Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 and one thing that will make a difference in our record?

Started by Lake City Hog, April 13, 2014, 09:33:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

What is the one thing/player/coach that has changed from 2013 that will make a difference in our final record?

I will go first--------

Robb Smith and Clay Jennings

These 2 guys will make our secondary exponentially better.
Plus I think that with so many new/young quarterbacks coming into the league a more aggressive defense will give us more opportunities for turnovers.

I am claiming 1 extra win for each guy. I had us winning Nichols State, NIU, UAB and ATM. I think these 2 coaches will get us over the hump against Texas Tech and Ole Miss. I am hoping that the offense can pull out another one to make us bowl eligible.

Lake City Hog

Hawgboy64

"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

14erHog

We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer.
Zakk Wylde

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

plumbhog

The coaching staff seems to be putting in a real team effort. Leading by example!
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Jborohog09 on April 13, 2014, 10:02:36 pm
Positive turnover margin.

This. Our defense has gotten basically gotten no TOs the past 2 seasons. And when you can't keep anyone under 25pts this is a huge problem.

Not to mention our ball security 2 years ago was laughable, and last we we struggled to get big plays.

bigred223

Dominant offensive line play. This is the key for our offense to be balanced.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

A healthy red-shirt junior 4 star QB with two years under the same staff.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razoredge178

Quote from: root_hawg on April 14, 2014, 07:55:59 am
Healthy QB

Choosing the right QB will be huge for BB's career at Arkansas. I think the fan base will give him a lot longer leash with our freshman star vs. 2 more years with BA.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: lchog on April 13, 2014, 09:33:07 pm
What is the one thing/player/coach that has changed from 2013 that will make a difference in our final record?

I will go first--------

Plus I think that with so many new/young quarterbacks coming into the league a more aggressive defense will give us more opportunities for turnovers.

I am claiming 1 extra win for each guy. I had us winning Nichols State, NIU, UAB and ATM. I think these 2 coaches will get us over the hump against Texas Tech and Ole Miss. I am hoping that the offense can pull out another one to make us bowl eligible.

I dont know why so many are overlooking Ole Miss. If Ole Miss is ever going to get over the hump in the SEC, it will start this year. I hate to say it, they have the chance to have a really special season this year.

I do think we beat Mizzou this year tho...

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 14, 2014, 08:34:34 am
Choosing the right QB will be huge for BB's career at Arkansas. I think the fan base will give him a lot longer leash with our freshman star vs. 2 more years with BA.

Not happening. Bret is going to ride Brandon, barring a unforeseen injury. Rafe will redshirt which is a good thing in my opinion. 2015 will be the year Brandon is unseated.

PRJ

bphi11ips

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 14, 2014, 09:06:19 am
I dont know why so many are overlooking Ole Miss. If Ole Miss is ever going to get over the hump in the SEC, it will start this year. I hate to say it, they have the chance to have a really special season this year.

I do think we beat Mizzou this year tho...

PRJ

I don't know if we'll beat anyone in the SEC.  There's not a weak team in the West this year, and that includes us.  I do think we'll surprise some people.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 14, 2014, 09:11:20 am
I don't know if we'll beat anyone in the SEC.  There's not a weak team in the West this year, and that includes us.  I do think we'll surprise some people.   

I hope you are right on the surprising some people part. I do think we win one or two SEC games.

PRJ

hawg IQ

I will go first--------

So, two things then.  I'm gonna list two things needed that would lead to improvement.    1. quality back-up quarterback ( not darby) 2. improved defense , especially secondary.

But in reality there are several things needed... good kicking game, develope punt/kick off return( special teams), receivers improving, play calling, blitzing a little more, tackling fundamentals, play smarter, quit being dumb in secondary.
go hogs go !

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 14, 2014, 09:44:17 am
So, two things then.  I'm gonna list two things needed that would lead to improvement.    1. quality back-up quarterback ( not darby) 2. improved defense , especially secondary.

But in reality there are several things needed... good kicking game, develope punt/kick off return( special teams), receivers improving, play calling, blitzing a little more, tackling fundamentals, play smarter, quit being dumb in secondary.

Yep those are good points. You bring up kicker and we forget that Hocker is gone. I hear the new kid is good, but does he have ice water in his veins? He could lose or win us a game or two.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

popcornhog

I have no idea how much Brandon Allen has improved, but I have to think that a healthy BA with a year of experience starting under this staff will have to be better than an injury riddled BA without any experience was.
WPS

Quote from: popcornhog on April 14, 2014, 10:28:21 am
I have no idea how much Brandon Allen has improved, but I have to think that a healthy BA with a year of experience starting under this staff will have to be better than an injury riddled BA without any experience was.

I agree, but he has GOT to get some help from 2 or 3 WRs/TEs who can step up and freaking make a play during games.  We know they can do it in practice/scrimmage, but they have got to prove they can do it in a game.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

hawg IQ

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 10:08:50 am
Yep those are good points. You bring up kicker and we forget that Hocker is gone. I hear the new kid is good, but does he have ice water in his veins? He could lose or win us a game or two.
You know you never know about a kicker until they get here. Hocker lived up to his billing and then some. This kicker has better credentials, but we'll see.
    Over all special teams needs to be better...you know I think special teams is a quality indicator of better teams, team fundamentals getting done quicker allows more teaching on special teams.
go hogs go !

Mail Hog

I think the one thing is maturity. A mature team holds off Rutgers and Miss St in the 4th quarter, and finishes the drive against LSU. If the 2013 team does that, they go 6-6 and get a bowl bid. I'm optimistic the 2014 team finishes games better than last year's team.

nextlevel

Special Teams.

Kicker.

Punt Returner.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

razoredge178

Quote from: Notshavin on April 14, 2014, 11:46:58 am
I agree, but he has GOT to get some help from 2 or 3 WRs/TEs who can step up and freaking make a play during games.  We know they can do it in practice/scrimmage, but they have got to prove they can do it in a game.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Receivers can't catch passes thrown 5 yards behind them. Go back and watch game film from last year. Find ONE play where BA missed a pass in front of a receiver. I'll kiss your a$$ if you find one.

Our receivers need his help as much as he needs theirs. His 7 or 8 pick 6's last year weren't b/c of the receivers.

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 16, 2014, 12:46:40 pm
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Receivers can't catch passes thrown 5 yards behind them. Go back and watch game film from last year. Find ONE play where BA missed a pass in front of a receiver. I'll kiss your a$$ if you find one.

Our receivers need his help as much as he needs theirs. His 7 or 8 pick 6's last year weren't b/c of the receivers.

The receivers were not always running the correct routes and there seemed to be a lot of confusion on their part.  All I'm saying is no one stepped up.  There are times when a ball isn't thrown perfectly that you have to make the play.  Every team needs a WR/TE or 2 like that to be successful.

razoredge178

Quote from: Notshavin on April 16, 2014, 01:04:02 pm
The receivers were not always running the correct routes and there seemed to be a lot of confusion on their part.  All I'm saying is no one stepped up.  There are times when a ball isn't thrown perfectly that you have to make the play.  Every team needs a WR/TE or 2 like that to be successful.

I agree. But the common denominator last year was not random inconsistency with BA passes....every single miss was behind the receiver. Every one of them. Thats not a receiver running a wrong route...or running a route 'too' quickly...its a QB thing.

People hate me on here for stating the ugly truth, but this pattern of late passes is strikingly similar to that of Casey Dick.

But I agree, everyone has to step up. But its almost scientifically impossible for a receiver to reach back and catch a ball ten feet behind him. QB 101: Always miss a pass in front, at least giving that receiver a chance to 'step up.'

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 16, 2014, 01:11:56 pm
I agree. But the common denominator last year was not random inconsistency with BA passes....every single miss was behind the receiver. Every one of them. Thats not a receiver running a wrong route...or running a route 'too' quickly...its a QB thing.

People hate me on here for stating the ugly truth, but this pattern of late passes is strikingly similar to that of Casey Dick.

But I agree, everyone has to step up. But its almost scientifically impossible for a receiver to reach back and catch a ball ten feet behind him. QB 101: Always miss a pass in front, at least giving that receiver a chance to 'step up.'

That's true.  However, consistently throwing behind the receiver at least logically could be because of the injury.  They say he's healthy and corrected that.  The WRs hopefully have corrected their inconsistencies or lack of playmaking.

razoredge178

Quote from: Notshavin on April 16, 2014, 01:15:50 pm
That's true.  However, consistently throwing behind the receiver at least logically could be because of the injury.  They say he's healthy and corrected that.  The WRs hopefully have corrected their inconsistencies or lack of playmaking.

Lots of 'hopefullys' these days in Hog Country.  :)

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm going to go with schedule.  It's just as hard as last year, but we have 2 bye weeks, and really a 3rd with the UAB game sandwiched between conf games.  Last year we had a 4 game buzz saw of A&M, Florida, SC, Bama.  This year our toughest 3 game stretch is A&M, Bama, Georgia.  A&M is neutral site and Bama and Georgia are at home.  Also we get a bye in between A&M and Bama.

After Georgia game we have UAB, then MSU at Starkville, then another bye.  Finish LSU, OM, Mizzou.  We have a real chance to get some momentum going in the back half when you look at how close we played State, OM, and LSU last year.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 16, 2014, 01:19:15 pm
Lots of 'hopefullys' these days in Hog Country.  :)

Yeah, but I want to be clear that I only say that because I believe that our WRs/TEs have it in them.  I expect guys like Hunter Henry to step up and consistently be the playmaker we saw glimpses of last year.

code red

The secondary and defense will still be the big issue next year.  Its just a mess and its going to be a while before that side of the ball gets fixed.  In coming recruits need grooming and weight room.  The key to winning 5 games next year will be offense.  We must finish drives with points.  We must score at least 85% of the time in the red zone with 65% TD's.  I just don't see us stopping anyone next year.  The next key is completions.  The 56% won't get it done.  We must make them respect our ability to pass to slow the rush and get the box cleared out.  Its going to be....in my opinion...a tough tough year to find more than 4 wins.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hawgzinbowlz

Having 1 year of development in CBBs system.

" GO HOGS "

code red

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 16, 2014, 01:31:05 pm
I'm going to go with schedule.  It's just as hard as last year, but we have 2 bye weeks, and really a 3rd with the UAB game sandwiched between conf games.  Last year we had a 4 game buzz saw of A&M, Florida, SC, Bama.  This year our toughest 3 game stretch is A&M, Bama, Georgia.  A&M is neutral site and Bama and Georgia are at home.  Also we get a bye in between A&M and Bama.

After Georgia game we have UAB, then MSU at Starkville, then another bye.  Finish LSU, OM, Mizzou.  We have a real chance to get some momentum going in the back half when you look at how close we played State, OM, and LSU last year.
Now I am not saying you didn't but....look at the rosters at State, OM and LSU.  Yeah...we played em close.  But, the OM game was really not as close as it ended up.  OM is loosing little to nothing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 2nd in the SEC West.  Stock is rising with MState.  Remember they won their last 3 games last year.  Dak Prescott will add a running dimension to that offense that Wilson couldn't. They return 6 of their 7 top receivers from 13.  States defensive front scares me...they will stop the run.  They return 9 on defense.  I don't think we will measure the hogs success next year with wins and losses.  Its going to be a long ride back to prominence.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Deep Shoat

I will go first--------

I actually agree with you.  The new QB's almost everywhere coupled with our more aggressive D mindset should end up as a perfect storm to improve in TO margin.  That will be enough to see us bowl eligible.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 16, 2014, 12:46:40 pm

You are either a damn liar or don't give enough of a damn about the truth to even attempt to find it.  We didn't have 7 or 8 pick sixes.  We had 2.  You can argue that one other pick could be classified as one, since it turned immediately into points.  But even adding the not quite pick six, we have less than half of your stated bull total.

Couple that with the fact that you keep ignoring the WR's ADMITTING they ran the wrong routes (and the OC calling them out for it), and your agenda is obvious.
All Gas, No Brakes!

GolfnHog

Lots of good points in this thread and all have value to what will make the Hogs better. I contend that a continuity in the coaching staff and working from the same system will make us better. I'll optimistically say 6-7 W's this season and sit back and watch it unfold.

Last year BA was hurt; later it was established even Hunter was dinged up and his productivity diminished. Receivers running proper routes and making efforts on less than stellar passes will go a long ways to keeping drives alive. If the back 7 on D play like we hope they can play and get some turnovers, well....

Finally, we take a win at Auburn it sets a strong positive tone for the first part of the season which can be built on.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Swinesong

Reduce the number of negative plays ( turnovers, penalties and fake punts that don't work ) by at least 50% and we will go to a bowl.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

razorbackchamps94

Secondary .. Playing up on the Receiver and not 10 yards off of him.

razoredge178

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 16, 2014, 02:25:30 pm
You are either a damn liar or don't give enough of a damn about the truth to even attempt to find it.  We didn't have 7 or 8 pick sixes.  We had 2.  You can argue that one other pick could be classified as one, since it turned immediately into points.  But even adding the not quite pick six, we have less than half of your stated bull total.

Couple that with the fact that you keep ignoring the WR's ADMITTING they ran the wrong routes (and the OC calling them out for it), and your agenda is obvious.

You must keep your own stats. Over half of his interceptions were either ran back for TD's or led to 1-2 play drives for TD's. Close enough. And a WR running a wrong route doesn't change the fact that he threw into double and triple coverage for most of his interceptions. Doesn't really matter if you've got a WR in the area if the other team has 3.

Break out that #2 pencil and keep up with that Arkansaw math. Fits in pretty well with 'Deep Shoat.' Completely appropriate.

Josh Goforth