Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Illustrated Feature on Patrick Beverly

Started by Chic-Hog-Oh, April 13, 2014, 01:10:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chic-Hog-Oh

Fantastic, detailed feature piece on Beverly in the latest edition of SI. 

Some quotes:

"Players want to be comfortable, they want to be lackadaisical, they want to make the right passes and take the right shots," Beverly says. "No. When you play me, I'm going to get right up in your grill and let you know it's going to be a long day."

The Rockets obviously don't want Beverly to start a brawl, but privately coaches believe his skirmishes have toughened and galvanized an otherwise easygoing group. "He stirs it up," one says.

Brief mentions of his time at Arkansas, including his impact on Pel's practices....

Hogwop

Always liked Beverly, wish he would have stuck around here for another year or 2. Glad to see him makin' waves in the NBA.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

rusvegashog

Hate to go all 20/20 hindsight, but I was shocked he didn't get a shot sooner. Always knew he was legit. Just glad that going the route he went that he did get his opportunity.

MB Hog

I have a positive and a negative on Beverly.  Negative first... I got to meet him after a game his freshman year.  A friend of mine was pretty close to him, so he offered to introduce me to him on the court after he came back out from the locker room.  My friend introduced me and Beverly reaches out to shake my hand, but doesn't say a word to me and looks away before our hands even meet.  Disappointing, but no big deal.  I'm sure he met all kinds of people and probably got tired of it... and just had other things on his mind.

The positive - I used to be a member at the Little Rock Athletic Club and would watch some of the pickup games at lunch time while I hit the weights.  Several former Razorbacks have played in the games through the years - Corliss, Scotty, Joe Johnson, Sunday, etc.  Naturally, they are better than the other players on the court, but they tend to go at half speed most of the time, so they don't tend to be much more impressive out there than a lot of the guys who play everyday.  But I saw Patrick Beverly out there one day in between his freshman and sophomore years and he only plays one speed.  He hustled like he would have if he'd have been playing Kentucky.  And he wasn't just jacking up 3s.  He was driving, playing defense, passing, and rebounding like crazy.  There are some pretty big, athletic guys playing in those pickup games, but Beverly must have gotten 60% of all the rebounds on both sides of the ball.  I was really impressed with his effort and desire.  It is no wonder he has been able to translate that into a major role in the NBA.  It took him awhile, but his hard work has paid off.

snoot hoggy hog

Grantland was trying to find a nickname for him but I like the one he has on his twitter page: "Mr. 94 feet"

LRrazorback

MB, I've played ball w Al Dillard, and Kareem Reid there before. My highlight was picking Kareem and taking it down and hitting a layup on him, then giving him a little trash talk. Was talking with Al and he said he was a little upset w Nolan bc he didn't give him a fair shot to play point guard. He said "son I've got my f---ing point guard, you're going to come off the bench and score."