Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opponent Roster Losses

Started by bennyl08, April 12, 2014, 05:04:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Auburn: Offense: QB: They return all of their passing stats.
RB: They lose their top rusher in Mason. 37% of total rushing yards lost (49% of yards by rb's), 48% of rushing td's (63% by rb's), and 42% of their carries (54.4% by rb's). Top returning rusher is Qb Marshall, but they also return two 600 yard rb's who both scored 6 td's. They also lose a top rated fb.
WR/TE: Lose 9.8% of receiving yards. However, they only had one threat in the passing game last season at all.
OL: They lose top rated LT Greg Robinson, but return the rest of their two deep.

Defense: They lose starting DL in Ford and Eugae, return the rest. Lose starting MLB Holland, and lose 3 players in the secondary in Smith, White, and Davis. 32% of total tackles and unassisted tackles are gone. 25% of TFL's are gone including the most prominent player in Ford, 36% of sacks. 50% of defended passes are gone, and 31% of interceptions. 100% of blocked kicks, 55.55% of forced fumbles, and 40% of recovered fumbles.

Special Teams: Lose their starting P, K, holder, LS, and PR.

TTU: Offense: Return both of their starters, and pretty much all of their passing stats.
RB: Lose 12% of rushing yards, and 16% of td's. Weren't terribly productive last year in the air raid offense.
WR/TE: Lose Amaro, Ward, their top two targets and Foster. Lose 46% of receptions, 48% of yards, and 43% of td's.
OL: Looks like they only lose their starting RT on their two deep.

Defense: Lose Hyder, Wesley, and Bush on the DL, Smith and Bullitt at LB, and Jones, Mays, Porter, and Felemi in the secondary. This accounts for 46% of total tackles and unassisted, 44% of TFL, 46% of sacks, 59% of qbh's, 16% of int's, 66.66% of pass break ups, 100% of blocked kicks, 53.33% of forced fumbles.

ST: Lose their starting holder and punt returner.

N. Illinois: Offense: QB: Lose NFL prospect in Lynch. Return 7% of yards and 13.7% of td's.
RB: Lose their top rusher who was Lynch. 46% of yards, 46% of carries, and 59% of td's.
WR/TE: They return at least everybody from their two deep.
OL: Lose starting LG, RT, and backup LG.

Defense: Lose Rainey, Bishop, Wells, and Windsor on DL (all four of their starters), Ward, Ware, and Evans in the secondary, starting safety, cb, and backup safety. 33.4% of tackles, 43% of TFL, 34% of sacks, 63% of int's, 40% of pbu's, and 29% of forced fumbles.

ST:Lose their kicker.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

aTm Offense: QB: Lose heisman winning qb Manziel. Return10% of passing yards, 7.5% of td's, not counting the suspension of one of their returning qb's.
RB: Lose Manziel, Malena. Lost 54% of yards, 55.7% of carries, and 57.6% of td's.
WR/TE: Lose Evans, Labhard, Hicks, and Walker. 56.6% of receptions, 67.4% of yards, and 67.5% of td's.
OL: Lose Matthews, and backup LG.

Defense: Askew, Jenkins, and Jacobs from the two deep. 1 starter, 2 backups. Jenkins was their leading tackler and best overall defender, Askew ranked 9th in tackles. Don't want to go through those calculations. Last season they lost at least 45% of production in every major statistic, suffice it to say, they return most of the defense from last season.

ST: Lose LS and backup kick/punt returners.

Bama Offense: QB: Lose AJ McCarron. Return 5% of yards and 6.66% of td's.
RB: Return all of their rb's.
WR/TE: Lose Bell and Norwood. 21% of rec., 23% of yards, 26.66% of td's.
OL: Lose Kouandijo, Steen. 2 starters.

Defense: Stinson and Pagan at DE, Hubbard, Mosely, and Patrick at LB, Belue, Fulton, Clinton-Dix, Sunseri at secondary. Lose 40% of tackles, 40% of TFL, 30% of sacks, 45% of int's, 43% of pbu's, 57% of qbh's.

ST: Lose K, P, and holder.

UGA Offense: QB: Lose Murray, 75.3% of yards, 84% of td's.
RB: Return all rb's, but lose 27% of td's from Murray.
WR/TE: Wooten, Lynch, Williams, McGowan. 27.7% of rec., 28% of yards, and 35.5% of td's.
OL: Lose starting LT, LG, RG.

Defense: Only lose Garrison Smith as a starter at DE, and a third string S. 4th leading tackler, but he wasn't the main guy to get tfl's or anything.

ST: Lose nothing.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

April 12, 2014, 07:31:11 pm #2 Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:48:56 pm by bennyl08
MSU Offense: QB: Lose Russell but perhaps found a star in Dak. Return 72% of yards and td's
RB: Lose Perkins, lose 24% of yards, 14% of td's.
WR/TE: Only lose Perkins, and the 17% of td receptions
OL: Lose top talent Gabe Jackson at LG and the backup C.

Defense: lose DE Autry and that is it out of the entire 2-deep, and he was not very integral for their defense.

ST: Lose their punters.

LSU Offense: QB: Lose Mettenberger (and Rivers to transfer). Return 5.5% of passing yards, 4.3% of td's.
RB: Lose Hill and Blue. lose FB Copeland 59.8% of Carries, 68.5% of yards, and 54% of td's.
WR/TE: Lose Beckham Jr, Landry, Boone, Wright. 83% of receptions, 84% of yards, 87% of td's.
OL: Lose starting RG Turner

Defense: Lose both starting DT's Johnson, Ferguson, starting LB Barrow and backup Jones, S Loston. In total, they lose 26.5% of tackles, 32% of TFL's, 24% of sacks, 26% of qbh's, 19% of pbu's, 100% of blocks.

ST: Lose their holder and kick returners.

Ole Miss: Offense: Qb: Lose backup Brunetti, 8% of yards, 25% of td's
RB: Lose Jeff Scott, 24% of carries, 32.5% of yards, 27.3% of td's.
WR: Lose Moncreif, Holder, Logan, Nuismmer, and Bigham. Two starting WR, two backup TE's, backup wr. Losing 43% of rec, 47.7% of yards, and 37.5% of td's.
OL: Lose starting LG, C, RT, backup LT, LG, and RG.

Defense: Lose Wigham on DL, Marry and Collins at LB, and Sawyer and Matthews in the secondary. 3 starters. 19% of tackles, 19% of TFL's, 27.5% of sacks, 25% of qbh's, 20.5% of pbu's, 25% of forced fumbles. (DT Shackleford has a 6th year to play, so these numbers are now incorrect).

ST: P, backup P, Holder, backup H, K, all 3 PR's.

Mizzou: Offense: QB: Lose Franklin 68.6% of yards, 61.3% of td's.
RB: Lose Josey. lose 50.4% of yards, 50.5% or carries, and 57% of td's.
WR: Lose DGB, Washington, Lucas, Waters, Clark, starters at 4 of 5 wr/te positions. 73% of receptions, 76% of yards, 87% of td's.
OL: Starting LT, LG.

Defense: Ealy, Sam, Burnett at DL, Wilson and Bonner at LB, and Gaines, Ponder, and White at secondary, all starters except for Burnett. 72% of tackles, 46.3% of TFL's, 56% of sacks, 50% of int's, 48.4% of qbh's, 50% of pbu's, 43% of forced fumbles.

ST: Nobody.

bennyl08

April 12, 2014, 07:39:29 pm #3 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:49:35 pm by bennyl08
What does it mean?

Auburn They don't really lose a lot in total production, but definitely lose some key playmakers in Ford and Mason, and a top 5 draft pick in Robinson at LT. Will be a tough game. If we want to win, we will have to take advantage of their losses on special teams.

Texas Tech They lose a lot of production at receiver and will have to make it up quickly. Historically we have not been good in the secondary, but a lack of experience by the receivers will help. Their defense was really hit hard by graduation. This game sets up to be similar to last year's game vs Texas A&M. The key difference being that we should be much improved in year 2 and TTU is not on the same caliber as aTm. I think our defense does surprisingly well, but our offense will still need to put 30+ on the board to win.

NIU They lose their impressive qb and most of the offensive line. While the new qb will surrounded with nearly the same skill players as Lynch, he will be on the road and we will be able to put pressure on him. Their defense also is losing a fair amount of production with some NFL talent on it as well departing. Assuming that like most small schools that they had a perfect storm of having an NFL athlete at qb and safety along with a senior laden OL, then there is a good chance they will be rebuilding next season more than reloading.

bennyl08

aTm Last year they lost over 45% in every single category of defense while retaining a large majority of their offense. This year, their defense stays largely intact, but their offense is completely gutted. While they have recruited well, that much talent and production won't be quickly replaced. Plus, given that our defense was better than theirs last season, them having to rely on defense won't be encouraging for their fans. With the game at a neutral site, we stand a realistic shot of winning it. I would still say we are the underdog, though.

Bama Okay, so we aren't going to beat Bama, but there is a strong chance that they become more 1-dimensional on offense next season and they do lose a lot of production on defense, particularly in the secondary. This sets up to give us our maximum chance of winning the game. They will be forced to run the ball more rather than pass due to a new qb and loss of experienced receivers (save for the very talented Cooper). Stopping the run is what our defense is best at. Also, while they return a lot of the front 7, our OL should be even stronger next year, hopefully helping to balance that out, while our receiving corp will be much improved compared to the devastated secondary of Bama. Still likely won't win, but it could be a respectable score. Their loss of special teams players could also help.

UGA I was certainly under the impression that this game would be much easier this year compared to last. However, looking at the actual numbers, the only person of any importance that they lost was Murray, and his backup has extensive work last season due to injury. Georgia has a tendency to lose a couple games they shouldn't, but I think this team will surprise people next year due to how much returning they have.

bennyl08

MSU Okay, I know I've said this before and been burned, which makes me very hesitant to do so again this year, but MSU could be a tough team in 2014. Dak Prescott has a lot of potential as a qb. Their team started off a bit slow, but finished with a thrashing of Rice in a bowl game, and hardly lose any player worth mentioning. With the game in Starkville, this will be another tough one.

LSU As always, this game is always a 50/50 game. That's just how it is. That said, their offense will be terrible nest year. This team has been absolutely gutted by the NFL two years in a row. They set a record for Junior departures to the NFL last season, and it showed in their performance on the field last season. Their defense will be better and playing NEAR the end of the season will likely decrease any inexperience. Still, if we can get our passing game going to compliment the run game, then we could be difficult to stop come november and when you factor in the rivalry aspect to this game, there is a possibility of victory.

OM Ole Miss returns a lot, but from a 7-5 team. Treadwell is legit at WR, but Wallace may struggle to find other dependable targets. He still needs to improve his decision making if he wants to play qb after college. 18 td's to 10 int's isn't a very good ratio. Their freshman class from last season should be greatly improved this year, and the game is in Oxford. I'm still not overly impressed with this team and while I would place us as an underdog in the game, it would only be by 4 points or so.

Missouri I'm calling it right now, we beat Missouri. Their first year in the SEC was just a culmination of bad luck and injuries that made them a pushover. Similarly, last year was a culmination of good luck and a senior laden roster. This coming season, they not only lose a lot on offense, but also a lot on defense. We, OTOH, return most of our team, so by season's end, I think we will be the stronger team. Mauk will be a strong replacement for Franklin, but he won't have the same luxery of skill players surrounding him or a defense that, while normally weak, had a perfect storm pull together last season.

Verdict on the season: 7-5 +-1

bennyl08

Arkansas Offense: QB: We lose nobody, retain all stats.
RB: We lose Small at fb and Holmes. Total losses 10% of rushing yards, 9.5% of carries, 35.7% of td's.
WR/TE: Lose Tate, Herndon, Horton. Lose 42% of receptions, 40% of receiving yards and td's.
OL: Lose Swanson and Hurd.

Defense: Lose Smith at DE, Jones and Thomas at DT, Holmes and Lake at LB, and Bennett at S. We lose 25% of tackles, 37.3% of TFL, 50% of sacks, 12.5% of int's, 34.6% of qbh's, 18% of pbu's, 33.33% of recovered fumbles.

ST: K and PR.

bennyl08

As an opponent, how I would interpret Arkansas, their running game should improve, and they lose nothing at qb, but the lose a decent amount at receiver, so that will offset some improvement at qb. On defense, they return most of their defense, especially in the back 7, but they do lose a bit in the pass rush department, so they should be weaker there. On ST, losing the K can be a big deal as well.

As an Arkansas fan, I think our receiving group will be drastically better next season due to the incoming recruiting class (which I did not factor in to any of the below schools, be warned). Also, the backup DE's looked very good in spot duty last season not to mention excelling this spring, so DE and pass rush should not be much of an issue. Also, Hedlund will be a very good replacement for Hocker, IMO.

root_hawg

Arkansas should be improved at WR, addition through subtraction.

JeffSpicoli

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: root_hawg on April 12, 2014, 08:53:44 pm
Arkansas should be improved at WR, addition through subtraction.
Same could be said about S and LB
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Lake City Hog

Auburn will be tough, but Gus' teams get better as the season goes along so getting them early will be to our advantage. Will it be enough of an advantage??

I watched a little of the TT spring game today and we should be able to run the ball very effectively against them. We are too big up front for them to hang with us in the trenches. But, we must make the respect the pass enough to keep 8 or 9 guys from crowding the LOS.

I see NIU as losing too much to be super competitive, this is a game that we absolutely must win and should.

ATM could be a lot like TT, pound them and pound them some more. Throw the ball enough to keep them honest and pound them all day long. This is a game where I believe that putting pressure on the QB will be very important. Make the new guy make some plays with Flowers and Wise breathing down his neck.

Bama, I would rather have them as a road game and Missouri as the home finale. But, it is what it is. This is a game that we need to play ball control on offense and a little more laid back on defense. DON"T give up big plays and try to keep it close til the 4th quarter.

Georgia at the Rock should be a great game, losing Murray is a huge loss I don't care if his backup is pretty good. I don't think he will play up to Murray's level for a while. A huge hill to climb and the odds will be against us but what the heck!

I honestly believe that we could sweep the state of Mississippi! On the road at Starkville will be tough, but I think it is winnable. Another game where we need to play ball control and keep it close. OM on the other hand is a game where we should apply some pressure. Get in Wallace's face and see if we can force him into some bad throws. Senior day in Fayetteville!!

LSU splits up the Mississippi schools and another big home game! I don't know if we can beat them or not but I promise they will leave town knowing they played a ballgame! We can beat them if we can keep them off balance enough with the pass. I think that this is a game where we should use the pass to setup the run. Make them think pass first and Williams/Collins might break a couple of big runs.

Closing out on the road at Missouri will be a tall order. There backup played well enough to keep them in some very big games. Will their defense be able to keep our run game in check? This late in the year injuries could well be the biggest factor for either team.

Guys, we only have 3 real conference road games, Auburn, MSU and Missouri. ATM in Dallas is a neutral site but we seem to play well there. We really need to take advantage of the schedule.

bennyl08

Out of curiosity, what do you see in Mauk that you don't see in Mason?

Haha, found this gem on google.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=443155.0

To me, I see one team with a ton of returning talent, including the best rb in the nation along with a strong defense vs a team that just had one out of the blue magical season and then lost everybody that made it magical.

Lake City Hog

Well we get Georgia in Little Rock and Missouri on the road.
Mauk won some big games for Missouri while Franklin was hurt and Mason lost his big game against Nebraska.

Plus I think Mauk has a lot more real game experience than Mason. We get Mason fairly early in the year. Georgia is notorious for starting slow. We play Missouri on their senior day, an emotional day for sure.

Now, to be sure I think that overall talent easily goes to Georgia! But, it is the QB that drives everything. As I said earlier, injuries can completely change the outlook of any game. Especially toward the end of the season when most teams are farily beat up.

bennyl08

Fair enough. I see the double OT vs Georgia Tech with the team riddled by injuries. The Nebraska game I though Mason player very well. Muffed punts and dropped passes really hurt the team, not to mention a bit of questionable coaching.

Mauk also looked very good in relief of Franklin. However, the only games he even completed more than 3 passes were wins vs a 4-8 gators team, 5-7 Tennessee, 2-10 Kentucky team, and a loss to SC.

Actually (I'm just now learning this going through the stats) Mauk and Mason both have the same game experience really. Mason started/played significantly in 4 games last year. Mauk started/played significantly in four games, though he did appear in 6 other games attempting a grand total of 16 passes combined in those other games. Mason will also be a senior and has played in games in previous years, getting some good reps in a few games in 2010 as well. Mauk will just be a sophomore next year.

You are spot on with the timing of the games though. You always want to play Georgia early in the year.

Steef

Lake City Hog

Benny, just shows how bad my memory really is! I thought that Mauk really played well while Franklin was hurt. Maybe Missouri had a better D than I gave them credit for!

I would say that Georgia is much more talented across the board, I'm just worried about the road aspect as much as anything.

k.c.hawg

Mauk will be a very good QB at Missouri. I think he will suffer some early, from the loss of DGB but fully expect him to play at a high level as he matures. Pinkel has always done a good job of developing QB's there and I suspect Mauk will look a lot like Chase Daniel when he gets comfortable as the starter. I think he wasn't overly impressive last year due to the staffs play calling while he was in the game. They were willing to try to win with defense and hold the fort down when Franklin was out. There were a couple of times where Mauk came out, made big plays, got them on the board and then play calling got conservative.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

BPsTheMan

goodguytex

Great job Benny, but one little correction... We get Ole Miss in Fayetteville this year. One thing to keep in mind about our schedule... We never play both Mississippi teams on the road or at home in the same year. We never play both SEC Alabama universities at home or on the road in the same year, and we always play Alabama and LSU at home the same year and on the road the same year.

secneahog

Mizzou lost a lot of production.  I also think olé puss lost a lot on the ol and great wr. Should struggle if their ol doesn't mesh. We lost 2 and you see how we are trying to mesh.

Auburn lost some defensive studs...rbs should be plug and play in that system but I do know Auburn struggled against Washington state last year at home In game 1.

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 13, 2014, 01:33:44 am
Fair enough. I see the double OT vs Georgia Tech with the team riddled by injuries. The Nebraska game I though Mason player very well. Muffed punts and dropped passes really hurt the team, not to mention a bit of questionable coaching.

Mauk also looked very good in relief of Franklin. However, the only games he even completed more than 3 passes were wins vs a 4-8 gators team, 5-7 Tennessee, 2-10 Kentucky team, and a loss to SC.

Actually (I'm just now learning this going through the stats) Mauk and Mason both have the same game experience really. Mason started/played significantly in 4 games last year. Mauk started/played significantly in four games, though he did appear in 6 other games attempting a grand total of 16 passes combined in those other games. Mason will also be a senior and has played in games in previous years, getting some good reps in a few games in 2010 as well. Mauk will just be a sophomore next year.

You are spot on with the timing of the games though. You always want to play Georgia early in the year.

Great job on the thread and info, Benny. I wouldn't take Mauk too lightly though. I was impressed with his ability to make plays when I watched him play. Not sure if he can do that consistently but he seems to be fairly athletic.

As for Mason at Georgia, I think that eligibility wise he is a R/Jr, though they have him listed as a Senior. Not as athletic as Mauk, but a better passer who has been in the system long enough that there shouldn't be any confusion with regard to running the offense. Georgia has a tendency to have a couple of double digit win seasons and then drops off a bit for one or two seasons. Like you, I expect Georgia to rebound this year with all of the folks that they return. This should be a tough game.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

We got a real shot in Winning 6+ this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

code red

Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Mizzou and UGA are games some folks actually believe the Hogs can win.  I just don't think that is anywhere close to the truth.  I look for UGA and Ole Miss to have super years.  I think Ole Miss will beat either Bama or LSU this year.  They are loaded.  I think winning one of them would be great.  Bama at bama.....no. NIU and TT will be toss ups. A&M will be super improved on defense.  I mean the bottom line is winning but..it won't happen next year.  So how to we measure improvement next year???
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 15, 2014, 09:23:37 am
We got a real shot in Winning 6+ this year.
How do you figure??
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

rljjr

Quote from: code red on April 15, 2014, 02:42:24 pm
How do you figure??

How do you not? We should start the season 4-0, we can beat LSU and the Mississippi schools too. Mizzou -- we can win. Georgia can be beaten. These are all realistic.

code red

Quote from: rljjr on April 15, 2014, 03:07:52 pm
How do you not? We should start the season 4-0, we can beat LSU and the Mississippi schools too. Mizzou -- we can win. Georgia can be beaten. These are all realistic.
I beg to differ.  Georgia QB had plenty of time to get ready for this season.  I see that a lot of people are talking about these young qbs in the SEC.  But, most of them played in a bowl game last year.  The Razorbacks will not be favored in a single SEC game next year.  That will be fact.  Maty Mauk is a great running QB as is Dak Prescott.  State is returning almost everything....as is OM.  This team is not ready for a road win...we lose at Tech.  In my opinion 6 win would be overachieving.

Steef

Quote from: Solomwi on April 16, 2014, 04:07:36 pm
Good call. Maybe you'll be able to hold us under 5 extra points this year.

I can't stand Auburn as a program. Sure don't like your coach. Don't like your sleazy history. Or really even...you.

But I think your football team is probably going to win the SEC again this year.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 12, 2014, 07:49:00 pm
aTm Last year they lost over 45% in every single category of defense while retaining a large majority of their offense. This year, their defense stays largely intact, but their offense is completely gutted. While they have recruited well, that much talent and production won't be quickly replaced. Plus, given that our defense was better than theirs last season, them having to rely on defense won't be encouraging for their fans. With the game at a neutral site, we stand a realistic shot of winning it. I would still say we are the underdog, though.

Bama Okay, so we aren't going to beat Bama, but there is a strong chance that they become more 1-dimensional on offense next season and they do lose a lot of production on defense, particularly in the secondary. This sets up to give us our maximum chance of winning the game. They will be forced to run the ball more rather than pass due to a new qb and loss of experienced receivers (save for the very talented Cooper). Stopping the run is what our defense is best at. Also, while they return a lot of the front 7, our OL should be even stronger next year, hopefully helping to balance that out, while our receiving corp will be much improved compared to the devastated secondary of Bama. Still likely won't win, but it could be a respectable score. Their loss of special teams players could also help.

UGA I was certainly under the impression that this game would be much easier this year compared to last. However, looking at the actual numbers, the only person of any importance that they lost was Murray, and his backup has extensive work last season due to injury. Georgia has a tendency to lose a couple games they shouldn't, but I think this team will surprise people next year due to how much returning they have.

Apparently aTm has had three defensive players arrested for FTA's on traffic offenses and one assault charge.. no say on their status with the program.

HawgFan70

Quote from: rljjr on April 15, 2014, 03:07:52 pm

Start 4-0? You think we will go to Auburn and win? Winning at Lubbock will be tough to do. Georgia and Ole Miss could both have monster years so I wouldn't count them as wins. I don't know why everyone has decided we will beat LSU, is it because we played them close last season?
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

Lake City Hog

Benny, how does the ATM situation possibly affect their roster?

Starting a true freshman at QB? Losing a couple of more defensive players?

Steef

Quote from: HawgFan70 on April 16, 2014, 08:08:03 pm
Start 4-0? You think we will go to Auburn and win? Winning at Lubbock will be tough to do. Georgia and Ole Miss could both have monster years so I wouldn't count them as wins. I don't know why everyone has decided we will beat LSU, is it because we played them close last season?

We DID play them close. On the road. We have them at home this year. And they've lost some key players.

Its no gimmee. But it could happen.

bennyl08

Depends on which players they lost...

Alright, just saw the story, and honestly, I imagine all 3 will be in play for our game. Probably some team probation, maybe suspended the first game or two. That said, 2 of the players would be huge losses for their defense. The third, as I read, was a receiver who totaled 65 yards last season, which is still significant given how much they lose at receiver. If Matthews does not play in the game vs us, I probably change the game to a toss-up from a potential win. Matthews and Stansbury don't play, probably still a toss-up designation, but on the verge of really liking our chances.

As for Auburn, if they had lost their center, Dismukes I think, to the draft this year, I would probably upgrade that game to a tossup. That game was fairly close last year, and Arkansas has usually had the upper hand vs auburn over the past decade, especially when we are the underdogs at their house. I think our defense will be greatly improved this season, but losing Robinson and Mason will keep their offense about the same. The big x-factor is what will their defense do? Auburn hasn't had a good defense in a long time, but it certainly isn't for a lack of 4 and 5* players. However, this game should not be a blowout.

I still don't see how ole miss will have a monster year. They were supposed to have a monster year this year, but still did pretty much the same as the year before. One major reasoning is that Wallace has yet to cut down on mistakes. Going into last season, that was his biggest issue, and while it slightly improved, his picks hurt the team. In general, I make the assumption that a player improves year to year and that they live up to caliber unless there is data to suggest otherwise. As of now, there is data to suggest he may have trouble cutting down on turnovers.

code red

Quote from: Solomwi on April 17, 2014, 11:41:09 am
People saying Auburn's offense will be about the same or a little worse are in for a huge surprise. We may not rush for quite as many yards, but the passing game will be much better. I don't think we'll be balanced. Will probably still run 60 plus % of the time, including zone read. However, Duke Williams didn't come to Auburn to learn how to block. That guy lined up opposite Sammie Coates will be a nightmare of opposing defenses with our run game.
Any chance Malzahn didn't hear the comments Brett's making about the Tigers???  I am afraid the score will be lopsided.

NaturalStateReb

D.T. Shackleford isn't gone for Ole Miss.  He recently won the Chucky Mullins award and will wear No. 38 this season.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040514aae.html
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

code red

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on April 16, 2014, 07:20:59 pm
Apparently aTm has had three defensive players arrested for FTA's on traffic offenses and one assault charge.. no say on their status with the program.
Ha Ha!!!!!!!!  They will play no doubt.

NaturalStateReb

I see A&M taking a step back this year.  Looking for a 7 or 8 win season from them.

Their early schedule sets up nicely, especially if they're able to slip past South Carolina in the opener.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

code red

Quote from: HawgFan70 on April 16, 2014, 08:08:03 pm
You are totally right.  Some folks are quick to tag Ole Miss as bottom dwellers of the SEC W.  They are loaded with a stable of running backs and a system that can make a defensive coordinators head roll.  I like you think these teams may rank in the top 2 of their respective divisions come November.

lumphog

Quote from: steefhog on April 16, 2014, 04:14:08 pm
I can't stand Auburn as a program. Sure don't like your coach. Don't like your sleazy history. Or really even...you.

But I think your football team is probably going to win the SEC again this year.
Won't happen, Saban is stickin pins in a Gus doll as we speak. If Gus wants to win the West, he better wear a Chicken foot around his neck!!!!

Hogwild

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 12, 2014, 07:31:11 pm

LSU Offense: QB: Lose Mettenberger (and Rivers to transfer). Return 5.5% of passing yards, 4.3% of td's.
RB: Lose Hill and Blue. lose FB Copeland 59.8% of Carries, 68.5% of yards, and 54% of td's.
WR/TE: Lose Beckham Jr, Landry, Boone, Wright. 83% of receptions, 84% of yards, 87% of td's.
OL: Lose starting LT Collins and RG Turner

I pretty sure he decided to return, I haven't seen his name on any mock drafts and he was rated as 1st round pick.

bennyl08

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 17, 2014, 12:50:30 pm
D.T. Shackleford isn't gone for Ole Miss.  He recently won the Chucky Mullins award and will wear No. 38 this season.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040514aae.html

I forgot he had that weird medical thing, making him a 6th year senior right?

As for Auburn, i like how you say "the lined up next to Coates". Mainly because Coates is your only receiver who has any level of production. Triple cover Sammy and use the other 8 guys to stop the run, and that's how you beat Auburn.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogwild on April 17, 2014, 02:39:59 pm

I pretty sure he decided to return, I haven't seen his name on any mock drafts and he was rated as 1st round pick.

Wow, yeah. He definitely did come back to stay. I probably saw his name listed under early departures from LSU and didn't read that he was staying.

HawgFan70

Quote from: steefhog on April 16, 2014, 10:12:23 pm
We DID play them close. On the road. We have them at home this year. And they've lost some key players.

Its no gimmee. But it could happen.

LSU came out against us they were flat as they could be. We hit them with our best shot and they beat us, I seriously doubt they will be that flat this year. Anything can happen but saying we will beat LSU at this point is just throwing s^&t on a wall seeing if any of it sticks
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

JansterZ71

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2014, 02:43:14 pm
I forgot he had that weird medical thing, making him a 6th year senior right?

As for Auburn, i like how you say "the lined up next to Coates". Mainly because Coates is your only receiver who has any level of production. Triple cover Sammy and use the other 8 guys to stop the run, and that's how you beat Auburn.
LoL Auburn has two first team SEC receivers this year so no.  And 8 to stop the run?  That's why they were so good last year. Easier said then done.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

bennyl08

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 17, 2014, 08:17:37 pm
LoL Auburn has two first team SEC receivers this year so no.  And 8 to stop the run?  That's why they were so good last year. Easier said then done.

Tell me, who else on your roster had even 30 receptions? Did somebody else break 400 yards, or have 5 td's? Did anybody outside of Coates have any level of production to reasonably say they will be a demonstrable threat?

TheGrove68

From a Mizzou bias I feel pretty good about our chances this year even with the loss of DGB of late. We return 3 of our OL and 2 RB who saw significant min. and performed well we should be fine in those dept.. Our QB  proved he could win games in the SEC as a RSF and has worked hard to improve his accuracy it's been above 60% all spring. At wr we have to fill some holes Sasser and Hunt return as well as Copeland none of them lit it up stat wise but the guys ahead of them got most of the touches they have talent.

On def. we return our 4 rotating DT and 2 DE who played significant min. and produced check out Rays and Golden production per minutes. LB is a big concern one starter back, at DB I'm not as worried as some Gaines was out for a few games and Gibson and Penton filled in nicely,they are the starters and E. Payton a penciled in starter over Ponder until a injury also is back. We also return our Nickel  Singleton and who ever replaces White at FS will be on par or a upgrade.
The cupboard ain't bare but with that said we probably won't win 12 games either but 7-9 wins is do able.

I would not pencil Mizzou in just yet as a Win. Sure the hogs can pull a win from CoMo but it won't be a giveme.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

JansterZ71

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2014, 11:47:36 pm

Tell me, who else on your roster had even 30 receptions? Did somebody else break 400 yards, or have 5 td's? Did anybody outside of Coates have any level of production to reasonably say they will be a demonstrable threat?
My roster?  It's not my team sorry.
Auburn's roster is Coates & Duke Williams.....
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

bennyl08

JansterZ71

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 18, 2014, 10:08:04 pm
You ever hear of Insert High School player name here? Thanks for that laugh.

I usually agree with you but this guy is legit.  Will be a terror in the SEC next year.  Dominated Auburn's spring game so far. 

bennyl08

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 19, 2014, 04:16:12 pm
I usually agree with you but this guy is legit.  Will be a terror in the SEC next year.  Dominated Auburn's spring game so far.

Yeah, I also saw he is a JUCO guy, and admittedly, Auburn has made bank off their JUCO signings. However, all we have is what he did in JUCO and what he did vs auburn's defense. Keep in mind, Auburn's defense has a tendency to make offenses look better than they actually are.

Will he provide another target for their passing game? Sure. However, the original post I was responding two was claiming they have two All-SEC receivers on their roster. That is quite the claim, unless you are including all the way down to fourth team All-SEC.