Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Allen out to "prove" that he is the starter

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 13, 2014, 06:51:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasTraveller

It's hard to get excited about BA.  0-9 and looking like a deer in headlights stigma will  be hard to shake.  When the lights come on, it will happen again. 

seasonhog

Quote from: TheArkansasTraveller on April 13, 2014, 07:01:34 pm
It's hard to get excited about BA.  0-9 and looking like a deer in headlights stigma will  be hard to shake.  When the lights come on, it will happen again.

He better get past that...............

Hogeration

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 13, 2014, 11:36:20 am
Now, now, let's not bring actual facts into the discussion. ;) It ruins the attempts to be negative.
I choose not to respond negative about a player  but I would not poke the bear by wanting facts thrown out regarding our QB play last year.

southeasthog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 04:10:03 pm
Great Point!  I don't care how great BA is in spring or fall practices. Wake me up when the games are live.
I guess we won't see you post again until August? We will miss you "keeping it real."

I too worry about BA.  JLS and the lost assistants threw him in a bear hunt with nothing but a rotten stick back in 2012 when he was a pup.  He knew very little, hadn't learned a thing from the staff and had the OC call a dumb and dumber game for him and the team to screw up and they all managed to pull defeat from the jaws of victory.  I hope that didn't set the stage for BA for life in football.

My prayer is that we have the #2 QB ready enough to take over if calamity hits.  I really believe that's the key to our QB success, be ready and not depend on one QB be it stage fright or injury.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: southeasthog on April 13, 2014, 07:28:02 pm
I guess we won't see you post again until August? We will miss you "keeping it real."

I will post again! We had the worse QB play in the SEC last year and I'm not getting excited about a razorback preseason practice. I've. Heard great things about BA but haven't witnessed anything great from him as a QB at Arkansas.

Kevin

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 02:48:19 pm
I hope he has improved his QB awareness but I'm going to wait for the games to start. After the season last year the whole team should have something to prove.

Awesome post
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

southeasthog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 08:13:17 pm
I will post again! We had the worse QB play in the SEC last year and I'm not getting excited about a razorback preseason practice. I've. Heard great things about BA but haven't witnessed anything great from him as a QB at Arkansas.
Dude's name is in the title of the thread. If you (don't care how great BA is in spring or fall practices. Wake me up when the games are live) then I thought you would not be posting in a thread about practice. I guess I misunderstood your post.

gchamblee

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 08:13:17 pm

you should pay attention and stop watching games in 5 minute clips on youtube. not only would you seem more informed, you might be less cynical. also a word of advice, if preseason practices dont interest you, maybe quit participating in the preseason practice threads? well we can work on that one later, thats a higher difficulty task than learning to watch actual full length games.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 13, 2014, 04:17:32 pm
BA wasn't very good last year at all but having some WRs that will get open and actually catch a football will help.
I agree completely, and while most fans will put everything good or bad at the QB's feet, there are lots and lots of variables at play.

I think about the Auburn game. On the first drive, BA threw a perfect ball that hit Herndon in stride in the endzone...and he dropped it (an all too common occurrence in 2013). The drive ended with Derby cordially inviting the not so vaunted Tigers defense to take the ball from him.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: gchamblee on April 13, 2014, 08:26:26 pm
you should pay attention and stop watching games in 5 minute clips on youtube. not only would you seem more informed, you might be less cynical. also a word of advice, if preseason practices dont interest you, maybe quit participating in the preseason practice threads? well we can work on that one later, thats a higher difficulty task than learning to watch actual full length games.

I watched every game last year with the exception of Samford. I saw a QB that struggled to make plays in the passing game and a offensive that was one dimensional. There was games that teams stacked the line of scrimmage and we still did not make plays. Maybe you should come out of La La Land and watch Miss State, Miss and LSU games at the end of the season. We had no or very poor QB play in most games. The team overall struggled but the QB position is in critical condition.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 08:44:14 pm
I watched every game last year with the exception of Samford. I saw a QB that struggled to make plays in the passing game and a offensive that was one dimensional. There was games that teams stacked the line of scrimmage and we still did not make plays. Maybe you should come out of La La Land and watch Miss State, Miss and LSU games at the end of the season. We had no or very poor QB play in most games. The team overall struggled but the QB position is in critical condition.
Helps to have decent wr's to pass the ball to and please don't say we had those.  It'll just display your ignorance.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on April 13, 2014, 08:47:00 pm
Helps to have decent wr's to pass the ball to and please don't say we had those.  It'll just display your ignorance.

Wideout receiver and QB play need to improve. I'm not going to debate that fact. Keon, Hunter and Sprinkle are good receivers in the SEC. We have enough to be productive on the outside.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 08:57:36 pm
Wideout receiver and QB play need to improve. I'm not going to debate that fact. Keon, Hunter and Sprinkle are good receivers in the SEC. We have enough to be productive on the outside.
And I'm hoping Jojo or Edwards can find playing time as well.

southeasthog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 08:57:36 pm
One of the few things you have posted that I agree with. But if you don't think BA's shoulder had some part in his play then you have an agenda. Here is his stats from the last game of the season.

Brandon Allen     19-29-1    178    2

This is against that vaunted LSU defense. In Death Valley. It is hardly as horrible as you make out.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: southeasthog on April 13, 2014, 09:05:21 pm
One of the few things you have posted that I agree with. But if you don't think BA's shoulder had some part in his play then you have an agenda. Here is his stats from the last game of the season.

This is against that vaunted LSU defense. In Death Valley. It is hardly as horrible as you make out.

No agenda for me but it's reality for a lot of hog fans that QB play is the worse in the league. The game plan for the razorbacks was to stop the run and eventually the QB will make a mistake.

Nipsey Mussle

I agree with you but I will point out that LSU's defense wasn't anything to write home about this past season.

Still, a nice performance which hopefully is a preview of what we get this season. I'm glad you mentioned that game, bc I think most, including myself, forget about the good things he did and focus on the last play when we were all screaming at the tv for him to get rid of the ball.

PygmalionEffect

Brandon Allen when 100% healthy, has the skills and tools to be a formidable SEC QB.

But does he have what it takes mentally to rise to the occasion in pressure situations and actually play better when the pressure's intense and the game is on the line?

That is the intangible magic that separates winners from losers.

Let's just keep debating this question amongst ourselves.  When you think you have an answer, be sure and let BA know, because at this point he doesn't know the answer either, and neither does CBB.

But we'll all know the answer by October or November.

I love college football.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

rude1

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on April 13, 2014, 08:47:00 pm
Having good receivers makes no difference if the QB doesn't go through his progressions and or locks onto his intended receiver and stares him down. Unless this is corrected first, I don't care who the pass catchers are, they aren't going to get open with BA staring them down at the snap of the ball.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: rude1 on April 13, 2014, 10:23:43 pm
Having good receivers makes no difference if the QB doesn't go through his progressions and or locks onto his intended receiver and stares him down. Unless this is corrected first, I don't care who the pass catchers are, they aren't going to get open with BA staring them down at the snap of the ball.
You invalidated the remainder of your post (which was a pretty good post) with "it makes no difference." So there's no difference in locking on Jerry Rice and locking on Herndon? We had many, many drops and few open WR's, and confidence matters a lot, a lot, a lot, in sports. It's like the great 3 pt shooter who starts 0-6 from 3, gets a dunk, and then makes his next 5 from downtown. A QB needs to see the passes caught, and I can't tell you how many he put between the numbers that got dropped. Like I said, we start the Auburn game 7-0 if Herndon could've caught the perfectly thrown ball that was placed precisely in his hands.

The only thing I can say for sure is that BA wasn't good enough to play through shoulder pain and poor WR play. I'm thinking both of those areas have gotten better so we may find out how he does with both in good shape.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 13, 2014, 09:17:32 pm
I agree with you but I will point out that LSU's defense wasn't anything to write home about this past season.

Still, a nice performance which hopefully is a preview of what we get this season. I'm glad you mentioned that game, bc I think most, including myself, forget about the good things he did and focus on the last play when we were all screaming at the tv for him to get rid of the ball.

If that is true, I would love for Arkansas to be the defensive team this year that no one wants to write home about. LSU had the #15 total defense last year and was #13 in passing yards allowed. I mean, I'd love for us to have those kinds of numbers.
Go Hogs Go!

Kevin

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 13, 2014, 10:12:45 pm
Brandon Allen when 100% healthy, has the skills and tools to be a formidable SEC QB.

But does he have what it takes mentally to rise to the occasion in pressure situations and actually play better when the pressure's intense and the game is on the line?

That is the intangible magic that separates winners from losers.

Let's just keep debating this question amongst ourselves.  When you think you have an answer, be sure and let BA know, because at this point he doesn't know the answer either, and neither does CBB.

But we'll all know the answer by October or November.

I love college football.

+1
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Chief Mac

Quote from: rude1 on April 13, 2014, 10:23:43 pm

Wilson locked onto receivers as well.  He looked 100% better in 2011 when he had a great group of receivers as opposed to just having one in 2012
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 12:04:51 pm
Anybody reading the article, reading Hogville, or watching games last year would know what happened to his arm strength. Either Wants2win lives in a cave or has been constipated for 6 months!  ;D

You forgot the most obvious possibilities.  My guess is he is an ignorant, envious, poster with an agenda.  Additionally, I'm guessing he is one of those posters who never had any success in any sport yet they are frequently critical of those who are.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 13, 2014, 09:17:32 pm

LSU was 3rd in total defense in 2013 behind Alabama and Florida.  Please point out what you consider good enough to "write home about".

razoredge178

He's been great in every Spring practice.

How many of us are good on the driving range but can't take it to the golf course?

How  many of us can dribble a basketball...until a person is standing in our face?

BA is brutal. He's small, slow, and makes awful decisions. Unfortunately spring practice doesn't exploit decision making because everything is SCRIPTED.

I know this point has been made over and over again, but if you  know this coming season is going to dump, why wouldn't you start working towards your future, instead of holding on to a QB that, 1) Sucks, and, 2) you didn't recruit?

Put the 5 star freshman in, we'll suck it up again one more year, and then we'll start making those strides.

If BB commits to BA, look for some of our other guys to look to leave.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 14, 2014, 07:33:02 am

How many of us are good on the driving range but can't take it to the golf course?

How  many of us can dribble a basketball...until a person is standing in our face?

BA is brutal. He's small, slow, and makes awful decisions. Unfortunately spring practice doesn't exploit decision making because everything is SCRIPTED.

I know this point has been made over and over again, but if you  know this coming season is going to dump, why wouldn't you start working towards your future, instead of holding on to a QB that, 1) Sucks, and, 2) you didn't recruit?

Put the 5 star freshman in, we'll suck it up again one more year, and then we'll start making those strides.

You are an idiot. I know I am not suppose to be calling other posters names, but when hate like you spew it is hard to keep quiet.

Let's breakdown your hate speech:

1. He is small. Official height 6'3". As most know these are usually inflated an inch or two, so he is 6'1". Far from being small.

2. He is slow. His average 40 is 4.75. While that is not burner fast he did prove he could gain 10 yards with his feet.

3. Makes awful decisions. This one is just silly. Any football junky can tell you this is not uncommon for a 1st year starter. Too many examples on Google to show how stupid your comment was.

But as you said we have discussed this 1001 times, yet you still post your hate toward a player. Why the heck any player would want to play for Arkansas with hateful fans such as yourself is beyond me. You reflect an attitude that at Arkansas the fans will not tolerate a learning curve or look at the outside issues for a poor performance. They will get on the Internet and hound you like a dog.

Simply unbelievable.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

razoredge178

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 08:04:24 am
You are an idiot. I know I am not suppose to be calling other posters names, but when hate like you spew it is hard to keep quiet.

Let's breakdown your hate speech:

1. He is small. Official height 6'3". As most know these are usually inflated an inch or two, so he is 6'1". Far from being small.

2. He is slow. His average 40 is 4.75. While that is not burner fast he did prove he could gain 10 yards with his feet.

3. Makes awful decisions. This one is just silly. Any football junky can tell you this is not uncommon for a 1st year starter. Too many examples on Google to show how stupid your comment was.

But as you said we have discussed this 1001 times, yet you still post your hate toward a player. Why the heck any player would want to play for Arkansas with hateful fans such as yourself is beyond me. You reflect an attitude that at Arkansas the fans will not tolerate a learning curve or look at the outside issues for a poor performance. They will get on the Internet and hound you like a dog.

Simply unbelievable.

So, in fairness, you should break down all my 'hate speech.' 

1) He certainly is NOT 6' 3'', or anywhere close to it. All you have to do is MEET him, like  at a Walmart Supercenter, which was my first encounter, to realize how true it is when it is said that players sizes are inflated. If he's 6' I'll slap my mom.

2) I'll concede on his speed, merely because I don't know how fast he runs the 40 with no pads on. Nor do I care. I know how fast he runs between THE GOAL LINES DURING A FOOTBALL GAME.

3) And being a freshman has nothing to do with throwing the ball into triple coverage; thats a part of the game you learn in high school. What record did he hold last year in the SEC?? The most pick-6's. Now that's a record to have!

4) So you skipped over the implications of committing to a guy like BA versus the freshman that should be your future. Is it b/c you have no comment on that or is b/c it makes so much d&!$ common sense that you can't handle it?

Like I've said, and like no one can yet refute, BA=Casey Dick, round #2.

GuvHog

LSU's defense wasn't that "Vaunted" last year and anyone who knows LSU football can tell you that. For the first time in many years, the LSU offense had to carry their defense. Their defense however, should be much better this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 14, 2014, 08:17:51 am
So, in fairness, you should break down all my 'hate speech.' 

1) He certainly is NOT 6' 3'', or anywhere close to it. All you have to do is MEET him, like  at a Walmart Supercenter, which was my first encounter, to realize how true it is when it is said that players sizes are inflated. If he's 6' I'll slap my mom.

2) I'll concede on his speed, merely because I don't know how fast he runs the 40 with no pads on. Nor do I care. I know how fast he runs between THE GOAL LINES DURING A FOOTBALL GAME.

3) And being a freshman has nothing to do with throwing the ball into triple coverage; thats a part of the game you learn in high school. What record did he hold last year in the SEC?? The most pick-6's. Now that's a record to have!

4) So you skipped over the implications of committing to a guy like BA versus the freshman that should be your future. Is it b/c you have no comment on that or is b/c it makes so much d&!$ common sense that you can't handle it?

Like I've said, and like no one can yet refute, BA=Casey Dick, round #2.

Ok let me address these again.

1. I don't know you nor was I at Walmart when you met him. All I can say is on average the physical stats are usually inflated by an inch or two. That makes him 6'1". I am sorry if prefer to place my belief in stats and not some anonymous Walmart shopper. Don't slap your mom too hard.  ;D

2. Thanks

3. Now you are being silly again. So you are saying 1st year starters don't have this problem and if they do it cannot be taught out of them? Is that the position you want to take in this discussion? Seriously?

4. I did skip over it as it was too dumb to address, but since you insist. Everyone who has been at the scrimmages and practices are reporting Rafe needs more work. Nothing wrong with that as he is a freshman.

You saw last year an injured 1st year starter with no WR support play not so good. You want to throw this 4 star QB in the trash heap. Yet you want to ignore Rafe's less than stellar practice results and bring in this 4 star freshman? You want to blow off this year so he can learn?

You want to contradict what the coaching staff are saying? You want to get on Hogville and state you know more about football than our coaching staff? Staff that are considered some of the best in college football - you want to argue with them?

Are you now seeing why I am saying your talk is idiotic and uninformed?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

LZH

Driving ranges?  Walmart shoppers?  You boys be trippin'.

You should have just asked me, I'm always right.

razoredge178

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 08:36:47 am
Ok let me address these again.

1. I don't know you nor was I at Walmart when you met him. All I can say is on average the physical stats are usually inflated by an inch or two. That makes him 6'1". I am sorry if prefer to place my belief in stats and not some anonymous Walmart shopper. Don't slap your mom too hard.  ;D

2. Thanks

3. Now you are being silly again. So you are saying 1st year starters don't have this problem and if they do it cannot be taught out of them? Is that the position you want to take in this discussion? Seriously?

4. I did skip over it as it was too dumb to address, but since you insist. Everyone who has been at the scrimmages and practices are reporting Rafe needs more work. Nothing wrong with that as he is a freshman.

You saw last year an injured 1st year starter with no WR support play not so good. You want to throw this 4 star QB in the trash heap. Yet you want to ignore Rafe's less than stellar practice results and bring in this 4 star freshman? You want to blow off this year so he can learn?

You want to contradict what the coaching staff are saying? You want to get on Hogville and state you know more about football than our coaching staff? Staff that are considered some of the best in college football - you want to argue with them?

Are you now seeing why I am saying your talk is idiotic and uninformed?  ;D

That last one is great....'Staff that are considered some of the best in college football'.....by whom? Hey, I like our coaching staff no doubt. But some of the best? By all accounts BB is bringing in the toilet bowl at the near bottom of SEC coaches rankings.

Which I could care less. Again, b/c I like our staff, and also because I don't care about the 'talk' out of practice that you hang next season on.

Brandon Allen is having his record 3rd 'GREAT, IMPRESSIVE, STRONG, FANTASTIC, MATURE' spring practice. It does not and will not equate over to the real deal SEC football field. Take it to the bank. He threw for 13 TDS and 10 INT last year and 1 TD and 3 INT behind Tyler.

Will he improve on that? I would certainly hope so. Casey Dick:

2005: 7 TD  4 INT
2006: 9      6
2007: 18    10
2008: 13    14

Brandon Allen is on the same collegiate career course as Casey Dick...and if so, may have a decent third season. Of course he won't have the artillery that Casey Dick had to throw to. So I doubt it.

But look at '08. Hmmmm. Bad is in fact bad and it always rears its ugly head. You can hide it for awhile, or avoid it, but its always there.

My question is, can BB survive it?

Do you disagree that the fan base will be more, less, or equally patient with BB, whether he go with BA, or one of his new kids?

Kevin

Trying to out run a Lsu cornerback is not a smart decision
Never steps up in pocket
Always runs to his right out of the pocket

This is where I am looking for improvement. Will not know that until he takes the green jersey off.

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 04:07:42 pm
An honest question to all of you "I will believe BA when I see it on the field." That is a legitimate position to take and after last season I fully understand the wait and see concept.

What I don't understand is that every BA thread that comes up you always reply with the same "I will believe BA when I see it on the field." which clutters up the thread. I think I can speak for many of us - WE FREAKING GET IT! No need to say it again.

Are you jealous that the rest of us like to discuss the "what ifs" about BA? As for the life of me I don't understand the urge to post it each and every time. I am sincerely trying to understand why someone would want to continue to be a parrot.

Now if you think I am dense and you need to repeat it - well my wife will tell you that doesn't work either.  :D

I will believe it when I see.... him not staring down receivers.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 14, 2014, 08:49:14 am
That last one is great....'Staff that are considered some of the best in college football'.....by whom? Hey, I like our coaching staff no doubt. But some of the best? By all accounts BB is bringing in the toilet bowl at the near bottom of SEC coaches rankings.

Which I could care less. Again, b/c I like our staff, and also because I don't care about the 'talk' out of practice that you hang next season on.

Brandon Allen is having his record 3rd 'GREAT, IMPRESSIVE, STRONG, FANTASTIC, MATURE' spring practice. It does not and will not equate over to the real deal SEC football field. Take it to the bank. He threw for 13 TDS and 10 INT last year and 1 TD and 3 INT behind Tyler.

Will he improve on that? I would certainly hope so. Casey Dick:

2005: 7 TD  4 INT
2006: 9      6
2007: 18    10
2008: 13    14

Brandon Allen is on the same collegiate career course as Casey Dick...and if so, may have a decent third season. Of course he won't have the artillery that Casey Dick had to throw to. So I doubt it.

But look at '08. Hmmmm. Bad is in fact bad and it always rears its ugly head. You can hide it for awhile, or avoid it, but its always there.

Do you disagree that the fan base will be more, less, or equally patient with BB, whether he go with BA, or one of his new kids?

You tend to be very short sighted. CBB has more than last year under his coaching belt.

You know Lanny and some of the mods say we have to "play nice together", but I ask how? You make up this straw man that the pro-CBB group is stating the practices will automatically equate to success during the game. Show me where I had said that? Show me where anyone said that?

I will ask you one question - so you are saying if good practice results don't equate to game results then we should ignore bad practice results? You cannot have it both ways.

There has been numerous stats pre-injury and late season showing BA was doing pretty good for a 1st year started. I also love that you guys like to state this is his 3rd year - like he had any meaningful game time while Tyler was here.

Speaking of Tyler - there were many of you experts stating he was any good. Why? Because early in his career he couldn't take a snap from center and he too could read through his progressions. I think Tyler ending his career here as a pretty good SEC QB.

But BA doesn't get the chance? Ever agenda much?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on April 14, 2014, 09:02:27 am
Trying to out run a Lsu cornerback is not a smart decision
Never steps up in pocket
Always runs to his right out of the pocket

This is where I am looking for improvement. Will not know that until he takes the green jersey off.

Agree with you completely. My argument has always been let him show it on the field and not throw him away I. Spring as some advocate. Practice results are encouragement, but performing well on the road against Auburn is better results. He played injured last year and I think he deserves at least one game to prove otherwise.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 14, 2014, 08:49:14 am

Well let's see on Hogville, which has no hiring / firing authority, the majority of Hogvillians are stating give CBB 3 years. Some are saying more. So yes CBB can survive another bad year  - BA.

For the people on the hill who have the authority to hire / fire - I have not heard one peep from them indicating CBB was on a short leash.

Don't get so carried away that a handful of you speak crap on hear and think you have the power to get CBB fired. A quick vote on Hogville would prove you cannot even get the majority vote here, much less statewide.

WilsonHog

If you commit to Austin or Rafe before they are ready and they bomb, I can't imagine that would be good for their confidence.

I want to see what those two can do as well...but not one snap before they are ready.

razoredge178

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 09:30:54 am
Well let's see on Hogville, which has no hiring / firing authority, the majority of Hogvillians are stating give CBB 3 years. Some are saying more. So yes CBB can survive another bad year  - BA.

For the people on the hill who have the authority to hire / fire - I have not heard one peep from them indicating CBB was on a short leash.

Don't get so carried away that a handful of you speak crap on hear and think you have the power to get CBB fired. A quick vote on Hogville would prove you cannot even get the majority vote here, much less statewide.

Awww yes...another acorn off the Arkansas tree.

I'm not asking if he survives this coming season with BA at QB...because a commitment to BA this year is inevitably a commitment to him for the next TWO seasons. Or shall you share where it is common practice for college programs to bench a 3 year season starting senior QB for option 2?

And THAT is the point that most skeptics are making....this Spring QB battle isn't just about next season. If BB goes with BA, its about the next two seasons. If he goes with his freshman, its potentially about the next 4 seasons.

MY QUESTION IS, which way does he get the longer leash? And what ramifications does choosing BA over the others have on the others? Do they leave? Transfer?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 14, 2014, 05:57:30 am
If that is true, I would love for Arkansas to be the defensive team this year that no one wants to write home about. LSU had the #15 total defense last year and was #13 in passing yards allowed. I mean, I'd love for us to have those kinds of numbers.

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on April 14, 2014, 07:21:26 am
LSU was 3rd in total defense in 2013 behind Alabama and Florida.  Please point out what you consider good enough to "write home about".

Lsu gave up 22 points a game last year. That's nowhere near their typical defensive output. Do I expect either of you to understand that? Not so much.

Giving up 22 points a game is better than the Hogs, for sure. Is there a gap between "something to write home about" and the Hogs defense? Oh yes, a wide one. I wouldn't call giving up 22 points a game, "vaunted." But to each their own, I suppose. 

Mike Irwin

While multiple threads on Brandon Allen continue to dominate this forum the biggest issue so far this spring is the offensive line. Sam Pittman made it very clear last week that the sacks that have been given up so far (21 in two scrimmages) are mostly on the offensive line. Replacing Travis Swanson is not going to be easy. Also Dan Skipper is finding out in a hurry that playing offensive guard is a lot easier than life out on the edge of the offense. Meanwhile Pittman been shuttling people around at backup center and at one of the guard spots.

Something else that is ignored in this endless trashing of Brandon Allen is the fact that the running game has been absolutely stuffed this spring. There have been close to 40 lost yardage plays by the various running backs so far.

Some of that is Robb Smith's more aggressive style of defense along with Bielema's decision to throw the house at Brandon Allen this spring.  Whatever the reason sitting back with your arms folded and demanding that Allen "show you" something may sound cool on a message board but the adjustments that Pittman's guys are having to make is at the very core of whether or not the offense will improve or maybe (gasp) go backwards.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2014, 09:46:30 am
While multiple threads on Brandon Allen continue to dominate this forum the biggest issue so far this spring is the offensive line. Sam Pittman made it very clear last week that the sacks that have been given up so far (21 in two scrimmages) are mostly on the offensive line. Replacing Travis Swanson is not going to be easy. Also Dan Skipper is finding out in a hurry that playing offensive guard is a lot easier than life out on the edge of the offense. Meanwhile Pittman been shuttling people around at backup center and at one of the guard spots.

Something else that is ignored in this endless trashing of Brandon Allen is the fact that the running game has been absolutely stuffed this spring. There have been close to 40 lost yardage plays by the various running backs so far.

Some of that is Robb Smith's more aggressive style of defense along with Bielema's decision to throw the house at Brandon Allen this spring.  Whatever the reason sitting back with your arms folded and demanding that Allen "show you" something may sound cool on a message board but the adjustments that Pittman's guys are having to make is at the very core of whether or not the offense will improve or maybe (gasp) go backwards.
Since you've watched practice, would you agree that the sacks were mostly on the O-line? Pittman would say that regardless, as well he should.

Seems like from the scrimmage the only one who struggled running the ball was Jonathan Williams.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 14, 2014, 09:38:12 am

I'm not asking if he survives this coming season with BA at QB...because a commitment to BA this year is inevitably a commitment to him for the next TWO seasons. Or shall you share where it is common practice for college programs to bench a 3 year season starting senior QB for option 2?

And THAT is the point that most skeptics are making....this Spring QB battle isn't just about next season. If BB goes with BA, its about the next two seasons. If he goes with his freshman, its potentially about the next 4 seasons.

MY QUESTION IS, which way does he get the longer leash? And what ramifications does choosing BA over the others have on the others? Do they leave? Transfer?

Boy you have a very hard time looking at variables and understanding how they effect the outcome. The reason you don't see a lower level QB beat out a senior QB is due to the variable called game experience.

Could I see a scenario where BA, now a senior, is the starter with one of the more junior QBs pushing hard for playing time? Yes. Could I see BA, now a senior, go down in a game and one of the more junior QBs come in and play lights out? Yes. Played so well the coached give him the starting job? Yes

But it doesn't happen all of the time because game experience is such an important component in the QB equation. No competitive coach is going to keep a senior QB in the starting lineup if a more junior QB is out performing. That is a recipe for getting fired.

Last year BA played hurt because Derby didn't perform well. The same guy who was battling AA / Rafe for QB time. You know Rafe the guy you are advocating taking over the starting position. The guy who could not out play the one QB who you think was worse than BA.

Just having a hard time understanding how you think your way of coaching would get us successful?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 14, 2014, 09:55:40 am
Since you've watched practice, would you agree that the sacks were mostly on the O-line? Pittman would say that regardless, as well he should.

Seems like from the scrimmage the only one who struggled running the ball was Jonathan Williams.
The leading rusher (Collins) had less than 50 yards and some of that was against the twos.

Yes, the offensive line is struggling. Big time.

hawgsalot

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 14, 2014, 09:38:12 am

Oh so your one of those conspiracy guys that actually believe a head coach will commit to a player to lead the offense when another guy is actually better.  LOL surely to goodness you've got more than that.  CBB didn't recruit Brandon but did recruit Austin and Rafe.  So remind me again why he would be so committed to BA?    Mike nailed it above but I'm not worried about the OL, the guys have played and had success in the SEC even if it was at another position.  Pitt is a great coach and has recruited better than we have ever seen on the OL, so I don't think come fall they will be anything but the strength of this team.

razoredge178

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 09:55:53 am
Boy you have a very hard time looking at variables and understanding how they effect the outcome. The reason you don't see a lower level QB beat out a senior QB is due to the variable called game experience.

Could I see a scenario where BA, now a senior, is the starter with one of the more junior QBs pushing hard for playing time? Yes. Could I see BA, now a senior, go down in a game and one of the more junior QBs come in and play lights out? Yes. Played so well the coached give him the starting job? Yes

But it doesn't happen all of the time because game experience is such an important component in the QB equation. No competitive coach is going to keep a senior QB in the starting lineup if a more junior QB is out performing. That is a recipe for getting fired.

Last year BA played hurt because Derby didn't perform well. The same guy who was battling AA / Rafe for QB time. You know Rafe the guy you are advocating taking over the starting position. The guy who could not out play the one QB who you think was worse than BA.

Just having a hard time understanding how you think your way of coaching would get us successful?

I like BB a lot and I firmly believe his success at Arkansas rides on the QB play over the next couple of years, especially if his apparent commitment to BA yields yet another Casey Dick. He absolutely WILL NOT get another 2-3 years beyond that to develop his next QB. So do you do it now? Or later? I think he has less chance of still be our HC if he goes with with the latter.

Its funny that folks call it bashing BA....he is in fact statistically terrible. Its not bashing if its the truth. And you can't blame his shoulder for making bad in-game decisions between the ears.

Cotton

Also keep in mind, defense is always ahead of offense. Especially in spring ball. No offense ever looks stellar in spring ball for multiple reasons.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 14, 2014, 10:14:16 am
Its not bashing if its the truth.

A friend once told me never put anything in writing if you are not willing to wear it on a tshirt. Well here are your very own words: (I have bolded the ones you consider the truth and not bashing)

BA is brutal. He's small, slow,

I would ask you would you tell BA, to his face, that he is brutal and sucks? Using those exact words you put in writing? Be honest with yourself those are bashing words not truth.

Mike Irwin

Have to been to the scrimmages? If you have and if you have watched this sort of thing in the past you know that there has been nothing scripted for Brandon Allen this spring.

The opposite is true. They've been trying to make him fail by using the defense to confuse him.

Who is this 5 star freshman you refer to? There's not one on campus. Not even close.

I will agree with you on one thing. Brandon Allen is not a great college quarterback. The reason nobody is going to beat him out is because they are not good enough.

Matt Jones, as a true freshman, would have that job locked down. So would Ryan Mallett.

Rafe Peavey is not those guys.

As for your comment that somebody is going to leave, that's entirely possible. If I had a guess it would go like this:

If Peavey jumps past Austin Allen then Allen might leave. If a teammate with one less year in the system jumps you the handwriting is on the wall.

If Peavey doesn't jump Allen this spring I certainly don't see him leaving. I've met him. He's way too pumped up right now to leave after one semester.

If Ty Storey comes in a year from now and moves ahead of  AA and Peavey they both might leave.

None of those possibilities is a good reason to dump Brandon Allen. He's the best QB currently on campus. That may not be saying a lot but again don't confuse what you want with what you've got.

Cotton

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2014, 10:27:50 am
None of those possibilities is a good reason to dump Brandon Allen. He's the best QB currently on campus. That may not be saying a lot but again don't confuse what you want with what you've got.
THIS ^^^

Get behind the kid, like him or not, he is the future for now.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX