Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was Dave Wanndstedt doing at practice?

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, April 11, 2014, 01:49:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

I'm hearing he was at practice yeaterday.  Anybody have the skinny in that?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PorkRinds

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 11, 2014, 01:49:11 pm

Robb Smith is a Wanndstedt disciple I think, so that could be part of it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on April 11, 2014, 01:49:11 pm

Probably watching.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Professor Psychosis

Well, Wannstedt did work for Jeff Long at Pitt, so there's that connection.

He is currently unemployed.  It's not that unusual for coaches to visit practices in that situation, particularly if they have buddies on staff.  A way to get an outsider's perspective on the team.

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

hoggusamoungus

Wannstedt watches

Former Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt was in town to take in practice.
Wannstedt, who helped recommend Robb Smith for the defensive coordinator's post after working with him at Tampa Bay last season, appeared to be taking notes on the workout.
"He's a great resource," Smith said. "He's kind of pseudo-retired right now.
He still loves being around the game of football. He knows Arkansas pretty well, just from his ties to Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones and Jeff Long. I'm anxious to get some feedback from him."

LZH

Henry Hogsome

yraciv

Another eye! Every team does it, bringing in coaches with experience to get another perspective on things is a way to get better.  Maybe down the road, something will open up, and he'd consider a job ala Kiffin and Bama, but as of right now that is not available.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ifghog

He wasn't a bad coach..just wasn't a great coach.....could be a good fit on this staff no doubt! I do not look for that to ever happen though.

BigSexyHog

Scouting for Auburn since we play them the first game of the year.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Fayettechill14

Jeff Long hired him at Pitt. He also coached Randy Shannon and Robb Smith in the past. So he has lots of connections.

The_Bionic_Pig

He's a decent Head Coach but a FANTASTIC Defensive mind who loves the game.  I promise you his involvement with our schemes consists of more than just being a spectator.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ldfergu

Quote from: tallahasseehog on April 11, 2014, 04:26:51 pm
Hopefully teaching Bielema on how to grow a sweet stache!

I would support this more than the unlucky wind breaker

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 11, 2014, 02:29:41 pm
Wannstedt watches

Former Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt was in town to take in practice.
Wannstedt, who helped recommend Robb Smith for the defensive coordinator's post after working with him at Tampa Bay last season, appeared to be taking notes on the workout.
"He's a great resource," Smith said. "He's kind of pseudo-retired right now.
He still loves being around the game of football. He knows Arkansas pretty well, just from his ties to Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones and Jeff Long. I'm anxious to get some feedback from him."

He also knows Randy Shannon

BigoBoys

Lobbying for some Catfish Hole Hush Puppies

MatCauthon

Always good to get a different set of eyes to look at things and evaluate.

LL COOL HOG

You guys can start some better rumors. The truth sounds boring. :)

Danny J

Mitch C

He was here to study under Robert Shields.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

rusvegashog

mbd1475

Quote from: Daddy Pork on April 11, 2014, 11:13:11 pm
He was here to study under Robert Shields.

I asked Dave if this rumor was true, and he responded, "Who is Robert Shields?"

hoglady

He was interviewed on Bo's show yesterday.
Just here to observe the defense / he and Robb Smith are buddies.
Said we need more depth.
That basically 2 years of a dumpster fire are hard to recover from.
That hopefully we can win enough games to keep everyone off the coaching staffs back until we can get more players in here.
That he can really see the Wisconsin blueprint taking hold.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

razorsharptusk

I bet this raises the intensity level of the players on the field when someone with the credentials of Wanndsedt is watching you practice. 
GO HOGS!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: ifghog on April 11, 2014, 03:04:54 pm
He wasn't a bad coach..just wasn't a great coach.....could be a good fit on this staff no doubt! I do not look for that to ever happen though.

He was awful.   ...at every level. He needs to stay away. Far far away.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 12, 2014, 07:21:22 am

As a  head coach I agree with you. But as a defensive coordinator he was pretty good.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hogcard1964

Quote from: locusbug on April 12, 2014, 07:24:41 am
As a  head coach I agree with you. But as a defensive coordinator he was pretty good.

Where and when?

Chief Mac

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2014, 01:50:58 pm
Robb Smith is a Wanndstedt disciple I think, so that could be part of it.

There is also the Randy Shannon connection to Wanndstedt. 

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 12, 2014, 07:21:22 am
It's like you really don't know a damn thing about football.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 12, 2014, 10:29:41 am

No he is like a bunch of others that comes to a thread and reads what is being said. Then he thinks what is the most opposite outrageous one sentence post he can make.

I call these guys "drive by shooters".  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogFanatic

Quote from: hoglady on April 12, 2014, 06:50:17 am
Said we need more depth.
That hopefully we can win enough games to keep everyone off the coaching staffs back until we can get more players in here.

People need to keep info like this in mind in the event things don't go so well again this season.
I don't think things will be all that bad though. We really just need to be marginally better on defense. With a more aggressive approach I think the team will create more turnovers this year and the offense will be greatly improved. I think we easily win six.

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

jry04

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 12, 2014, 07:57:59 am
Where and when?
You serious? Do you just say stuff for the heck of it?

He was the DC for the Cowboys for a few years under Jimmy Johnson, one of the years they won the Super Bowl. He was also the DC at Miami under Johnson where they won a National Championship.

If being the DC for a champion at both the NFL and College level is awful at every level, then I would want to be awful.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MatCauthon on April 11, 2014, 09:37:49 pm
Always good to get a different set of eyes to look at things and evaluate.

No wonder a lot of people on here don't like closed practices. They can't watch and evaluate and then come on here and tell the coaches how they are doing it all wrong................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jry04 on April 12, 2014, 11:20:03 am
You serious? Do you just say stuff for the heck of it?

He was the DC for the Cowboys for a few years under Jimmy Johnson, one of the years they won the Super Bowl. He was also the DC at Miami under Johnson where they won a National Championship.

If being the DC for a champion at both the NFL and College level is awful at every level, then I would want to be awful.

He is just drive by shooting and has no desire to have a conversation. He will either ignore our comments or comeback with some insanely outrageous statement that even the worst debate team wouldn't  do.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 11, 2014, 03:50:50 pm
He's a decent Head Coach but a FANTASTIC Defensive mind who loves the game.  I promise you his involvement with our schemes consists of more than just being a spectator.

Bet you are right

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 12, 2014, 10:29:41 am

haha.. you got me cracking up! +1
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

snoblind

gchamblee

anyone that pays attention to hogcard is wasting their time. dave is a helluva defensive coach.

Mike Irwin

Essentially he's an unpaid member of the coaching staff for the next several days. He sits in on meetings and observes practice. The only thing he doesn't do is coach the players.

Bielema said he brought him in to get a fresh perspective on the defense. He said he prepared a list of questions in advance and after watching the rest of the spring he wants Wannstedt to answer those questions. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2014, 03:03:48 pm
Essentially he's an unpaid member of the coaching staff for the next several days. He sits in on meetings and observes practice. The only thing he doesn't do is coach the players.

Bielema said he brought him in to get a fresh perspective on the defense. He said he prepared a list of questions in advance and after watching the rest of the spring he wants Wannstedt to answer those questions.

That's pretty amazing actually. I like it.

Hogpkins

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2014, 03:03:48 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.  I didn't attend the scrimmage today but I heard he was sporting Hog gear. That's pretty cool.  I've always had tons of respect for him as a coach, even if he couldn't win in the NFL regularly as a head coach. That doesn't detract from what he did as a coordinator one bit in my mind.

opineonswine

Quote from: hoglady on April 12, 2014, 06:50:17 am
Said we need more depth.

Uh oh. The Petrino Defenders ain't gonna like that.

snoblind

Quote from: opineonswine on April 12, 2014, 03:39:06 pm
Uh oh. The Petrino Defenders ain't gonna like that.

I've noticed the fan boys have stayed away from the E. K. Franks thread...

hoghearted

Great idea to bring in a fresh pair of eyes. 
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle