Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 35 Thread: #24 Arkansas (21-13, 6-6 SEC) vs. #8 LSU (25-8-1, 6-5-1 SEC)

Started by ucahogfan, April 11, 2014, 01:30:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgtahm

Quote from: kennymayne on April 11, 2014, 10:17:14 pm
Just stop. If you leave a base, any base, before the ball is caught, you have to return to that base or it is a force out.

Nope, if the batter is put out first, the force is removed. Runners trying to tag is the only time they can be put out without a tag out other than a force. Look it up.

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 11, 2014, 10:04:36 pm
Yeah, let's not forget he is our catcher who had cut down 2 runners earlier in the game and our backup was no longer available.
And he did get a good hit during the game but a base running error probably caused us to not get at least one run in the inning...
He did his job....

kennymayne

Quote from: hawgtahm on April 11, 2014, 10:26:14 pm
Nope, if the batter is put out first, the force is removed. Runners trying to tag is the only time they can be put out without a tag out other than a force. Look it up.
Ok, man. You just keep digging. You don't have to tag up at first, you're right he shouldn't have been out. Never mind people get doubled off at first routinely.  You're right, baseball is wrong.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: bulldog04 on April 11, 2014, 10:25:28 pm
Bernal has been shaky at SS the last few games but there is really nothing that can be done there.  McAfee is hurt and Anderson would be worse.  Maybe Wernes?
Wernes to SS and Eagan to 3rd?

Blutoblutarsky

hawgtahm

Quote from: kennymayne on April 11, 2014, 10:39:48 pm
Ok, man. You just keep digging. You don't have to tag up at first, you're right he shouldn't have been out. Never mind people get doubled off at first routinely.  You're right, baseball is wrong.

I think you misunderstood what I said. The runner on first was most certainly out. That was never in question. I should have said "Runners trying to tag is the only time they can be put out without being tagged out other than a force". Meaning you simply have to possess the ball and touch the base. It is not a force play. Did you look it up. I did, just to make sure, because posters in this forum are usually pretty astute.

kennymayne

ucahogfan

Here is a video of Spoon's catch which was not on #SCtop10 in the 10 PM CST SportsCenter.

hawgtahm

Pretty much, did you read the thread, or jump in the middle. Uca thought a run shouldn't have counted because a runner was doubled off first on a fly ball. That's only the case if it happens before the run crosses the plate.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hawgtahm on April 11, 2014, 11:01:33 pm
Pretty much, did you read the thread, or jump in the middle. Uca thought a run shouldn't have counted because a runner was doubled off first on a fly ball. That's only the case if it happens before the run crosses the plate.
I didn't think a run shouldn't have counted.  I didn't know if it did with us doubling the runner off of 1st much like with a force play say when a runner on 3rd crosses home plate before a typical 6-3 groundout with 2 outs occurs.

kennymayne

Well then you said that you had never heard of a force at first so I hope you can see the source of my confusion. But yes, the run should have scored.

hawgtahm

I still haven't, but the point is moot. The run should have and did count, unless baseball is wrong. . ;)

kennymayne

If you can read I said it should have counted. Also, there are lots of force plays at first in every game, that's just FYI.

pigture perfect

Quote from: hawgtahm on April 11, 2014, 11:18:54 pm
I still haven't, but the point is moot. The run should have and did count, unless baseball is wrong. . ;)
you might be able to see that this is when I was was able to read the thread (5:30 am) you have argued wrongly and made this thread much longer than it should have been. It was a force out, and the run did score.

Great pbp as always UCA. Sounds like Nola was given a gift win tonight. I really hate weak officiating.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hawgtahm

No I did not. Please, pretty please, look it up. A force is when a runner is forced to leave a base, not get back to a base, by way of a batter becoming a runner. Here, I'll help...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Force_out

Baseball Hog

Baseball Hog

Directly from MLB rules:

Example: Not a force out. One out. Runner on first and third. Batter flies out. Two out. Runner on third tags up and scores. Runner on first tries to retouch before throw from fielder reaches first baseman, but does not get back in time and is out. Three outs. If, in umpire’s judgment, the runner from third touched home before the ball was held at first base, the run counts.

hawgtahm

Thank you, BH. It was not my intention to derail the thread, but I am NOT the one who made it longer by arguing incorrectly.