5.  Joe Serrano - .647

Team RBIs - 51
1.  Brian Anderson - 11
2.  Eric Fisher - 10
3.  Blake Baxendale - 7
4.  Tyler Spoon - 6
5.  Andrew Benintendi - 4

Team FLD% - .972 (16 errors)
1.  Michael Bernal - 6 errors (.914 FLD%)
2.  Bobby Wernes - 3 errors (.935 FLD%)
T-3.  Brian Anderson - 1 error (.986 FLD%)
T-3.  Jake Wise - 1 error (.990 FLD%)
T-3.  Blake Baxendale - 1 error (.955 FLD%)
T-3.  Clark Eagan - 1 error (.917 FLD%)

The defense has been outstanding so far this season and lead the SEC in double plays turned.  Also, our team has allowed 6 stolen bases in 13 attempts during SEC play and Wise is throwing out 50% of attempted base stealers.

Team ERA - 3.05
1.  Jalen Beeks - 1.91
2.  Chris Oliver - 2.37
3.  Trey Killian - 2.58

Stang1970

I know we have thrown out more than 7 runners.  They said such in the 2nd LSU game.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Stang1970 on April 13, 2014, 08:41:11 pm
I know we have thrown out more than 7 runners.  They said such in the 2nd LSU game.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it does say 7 runners caught stealing in SEC games.

3kgthog

jry04

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 13, 2014, 09:51:14 pm
That's a sparkling team BA.
Dear God, go away. Why do you insist on making negative, condescending posts in every thread you post in?

We get it. The athletic programs at the U of A are terrible.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Much happier with Fisher's and Benintendi's performance in conference play at the plate than earlier in the season.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 13, 2014, 11:21:09 pm
Much happier with Fisher's and Benintendi's performance in conference play at the plate than earlier in the season.

If we can get Spoon and Anderson to make even a sub-par (for them) contribution it would help tremendously.  Saturday, Anderson had FOUR consecutive chances to bat with runners in scoring position (and in some cases, there more than one base runner on) and produced zero hits/RBI's.  That's the difference in that ball game.  We just needed one timely hit and we didn't get it.

Different story Sunday.

Kevin

in the second game
after the overthrow that allowed benintendi to score, with spoon on 3 third, with one out.

anderson striking out on the next pitch was huge.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawginbigd1

We seriously need to look at our hitting coaching, since they turned the bat speeds down we have been horrible. I think it has more to do with their approach to hitting, it seems we are always hacking when we should be looking and then looking at pitches we should be taking cuts at. I have only seen about 3 games this year but each was pitiful. put 6 or 7 on the board against Florida but only had about 3 legit hits, had about 3 bouncing infield hits.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 18, 2014, 11:14:59 am
We seriously need to look at our hitting coaching, since they turned the bat speeds down we have been horrible. I think it has more to do with their approach to hitting, it seems we are always hacking when we should be looking and then looking at pitches we should be taking cuts at. I have only seen about 3 games this year but each was pitiful. put 6 or 7 on the board against Florida but only had about 3 legit hits, had about 3 bouncing infield hits.

Just curious (I only loosely follow baseball) do you think its more the hitting coach, the hitting strategy, or just that hitting is not a priority in recruiting?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogman64

Quote from: Kevin on April 14, 2014, 12:18:08 pm
in the second game
after the overthrow that allowed benintendi to score, with spoon on 3 third, with one out.

anderson striking out on the next pitch was huge.

when we need a clutch hit late in the game , Anderson is definitely not the guy I  want at the plate.........he is one of our top two hitters but he seems to  press a bit in clutch situations, over anxious and will swing at pitches outside of
the zone, seems other teams are pretty well informed on that.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2014, 02:05:41 pm
Just curious (I only loosely follow baseball) do you think its more the hitting coach, the hitting strategy, or just that hitting is not a priority in recruiting?
You should ask more questions! :)

Those are good questions and legitimate questions and are relevant to our situation.

I don't think we know for sure who the hitting coach is and it appears the strategy has changed somewhat here lately. DVH has placed a emphasis on recruiting pitchers over hitters and while that seems like a good idea, ever other team in the SEC has some very solid pitchers, just not as much depth.

Our team is built more for tournament play(because of pitching depth) but we have to have some offense and for the last two weeks or so, we have being doing better at the plate. Over the last two weeks we changed the batting order and are doing more hit and run than bunt, bunt, bunt and it's seems to be helping.

Stick around for more answers, because there are others on here that know much more than I do, for sure. There are some pretty knowledgeable guys in here.

PorkSoda

I know we've always tried to have a deep pitching staff, but I think the recruiting trade off is on defense vs offense at the other 8 positions.  do they focus on guys think are top defensive players that may be mediocre hitters (with the idea that they can teach them to hit) vs going for the best hitter they can find who may be mediocre on defense?

Is hitting more of a natural talent? or is it a numbers game where the count on a specific hitting strategy to produce base hits more often than not?

it seems like back in the day when eibner and company took us to omaha we were getting 10 runs a game pretty often.  now it seems the last couple years we have lead the league in 1-0 games.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 18, 2014, 04:17:05 pm

Our team is built more for tournament play(because of pitching depth) but we have to have some offense and for the last two weeks or so, we have being doing better at the plate. Over the last two weeks we changed the batting order and are doing more hit and run than bunt, bunt, bunt and it's seems to be helping.
thanks, that is interesting.  why do you think we hit better against LSU on sunday than we did on friday/saturday.  Just that we got deep enough into their pitching staff?

WizardofhOgZ

Bats changed right after that crew left for pro ball.  Huge difference.

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2014, 04:49:43 pm

it seems like back in the day when eibner and company took us to omaha we were getting 10 runs a game pretty often.  now it seems the last couple years we have lead the league in 1-0 games.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 18, 2014, 11:14:59 am

You DO know that we heard the same thing last year about our hitting coach, who was "so bad" that he was hired as the Head Coach at traditional power Wichita State.  Hired this guy from TCU, who has also been doing well in recent years, to replace him:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30670&SPID=2415&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=208526062&Q_SEASON=2013

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2014, 05:02:54 pm
thanks, that is interesting.  why do you think we hit better against LSU on sunday than we did on friday/saturday.  Just that we got deep enough into their pitching staff?
Can't really say that we hit poorly on Friday, considering the pitcher we were going against is one of the best in the country and had only given up 4 or 5 runs all year. We scored 2 runs on him and almost came back to win after we got into their bull pen.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2014, 05:02:54 pm
Typically teams across the country will score more on Sundays because of the drop off in quality of pitchers. Friday's are usually ace pitcher vs ace pitcher and work your way down.

TikiHog

hitting has taken off since Vitello was given a chance

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TikiHog on April 18, 2014, 11:21:14 pm
hitting has taken off since Vitello was given a chance
Do you think (or know) Vitello took over the offense in the USCe series? And changed the batting order?

LJHOG

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 13, 2014, 09:51:14 pm
That's a sparkling team BA.
and getting better.  this team seems to be playing better than at the beginning of conference.