Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FromtheBench-Cheap Pops: Time to Wipe Away the Tears of Last Season and Get Ready for Winning Again

Started by Robert Shields, April 14, 2014, 10:38:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Cheap Pops: Time to Wipe Away the Tears of Last Season and Get Ready for Winning Again

Robert Shields

Since it is spring practice and all you can have right now as a fan is hope, this column will take the positive spin to bring you new expectations of promise.  After leaving the silvery white winter of the Razorback football team's worst season in history, it's time for it to melt away into a blooming spring.

Speaking of blooming, Brandon Allen has blossomed into an SEC-caliber quarterback. Back in the fall of 2013 when Allen was struggling mightily on the field, Bo Mattingly made the proclamation on his radio show that before Allen left Fayetteville he would be as good as or better than Connor Shaw was at South Carolina. Allen's trip to that high point starts now. His marks during spring have been good, and he has been deadly accurate. Looks like Mattingly is on the money as usual.

Let's assume that Allen has become an extremely proficient passer even as the Razorback defense has become even stronger in its coverage. Both may be happening simultaneously, but Allen is progressing at a faster rate, which is a bad sign for Auburn and the rest of the schools in line for an upcoming air raid. Turn on the sirens because the Razorback offense is fixing to blow through the SEC.

Running back Alex Collins is back in the coach's good graces after violations of team rules and Twitter policies and is going to be a more polished runner improving on the high bar he set last year as a true freshman. He will be one of the elite running backs in the SEC next season. Any talk of him ever thinking about transferring is hogwash and was probably hatched by someone in Wisconsin shut in for the winter with nothing better to do.

Tight end Hunter Henry is going to be even more solid than he was last season and will probably be one of the best tight ends in the SEC next year in spite of playing catch up after coming in from the playground attack of Pulaski Academy. Henry will be an easy target for Allen and gather several touchdowns in his sophomore campaign. Along with Henry, receiver Keon Hatcher will continue to come on and be a dependable receiver who fans can complain doesn't get enough touches.

Last season, Arkansas was very close to going to a bowl game, but the breaks just went against them. We all know the Razorbacks easily could have been 6-6 last season and enjoying the spoils of a trip to the BBVA Compass Bowl along with a busload of grateful fans.

If Allen is healthy, the Razorbacks would have clobbered Rutgers, which finished the season 6-7 in the always tough American Athletic Conference. Even with Allen out and using a quarterback with no experience on the road, the Scarlet Knights still had to mount a furious fourth-quarter comeback including a punt return to upset the Hogs. The game could have gone the other way if just a few breaks would have gone the Razorbacks' way. The first break would have been for the athletic director not to schedule this game.

The Razorbacks definitely showed improvement in the last two games of the season. In Little Rock, they had Mississippi State on the ropes and were about to put the game away. The Hogs drove the field and had victory in their grasp but fumbled it away at the goal line. The game should have been a win right there with fans emptying out into the golf course to set fire to every porta-potty in the way. Instead, Mississippi State drove the field and sent the game into overtime. And in overtime, the Bulldogs used their third string quarterback to score the game-winning touchdown and no porta-potties were harmed.

The next week against a much more talented LSU team on the road in Baton Rouge, the Razorback led the Tigers throughout most of the game. They had LSU pinned deep with 99 yards to stop them. They had the victory until LSU got some breaks and their second-string quarterback drove them the distance with much of it coming on blown defensive coverage in the secondary.

Had those three games turned out as they should have, the Hogs go to a bowl game and the outlook for most fans would be much rosier right now. So for the Hog faithful, wipe away the reasons why the losses happened and pretend the Razorbacks won as they really should have in the first place. The reward of buying tickets and making a trip to a mid-level bowl will be there next season.

In September when the ball is kicked off for the first game in front of sellout in the luxury boxes, the Razorback coaching staff on the defensive side will have its act together and the defense will improve to make Texas A&M the worst defense in the SEC. They will get the younger players to step up and limit their mistakes to improve from the disaster of last season that you should forget about right now.

There is only one place for this team to go, and that is up where Petrino had them.

Send your reasons why I am wrong about the positive outlook for next season to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

PorkRinds

Ā 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 14, 2014, 10:38:39 am
Cheap Pops: Time to Wipe Away the Tears of Last Season and Get Ready for Winning Again

Robert Shields

Since it is spring practice and all you can have right now as a fan is hope, this column will take the positive spin to bring you new expectations of promise.  After leaving the silvery white winter of the Razorback football team's worst season in history, it's time for it to melt away into a blooming spring.

Speaking of blooming, Brandon Allen has blossomed into an SEC-caliber quarterback. Back in the fall of 2013 when Allen was struggling mightily on the field, Bo Mattingly made the proclamation on his radio show that before Allen left Fayetteville he would be as good as or better than Connor Shaw was at South Carolina. Allen's trip to that high point starts now. His marks during spring have been good, and he has been deadly accurate. Looks like Mattingly is on the money as usual.

Let's assume that Allen has become an extremely proficient passer even as the Razorback defense has become even stronger in its coverage. Both may be happening simultaneously, but Allen is progressing at a faster rate, which is a bad sign for Auburn and the rest of the schools in line for an upcoming air raid. Turn on the sirens because the Razorback offense is fixing to blow through the SEC.

Running back Alex Collins is back in the coach's good graces after violations of team rules and Twitter policies and is going to be a more polished runner improving on the high bar he set last year as a true freshman. He will be one of the elite running backs in the SEC next season. Any talk of him ever thinking about transferring is hogwash and was probably hatched by someone in Wisconsin shut in for the winter with nothing better to do.

Tight end Hunter Henry is going to be even more solid than he was last season and will probably be one of the best tight ends in the SEC next year in spite of playing catch up after coming in from the playground attack of Pulaski Academy. Henry will be an easy target for Allen and gather several touchdowns in his sophomore campaign. Along with Henry, receiver Keon Hatcher will continue to come on and be a dependable receiver who fans can complain doesn't get enough touches.

Last season, Arkansas was very close to going to a bowl game, but the breaks just went against them. We all know the Razorbacks easily could have been 6-6 last season and enjoying the spoils of a trip to the BBVA Compass Bowl along with a busload of grateful fans.

If Allen is healthy, the Razorbacks would have clobbered Rutgers, which finished the season 6-7 in the always tough American Athletic Conference. Even with Allen out and using a quarterback with no experience on the road, the Scarlet Knights still had to mount a furious fourth-quarter comeback including a punt return to upset the Hogs. The game could have gone the other way if just a few breaks would have gone the Razorbacks' way. The first break would have been for the athletic director not to schedule this game.

The Razorbacks definitely showed improvement in the last two games of the season. In Little Rock, they had Mississippi State on the ropes and were about to put the game away. The Hogs drove the field and had victory in their grasp but fumbled it away at the goal line. The game should have been a win right there with fans emptying out into the golf course to set fire to every porta-potty in the way. Instead, Mississippi State drove the field and sent the game into overtime. And in overtime, the Bulldogs used their third string quarterback to score the game-winning touchdown and no porta-potties were harmed.

The next week against a much more talented LSU team on the road in Baton Rouge, the Razorback led the Tigers throughout most of the game. They had LSU pinned deep with 99 yards to stop them. They had the victory until LSU got some breaks and their second-string quarterback drove them the distance with much of it coming on blown defensive coverage in the secondary.

Had those three games turned out as they should have, the Hogs go to a bowl game and the outlook for most fans would be much rosier right now. So for the Hog faithful, wipe away the reasons why the losses happened and pretend the Razorbacks won as they really should have in the first place. The reward of buying tickets and making a trip to a mid-level bowl will be there next season.

In September when the ball is kicked off for the first game in front of sellout in the luxury boxes, the Razorback coaching staff on the defensive side will have its act together and the defense will improve to make Texas A&M the worst defense in the SEC. They will get the younger players to step up and limit their mistakes to improve from the disaster of last season that you should forget about right now.

There is only one place for this team to go, and that is up where Petrino had them.

Send your reasons why I am wrong about the positive outlook for next season to fromthebench@yahoo.com.
I now know for sure that almost anything is possible! That's just been confirmed by an actual POSITIVE post by RS. Will wonders never cease!? Good job for finding something upbeat to write about. I'll tag this as a "moment to remember" post. An actual +1.

Hoggish1

bigbadhog

Robert Shields

:)
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

PorkRinds

The_Iceman

LZH

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

bigbadhog

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 14, 2014, 11:11:56 am

Bingo, the "upcoming air raid" was a pretty good indication...

That and the complete 180 in his overall outlook...

bigbadhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2014, 11:12:42 am
That and the complete 180 in his overall outlook...

Correct, it would be like me posting all the reasons I like BB and actually having some...

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 14, 2014, 11:15:00 am
Correct, it would be like me posting all the reasons I like BB and actually having some...

Lol.  There's some truth to that.  I may have to take you off my ignore list BBH.  You've redeemed yourself.   ;D

Ā 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2014, 11:15:49 am
Lol.  There's some truth to that.  I may have to take you off my ignore list BBH.  You've redeemed yourself.   ;D

PorkHinds, Have you seen our schedule?

bigbadhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2014, 11:15:49 am

Your not so bad either PR...

Turminator

goodguytex

Yeah... As soon as I saw the words air raid from him.... I knew there was a huge flag on the play. More Bs from shields.

Sed76

chitwnhog

Rey Pygsterio

I have to agree with Shields on cause for optimism. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well spring practice is going based on what the UA allows to be released.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

Hawgboy64

"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Hogfaniam

Well, I guess it's a start Robert.

I know that had to hurt, but there was enough sarcasm amongst some rosy truth to keep me from worrying about you slitting your wrists over printing what you did.

I appreciate you trying.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

kingofdequeen

Ā 

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

razoredge178

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 14, 2014, 10:46:43 am
Shields turns the page, he's seen the light... LMAO

No..he's just put on his hog-colored glasses to shield the tar and feathering that comes with the truth that next season shall bring.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2014, 11:17:56 am
TheRazorbackGay, yes.  WHy?

PorkHinds, take a look at the schedule. 5-7 would be a good record looking at next years schedule.

DeltaBoy

Robert Shields

Since it is spring practice and all you can have right now as a fan is hope, this column will take the positive spin to bring you new expectations of promise.  After leaving the silvery white winter of the Razorback football team’s worst season in history, it’s time for it to melt away into a blooming spring.

Speaking of blooming, Brandon Allen has blossomed into an SEC-caliber quarterback. Back in the fall of 2013 when Allen was struggling mightily on the field, Bo Mattingly made the proclamation on his radio show that before Allen left Fayetteville he would be as good as or better than Connor Shaw was at South Carolina. Allen’s trip to that high point starts now. His marks during spring have been good, and he has been deadly accurate. Looks like Mattingly is on the money as usual.

Let’s assume that Allen has become an extremely proficient passer even as the Razorback defense has become even stronger in its coverage. Both may be happening simultaneously, but Allen is progressing at a faster rate, which is a bad sign for Auburn and the rest of the schools in line for an upcoming air raid. Turn on the sirens because the Razorback offense is fixing to blow through the SEC.

Running back Alex Collins is back in the coach’s good graces after violations of team rules and Twitter policies and is going to be a more polished runner improving on the high bar he set last year as a true freshman. He will be one of the elite running backs in the SEC next season. Any talk of him ever thinking about transferring is hogwash and was probably hatched by someone in Wisconsin shut in for the winter with nothing better to do.

Tight end Hunter Henry is going to be even more solid than he was last season and will probably be one of the best tight ends in the SEC next year in spite of playing catch up after coming in from the playground attack of Pulaski Academy. Henry will be an easy target for Allen and gather several touchdowns in his sophomore campaign. Along with Henry, receiver Keon Hatcher will continue to come on and be a dependable receiver who fans can complain doesn’t get enough touches.

If Allen is healthy, the Razorbacks would have clobbered Rutgers, which finished the season 6-7 in the always tough American Athletic Conference. Even with Allen out and using a quarterback with no experience on the road, the Scarlet Knights still had to mount a furious fourth-quarter comeback including a punt return to upset the Hogs. The game could have gone the other way if just a few breaks would have gone the Razorbacks’ way. The first break would have been for the athletic director not to schedule this game.

Good read today.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

secneahog

Very vanilla post. Crappy post. Gets into details why we are horrible so you write a somewhat positive post that is vanilla.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

goodguytex

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: CattleCorn on April 14, 2014, 01:40:57 pm
+1 to the both of you for the clever insults. 

Thanks Cattle, I like PorkRinds. I just like to pick on him and I got a sense of humor on his nickname for me too. PorkRinds is knowledgable at football. I will give him that

PorkRinds

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 14, 2014, 02:34:24 pm
Thanks Cattle, I like PorkRinds. I just like to pick on him and I got a sense of humor on his nickname for me too. PorkRinds is knowledgable at football. I will give him that

Lol.  I don't consider them insults.  There more like terms of endearment.  ;D

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2014, 02:42:51 pm
Lol.  I don't consider them insults.  There more like terms of endearment.  ;D

PorkHinds, Not at all endearment but a matter of comic humor.

MJ2

Hummm.... I don't know what to think.   Guess all writers eventually wander into writing fiction.

Will DGB go to Louisville?

Chic-Hog-Oh

It's possible it's sarcasm. The numerous references to "BBVA" and "mid-level bowls" as being the high ceiling (and also as being appealing to "grateful" fans....??) is a giveaway....

Professor Psychosis

One man's positive is another man's pandering.

But hey, you gotta throw your audience a bone every now and then.  It's always good to mix it up.

chitwnhog

Quote from: MJ2 on April 14, 2014, 04:18:51 pm
Hummm.... I don't know what to think.   Guess all writers eventually wander into writing fiction.
Will DGB go to Louisville?

Lolz...I wondered when someone would bring up DGB to Arkansas or Louisville.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: chitwnhog on April 14, 2014, 04:31:06 pm
Lolz...I wondered when someone would bring up DGB to Arkansas or Louisville.

PorkHinds knows more about the DGB situation on where he is transferring to. I think he said 1-AA Missouri State recently

chitwnhog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 14, 2014, 04:39:30 pm
PorkHinds knows more about the DGB situation on where he is transferring to. I think he said 1-AA Missouri State recently

No way!!! Auburn Lock!!!

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Johnny Razorback

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

PygmalionEffect

Man o Man, I almost spewed coke all over my computer monitor when I read that line. 

Wow.... let me catch my breath....... funniest thing I've read in quite some time.

Am I doing it right?

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on April 14, 2014, 12:45:53 pm
Shield's must have a intern writing for him this week.....

Hmmmmm......It's possible.....;).....or it could be that maybe he is starting to have hope for the new season. 

I happen to think that "maybe" he's not the grinch after all........  :)

Who IS Robert Shields?!?! 

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bphi11ips

Shields reeling in the mulletts .  .  .
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.