Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Auctioning Head Coaching Job for Spring Game on eBay

Started by moses_007, April 12, 2014, 04:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

You can be the head coach for Arkansas State's spring game, but it will cost you over $12,000, which is the current bid.  I guess A-State is really having some financial difficulties these days.......

http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/arkansas-state-auctioning-head-coaching-job-for-spring-game-on-ebay-041114

ricepig

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: moses_007 on April 12, 2014, 04:25:07 pm
You can be the head coach for Arkansas State's spring game, but it will cost you over $12,000, which is the current bid.  I guess A-State is really having some financial difficulties these days.......

http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/arkansas-state-auctioning-head-coaching-job-for-spring-game-on-ebay-041114

Yeah, obviously hard times over here. We have a whole organization dedicated to raising funds for athletics, The Red Wolf Foundation. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

ricepig

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 13, 2014, 10:17:45 pm
Yeah, obviously hard times over here. We have a whole organization dedicated to raising funds for athletics, The Red Wolf Foundation. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Wow! That's a novel idea, I wonder why other schools don't try it??

wildwolf

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 08:03:21 am
Uh, actually, they do. Coach Anderson got the idea from his last school - North Carolina State.

DeltaBoy

Cool Idea and a great opportunity for those arm chair Coachs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: wildwolf on April 14, 2014, 08:41:37 am
  Uh, actually, they do. Coach Anderson got the idea from his last school - North Carolina State.

Uh, actually I was talking about having a foundation raise money. /sarcasm

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 08:03:21 am

Sorry rice man, I should have let you know that was sarcasm. Obviously all athletic departments are involved in fundraising.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Two Socks

Quote from: moses_007 on April 12, 2014, 04:25:07 pm

I doubt it has much to do with raising money because 10,000 dollars isn't going to go very far on balancing the budget.    Probably has more to do with publicity and creating interest in the spring game.    I'm actually planning to come to Arkansas to see what the novice coach tries in the game.   Should be interesting.

kingofdequeen

moses_007

GreenwayTigerHog

Don't know what they were expecting but $11,700 has got to be disappointing.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on April 15, 2014, 07:37:25 am
Don't know what they were expecting but $11,700 has got to be disappointing.
Their HC, who pitched the idea of doing it at ASU, said they made more than they did at Southern Mississippi, or North Carolina, but they limited the bidding to their fan basses at those schools.

Said he got excited when it got above 10K, so I would say he was not disappointed.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 15, 2014, 10:33:23 am
Their HC, who pitched the idea of doing it at ASU, said they made more than they did at Southern Mississippi, or North Carolina, but they limited the bidding to their fan basses at those schools.

Said he got excited when it got above 10K, so I would say he was not disappointed.

it simply solidify's the gorillas place in sports in the state.

how much do you think the same honor would go for at UofA?  after two dogcrap seasons, no less?

Seminole Indian

April 15, 2014, 11:38:13 am #16 Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:51:29 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2014, 10:50:16 am

how much do you think the same honor would go for at UofA?  after two dogcrap seasons, no less?
I would expect a lot more. 

Still, the amount they got exceeded the head coaches expectations, and he was excited.

Listening to him, and all the coaches on the staff, it seems every aspect of the program is exceeding their expectations That is a little surprising because after talking to Freeze, Malzahn and Harsin they took the job with high expectations.

Think even ASU fans will be stunned going forward at the impact on their program of all the new additions to the football complex, so expectations are probably going to go even higher.

Like I tell ASU fans, this recent success is just the beginning and it is going to get even better...........a lot better in fact, and for a lot of real, tangible reasons. Enjoy the ride!
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Kicking Wing

So happy for you.

KaysFieldTouchdown

I'd take solidification over steady decline.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Kicking Wing on April 15, 2014, 12:57:01 pm
So happy for you.

u mad?

in fairness, i've never been a little bro before so i don't know what it feels like.   :D

you guys get upset too easy.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 15, 2014, 11:38:13 am
I would expect a lot more. 

Still, the amount they got exceeded the head coaches expectations, and he was excited.

Listening to him, and all the coaches on the staff, it seems every aspect of the program is exceeding their expectations That is a little surprising because after talking to Freeze, Malzahn and Harsin they took the job with high expectations.

Think even ASU fans will be stunned going forward at the impact on their program of all the new additions to the football complex, so expectations are probably going to go even higher.

Like I tell ASU fans, this recent success is just the beginning and it is going to get even better...........a lot better in fact, and for a lot of real, tangible reasons. Enjoy the ride!

So, you think he would have said he was disappointed if it was lower than his expectations?? Doubtful, you don't make those sort of statements. Did you tell these "fans" on their message board, or do you expect them to read it here?

Sweet Feet

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2014, 01:14:38 pm
u mad?

in fairness, i've never been a little bro before so i don't know what it feels like.   :D

When Big bro cowers from from lil bro, lil bro must feel like a badass knowing hes a threat. Jus sayin

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 15, 2014, 01:21:00 pm
When Big bro cowers from from lil bro, lil bro must feel like a badass knowing hes a threat. Jus sayin

keep tugging that shirt tail.  maybe he'll pay attention to you someday. 

Sweet Feet

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2014, 01:22:33 pm
keep tugging that shirt tail.  maybe he'll pay attention to you someday.
Haha not tugging the shirt, just pointing how much of a [CENSORED] big bro is compared to other big bros

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2014, 01:16:04 pm
So, you think he would have said he was disappointed if it was lower than his expectations?? Doubtful, you don't make those sort of statements. Did you tell these "fans" on their message board, or do you expect them to read it here?
I expect the people that are reading and posting here to read it here.

Their AD said  the HC pitched the idea to him based on the fact that they made 4-5 thousand at the other two schools, and hope to get close to that.

Of course he was going to do it the same way they had done at those places, but the ASU AD told him they were going to put in on EBay, and would beat that.

The HC was concerned that they would not get a bid, but the AD said he had one bid lined up before giving the go ahead.

The fact the highest bidder was a young silicone valley CEO, and the pub they got, shows that was a good idea by the AD.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2014, 01:53:06 pm
Sort of like you think you are providing a community service? I would think you would want to tailor your messages to ASU's audience on their board?

Do you post these "thoughts" of yours on other boards, or are we the only ones punished with these?
Whatever.

I'm pretty sure that not all of the 'we', that read or post here are like you. You may wish they were but they are not.

If this is not the place for these type post, why are you the first one to suggest they get moved here.

Dropkick

Congrats to ASU, that 12K won't even buy a long snapper at Auburn!

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 15, 2014, 02:13:42 pm
Whatever.

I'm pretty sure that not all of the 'we', that read or post here are like you. You may wish they were but they are not.

If this is not the place for these type post, why are you the first one to suggest they get moved here.

Why would it bother you so, since you're not a "fan" of any team? And, you didn't answer the question if you posted these "tidbits" on other boards, or just troll on here?

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 15, 2014, 02:37:55 pm
I'm not bothered, I posted what I knew about the subject being discussed, and that seems to have bothered you.

If you think I'm a Troll, report me to the Administrators.

Still can't answer the question?

Seminole Indian

The 12K will not make a dent in the covering cost new press box at ASU either. Looks like it is going from 5K sq feet to 45k sq feet.

http://www.arkansasbids.com/bid-opportunities/2014/02/20/5443601-Football-Stadium-Press-Box-Renovation--Expansion.html

The Boar War

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 15, 2014, 01:21:00 pm

I wouldn't mind playing a different in state school every year (similar to LSU's schedule).  Unfortunately ASU wants to play every year and still demand a pay out comparable with their rent-a-win status.  I see no problem with keeping money in state.  I'm just not sure why ASU believes they have a greater claim to the handout (and rival status) than say, UAPB.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Boar War on April 15, 2014, 03:24:52 pm
I wouldn't mind playing a different in state school every year (similar to LSU's schedule).  Unfortunately ASU wants to play every year and still demand a pay out comparable with their rent-a-win status.  I see no problem with keeping money in state.  I'm just not sure why ASU believes they have a greater claim to the handout (and rival status) than say, UAPB.
I think the first in-state school the Razorbacks should play is UCA.

No doubt that it would benefit ASU to stop playing the top 10 types( it would also benefit Arkansas if they did not have to play these teams), and play regional schools like Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State  or Tennessee (on this year, but not a top 10 program right now), but I don't expect that to happen.

They would have a much better chance of beating these schools, and still get a nice pay check.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2014, 01:14:38 pm
u mad?

Not upset at all.  It is just odd to see some of you guys trying to convince yourselves.  Honestly, with all the great things going on at stAte right now I don't think any fan could be upset.

kingofdequeen

Kicking Wing

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2014, 04:12:56 pm
here's your spring game coach:

Still better than John L. Smith and has as many SEC titles as every one of your coaches combined.  Also has a sweet light saber, millions and great taste.

ricepig

Quote from: Kicking Wing on April 15, 2014, 04:14:38 pm
Still better than John L. Smith and has as many SEC titles as every one of your coaches combined.  Also has a sweet light saber, millions and great taste.

Yeah, he mad.

Seminole Indian

Got the link to this article off of AstateNation:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/asu-coaching-job-fetches-11700/story?id=23324779

"We raised more money here on this than we did at Southern Miss or Carolina," Anderson said on Monday afternoon, minutes after the bidding had closed.

Anderson said when the bidding went above $10,000 he was "fired up."

I would say it went better than expected

Dropkick

Good pub, yeah I remember when USM and UNC did this.......no wait.
lol at asu

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: The Boar War on April 15, 2014, 03:24:52 pm

Nobody is demanding a game with UA. I hope we never play. I kind of like the idea that somebody is so threatened by use they actually have a "policy" in place to avoid playing us at all costs.

ricepig

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 16, 2014, 07:54:20 am
Nobody is demanding a game with UA. I hope we never play. I kind of like the idea that somebody is so threatened by use they actually have a "policy" in place to avoid playing us at all costs.

The policy is for all in-state teams, don't flatter yourself.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: ricepig on April 16, 2014, 09:32:56 am

and it's not policy.  it's tradition. 

thebignasty

Seminole Indian

Quote from: thebignasty on April 16, 2014, 10:52:32 am
12k gets you what at ua? Decent season tickets?
I never had to pay to go to any Razorback athletic, not even the Cotton Bowl. Enjoyed all of them except, for a game in Fayetteville against SMU where I almost froze.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: ricepig on April 16, 2014, 09:32:56 am

Not the way it reads over here.

Perception = Reality

KaysFieldTouchdown

kingofdequeen

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 16, 2014, 01:07:49 pm
Traditionally insecure . . . I buy that.

yep.  when i think of insecurity, i think of John Barnhill and J. Frank Broyles.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 16, 2014, 01:14:57 pm
yep.  when i think of insecurity, i think of John Barnhill and J. Frank Broyles.

I have no idea who John Barnhill is.

All I know about Broyles is he is the former Arkansas AD that initiated "the policy."

kingofdequeen

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 16, 2014, 01:19:52 pm

All I know about Broyles is he is the former Arkansas AD that initiated "the policy."

you know dick, then.

kingofdequeen

way to rep the gorilla redwolf indians, btw.  talking crap about something you know absolutely nothing about.

keep hanging your feather on that WBB NIT win from a decade ago.

ricepig

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on April 16, 2014, 01:19:52 pm

You might need to read up a little more, your perception of the policy hasn't found the truth yet.