Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Allen out to "prove" that he is the starter

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 13, 2014, 06:51:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Nice article that was written this past week by Chris Low on BA's quest to prove that he deserves to be the #1 QB for the Hogs.

"He looks different physically. He plays different. He has got so much composure," Bielema said. "What I love there -- not that I wanted to see it -- but when we had a couple of guys jump offsides he really let the huddle have an awareness of what we needed to do and what was expected. You like to have your quarterback step up in that fashion." -Bret Bielema

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/81743/allen-ready-to-prove-hes-the-starter-again
Go Hogs Go!

Dark Helmet Hog

It does sound like BA has something to prove. I hope he is successful beyond belief.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on April 13, 2014, 07:16:23 am
It does sound like BA has something to prove. I hope he is successful beyond belief.

I hope he has a great season as well. I think it would help us a great deal if he can throw for about 200-225 yards per game this year.
Go Hogs Go!

Wants2Win

Ahh the intangibles. What about arm strength?

Cotton

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on April 13, 2014, 07:16:23 am
Well he does have something to prove, a lot to prove actually after last season. 

That being said, sounds like he has the focus and determination to prove himself. I'm getting behind the kid, and hope the rest of the skeptics do as well. Lord knows we need him and he's the best we've got.

WPS
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 13, 2014, 09:50:21 am

Ahhh, reading the article so you are informed, is your friend.
Go Hogs Go!

razorbackfanatic

Go back and watch the La-Lafayette game last season before the shoulder injury. On one play action pass the ball traveled right at 55 yards in the air from his hand to where it would have landed if not caught. Watch any NFL QB and you rarely ever see the ball travel any further than that, there's just not enough time usually in a game. If he can throw it 55 in full pads during a game then he's got plenty of arm strength. His shoulder injury was a big factor last season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on April 13, 2014, 11:33:08 am
Go back and watch the La-Lafayette game last season before the shoulder injury. On one play action pass the ball traveled right at 55 yards in the air from his hand to where it would have landed if not caught. Watch any NFL QB and you rarely ever see the ball travel any further than that, there's just not enough time usually in a game. If he can throw it 55 in full pads during a game then he's got plenty of arm strength. His shoulder injury was a big factor last season.

Now, now, let's not bring actual facts into the discussion. ;) It ruins the attempts to be negative.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on April 13, 2014, 11:33:08 am

I wasn't aware that anyone had questioned his arm when he's healthy.  He can make all the throws he'll ever need to.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 13, 2014, 09:50:21 am

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 13, 2014, 11:42:09 am
I wasn't aware that anyone had questioned his arm when he's healthy.  He can make all the throws he'll ever need to.

Just read above. Pretty predictable.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 13, 2014, 11:43:51 am
Just read above. Pretty predictable.

Well, I meant anyone who didn't have some sort of an ax to grind.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Cotton on April 13, 2014, 09:56:04 am
Well he does have something to prove, a lot to prove actually after last season. 

That being said, sounds like he has the focus and determination to prove himself. I'm getting behind the kid, and hope the rest of the skeptics do as well. Lord knows we need him and he's the best we've got.

WPS

Amen!
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 13, 2014, 11:25:40 am
Ahhh, reading the article so you are informed, is your friend.

Anybody reading the article, reading Hogville, or watching games last year would know what happened to his arm strength. Either Wants2win lives in a cave or has been constipated for 6 months!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 12:04:51 pm
Anybody reading the article, reading Hogville, or watching games last year would know what happened to his arm strength. Either Wants2win lives in a cave or has been constipated for 6 months!  ;D

Maybe the latter of the two choices is more probable, though he may actually live in a cave as well. Just kidding.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

My take on BA is simple.

Don't show me his numbers after Southern Miss and try to make a case against him.

Why? Because the only thing we know for sure is that he was injured in that game. We have no idea when he was truly 100% again that season, if he ever was.

LRHog234

I heard form someone who had the same injury except one degree worse at around the same time in the season, and he's still not 100%. I've heard estimates BA was at 65% at best after the injury

Letsroll1200

I hope he has improved his QB awareness but I'm going to wait for the games to start. After the season last year the whole team should have something to prove.

HVHog

If he has something to prove, then prove it in game # 1.  There is no excuse for them to not come out not prepared to play well as a whole team.  They have all summer to get ready.  I'll believe the BA BS when I see it on the field.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HVHog on April 13, 2014, 03:11:39 pm
If he has something to prove, then prove it in game # 1.  There is no excuse for them to not come out not prepared to play well as a whole team.  They have all summer to get ready.  I'll believe the BA BS when I see it on the field.

That's good to know and I should be able to sleep better tonight knowing you are on the BS watch.    ;)

gchamblee

no you wont. be honest lol. you do know auburn has all summer to prepare for us too right?

Danny J

I pretty much agree. I will believe it when I see it and no...that does not include throwing against our bad defense and not being able to be sacked.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 13, 2014, 03:56:26 pm
I pretty much agree. I will believe it when I see it and no...that does not include throwing against our bad defense and not being able to be sacked.

Wow! I didn't know that was your opinion about BA. Why haven't you spoken up before?  ;)

ChitownHawg

An honest question to all of you "I will believe BA when I see it on the field." That is a legitimate position to take and after last season I fully understand the wait and see concept.

What I don't understand is that every BA thread that comes up you always reply with the same "I will believe BA when I see it on the field." which clutters up the thread. I think I can speak for many of us - WE FREAKING GET IT! No need to say it again.

Are you jealous that the rest of us like to discuss the "what ifs" about BA? As for the life of me I don't understand the urge to post it each and every time. I am sincerely trying to understand why someone would want to continue to be a parrot.

Now if you think I am dense and you need to repeat it - well my wife will tell you that doesn't work either.  :D

Danny J

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 04:01:58 pm
Wow! I didn't know that was your opinion about BA. Why haven't you spoken up before?  ;)
Yeah...I am usually pretty modest and reserved but keep in mind that over the last 5 years we have heard things during spring and fall camp like "our defense is going to be much better this year..our Dbacks our actually turning their heads and playing more aggressive", etc....So I am now simply taking the "I will believe it when I see it" approach. I guess that keeps me from getting my hopes up too high only to be let down. I am expecting 5 wins this year and if we do better then I will be happy with the progress especially with the brutal schedule we are playing.

Letsroll1200

Great Point!  I don't care how great BA is in spring or fall practices. Wake me up when the games are live.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 13, 2014, 04:08:51 pm
Yeah...I am usually pretty modest and reserved but keep in mind that over the last 5 years we have heard things during spring and fall camp like "our defense is going to be much better this year..our Dbacks our actually turning their heads and playing more aggressive", etc....So I am now simply taking the "I will believe it when I see it" approach. I guess that keeps me from getting my hopes up too high only to be let down. I am expecting 5 wins this year and if we do better then I will be happy with the progress especially with the brutal schedule we are playing.

Understandable

Nipsey Mussle

A better OL and much, much improved set of WR's will help him prove it.

Danny J

Letsroll1200

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 04:07:42 pm
An honest question to all of you "I will believe BA when I see it on the field." That is a legitimate position to take and after last season I fully understand the wait and see concept.

What I don't understand is that every BA thread that comes up you always reply with the same "I will believe BA when I see it on the field." which clutters up the thread. I think I can speak for many of us - WE FREAKING GET IT! No need to say it again.

Are you jealous that the rest of us like to discuss the "what ifs" about BA? As for the life of me I don't understand the urge to post it each and every time. I am sincerely trying to understand why someone would want to continue to be a parrot.

Now if you think I am dense and you need to repeat it - well my wife will tell you that doesn't work either.  :D

Some fans are realistic about BA and others have expectations that may not be realistic for BA. I personally have not seen anything on the field that excites about BA as a QB. I'm with the wait and see camp to avoid being too negative towards the player.

Danny J

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 13, 2014, 04:12:35 pm
A better OL and much, much improved set of WR's will help him prove it.
Our O line should really be the strength of this team....that and the running game plus Hunter Henry.

Hollywood_HOGan45

BA wasn't very good last year at all but having some WRs that will get open and actually catch a football will help.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 04:14:58 pm
Some fans are realistic about BA and others have expectations that may not be realistic for BA. I personally have not seen anything on the field that excites about BA as a QB. I'm with the wait and see camp to avoid being too negative towards the player.

Not my point. I fully understand and respect that position. My question is if you have posted 10 times that you will wait and see then why post it an 11th, 12th, 13th, etc...? It just seems kind of redundant.

When I come to a thread and I have posted my feelings numerous times before I tend not to post in that thread. Just trying to understand what possesses a person to post the same comment over and over in multiple threads.

BTW - I do like that concept of wait and see so not to rag on the player. I had not thought if that way and is a very good approach.

Danny J

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 04:19:33 pm
Not my point. I fully understand and respect that position. My question is if you have posted 10 times that you will wait and see then why post it an 11th, 12th, 13th, etc...? It just seems kind of redundant.

When I come to a thread and I have posted my feelings numerous times before I tend not to post in that thread. Just trying to understand what possesses a person to post the same comment over and over in multiple threads.

BTW - I do like that concept of wait and see so not to rag on the player. I had not thought if that way and is a very good approach.
I think it is good to vent frustrations which is what I do when I post something negative. It gets it off my chest and also sends out a warning signal to all other cynics, such as myself, to beware and not get your hopes up. It makes losing that much harder to accept when you expect something not based on reality. That is how I feel anyways.

ChitownHawg

April 13, 2014, 04:25:27 pm #34 Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:37:01 pm by locusbug
Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 13, 2014, 04:22:15 pm
I think it is good to vent frustrations which is what I do when I post something negative. It gets it off my chest and also sends out a warning signal to all other cynics, such as myself, to beware and not get your hopes up. It makes losing that much harder to accept when you expect something not based on reality. That is how I feel anyways.

You must be one frustrated dude!  ;)

TOM "tbw1"

I would also point out that being realistic does not mean that you have to be negative.  Your approach is a good one to take.   

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 13, 2014, 04:14:58 pm
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

LZH

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 04:11:40 pm
Understandable

How come when I say stuff like he did, nobody likes me anymore?

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 13, 2014, 04:26:19 pm

You are universally admired for your posts.   8)
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

ChitownHawg

Do you really want to open that Pandora's box? :D

Danny J

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 04:25:27 pm
You must be on frustrated dude!  ;)
As for our defense....for a long time now I can't even remember when we last had a good defense. I have been frustrated with both our offense and defense and really the whole team obviously for the last 2 years. Hopefully things are about to get better.

Danny J

I like you!!  ;)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 13, 2014, 04:36:22 pm
As for our defense....for a long time now I can't even remember when we last had a good defense. I have been frustrated with both our offense and defense and really the whole team obviously for the last 2 years. Hopefully things are about to get better.

I honestly do feel your pain and frustration. If this had happened after Nutt it might not have been so bad, but CBP did give us a short glimpse of the big stage. I think we will be back.

LZH

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on April 13, 2014, 04:28:54 pm

You are universally admired for your posts.   8)

I just wanna be friends with everyone....actually, I only say negative stuff every now and then just so guys will think I'm tough.

GuvHog

I'm anxious to see how well BA performs against Auburn but until then label me CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

seasonhog

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 13, 2014, 04:36:22 pm

It seems like the last game we played defense was the K-State bowl game, maybe cause we won.....

lefty08

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on April 13, 2014, 04:25:48 pm
I would also point out that being realistic does not mean that you have to be negative.  Your approach is a good one to take.

THIS ^^^^^^  I have been screaming this for years!!! Being a "realist" is a lot different than just being a negative, fire starting, douchebag. A realist might say, "we cant expect BA to be too much better than he was in the first 3 games last year" (IMO he was good enough for us to win several games in the SEC) while a negative douchebag would say something like, "BA is terrible", which I have seen way too many times on this site
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Danny J

Quote from: seasonhog on April 13, 2014, 06:14:49 pm

It seems like the last game we played defense was the K-State bowl game, maybe cause we won.....
Yep....our defense was very very good that game.

seasonhog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on April 13, 2014, 04:25:48 pm

+1

A good example of what a mod should be like...........

seasonhog

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 13, 2014, 04:39:47 pm

I just wanna be friends with everyone....actually, I only say negative stuff every now and then just so guys will think I'm tough.

ZepHog, you are a big teddy bear, sometimes we don't have a clue what you are saying, but we like it.

hope the tests were good................................

LZH

Quote from: seasonhog on April 13, 2014, 06:50:33 pm

ZepHog, you are a big teddy bear, sometimes we don't have a clue what you are saying, but we like it.

hope the tests were good................................

Ha ha!  Sometimes I wonder myself.....

And the tests were fine - I'm good.  Thanks for remembering.