Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quarterback Changes Highlight Hogs 2nd Spring Scrimmage

Started by Mike Irwin, April 12, 2014, 09:56:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

FAYETTEVILLE--Former backup quarterback A.J. Derby had a productive day at tight end in the Razorbacks' second public scrimmage of the spring. Derby caught two passes for 22 yards and a touchdown after dropping a wide open bomb from quarterback Brandon Allen early in the scrimmage.

"I think it's the first drop he's had in team situations," head coach Bret Bielema said of Derby's transition to tight end. "I mean he's just been catching everything. He's absolutely loving it."

Bielema revealed that Derby had to be talked into making the switch, telling reporters, "He didn't want to hear it last spring. He didn't want to hear it in the fall but now I don't think you could find a happier person on this earth than A.J Derby."
--------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/quarterback-changes-highlight-hogs-2nd-spring-scri/18023/uGVelTBDOk61H71LIOJubw

PygmalionEffect

Got to put the talent were it fits. Sounds like Derby can help us at TE.

Player dont want to go where coach wants to put them, I have no problem with asking them to transfer.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Mike Irwin

I think Mitchell is the one who might decide to leave. Bielema agreed to keep him at QB if he decides he wants to stay there. But the kid has enough sense to know that he'd probably ride the pine the whole time. So it looks like he's either going to come around to playing WR and returning punts or he will transfer.

Hawgzinbowlz

The play AJ dropped was open later in the practice, I think with Sprinkle as TE, and unfortunately the QB was scrambling for his life and had to throw it away. I'm hoping this play is effectively used in SEC play. Wide open.

Mitchell is a talented player. Hoping he stays but would understand if he transfers. Some team has more playing time for him at QB, than the Hogs.

" GO HOGS "

Pig In The City

Good news that Derby is happy at TE.  This is a huge position for our offense.  There is lots of opportunity to be an impact player at this position. 

I hope we use the TE more this coming season than last.  It would appear that we have serious talent at that position.

hogwild210

Quote from: HogFanDallas on April 13, 2014, 08:53:45 am
Good news that Derby is happy at TE.  This is a huge position for our offense.  There is lots of opportunity to be an impact player at this position.

I LOVE that we have a former QB at TE.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: 12247 on April 13, 2014, 12:27:34 pm
I hope we use the TE more this coming season than last.  It would appear that we have serious talent at that position.
Our formation, with 3 tight ends, looks like something from another planet compared to the spread formations used all across college football.
HH, Sprinkle and AJ give us three very athletic receiver/blockers that will create mismatch problems at times this year. 3 very good receivers in this bunch.
Alex Voeltzke (6'6"-255 Jr.)and Mitchell Loewen (6'4"-269 Jr. : injured) do a nice job as well.

" GO HOGS "

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: MorrellHog on April 13, 2014, 12:42:03 pm
Our formation, with 3 tight ends, looks like something from another planet compared to the spread formations used all across college football.
HH, Sprinkle and AJ give us three very athletic receiver/blockers that will create mismatch problems at times this year. 3 very good receivers in this bunch.
Alex Voeltzke (6'6"-255 Jr.)and Mitchell Loewen (6'4"-269 Jr. : injured) do a nice job as well.

" GO HOGS "

This
This is my non-signature signature.