Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the one thing Arkansas needs to break the threshold to win their first SEC title?

Started by Sweet Feet, April 12, 2014, 11:40:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Arkansas has made it to the SECCG 3 years in the league, showing they can reach the title game. What in your opinion is the major X-factor and variable to get arkansas over the hump in the SECCG?

Mike Irwin

goodguytex

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2014, 11:49:00 pm
Much, much better recruiting.
This. And building up a solid redshirt program that can build depth. And quality depth.

Big Papa Satan

Murr

3kgthog

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Pretty much has already be stated - quality recruiting and redshirt program. And no motorcycles for the coaching staff.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Dark Helmet Hog

We have been left with glaring holes in the defense and underdeveloped QB's. Obviously we need to recruit our way out of this, but the real question is can we develop the players that are here now to be serviceable for this year?

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 13, 2014, 07:44:08 am
Not a comforting thought coming from a journalist who just watched scrimmage.

Yep I for one was fooling myself when I believed the hype that CBP was a master at spotting and developing that 2 / 3 star recruits into an SEC player. CBB needs to begin to increase the number of 4 / 5 star skilled players. I think you can turn lower star linemen into SEC quality players, but only every once in a while with skill positions.

I believe we have the recruiters to do this.

goodguytex

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 08:01:58 am
Yep I for one was fooling myself when I believed the hype that CBP was a master at spotting and developing that 2 / 3 star recruits into an SEC player. CBB needs to begin to increase the number of 4 / 5 star skilled players. I think you can turn lower star linemen into SEC quality players, but only every once in a while with skill positions.

I believe we have the recruiters to do this.
I think so too... And look at the changes made in the recruiting department. Our director of recruiting has Texas and Louisiana ties. That after hiring coach Jennings.... Who has life long connections to schools all over Texas. Then we hire a whiz kid straight from the Bama football industrial complex.... Someone who was a part in landing the top classes Bama has been able to get. Our recruiting focus is shifting to Texas and Louisiana. And that's very good for the future of the program. We just gotta get it done.

SouthSide Johnny

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

ChitownHawg

Quote from: goodguytex on April 13, 2014, 08:08:27 am
I think so too... And look at the changes made in the recruiting department. Our director of recruiting has Texas and Louisiana ties. That after hiring coach Jennings.... Who has life long connections to schools all over Texas. Then we hire a whiz kid straight from the Bama football industrial complex.... Someone who was a part in landing the top classes Bama has been able to get. Our recruiting focus is shifting to Texas and Louisiana. And that's very good for the future of the program. We just gotta get it done.

I am not trying to turn this into a CBP bashing as I loved the guy as our coach and enjoyed the winning. Yet even with the winning we kept losing out on the big recruits. Where I think CBB may do better is the living room. Everything I hear about him is he is dynamic in person. You need that when sitting on the sofa with the parents and kids.

Here is to me not being fooled again!  :D

Pig In The City

I think better recruiting is a no-brainer and I definitely see that with CBB's staff.  It isn't overnight but Rome wasn't built in a day.  At some point, a team needs playmakers.  Players that provide leadership, spark and the big play.  The realistic difference between Mallett and Wilson was Mallett's ability to make the big play...to win the game when it was tight.  Matt Jones was a playmaker.  McFadden was a playmaker.  Cowins was a playmaker.  I don't think they were four or five stars.  We need that type of player or players to step up and take the reigns.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HogFanDallas on April 13, 2014, 08:15:14 am
I think better recruiting is a no-brainer and I definitely see that with CBB's staff.  It isn't overnight but Rome wasn't built in a day.  At some point, a team needs playmakers.  Players that provide leadership, spark and the big play.  The realistic difference between Mallett and Wilson was Mallett's ability to make the big play...to win the game when it was tight.  Matt Jones was a playmaker.  McFadden was a playmaker.  Cowins was a playmaker.  I don't think they were four or five stars.  We need that type of player or players to step up and take the reigns.

I know Dmac was.

SouthSide Johnny

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

BENTON PIGGEE

The right coach who will do the million little things right for it to happen, and I think Bert may be him.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ChitownHawg

ChitownHawg

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on April 13, 2014, 08:36:01 am
The right coach who will do the million little things right for it to happen, and I think Bert may be him.

Who is Bert?

LZH

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

popcornhog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on April 13, 2014, 01:54:13 am
Bobby Petrino

Petrino never even made it to Atlanta.

Seriously though, he may have won it eventually if Bama and LSU were both down in the same year, but he was not going to put us above those guys. His emphasis on defense was lacking.
WPS

PygmalionEffect

CBB is an improvement there over CBP but it's looking like in order to get the players that everybody in the country wants outside this state, in most situations you have to have a combination of a head coach and a position coach that are both excellent recruiters.

We're top five the last two years in recruiting O-linemen with Pittman, made more impressive that they only had about six weeks to recruit that first year.  We've beaten out bama on several of these, so we are on par with the best in football in a major area of recruiting already. 

The 500 lb elephant gorilla in the area of recruiting for CBB is that we don't have at least 2 or 3 blue chip linebackers to go along with our 6 or 7 blue chip offensive line recruits that Pittman has secured for us.

Outside of helping on a couple of lightly recruited 3 star DBs out of south florida, Shannon has been a huge disappointment so far in recruiting.

Why can't Shannon recruit to the University of Arkansas?  Anyone want to take a shot at it?

I've always thought we out-kicked our coverage on that hire and he can't recruit here because no one thought he would stay even this long and if there was a linebacker recruit that wanted to be coached by Shannon they would be confused as to which school to sign with.

By results you could assume Shannon has been ineffective in satisfying those concerns.  That is if you buy into the first assumption that Shannon can recruit.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

goodguytex

Quote from: locusbug on April 13, 2014, 08:13:53 am
I am not trying to turn this into a CBP bashing as I loved the guy as our coach and enjoyed the winning. Yet even with the winning we kept losing out on the big recruits. Where I think CBB may do better is the living room. Everything I hear about him is he is dynamic in person. You need that when sitting on the sofa with the parents and kids.

Here is to me not being fooled again!  :D
I agree with your thinking. I liked and appreciated CBP for the good he did at Arkansas. I wish the bad had not been so damaging. Lack of retention and quality recruiting are effects we are having to deal with now and will be for awhile. I hope we are on the right track now.

ICEman

We have never made it to Atlanta when the league as a whole was at the top of its game.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

goodguytex

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 13, 2014, 09:38:57 am
CBB is an improvement there over CBP but it's looking like in order to get the players that everybody in the country wants outside this state, in most situations you have to have a combination of a head coach and a position coach that are both excellent recruiters.

We're top five the last two years in recruiting O-linemen with Pittman, made more impressive that they only had about six weeks to recruit that first year.  We've beaten out bama on several of these, so we are on par with the best in football in a major area of recruiting already. 

The 500 lb elephant in the area of recruiting for CBB is that we don't have at least 2 or 3 blue chip linebackers to go along with our 6 or 7 blue chip offensive line recruits that Pittman has secured for us.
I think that's where focusing on Texas and Louisiana in recruiting comes into play. There has been a great deal of defensive and LB talent coming from those two states. We need to go get them. And I think that's why two of the last three hires have ties to those two states. Bielema has believed in defense being a weapon in winning games. I think he has figured out we have to get into Texas and Louisiana to get the talent there, as much as possible.

Danny J

^^^^ Agreed

Go back and look at our 3 attempts....against the Gators then Bulldogs and against the Gators again and especially in the first two it was glaring the amount of talent differential between the two teams.

ChitownHawg

PORKULATOR

The best offensive line in the SEC. We achieve that and the rest will take care of itself.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

The reason we have been to the SECCG 3 times is that our competition was much flatter during those years.  We've never just stood up and powered our way to the league CG. 

We need good error free (almost) coach all season long.  We need recruiting that can lead to a good balanced offense, a stonewall defense and a burner returner and a kicking game second to none.  Throw in depth and we could win it all. 

For a short peek, look at Aubbie, LSU, BAMA, FLA most years, GA most years, etc.

Hawgzinbowlz

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Cotton

Brilliant suggestions.

1. Defense
2. Talent
3. Coaching
4. Recruiting
5. Depth

Bunch of bright rays of sunshine aren't we? So we don't have anything on the hill right now?

Smh
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hawgsalot

Quote from: ICEman on April 13, 2014, 09:43:57 am
We have never made it to Atlanta when the league as a whole was at the top of its game.

You mean Florida didn't win the national title after they escaped us by 2 boneheaded special teams plays?

Prestworthy