Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrimmage News and Notes

Started by ricepig, April 12, 2014, 02:21:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

April 12, 2014, 02:21:18 pm Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:02:30 pm by Tom Bennett
A Allen #2 QB, with Rafe at #3. Mitchell is in a two week trial period at WR to see how he likes it. They offered him WR, RB, CB, or S, to try. If he doesn't like the move, they will help him find another school if he wants, but really want him to stay.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2014, 02:21:18 pm
A Allen #2 QB, with Rafe at #3. Mitchell is in a two week trial period at WR to see how he likes it. They offered him WR, RB, CB, or S, to try. If he doesn't like the move, they will help him find another school if he wants, but really want him to stay.
Pretty much what Bielema said about 20 minutes ago. Also Peavey made a move on A Allen who is #2 right now based on more experience.

Mike Irwin

According to Bielema Derby didn't want to move either. But he didn't drop a pass on Thursday and today, even though he dropped a wide open bomb from BA, he later came back and caught a TD pass from BA. Now, Bielema said, Derby is extremely happy he moved.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ZERO on April 12, 2014, 02:55:13 pm
So any word yet on why he's been suspended indefinitely? I take it this is going to eventually mean kicked off the team.
Tom Murphy asked the question after the presser had ended. A few others heard  Bielema's answer. From what I was told Bielema didn't give a reason nor did he comment on if the suspension could lead to something more serious.

Mike Irwin

Mitchell was pretty impressive. He had a couple of nice catches, showed an ability to run after the catch and even lined up and ran the ball a couple of times.

Bielema said the kid is a marvelous talent but, as has already been pointed out, if they can't convince him to move from QB Mitchell will probably transfer.

They're doing their best to encourage him but as of right now he's apparently not happy with the move.

ricepig

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 12, 2014, 03:20:58 pm
Think we might actually talk about the scrimmage and Coach Bielema's comments afterward?

Thanks.

Sure, sounds like a lot of player movement. Ollison running second team due to off the field issues, Coleman to WLB, the above mentions of moved QB's, Smothers worked at center, and it appeared we didn't complete passes at an 85% rate. I believe BA was 17-25 for 157 yds with 5 TDs and 2 int.

Mike Irwin

For those that care:

B Allen 17/25, 157 YDS, 5 TDs 2 INTs
A Allen 5/10, 39 YDS, 1 TD O INT's
R Peavey 4/6 49 YDS, 0 TDs, 1 INT

kibster

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2014, 03:09:09 pm
Tom Murphy asked the question after the presser had ended. A few others heard  Bielema's answer. From what I was told Bielema didn't give a reason nor did he comment on if the suspension could lead to something more serious.

So we still don't have anyone with first hand knowledge about the Arkadie situation?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

razorback44

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2014, 03:29:21 pm
Sure, sounds like a lot of player movement. Ollison running second team due to off the field issues, Coleman to WLB, the above mentions of moved QB's, Smothers worked at center, and it appeared we didn't complete passes at an 85% rate. I believe BA was 17-25 for 157 yds with 5 TDs and 2 int.

It wasn't 85% but 68% is much more of a realistic number that we should be seeing. 
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

ricepig

More stats.
http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/robbies-hog-blog/arkansas-spring-scrimmage-stats-april-12

bennyl08

From the latest interviews, it sounded like the coaches were talking about TQ as kind of that jack/star position that we had Nelson in. Think they just said nickel, but as a guy who can also stop the run.

I also know that they worked on redzone this week in practice. What did the scrimmage entail? Was it situation like last week's scrimmage was? If so, I'm assuming the large number of td passes was due to working on the redzone in this weeks scrimmage? That would also explain the lower completion % due to the smaller space to work with.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

PASSING

Brandon Allen: 17-for-25, 157 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT

Austin Allen: 5-for-10, 39 yards, TD

Rafe Peavey: 4-for-6, 49 yards, INT

RUSHING

Jonathan Williams: 13 attempts, 30 yards, 2 TDs

Denzell Evans: 11 attempts, 41 yards

Alex Collins: 10 attempts, 47 yards

Kody Walker: 9 attempts, 43 yards, 2 TDs

Damon Mitchell: 2 attempts, 10 yards

Patrick Arinze: 2 attempts, - 1 yard

Rafe Peavey: 1 attempt, 3 yards

RECEIVING

Keon Hatcher: 5 catches, 38 yards, TD

Jared Cornelius: 4 catches, 29 yards, TD

Denzell Evans: 3 catches, 19 yards

D'Arthur Cowan: 2 catches, 38 yards

Kendrick Payne: 2 catches, 27 yards, TD

Hunter Henry: 2 catches, 25 yards

A.J. Derby: 2 catches, 22 yards, TD

Alex Voelzke: 2 catches, 11 yards

Damon Mitchell: 1 catch, 28 yards

Jonathan Williams: 1 catch, 4 yards

Jeremy Sprinkle: 1 catch, 2 yards, TD

Patrick Arinze: 1 catch, 2 yards, TD

DEFENSIVE STATS

LEADING TACKLERS: TQ Coleman 10, Martrell Spaight 10, Brooks Ellis 8, De'Andre Coley 8, Deatrich Wise 7, Darius Philon 6, Braylon Mitchell 5, Otha Peters 5, JaMichael Winston 4, Rohan Gaines 4, Tevin Mitchel 4, Taiwan Johnson 4.

TACKLES FOR LOSS: Martrell Spaight 3 (-7), TQ Coleman 2 (-13), Braylon Mitchell 2 (-9), Otha Peters 2 (-8), Darius Philon 2 (-6), Karl Roesler 2 (-6), Taiwan Johnson 2 (-5), Ke'Tyrus Marks 1 (-7), Brandon Lewis 1 (-6), Brooks Ellis 1 (-1), Daunte Carr 1 (-1).

SACKS: TQ Coleman 2 (-13), Karl Roesler 2 (-6), Otha Peters 1 (-6), Ke'Tyrus Marks 1 (-7), Braylon Mitchell 1 (-6), JaMichael Winston 1 (-6), Brandon Lewis 1 (-6), Darius Philon 1 (-3).

INTERCEPTIONS: Brooks Ellis (17-yard return), Carroll Washington (15-yard return), TQ Coleman (7-yard return)

FORCED FUMBLE: Brooks Ellis

FUMBLE RECOVERY: Carroll Washington

PASS BREAKUPS: Carroll Washington 2, Deatrich Wise, JaMichael Winston, Brandon Lewis

- See more at: http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/robbies-hog-blog/arkansas-spring-scrimmage-stats-april-12#sthash.eqfF5mdw.dpuf

Yeah, so that basically summed up my questions, lol.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

I like that Williams and Walker were able to get td's. Early in his career here, Walker almost had as many td's as he did total carries.

Also, notice that 3 of the 5 pass breakups were from D-linemen. Also recall that JJ Watt's nickname is JJ Swat, for batting down passes at the LOS. Perhaps some of that magic is working it's way onto our team.

It's looking like TQ will be hard to keep off the field. Also nice to see Washington starting looking like we knew he could from his JUCO highlights. Our secondary may not be a major asset next fall, but it could definitely earn most improved.

WilsonHog

The writing seems to be on the wall for Duwop; he's probably looking at being the fourth team quarterback after spring ball. Would he rather be a Razorback and play safety or a hybrid wide receiver/running back, or transfer somewhere he would have a brighter future behind center? His situation is complicated by having already taken his redshirt year.

From Bret's comments, Rafe is pushing Austin pretty hard to be the man backing up Brandon. I wouldn't be surprised to see him exit the spring as co-#2. Not bad for a kid who was in high school four months ago.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: kibster on April 12, 2014, 03:40:09 pm
So we still don't have anyone with first hand knowledge about the Arkadie situation?
Tom Murphy does. He asked the question. Murphy doesn't post here so you may have to do some legwork to hear it from him. Or you could assume that what other reporters heard and told me, is correct.

I was standing 20 feet away from Bielema when Murphy asked the question but my hearing is shot from all those years when I sat next to the band in Bud Walton arena.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2014, 02:46:03 pm
Pretty much what Bielema said about 20 minutes ago. Also Peavey made a move on A Allen who is #2 right now based on more experience.
I tried to tell people who wanted to throw a red-shirt on Rafe Peavey, from day one.  this kid is the real deal. he should not redshirt in my opinion. by years end Rafe could very well be the starting QB here.unless B. Allen is much improved and we are winning some games.and im not counting on that.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I wish we could shirt Rafe if he's just going to be a backup but if he's as good as his credentials, he should play and see what happens.

You play to WIN the game!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 04:48:59 pm
I tried to tell people who wanted to throw a red-shirt on Rafe Peavey, from day one.  this kid is the real deal. he should not redshirt in my opinion. by years end Rafe could very well be the starting QB here.unless B. Allen is much improved and we are winning some games.and im not counting on that.
Joe that's a real stretch. Peavey may have moved up but both he an Austin Allen looked like kids today compared to Brandon Allen who made a couple of mistakes early on but bounced back really strong. Both Austin Allen and Peavey fumbled in the red zone. It was a pair of red zone mistakes that ended the competition between Brandon Allen and Brandon Mitchell a year ago.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 12, 2014, 05:09:26 pm
I wish we could shirt Rafe if he's just going to be a backup but if he's as good as his credentials, he should play and see what happens.

You play to WIN the game!
All ia am saying is it looks like they are going to roll with B. Allen again. but what if it's just like it was last year? i hope they don't make the same mistake of sticking with him no matter how bad he plays. and if Rafe moves past A.Allen, then we should play him. i do agree that if he is not at least 2nd in line to play. no sense in wasting a year.

Mike Irwin

One thing you guys need to understand about Brandon Allen, they are throwing a lot more at him than the other QBs. Bielema said today that they're putting him into bad situations to see what he does.

Here's a direct quote from Bielema: "He has to compete against the rest of the SEC. There isn't anybody in our program right now that's at his level. We have to make him uncomfortable, really press him."

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2014, 05:10:59 pm
Joe that's a real stretch. Peavey may have moved up but both he an Austin Allen looked like kids today compared to Brandon Allen who made a couple of mistakes early on but bounced back really strong. Both Austin Allen and Peavey fumbled in the red zone. It was a pair of red zone mistakes that ended the competition between Brandon Allen and Brandon Mitchell a year ago.
And that's the way it should look Mike. Brandon Allen has been here 3 years. he should be far more advance than Rafe right now. but that does not mean he is a better player.just my opinion. but i do not think B.Allen is good  enough to keep shutting down the QB Competition in the spring. we did that last year and it was a mistake.so i ask you this Mike. what if things don't change and we get the same play from B. Allen that we got last year? then what? do we ride it out again? or do we give the other QB's a chance?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2014, 05:16:21 pm
One thing you guys need to understand about Brandon Allen, they are throwing a lot more at him than the other QBs. Bielema said today that they're putting him into bad situations to see what he does.

Here's a direct quote from Bielema: "He has to compete against the rest of the SEC. There isn't anybody in our program right now that's at his level. We have to make him uncomfortable, really press him."
I understand that Mike and that's all good. i hope it helps Brandon and he is much improved and has a great year. but we still don't know until the real games start. if it looks like last year, i hope they will not try and ride it out yet again. that's all im saying.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I hope B.Allen makes as big of a jump from his soph to jr year as Stoerner did.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 05:25:02 pm
what if things don't change and we get the same play from B. Allen that we got last year? then what? do we ride it out again? or do we give the other QB's a chance?
Based on what I'm seeing right now if Austin Allen or Rafe Peavey ends up as the starting quarterback you guys better hope the defense is 100% improved.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kibster on April 12, 2014, 03:40:09 pm

I bet Bret has first hand knowledge of his players and that's all that matters.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

forrest city joe

Quote from: Killean on April 12, 2014, 05:30:10 pm
If anybody but Brandon Allen is our starting QB this season we won't equal last year's win total.  That's how the QB situation is.  If Brandon Allen hadn't been injured last year we would have won 6.

Also, quit with the negative waves Moriarty.
I disagree. the idea that B. Allen is our only chance of winning is bull in my opinion. and if that is true. then we are in worst shape than i thought.

Hawgzinbowlz

April 12, 2014, 05:46:12 pm #26 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:18:54 pm by MorrellHog
Brandon is by far the leading QB. The effort to make him comfortable in an uncomfortable situation is what he needs for the SEC and TT. AA and RP are not close in the level they are playing at now. When the SEC defenses are coming at them (all three) with their hair on fire it will be no surprise to BA. AA and RP haven't had the pleasure of an Alabama or LSU defense layin' a stroke or double stroke with the whistles a little late. Looking out of the helmet earhole, a time or two, has a tendency to be an attitude changer. 
I would put my money on BA being an adequate SEC quarterback (with health). He threw some longer passes today that were not in his physical arsenal much of last year. From an eye test today BA and the entire offense played fairly equal (give and take) with the defense. In last weeks practice the defense seemed a little ahead and today the offense executed a little better than last week.
We all want better play from the QB position, than we saw last year, but I have yet to see a challenger to BA this spring practice.
The coach's evaluate the players every practice and I'm sure they would play AA or RP if they felt either one gave us the best chance at success.
It's not out on the field yet. Not by a long shot. Both will have success as Hogs.

" GO HOGS "

forrest city joe

Quote from: MorrellHog on April 12, 2014, 05:46:12 pm
Brandon is by far the leading QB. The effort to make him comfortable in an uncomfortable situation is what he needs for the SEC and TT. AA and RP are not close in the level they are playing at now. When the SEC defenses are coming at them (all three) with their hair on fire it will be no surprise to BA. AA and RP haven't had the pleasure of an Alabama or LSU defense layin' a stroke or double stroke with the whistles a little late. Looking out of the helmet earhole, a time or two, has a tendency to be an attitude changer. 
I would put my money on AA being an adequate SEC quarterback (with health). He threw some longer passes today that were not in his physical arsenal much of last year. From an eye test today AA and the entire offense played fairly equal (give and take) with the defense. In last weeks practice the defense seemed a little ahead and today the offense executed a little better than last week.
We all want better play from the QB position, than we saw last year, but I have yet to see a challenger to AA this spring practice.
The coach's evaluate the players every practice and I'm sure they would play AA or RP if they felt either one gave us the best chance at success.
It's not out on the field yet. Not by a long shot. Both will have success as Hogs.

" GO HOGS "
Good post. i see very little wrong with your post. but here is the problem. what if B. Allen is not much better than last year and we keep losing. then what? i say move on. do you say even if we are heading to 4 and 8, we should just ride it out again?

WilsonHog

What I took from Bret's comments today was that he slammed the door on anyone other than BA being the starting QB in the fall. If he is healthy for all 12 games next fall, I expect Brandon will take 95% of the snaps - at least.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 12, 2014, 05:57:30 pm
What I took from Bret's comments today was that he slammed the door on anyone other than BA being the starting QB in the fall. If he is healthy for all 12 games next fall, I expect Brandon will take 95% of the snaps - at least.
He did that last year too. how did that work out for him? don't make the same mistake twice.

Professor Psychosis

Thanks for the reports.  It sounds like with all the shuffling of players that the coaching staff has a better idea of what they've got this year.  I particularly like the part about Brandon Allen being put in bad situations to see what he does.

Danny J

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 05:48:22 pm
If we are going to lose anyway again with B. Allen as our QB. i just as soon lose with Rafe or A. Allen. we can not keep rolling with B. Allen if he is not any better. PERIOD.
Totally agree. I will also say that what a player does in practice does not necessarily translate to Saturdays on the field with 100k screaming fans and millions watching around the world. I have heard the same "he is looking really good in practice" stuff you have going on over a year now. I want to see it on the field. I will also concede that he did have a shoulder injury last year so that has a lot to do with it also. I just hope he can come out this year and translate his practice ability to game day ability. No matter what, unless injury again, he will for sure 100% be our starter at Auburn. As a hog fan we got to hope that transition occurs early in the season.

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 05:48:22 pm
If we are going to lose anyway again with B. Allen as our QB. i just as soon lose with Rafe or A. Allen. we can not keep rolling with B. Allen if he is not any better. PERIOD.

Best post by you I have ever seen.  When the live action starts, will tell the story on BA.  He should dominate spring ball.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on April 12, 2014, 06:04:34 pm
Best post by you I have ever seen.  When the live action starts, will tell the story on BA.  He should dominate spring ball.
Spot on^^^^^

Reminds me a lot of Brandon Davis back in the late 90's. That dude was a stud in practice but once the lights were on it was like a deer in the headlights. Some players adjust better than others. Some never adjust.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on April 12, 2014, 06:03:17 pm
Thanks for the reports.  It sounds like with all the shuffling of players that the coaching staff has a better idea of what they've got this year.  I particularly like the part about Brandon Allen being put in bad situations to see what he does.
Yes that's all good. good that the coaches have him doing those kind of things to see how he reacts. but it still does not matter until  we see how he reacts in real games. i hope he is much improved and get's the job done. but i will believe it when i see it in real games.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 05:54:31 pm
Good post. i see very little wrong with your post. but here is the problem. what if B. Allen is not much better than last year and we keep losing. then what? i say move on. do you say even if we are heading to 4 and 8, we should just ride it out again?
Sorry but I put some AA where it should have been BA. I changed it. LOL

I am not advocating BA, AA, or RP. I want to win. Period.
I am saying that what I see on the field indicates that BA will be the starter because he is improved from last year (health and maturity) and our best choice, by far. I am also saying that with the 2nd year of CBB/Chaneys system they clearly feel AJ is not one of the three deep in the QB rotation and that in itself is a step in the right direction for our future.
I also see an improvement in BA (and yes, all players CAN improve). We'll see a lot on " The Plains "
CBB and Chaney will replace BA in a heartbeat if it is clear AA or RP is a better choice.
WE all want to win and I would advocate you, FCJ, as our QB, if it would make us better.  ;)

" GO HOGS "

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on April 12, 2014, 06:04:34 pm
I like B. Allen. he is a good kid and i hope he has improved a lot and get's the job done this year. i am pulling for the young man. but this idea that we have to go with him no matter what makes no sense.i know he will be the starter. that has been made clear by coach B. what i am asking is what if it's the same as last year and he is not much better, and we are losing anyway? then what?

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 05:54:31 pm

...I'm worried he (BA) has a glass jaw and will go out in early season......we better get someone else some snaps or history could repeat itself...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 04:48:59 pm

We agree often.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 06:08:41 pm
Yes that's all good. good that the coaches have him doing those kind of things to see how he reacts. but it still does not matter until  we see how he reacts in real games. i hope he is much improved and get's the job done. but i will believe it when i see it in real games.

We'll find out early.  @Auburn will be a fine test.  I kind of like starting against a SEC team instead of a gimme.  It's not Bama D, but it's not Bob's College either.

If BA looks bad in the first couple of games, then might be time to see what the others can do, but at least we'll know earlier this year.  No 3-game warmups this year.  I wish him health so that we can truly gauge his performance on the field this year.

WilsonHog

Y'all really have a slow learning curve.

Now think about what I removed from the thread - on both sides - and act accordingly.

Ironhawg

Ok.  Apparently I missed something before this thread was cleaned.  What is the deal with Arkadie?

LZH

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 12, 2014, 06:35:18 pm
Ok.  Apparently I missed something before this thread was cleaned.  What is the deal with Arkadie?

Yeah I hadn't heard that either.

impact

BA torches the defense for 5 tds? Where was the defense?

Thanks for the reports!
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

Athog

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 12, 2014, 05:15:48 pm
All ia am saying is it looks like they are going to roll with B. Allen again. but what if it's just like it was last year? i hope they don't make the same mistake of sticking with him no matter how bad he plays. and if Rafe moves past A.Allen, then we should play him. i do agree that if he is not at least 2nd in line to play. no sense in wasting a year.

They are playing who gives them the best chance to win now!! From the look of play now Peavy is not ready. Like you said he will improve all year with experience. I trust they will only use him if they think he can help this year.

Calling All Hogs

Our biggest problem at QB last year wasn't simply that BA was not good. It was that the back up QB play was horrible. BA had to play hurt because of the huge drop off behind him. It sounds like that problem has mostly been fixed. 

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: CallMeHog on April 12, 2014, 06:51:51 pm
Our biggest problem at QB last year wasn't simply that BA was not good. It was that the back up QB play was horrible. BA had to play hurt because of the huge drop off behind him. It sounds like that problem has mostly been fixed.
So glad it will be A. Allen or Peavey at backup QB.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 12, 2014, 06:38:47 pm
Yeah I hadn't heard that either.

Just saw a tweet from Tom Murphy that Coach Bielema  had suspended him indefinitely, then it went down hill.

forrest city joe

We all hope Brandon plays better and the Hogs win.and the coaches will play who they think gives them the best chance to win. all im saying is i hope they don't dig in and stick with it if it's clear it's not working. i don't ever want to see the kind  of team that i have seen the last 2 years at Arkansas.

PowderedPig

TQ Coleman at LB... How's that working out so far, for those that have seen him in person?