Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sidney Moncrief's Case for the Hall of Fame

Started by Fatty McGee, April 11, 2014, 04:19:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hogwop

April 11, 2014, 07:12:33 pm #3 Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:23:58 pm by Hogwop
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 11, 2014, 04:26:30 pm
He deserves to be in the HOF.

2 time NBA Defensive POY
5 Time NBA All Defensive team (1 second team, 4 First team)
5 time All NBA (1 First team, 4 Second)

In 10 seasons with the Bucks he averaged 17 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, and 1 steal per game.

Sounds like a HOF career to me, but then again I'm a little biased.

Also, he was a 5 time all star. In the 82-83 All-Star game he scored 20 points, had 6 steals, 5 boards and 4 assists. Damn good game to not be All-Star MVP. His other showings in the All-star games we're pretty decent as well.

Here's a good look at Super Sid's career stats:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/moncrsi01.html
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

secfan30

Quote from: Hogwop on April 11, 2014, 07:12:33 pm
2 time NBA Defensive POY
5 Time NBA All Defensive team (1 second team, 4 First team)
5 time All NBA (1 First team, 4 Second)

In 10 seasons with the Bucks he averaged 17 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, and 1 steal per game.

Sounds like a HOF career to me, but then again I'm a little biased.

Also, he was a 5 time all star. In the 82-83 All-Star game he scored 20 points, had 6 steals, 5 boards and 4 assists. Damn good game to not be All-Star MVP. His other showings in the All-star games we're pretty decent as well.

Here's a good look at Super Sid's career stats:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/moncrsi01.html

Looking at his "similar" career stats, especially through 11 years. There are some very good players shown.

husker71

much much more deserving than Joe Dumars   Simmons book is a must read for all NBA fans who are more than just casual fans.

DeltaBoy

It past time for Super Sid to be in the HOF.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogwop

Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

No question!  One of the best, ever!

And when you add intangibles, like good ambassador for the game especially where he grew up and not just WHAT he did, but the WAY he did it.

Sir Sid belongs. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

I've seen him easily in the top 15 NBA PG's of all time on several different lists.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Dominicanhog

There's not a case against, slam dunk... ask the people he played with and against .. not stupid writers who never played the game.

Hogwop

Quote from: Notshavin on April 19, 2014, 08:05:14 pm
Good summary of his career, with great quotes by guys like MJ:

http://www.nba.com/history/legends/sidney-moncrief/index.html

Awesome read. Even the NBA considers him a legend. The HOF needs to get their shiz together and get him in.
Pigga what?!

How do you know you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

When your NBA team refers to 1979-1990 as "The Sidney Moncrief Era"

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Notshavin on April 19, 2014, 08:01:45 pm
I've seen him easily in the top 15 NBA PG's of all time on several different lists.

Not bad for a guy who played post in high school

Hogwop

While we're at it, Alvin Robertson should be in there too, in my opinion. He has the highest career average for steals per game at 2.7 and, I believe, the record for average steals per game for a season, at 3.7. 3.7! He was picking the pocket of guys like Isaiah, Magic, Jordan almost 4 times per game for an entire season, then turned around the next season and got 3.1 spg. He was a defensive beast, winning the Defensive Player of the Year award once, while being on the All Defensive team 6 times, All NBA second team once.

As great as he was on defense he also could handle his own on offense, averaging 14 points and 5 assists per, adding 5 rebounds each contest as well. Sure, on offense he wasn't as dynamic as some other guys, but he really made his name on the defensive side of the ball.

In my opinion both Sidney and Alvin deserve to be in the HOF, but I think Sid is the only one with a realistic shot.
Pigga what?!

Quote from: Hogwop on April 21, 2014, 11:06:49 am
While we're at it, Alvin Robertson should be in there too, in my opinion. He has the highest career average for steals per game at 2.7 and, I believe, the record for average steals per game for a season, at 3.7. 3.7! He was picking the pocket of guys like Isaiah, Magic, Jordan almost 4 times per game for an entire season, then turned around the next season and got 3.1 spg. He was a defensive beast, winning the Defensive Player of the Year award once, while being on the All Defensive team 6 times, All NBA second team once.

As great as he was on defense he also could handle his own on offense, averaging 14 points and 5 assists per, adding 5 rebounds each contest as well. Sure, on offense he wasn't as dynamic as some other guys, but he really made his name on the defensive side of the ball.

In my opinion both Sidney and Alvin deserve to be in the HOF, but I think Sid is the only one with a realistic shot.

You'd think the Defensive awards would put him over the hump for the HOF

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hogwop on April 21, 2014, 11:06:49 am

Alvin also one of a handful of NBA players to have gotten a quadruple double.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 21, 2014, 07:18:55 pm
Alvin also one of a handful of NBA players to have gotten a quadruple double.

The other 3 are all in the HOF: David Robinson, Hakeem and Nate Thurmond.

Bird missed one by one steal in a game he sat out the entire 4th quarter.

Hogwop

Quote from: Notshavin on April 21, 2014, 02:59:39 pm
You'd think the Defensive awards would put him over the hump for the HOF

I actually meant to say this in my post and I guess I left it out, but yes, you would think his defensive abilities would be enough to get him in. I just don't think he really has much of a chance. Does he even ever get a mention when HOF voting is going on?

All I know is these were 2 great Razorbacks, 2 great NBA players who aren't getting the recognition they deserve. They both played during what is considered one of the NBA's "golden ages" and they both did remarkably well while in the Association.
Pigga what?!

Hogwop

3 of the first 4 winners of  NBA Defensive Player of the Year were former Razorbacks.

If Dikembe Mutombo and Dennis Rodman are HOFers (In my eyes they are whether they're in or not, I haven't checked) they got there because of their defensive/rebounding prowess. If that can get them there, Alvin's defensive ability should get him in as well, imo.
Pigga what?!