJ Turner's leaving than his wrist injury.  Perhaps you should make sure you know what you're talking about before accusing other posters of not knowing what they're talking about.

Porkatarian out....
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

ricepig

Quote from: Porkatarian on April 16, 2014, 06:40:33 am
Unfortunately there was a LOT more to AJ Turner's leaving than his wrist injury.  Perhaps you should make sure you know what you're talking about before accusing other posters of not knowing what they're talking about.

Porkatarian out....

Yep, only a small part of it, but it doesn't help when you are playing Phi Slamma Jamma in the HYPER building with a broken wrist.

whippersnapper

Khairan Stafford of Newport is one to watch for. He plays MLB for the hounds and sticks his hand in the dirt every now and then to. He is working on quickness this off season to try and get faster. The hogs and Mizzou have shown some interest.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: JackJohnson on April 15, 2014, 02:20:05 pm

I would agree with this. Look at the size of these guys and go look at the size of our guys. We need to get some more size that are 'glass-eating pain lov'n kinda guys. It seems like we have always played with undersized LB's. I've always said speed kills and will stick with that, but on the inside you still gotta be able to stand your ground amongst the big uglies.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

secneahog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 15, 2014, 10:47:08 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if Mitchell and/or Spaight had a decent to break out year now with one year under their belt and a DC that knows how to coach winning defense with equal to inferior talent.

I bump into his family a lot in EPC. just because you have a lack of knowledge doesn't mean I do.

redleg

Dre Greenlaw could end up being like 2014 signee Dwayne Eugene. Eugene played safety in high school, but will be a LB at Arkansas. The same for Khalia Hackett and Randy Ramsey. But Greenlaw and Eugene are very similar physically...6'1" 215 lbs. 4.55 speed.
Avery Johnson has the ability and size (6'2" 200 lbs. 4.5) to become a very good OLB in college. He could easily bulk up to 235 lbs by his sophomore year if he redshirted.

Some in-state LB/Athletes to watch for in "15 & "16:
2015 Ian Jackson 6'2" 210 lbs. 4.5 Ft. Smith Southside
2015 Justise Austin 6'0 1/2" 225 lbs. 4.6 NLR
2015 Emmanuel Cooper 6'2" 220 lbs. 4.6 Arkadelphia
2016 4* Deontre Hardwick 6'1 1/2" 230 lbs. 4.5 Ft. Smith Northside
2016 Jordan Jones 6'2" 185 lbs. 4.5 Smackover

Hardwick is the real deal, and could easily be the next great Razorback at LB. It is almost a done deal that as soon as Arkansas offers he will immediately commit.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: redleg on April 25, 2014, 09:25:18 am
Dre Greenlaw could end up being like 2014 signee Dwayne Eugene. Eugene played safety in high school, but will be a LB at Arkansas. The same for Khalia Hackett and Randy Ramsey. But Greenlaw and Eugene are very similar physically...6'1" 215 lbs. 4.55 speed.
Avery Johnson has the ability and size (6'2" 200 lbs. 4.5) to become a very good OLB in college. He could easily bulk up to 235 lbs by his sophomore year if he redshirted.

Some in-state LB/Athletes to watch for in "15 & "16:
2015 Ian Jackson 6'2" 210 lbs. 4.5 Ft. Smith Southside
2015 Justise Austin 6'0 1/2" 225 lbs. 4.6 NLR
2015 Emmanuel Cooper 6'2" 220 lbs. 4.6 Arkadelphia
2016 4* Deontre Hardwick 6'1 1/2" 230 lbs. 4.5 Ft. Smith Northside
2016 Jordan Jones 6'2" 185 lbs. 4.5 Smackover

Hardwick is the real deal, and could easily be the next great Razorback at LB. It is almost a done deal that as soon as Arkansas offers he will immediately commit.

I have two close friends in FS who follow HS football closely, and they agree.  They both think Hardwick is the real deal and consider him a "must get" for the UA.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PorkRinds

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 25, 2014, 10:58:26 am
I have two close friends in FS who follow HS football closely, and they agree.  They both think Hardwick is the real deal and consider him a "must get" for the UA.   

I've seen him play quite a few games, and I can say without a doubt that he is the real deal.  Dude is a beast and hits like nobody's business.  He's a head hunter, and pretty fast too.

hs6

Is Jackson back at Southside? Last I heard, he was kicked off after punching a coach and ended up at Northside.

31to6

Quote from: hs6 on April 25, 2014, 12:02:03 pm
Is Jackson back at Southside? Last I heard, he was kicked off after punching a coach and ended up at Northside.
LB material

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

ricepig

You do know why it didn't heel properly?

secneahog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 28, 2014, 09:45:09 pm
The previous poster gave an opinion that A.J. Turner's work ethic sucked.  I replayed that he didn't know what he was talking about because he injured his wrist and it never healed properly.

You come on here and as usually act like you know something but say nothing except tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, but I evidently have an advantage over you in that I can read.

Here's an article with quotes from CBB talking about Turner having a wrist injury all during the spring of 2013 coming off SEC freshman honors.

http://www.democrattribune.com/story/1994627.html

Here's an article, just one of many I randomly selected that points out that Turner was out for the fall 2013 season with the same wrist injury.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1892797-four-arkansas-football-players-looking-to-transfer

It doesn't matter what other perceived mental, legal, or attitude issues you may imply that he had, you can't reach your full potential as a football player and be your best with a broken wrist.

You don't know what kind of player he would have been or what kind of season he would have had last year had he not been injured. 

You like to try to fool the gullible on here with your innuendo that you have inside info, fine.  Just at least show some common sense from time to time.  I don't think you have any but luckily that's not a problem for you since you can just fake it.

Aj wouldn't do his rehab sessions on schedule. 
He had a broken wrist and is playing pick up basketball games in epc dunking on everybody and re injured his wrist.

He stayed at epc and wouldn't stay in Fayetteville to get right and do his rehab right.

Did he have potential? ..Yeah ..that is common sense.

He didn't show the want to heal right..rehab etc...If someone don't care then the coaches won't care.

prisonhog

Quote from: whippersnapper on April 16, 2014, 10:40:59 am
Khairan Stafford of Newport is one to watch for. He plays MLB for the hounds and sticks his hand in the dirt every now and then to. He is working on quickness this off season to try and get faster. The hogs and Mizzou have shown some interest.

Stafford is a quality kid. Good grades, works hard. He will hit you. My understanding is the Hogs wanted to see him at camp before they offered.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

NLRHog92

Quote from: hs6 on April 25, 2014, 12:02:03 pm
Pretty sure he's still at Northside. Which is good, because he can play with Daytrieon Dean. But Southside's coaches are better I have to say.

Quote from: tophawgwatcher on April 25, 2014, 08:42:35 pm
thought jordan was a wr
He is. And we'll offer by the end of the summer.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 29, 2014, 01:17:07 am
Pretty sure he's still at Northside. Which is good, because he can play with Daytrieon Dean. But Southside's coaches are better I have to say.
He is. And we'll offer by the end of the summer.

I can't speak to the Southside vs Northside coaches top to bottom.  But the new (1 year) Northside D Coordinator is pretty good.  He coached 2 future NFL players while in Georgia.

I can't get a straight answer regarding Jackson.  He showed up one day at Northside and then nobody saw him anymore.

Grizzlyfan

By the way, keep an eye on another 2016 graduate in the Northside secondary this season.  Keondre Thomas.  He is developing a big time body and he is winning 200 M races during the track season.

Grizzlyfan

Can anybody in Fayetteville confirm that Jackson is now attending FHS?

Waldron_Hog

A couple months ago his dad told me he was going to Fayetteville this year.
Said Ian wants to go to osu though.