Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Auctioning Head Coaching Job for Spring Game on eBay

Started by moses_007, April 12, 2014, 04:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 16, 2014, 01:19:52 pm
I have no idea who John Barnhill is.

All I know about Broyles is he is the former Arkansas AD that initiated "the policy."
Pretty sure the  policy was in place when Frank arrived on the hill.

Don't think the policy is an issue with anyone today because neither schools needs the other to be successful.

When ASU completes the current upgrades to their facilities, it will allow them to continue the impressive gains they have already made in recruiting player and coaching talent.

ASU is well positioned to  accomplish the goals the school has for their program.

The Razorbacks already have top of the line facilities, and while it may not be as evident because they play in the SEC, they sign one of the better classes in the FBS, every year.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

The Boar War

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 16, 2014, 07:54:20 am
Nobody is demanding a game with UA. I hope we never play. I kind of like the idea that somebody is so threatened by use they actually have a "policy" in place to avoid playing us at all costs.

There you go again with the "threatened by us" logic.  We don't play any schools in state.  Why do ASU fans believe that this means we're afraid of playing them?  Does it also mean we're afraid of UA Monticello?  Like it or not you're all playing on the same level where a close game with you is an embarrassment to teams that play meaningful football.

And to think I've always been told that ASU had an inferiority complex....

Sweet Feet

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 16, 2014, 01:07:49 pm
Traditionally insecure . . . I buy that.
Try to give them a break. The policy was instituted not long after UAM (then Arkansas A&M) beat Arkansas in football. Startled barnhill and the program so bad that they wont even accredit UAM for the win for that year in their record books. Got them as "monticello navy" for that year when lafayette, and miami-ohio has them as "Arkansas A&M" for that same exact year respectively. But its very funny that next exact year when they did beat them, they were arkansas a&m. Sneaky. That and UCA's dominance over arkansas in baseball is why that policy was put in place. Its an insecure and scary tradition but hey theyl learn one day real champions dont back down from anyone.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: The Boar War on April 16, 2014, 02:34:13 pm
There you go again with the "threatened by us" logic.  We don't play any schools in state.  Why do ASU fans believe that this means we're afraid of playing them?  Does it also mean we're afraid of UA Monticello?  Like it or not you're all playing on the same level where a close game with you is an embarrassment to teams that play meaningful football.

And to think I've always been told that ASU had an inferiority complex....
So playing a close game with ASU who had more sun belt titles and bowl appearances at the time is more embarrassing than losing as an #8 team to a sun belt team who has never won the SBC and the oldest fbs team to not make a bowl game at the time?

How about the close game to FCS samford? Or the games in 2008 where it took a late 4th qtr score to beat FCS western illinois and monroe?

Thats not embarrassing???

The Boar War

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 16, 2014, 02:43:49 pm
So playing a close game with ASU who had more sun belt titles and bowl appearances at the time is more embarrassing than losing as an #8 team to a sun belt team who has never won the SBC and the oldest fbs team to not make a bowl game at the time?

How about the close game to FCS samford? Or the games in 2008 where it took a late 4th qtr score to beat FCS western illinois and monroe?

Thats not embarrassing???

Who said it would be more embarrassing?  It would be embarrassing to lose to ASU just as it was embarrassing when we made national news by losing to a similar team.  Many fans were embarrassed/ shocked when we played a close game with Western Illinois.  You were a member here when we struggled with Samford.  You know what it was like.

thebignasty

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 16, 2014, 11:01:07 am
I never had to pay to go to any Razorback athletic, not even the Cotton Bowl. Enjoyed all of them except, for a game in Fayetteville against SMU where I almost froze.

I've never been to any Asu 'events.'  I have no interest.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: The Boar War on April 16, 2014, 03:10:32 pm
Who said it would be more embarrassing?  It would be embarrassing to lose to ASU just as it was embarrassing when we made national news by losing to a similar team.  Many fans were embarrassed/ shocked when we played a close game with Western Illinois.  You were a member here when we struggled with Samford.  You know what it was like.
True true. So in your opinion, does arkansas not play asu because of potential embarrasment??

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 16, 2014, 04:01:12 pm

True true. So in your opinion, does arkansas not play asu because of potential embarrasment??

no.  they don't play b/c of limited resources ($, players, bodies in seat) in state.

why even give the other a chance to share when you don't have to?

The Boar War

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 16, 2014, 04:01:12 pm

Of course you race to that.  ASU fans tend to have blinders on when it comes to this topic.  We don't play because it makes no financial sense to play any of the instate schools (again this is not an ASU "policy")  What are a few good reasons why Arkansas should play A State, UAPB, UCA, etc?

Seminole Indian

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

Quote from: thebignasty on April 16, 2014, 03:37:39 pm
I've never been to any Asu 'events.'  I have no interest.
I understand, I get a free ride to any ASU, UofA ,Memphis and hopefully Texas game in any sport but simply don't care don't go.

Going to games does not interest me at all, knowing the probable outcome of those games in advance does interest me, big-time.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 16, 2014, 02:35:02 pm
Try to give them a break. The policy was instituted not long after UAM (then Arkansas A&M) beat Arkansas in football. Startled barnhill and the program so bad that they wont even accredit UAM for the win for that year in their record books. Got them as "monticello navy" for that year when lafayette, and miami-ohio has them as "Arkansas A&M" for that same exact year respectively. But its very funny that next exact year when they did beat them, they were arkansas a&m. Sneaky. That and UCA's dominance over arkansas in baseball is why that policy was put in place. Its an insecure and scary tradition but hey theyl learn one day real champions dont back down from anyone.
Well it worked, at lest until they joined the SEC. Reality is a what?

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 16, 2014, 04:49:21 pm
I understand, I get a free ride to any ASU, UofA ,Memphis and hopefully Texas game in any sport but simply don't care don't go.

Going to games does not interest me at all, knowing the probable outcome of those games in advance does interest me, big-time.

Sure you do.....

Seminole Indian

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 16, 2014, 07:32:59 pm
I sure do, and I'm good at it.

Kind of like you're not an ASU fan, oops, you posted you were, busted!

KaysFieldTouchdown

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 16, 2014, 01:24:25 pm
way to rep the gorilla redwolf indians, btw.  talking crap about something you know absolutely nothing about.

keep hanging your feather on that WBB NIT win from a decade ago.

Yeah, you're confused. An extensive knowledge of Razorback athletics is not required to rep AState.

Hanging my feather... I've hung my hat and I might stick a feather in my cap but I've never hung a feather.

Dropkick

ASU, when it's all said and done you're still ASU, sorry.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 16, 2014, 10:38:15 pm
Yeah, you're confused. An extensive knowledge of Razorback athletics is not required to rep AState.

Hanging my feather... I've hung my hat and I might stick a feather in my cap but I've never hung a feather.

you suck at this.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Dropkick on April 16, 2014, 10:47:54 pm
That is a fact, they are.

Off topic again, I know that ASU finished as the top FBS football team In Arkansas, and I noticed they are rated the top baseball team in the state also, at # 47:

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2014/rpi

They are also a young team I think.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 17, 2014, 05:49:17 am
That is a fact, they are.

Off topic again, I know that ASU finished as the top FBS football team In Arkansas, and I noticed they are rated the top baseball team in the state also, at # 47:

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2014/rpi

They are also a young team I think.

Yet, they are no where to be found in anyone's field of 64, while another team is?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2014, 09:57:26 am
Yet, they are no where to be found in anyone's field of 64, while another team is?

Actually was trying to see how the two schools women's basketball teams compared this year when I got this. Don't ask me how, but it was surprising.

Seminole Indian

Seminole Indian

and men's basketball:

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

and football:

http://www.realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_power_rankings.html

I was checking out a comment by an ASU fan that in almost every sport ASU is as good are better than many of the teams in the power conferences including the SEC, which is surprising based on what they spend for athletics.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: The Boar War on April 16, 2014, 04:33:34 pm
Of course you race to that.  ASU fans tend to have blinders on when it comes to this topic.  We don't play because it makes no financial sense to play any of the instate schools (again this is not an ASU "policy")  What are a few good reasons why Arkansas should play A State, UAPB, UCA, etc?
The same reasons you play missouri state, troy, nicholls state (whose in UCA conf) and uab. Yet its no talk about its financially bad when you donate thousands to them

Sweet Feet

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 16, 2014, 04:07:11 pm
no.  they don't play b/c of limited resources ($, players, bodies in seat) in state.

why even give the other a chance to share when you don't have to?
West virginia has a smaller income and population than arkansas as a state. Didn see that affect WVU when they played marshall every year and was still winning BCS games.

I guess it depends on how confident and estabilished the program is i guess.

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 11:04:57 am
The same reasons you play missouri state, troy, nicholls state (whose in UCA conf) and uab. Yet its no talk about its financially bad when you donate thousands to them

So, you know for a fact that ASU would come to Fay for the same amount Nicholls State is? You've had this discussion with the AD and will provide it?

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Dropkick on April 16, 2014, 10:47:54 pm
The same ASU that the flagship of the state sees as a threat. Not bad

The Boar War

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 11:04:57 am

Different states, different resources, different potential donations....

Playing instate schools (in our case) is a checkers move.  We're playing chess.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2014, 11:08:07 am
So, you know for a fact that ASU would come to Fay for the same amount Nicholls State is? You've had this discussion with the AD and will provide it?
They have with other schools such as illinois and mizzou where they get payed as much as monroe or any mid major would playing arkansas. They usually get the "big" money from the more traditional powers like nebraska and auburn.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 11:11:19 am

Yes, and it may be checkmate.

That is not the case with ASU in the SBC.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 11:11:19 am

arkansas has more resources and definitely more donations than west virginia lol we talking about walmart and tyson in the area lol. I still can't understand how playing an instate team is such a bad thing lol. Arkansas should be established enough as a program to play and even lose to ASU and still get the donations and recruits. Its been empirically proven time and time that no harsh implications come from playing teams within state borders.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 11:07:48 am
West virginia has a smaller income and population than arkansas as a state. Didn see that affect WVU when they played marshall every year and was still winning BCS games.

I guess it depends on how confident and estabilished the program is i guess.

they're willing to share.  it's sweet.

Sweet Feet

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 11:39:34 am
And still have a 3-0 Bcs record. Proves my point

point being "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 11:09:25 am
The same ASU that the flagship of the state sees as a threat. Not bad

Threat, no, not worth the trouble. It's funny, all you ASU posters come on here and tell us you don't need the game, yet, you are on here all the time clamoring for the game. I'd just as soon play you and beat you, but I don't get to make the decisions.

kingofdequeen

Sweet Feet

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 17, 2014, 11:41:02 am
point being "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".
That made no sense lol but its ok i know that point is hard to refute

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2014, 11:41:14 am
Threat, no, not worth the trouble. It's funny, all you ASU posters come on here and tell us you don't need the game, yet, you are on here all the time clamoring for the game. I'd just as soon play you and beat you, but I don't get to make the decisions.
Sorta like how hog fans say that asu isnt a threat or irrelevant but will give millions of bogus reasons why they think a game with them will just ruin them? Or how they talk about the avoidance of "building" up ASU but built monroe up with billions of dollars? Or how its nothing to gain playing asu, but waste money on rent a wins in the same conf or in fcs? Thats hilarious. Just, on the sly, saying ASU is like i said, a threat

Dropkick

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 11:53:29 am
Sorta like how hog fans say that asu isnt a threat or irrelevant but will give millions of bogus reasons why they think a game with them will just ruin them? Or how they talk about the avoidance of "building" up ASU but built monroe up with billions of dollars? Or how its nothing to gain playing asu, but waste money on rent a wins in the same conf or in fcs? Thats hilarious. Just, on the sly, saying ASU is like i said, a threat
Just curious, why do you crave the game so much?

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Dropkick on April 17, 2014, 11:57:26 am
Just curious, why do you crave the game so much?
I love games where teams are in the same city/state on the highest level. Familiarity, more fans know each other, the trash talk lol. Its fun. Been that way my whole life. Its just sucked that the only team that didn do it was the team in my very own homestate.  I love that in sports. Its also part of the competitve nature in me. I dont care if arkansas is better. I dnt even care about the score. I just want to see the game between our two schools in the highest level of college football.
Thats just the sports fan in me lol.

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 11:53:29 am

Billions/Million? Maybe a little too much hyperbole? Waste money, we pay less than we would pay ASU. Should we cry when teams charge LSU, Bama, or Auburn less than us? The only threat is perceived in that little coven of people you call fans.

Seminole Indian

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2014, 12:07:39 pm
Billions/Million? Maybe a little too much hyperbole? Waste money, we pay less than we would pay ASU. Should we cry when teams charge LSU, Bama, or Auburn less than us? The only threat is perceived in that little coven of people you call fans.
They have played monroe 10 times in nearly 15 years. Yes thats in the billions total almost. How do you even know ASU would demand such money? They have gotten the same amount of money playing different bcs schools as the other mid majors arkansas plays. And no, the threat is perceive indirectly among hog fans as well. Just becaus they don't want/know how to say that asu is a threat, doesnt mean that they don't see them as one. Asu could charge less than anybody to play arkansas and the hogs still wouldn play, and you know it.

The Boar War

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 17, 2014, 11:20:21 am
arkansas has more resources and definitely more donations than west virginia lol we talking about walmart and tyson in the area lol. I still can't understand how playing an instate team is such a bad thing lol. Arkansas should be established enough as a program to play and even lose to ASU and still get the donations and recruits. Its been empirically proven time and time that no harsh implications come from playing teams within state borders.

We're not West Virgina.  We may have more resources, donations, etc but as a state we're not that much better off.  Aside from that we're not competing with WV.  We're competing with the Alabama schools, the Mississippi schools, LSU, and aTm.  Every year most of these schools have more money and all of them have a better recruiting base.  We need every bit of what we have.

As I said in an earlier post:  I'm for Arkansas playing in state schools on a round robin basis (asu, uapb, uca, etc).  I think it would be interesting for the smaller schools.  But I'm not a financial advisor for the athletic department and like it or not this is all about money.  I can understand why the Athletic Department doesn't want to split up potential donation money (while looking far into the future).  I can certainly understand why they wouldn't want to give exposure and relevance to one team while paying them for the privilege.

Again the hubris of ASU fans thinking they should be the school that gets the rival status is what always turns me against them.  ASU, Tech, UCA, UAPB.  They're all the same to me.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 16, 2014, 10:59:00 pm
you suck at this.

With witty comments like "you suck," the bar has been set pretty low.

Yeah, I don't use profanity, or cross the line of decency even though I don't know you and you don't know me. You win. lol

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 12:22:40 pm
Again the hubris of ASU fans thinking they should be the school that gets the rival status is what always turns me against them.  ASU, Tech, UCA, UAPB.  They're all the same to me.

Well we have a FBS football program. The others you mentioned are FCS or DII.

If you don't know the difference. I mean, what more is there to say?

Again, please do not play us. Y'all already have lots of heated rivalries anyway, right?

The Boar War

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 17, 2014, 01:17:13 pm
Well we have a FBS football program. The others you mentioned are FCS or DII.

If you don't know the difference. I mean, what more is there to say?

Again, please do not play us. Y'all already have lots of heated rivalries anyway, right?

Granted you play on different levels.  But at the beginning of the year none of you have a chance at a national championship.  That puts you with them on the level of schools which play unimportant football (at least in the grand scheme of things).

Kicking Wing

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 01:22:53 pm
Granted you play on different levels.  But at the beginning of the year none of you have a chance at a national championship.  That puts you with them on the level of schools which play unimportant football (at least in the grand scheme of things).
By that measure you have lumped all football programs in Arkansas together.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: The Boar War on April 17, 2014, 01:22:53 pm
Have to disagree fully. Don't think you remember a team called boise or hawaii in 2007. All teams have a chance at a national championship. That includes yes even ASU.