Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Auctioning Head Coaching Job for Spring Game on eBay

Started by moses_007, April 12, 2014, 04:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 02:26:16 pm
Have to disagree fully. Don't think you remember a team called boise or hawaii in 2007. All teams have a chance at a national championship. That includes yes even ASU.

You aren't Boise or even Hawaii.  As long as you're in the Sun Belt you are out of the running before the race starts.  Win every game and you get to go to the New Orleans Bowl.  Who knows they might actually want you under those circumstances.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 12:22:40 pm
We're not West Virgina.  We may have more resources, donations, etc but as a state we're not that much better off.  Aside from that we're not competing with WV.  We're competing with the Alabama schools, the Mississippi schools, LSU, and aTm.  Every year most of these schools have more money and all of them have a better recruiting base.  We need every bit of what we have.

As I said in an earlier post:  I'm for Arkansas playing in state schools on a round robin basis (asu, uapb, uca, etc).  I think it would be interesting for the smaller schools.  But I'm not a financial advisor for the athletic department and like it or not this is all about money.  I can understand why the Athletic Department doesn't want to split up potential donation money (while looking far into the future).  I can certainly understand why they wouldn't want to give exposure and relevance to one team while paying them for the privilege.

Again the hubris of ASU fans thinking they should be the school that gets the rival status is what always turns me against them.  ASU, Tech, UCA, UAPB.  They're all the same to me.
I understand where you are coming from. But my thing is nobody in the SEC or anyone has that mindset of "we can't give this team exposure and relevance while paying them". First and foremost, how does a smaller team gain relevance playing another bigger school? Has monroe became relevant since they have played LSU? or MTSU when they play Tenn? etc etc. That makes no sense. but like you said, its all about money. Nail on the head. Just hate they focus on that more than actual success on the field.

as far as the rival thing, imo, i don't think it has to be like bama/aub or just full blown. It doesn't even have to be played every year. It can either be like WVU/Marshall, or Tennessee/Memphis. Being the only two FBS schools in the state, you gotta understand for sports fans naturally, they will want to see that game happen like everywhere else. Could it be a rivalry? a moderate/low key rivalry game (like OU/Tulsa) simply because they are the only FBS teams in the state. it can be slightly one-sided and still be a small rivalry.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 02:36:49 pm
You aren't Boise or even Hawaii.  As long as you're in the Sun Belt you are out of the running before the race starts.  Win every game and you get to go to the New Orleans Bowl.  Who knows they might actually want you under those circumstances.
those were just examples from the small conferences they were in, full of teams where in your words, they play "unimportant football". to make my point stronger, hawaii had the worst SOS and started unranked and still got as far as #5.

As far as the rest of your post, its slightly devoid of college football IQ. If ASU went undefeated last season beating both Aub and Mizzou as well as they did, ASU would have likely set themselves in position to be in a BCS bowl. If it was a year like 2007, they would have been close to playing themselves into a national title nearly.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 02:36:49 pm
Actually, ASU's goal is to be the best G5 team in the country, and that has a better chance of happening in the SBC, CUSA or MAC than in the MWC or AAC. Initially the best team will probably come from those later two but sooner rather than later, that school will emerge from one of the other G5 conferences. ASU is certainly a candidate.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 17, 2014, 03:59:27 pm
Actually, ASU's goal is to be the best G5 team in the country, and that has a better chance of happening in the SBC, CUSA or MAC than in the MWC or AAC. Initially the best team will probably come from those later two but sooner rather than later, that school will emerge from one of the other G5 conferences. ASU is certainly a candidate.

With the fresh meat in the sun belt this year, ASU definitely could.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 04:15:55 pm
With the fresh meat in the sun belt this year, ASU definitely could.
Need some depth at DT, but at some point should again be hard for most G5 teams to beat.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 17, 2014, 04:25:28 pm
Need some depth at DT, but at some point should again be hard for most G5 teams to beat.
It helps that louisville and rutgers are leaving the AAC as well.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 04:48:06 pm
It helps that louisville and rutgers are leaving the AAC as well.
There is no G5 team in college football that ASU cannot beat right now, and that is unbelievable when you consider all the coaching changes.

Unfortunately it will probably  take them a few game to adjust to their new coaches, but  this should be the last year for that for a while. They are very talented, and have again put together another outstanding coaching staff.

Seminole Indian

April 18, 2014, 08:51:32 pm #108 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:00:13 am by Seminole Indian
I dropped by their scrimmage tonight for the 1st half.

In addition to the young man that won the bid, someone paid for Larry Lacewell to coach the other team.

Very nice crowed, and great atmosphere for a spring game. Interest in ASU football is obviously at a level no one would have dreamed of 5-6 years ago.

Team is very athletic, on both sides of the ball, has outstanding team speed, is well coached, and is very, very aggressive.

Courtesy of Freeze, Malzahn, Harsin and Trooper Taylor (whose son is already on campus) best group of skill players, on both sides of the ball, ever at ASU.

Bottom lined, the first public display of the Anderson era was a home run, and the buzz from this game will pay great dividends for ASU not only throughout the community, but in recruiting because of the large number of recruits who attended the game.

Got_da_captain

Quote from: thebignasty on April 16, 2014, 10:52:32 am
12k gets you what at ua? Decent season tickets?
No because if you wait a few games most fans give UA tickers away. Nobody wants to watch a losing team!

ricepig

Quote from: Got_da_captain on April 21, 2014, 11:41:23 pm
No because if you wait a few games most fans give UA tickers away. Nobody wants to watch a losing team!

Surely you don't wish to discuss attendance do you?