Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 36 Thread: #24 Arkansas (21-14, 6-7 SEC) vs. #8 LSU (26-8-1, 7-5-1 SEC)

Started by ucahogfan, April 12, 2014, 09:07:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

TEAM         1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      R   H   E
Arkansas    0   0   0   0   2   1   1   0   0       4   8   3
LSU            0   2   0   2   0   0   0   0   1      5   8   3

LOB
Arkansas - 10
LSU - 5

W - Broussard (1-0)
L - Gunn (0-1)

Kenny Dowell Loggains

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Scott7703

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Flatline

This team does not have the "it" factor.  They have the talent just can't seem to put it together. Very frustrating. 

Kevin

Seen that so many times

Our lead off gets on we don't score, come right out walks theirs game over.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

LSU took the series in very disappointing fashion for the Arkansas team who fought back to tie the game, but just couldn't break through to pull ahead.  Really tough situation for Gunn to give up his first ER of the season.

The offense had yet another solid performance today, but the defense let us down at crucial points.  Beeks had yet another fantastic start and gave us a very rested pen entering Sunday while LSU's pen has to be taxed and they have yet to announce a starter.  Overall, we have to win tomorrow.  Can't leave Baton Rouge without a win.

Liked how we put pressure on the LSU defense today running pretty much at will and hopefully that continues for the rest of the year.

Knot2brite

Outside of pitching ....this just isn't a good team right now. We are so inconsistent at the plate and we can play outstanding defense one play and look like Ned and the first reader on the next play.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dr. Starcs

Don't really understand some of the moves today.

Why bring in gunn for the 9th?  Not saying Beeks should have stayed in, but if we did take the lead in extra innings, we would have needed gunn for the potential save opportunity. Unless of course dvh was gonna let him throw multiple innings.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Knot2brite on April 12, 2014, 02:48:20 pm
Outside of pitching ....this just isn't a good team right now. We are so inconsistent at the plate and we can play outstanding defense one play and look like Ned and the first reader on the next play.
This offense has put together 5 solid outings in a row.  We scored 2 runs of Nola who had allowed 3 runs all year entering last night and we put up 4 runs today on a very good LSU staff.

Both Killian and Beeks have thrown well and have given up a couple of unearned runs this weekend, but our offense played well enough against a great pitching staff to pull out a series win.  LSU has just played a little better than we have.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 12, 2014, 02:50:27 pm
Don't really understand some of the moves today.

Why bring in gunn for the 9th?  Not saying Beeks should have stayed in, but if we did take the lead in extra innings, we would have needed gunn for the potential save opportunity. Unless of course dvh was gonna let him throw multiple innings.
Gunn is the type of player who can throw multiple innings and had yet to allow an ER.  He was the best option to go to out of the pen in a tied game.

Kevin

I think the last few sec games show you, Dvh has no faith in anyone in the pen except gunn
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

hogman64

We just played  probably our best game of the year , from a showing some fight and spirit  standpoint, and Van Horn may have coached his best game of the year.......I will take that ........do the same again tomorrow and we will not be swept.....

Knot2brite

But the fact is that they have played better and we have lost. I didn't say they were competitive. They just aren't very good

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

We played well enough to win both games this weekend except for the errors.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 12, 2014, 02:51:23 pm
This offense has put together 5 solid outings in a row.  We scored 2 runs of Nola who had allowed 3 runs all year entering last night and we put up 4 runs today on a very good LSU staff.

Both Killian and Beeks have thrown well and have given up a couple of unearned runs this weekend, but our offense played well enough against a great pitching staff to pull out a series win.  LSU has just played a little better than we have.

Yep, offense wasn't the problem in these two losses. I bet if you asked someone if they'd take 3 runs off of Nola and 4 runs the next day, they'd say sure. We made too many errors and let walks, hbp, and a few hits costs us. I hope we can squeeze out enough wins to make the tournament, we aren't an easy out.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Knot2brite on April 12, 2014, 02:53:11 pm
But the fact is that they have played better and we have lost. I didn't say they were competitive. They just aren't very good
So going toe to toe with a top 10 team on their field which is one of the toughest environments in college baseball means our team isn't very good?

Guess the meaning of a very good team has changed.  Heck, a month ago, this team would have been shut out in game 1 and scored 1 or 2 runs in game 2 and looked generally noncompetitive.  This team is improving with each and every game and will be very dangerous come tourney time.

Kevin

3-0 on benintendi, hit & run. Aggressiveness got you tied.

Plus, big k by Anderson with spoon on third with one out

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 12, 2014, 02:58:17 pm
So going toe to toe with a top 10 team on their field which is one of the toughest environments in college baseball means our team isn't very good?

Guess the meaning of a very good team has changed.  Heck, a month ago, this team would have been shut out in game 1 and scored 1 or 2 runs in game 2 and looked generally noncompetitive.  This team is improving with each and every game and will be very dangerous come tourney time.

Got to make tournament to be dangerous. Really going to have to beat up on the auburn, mizzou, and a&m

Dr. Starcs

That makes sense on gunn then if he would have kept pitching. Thanks for the clarification.

Just seems these past couple of years we have always been a play or two away from winning a bunch of these games. Just gotta hope they get it figured out and start playing their best by postseason.

We have become spoiled as baseball fans with the success of our teams over the past several years. I was telling my dad today it sure is nice to have a program that you know is at least gonna be involved in postseason games year in and year out. This team will be a tough out regardless of who they play.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 12, 2014, 02:59:38 pm
3-0 on benintendi, hit & run. Aggressiveness got you tied.

Plus, big k by Anderson with spoon on third with one out
Agree that we should have hit and run with Benintendi.  He makes solid contact and is very good going up the middle and oppo.

Anderson chased a bad pitch, but it was up in the zone so he could have elevated it into the OF for a sac fly.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 12, 2014, 03:00:58 pm
Got to make tournament to be dangerous. Really going to have to beat up on the auburn, mizzou, and a&m
Need to win tomorrow, but our back half of SEC play isn't as daunting as the front half with 3 home series and a very winnable road series in Columbia.  Plus, our midweek games aren't as tough as they have been.

Knot2brite

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 12, 2014, 02:58:17 pm

It has changed because instead of expecting more we have become willing to accept less. Good teams find a way to win these games. At least one of the two. We can make the excuses of top teams am tough environment but let's get down to the nut cutting...we lost two games that we could have win. We can pat ourselves on the back and talk about how we almost won but didn't. That doesn't being home the hardware. There is nothing wrong with having a mediocre team from time to time but there is something wrong with not seein it and thinking it is something more than it is in reality. There are good players on this team. There are kids that will be better with experience on this team. This team is too inconsistent at this time. It doesn't have to stay that way. I can't change it, you can't change it....THEY have to change it. All we can do is expect more and hope that someone changes it.

bulldog04

It seems like we have to work so hard to get a run.  A lot of times we need help from the other team.  But we are getting better at the plate.  I hope we can keep it up and I hope McAfee comes back.  A .280 hitter in the lineup would be huge.  That would also put Bernal at 3rd to shore up the D.

prisonhog

Quote from: Knot2brite on April 12, 2014, 03:14:15 pm
It has changed because instead of expecting more we have become willing to accept less. Good teams find a way to win these games. At least one of the two. We can make the excuses of top teams am tough environment but let's get down to the nut cutting...we lost two games that we could have win. We can pat ourselves on the back and talk about how we almost won but didn't. That doesn't being home the hardware. There is nothing wrong with having a mediocre team from time to time but there is something wrong with not seein it and thinking it is something more than it is in reality. There are good players on this team. There are kids that will be better with experience on this team. This team is too inconsistent at this time. It doesn't have to stay that way. I can't change it, you can't change it....THEY have to change it. All we can do is expect more and hope that someone changes it.

0-9 with RISP. That is not the mark of a good team. Beyond the starting pitching and until today Gunn, the pitching is not great. There will be no NCAA T for this team even with lesser teams on the back end.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

ricepig

Quote from: prisonhog on April 12, 2014, 03:20:34 pm
0-9 with RISP. That is not the mark of a good team. Beyond the starting pitching and until today Gunn, the pitching is not great. There will be no NCAA T for this team even with lesser teams on the back end.

Phillips 1 hit the #17 team earlier in the week through 6 or 7 I believe.

prisonhog

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2014, 03:24:03 pm
Phillips 1 hit the #17 team earlier in the week through 6 or 7 I believe.

Phillips started..the quote stated "beyond the starting pitching." I will wait and see if Phillips see action in another weekend series.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

ucahogfan

Quote from: prisonhog on April 12, 2014, 03:20:34 pm
What about Stone and Jackson?  Both have been great this year including SEC play.  We just haven't needed them the last couple of weeks.

And there will be a NCAA Tournament for this team.  They have gotten a whole lot better as the season goes along and I don't think have reached their peak yet.  If we win tomorrow, we will be 4-4 in our last 8 games which were all against top 20 opponent which is really solid.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kennymayne

Good lord at some of the vultures in here. No one was in here saying we weren't a very good team last week. Going toe to toe with the number 8 team in the nation at their place which just so happens to be the toughest venue in college baseball doesn't take away anything from this team. That tells me they are a pretty good team and i've seen a lot of improvement over the season. No reason to think it can't continue.

ricepig

Quote from: kennymayne on April 12, 2014, 06:24:34 pm
Good lord at some of the vultures in here. No one was in here saying we weren't a very good team last week. Going toe to toe with the number 8 team in the nation at their place which just so happens to be the toughest venue in college baseball doesn't take away anything from this team. That tells me they are a pretty good team and i've seen a lot of improvement over the season. No reason to think it can't continue.

Disappointed we lost, we're close to being real good, we just need to follow up back to back series. LSU gave us several opportunities to get back in this game and we did, just couldn't take advantage enough to get the lead. FWIW, it didn't appear last night, or today that it was a tough place to win, not any different than MSU, USCe, or Baum.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2014, 06:31:08 pm
Disappointed we lost, we're close to being real good, we just need to follow up back to back series. LSU gave us several opportunities to get back in this game and we did, just couldn't take advantage enough to get the lead. FWIW, it didn't appear last night, or today that it was a tough place to win, not any different than MSU, USCe, or Baum.
You just named 3 of the best home field advantages in college baseball.  Those 4 and Ole Miss are typically the top 5 in attendance every year and are some of the toughest places to play.  Arkansas has to go on the road to three of those places this year and we have improved a lot even just in two weeks from Dudy Noble to Alex Box.

jry04

Geez. Not a good pitching staff, and no way we make the NCAAT this team?

We are 6-8 in the SEC after 14 games vs the #5, #10, #15, #16, and #17 teams in the country according to Baseball America. Throw in the fact that after tomorrow we will have played 11 of our last 13 games against top 25 teams, 8 straight. The two games that were unranked were against Nebraska, and they are 6-2 in their conference, going for the sweep of Minnesota tomorrow. They have a top 50 RPI. We have played a pretty brutal stretch so far. After Vanderbilt it gets much, much easier.

Losing games suck, but to say this team is no good and won't make the NCAAT right now is silly. We were receiving votes in most polls, and top 25 in Perfect Game. Win tomorrow, then go 3-1 this week at home and we are back in business. I expect that to happen, too. I think we win our next two series.

jry04

MSU just broke the NCAA attendance record today. It as previously held by...MSU.

Hogman2

We do not hit enough for average; do not hit with runners on base (no clutch hitting); play defense well enough; pitch well enough in situations.  You cannot walk the lead off batter in the bottom of the ninth inning; you cannot get into a 3-2 count with two outs and runners on first and second base so the runners get extra steps on a single! Simply: we are not good enough right now to win series against good teams in the SEC away from home!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Rice, did you already forget about the strike zone for that new ump last night? lol, He seemed to be in awe of the almighty LSU venue.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on April 12, 2014, 06:59:25 pm
MSU just broke the NCAA attendance record today. It as previously held by...MSU.

What I'm saying, it's not like the crowd keeps you from getting the play off before the :40 clock expires, or keeps you from audibiles.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2014, 07:46:11 pm
What I'm saying, it's not like the crowd keeps you from getting the play off before the :40 clock expires, or keeps you from audibiles.
I think we all know what you're saying. I agree the crowd was not real impressive, seen much better at Baum.

LSU sold something like 11,500 tickets and had 7000 in the stands last night. Not that big of deal really, we do that at Baum also.

Sometimes the packed houses affect the home team more than the visitors.

GioB26

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

I'm disappointed in this loss, but not disappointed in the teams effort and improvement. They keep fighting and getting better.

Going up against Nola and that strike zone last night, most teams would have laid down and probably have this year, but we kept fighting and almost came back.

Take away Bernal's bad night last night and Wernes' today and we may win both games. This is the second time this year, that I can remember, Wernes following up Bernal with a "head scratching" fielding performance the very next day.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

After todays games LSU moves into sole possession of 1st place overall in the conference.

We are still just 2.5 games out of 1st place overall.

SEC is just beating each other up and we are still in the mix.

EDIT:  Alabama just came back and beat Auburn so Bama is in 1st at 9-6 and Hogs are back 3.0

ricepig

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 12, 2014, 08:16:24 pm
After todays games LSU moves into sole possession of 1st place overall in the conference.

We are still just 2.5 games out of 1st place overall.

SEC is just beating each other up and we are still in the mix.

Thus my question of whether anyone was good? They are ok, but so are we.